TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear Leaf Springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcgearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2017 at 4:03pm
Maybe I'm overthinking the springs,cutoff, not having a bottom coil that was wound at an angle to set in the perch to keep it perpendicular to the spring body.I know the bottom coil is a different angle to make this happen.Thought this could cause a problem with the spring popping out.uncljohn,i read your thread on the spring cut,just concerned about the perch angle.Again,thanks guys.
1972 SST, 2001 MERC., 2008 CROSSBONES If it moves,it's going to break!!
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2017 at 4:45pm
I have close to 60,000 miles on my Spirit with them cut out as I do them with no problem and as it has been pointed out, it is an old school approach to lowering a car and it works. As to springs popping out? No reason to expect it unless abused or used in extreme performance conditions. In that case it is a different animal all together. After all, AMC's were used by the Arizona Highway patrol and there they did have a track record of springs coming out when running high speed pursuit over desert roads with "Whoop De Doos" in them.
Personally my Mark Donohue with over 100,000 miles on it, has never tossed a spring, nor has my Spirit or Valerie's AMX nor has anyone else I know either. like I said, I stopped overthinking things a long time ago and my 76 Hornet will have some severely modified front suspension and I am not going to worry about it either.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2017 at 12:37pm
Just an overdue update, my rear leaf springs are still worn out. It rides fine and my driveline geometry is near perfect. Cutting the coils netted me about 1-1/2" drop in front. I'd like a bit more but don't feel like pulling them out again. I had the rear up pretty high with the adjustable long shackles and the geometry wasn't good. It also didn't rail corners as well. Looked darn good though. I lowered it down to the top hole and it handles much better. I was able to get my transmission and pinion at exact opposing angles and about 1.5* u joint angle on each. Perfect for a ladderbar or linked suspension. I'd like a few more degrees down on the pinion for angle change under acceleration, but it's primarily a cruiser anyway. I'm gonna mitigate that by building a set of homemade cal tracs style traction bars eventually.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic