Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rear end swap 56-66 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 12:05pm
I tried to contact Gus Averil, but my email got kicked back. Has anyone else been able to contact him, get an adapter, bought one, or make one? I want to use my torque tube rear with a modern drivetrain, and would really like some suggestions. Thanks again. Cricket
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2015 at 6:48am
This is member fox12303's late model Mustang 8.8" installation in a 1964 Classic. He used a 1989 model, but any Fox body axle should be the same. Don't relegate yourself to the 8.8" if running a six or even a small V-8 for a cruiser. The 7.5" axle was used in all Mustangs until 1986, even GT V-8s (and the heavier T-bird). It's stronger than most think, and it is 70-80 pounds lighter than the 8.8". Unless you plan on drag racing with slicks and a high power engine the 7.5" will be fine.  The 7.5 will also cost a lot less, as it isn't in demand like the 8.8".

The Mustang axle has some offset but it is almost identical to the original AMC axle. The Rambler axle measured 58.5", Fox Mustang is published as 59.25" - only 3/4" wider.  A tubular crossmember was used for the upper arm mounts. Look closely at the photos you will see that the crossmember is in the same location as the rear rubber brake line mount on the floor. The mount was moved to the crossmember, and you can see the end of the original mount welded to the floor. He used a Summit Racing tubular rear control arm kit. Material for the crossmember is 2" DOM tubing and 1/8" steel plate for all brackets.

The original thread is located here: He also installed a Ford 302 and AOD, but the axle install will work with any engine, even an AMC -- just need to build the appropriate driveshaft.

Edited by farna - Nov/04/2015 at 7:03am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic