TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rear end swap 56-66 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2015 at 2:07pm
I guess you called and talked to them. I've looked at their standard kits and the 78-88 GM G-body (Buick Regal, Chevy Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix... the last small rear drives) kit looks like the perfect one for all the big Ramblers with coil spring in the rear. Will be interested in seeing pics of the installation, and what mods you have to do to the crossmember.  What rear axle are you using? Did you have to modify it or use special offset wheels?
Frank Swygert
59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2015 at 10:33pm
I spoke with them and based on the specs that's what They recommended. I have a dana 35 in it with wheel spacers cut down to fit the Wheels right now. They stick out a little. I have a 8.8 explorer rear waiting in the wings for the next set up. I need to get brake drums to check if the wheels will fit. I think they should fit since they fit over a similar ford ranger front disc set up.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2015 at 7:02am
i ran a Commanche D35 for a short time with 3-3/4" backset  7" wide American Racing steel wheels. They would scrub in the wheel wells of my 63 Classic wagon if I had any kind of load at all, even just back seat passengers. Fine with just a couple in front. I still had the stock springs though, stiffer ones would have helped -- so would another 1/2" of backset. Did you mention what wheels you are running? You must have a FWD/4WD style deep backset wheel to use spacers with them. Of course the rear drive Mustang and others are now using deep wheels...

Would love to see photos both before and after installation. If you can't post them e-mail me (farna@amc-mag.com) and I'll do it for you.
Frank Swygert
59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2015 at 8:47pm
I'm running the stock rambler wheels. I forget which size tire but they don't rub. The spacer was nessary with the wrangler d35 due to the end of the axle hub being to big. The center hole in the wheel would not fit over it. I had the spacer machined to allow the wheel to fit over the spacer center hole. The tires stick out a bit but this give a hint that the car has a little more that the 196 up its sleeve.

I'll post pics when I get started. Still far too cold and snowy to start this project.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2015 at 6:45am
I was running 7" wheels, the stock 63 Classic/196 wheels are 6" IIRC, and the older ones are either 5.5" or 6". The 59 (probably 56-62) must have a bit more room in the wheel well to the outside, which is good to know.
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2015 at 8:36am
The Craigslist add is running again and I need to get out the plumb bob and strip the wheels off my Torque tube rear and get a measurement.

I'm thinking this Jeep rear must be a wide track, not sure. He quoted 61" WMS-WMS which may work with a late model Mustang wheel, but not sure I want to go that way with this car?

The idea of using an AMC 20 with the 3:31 gear
set is appealing to me, but I may just say fork it and find an 8.8".

oh, asking price for the AMC 20 has come down to $200 which I think is reasonable.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2015 at 9:23am
I just went through this entire thread and I can't find any real mention of what the axle width is. track width? yes. Rear end width? NO

So, axle DMS-DMS is 58.5"s  That is Drum mounting surface. You can add in the disc or drum thickness of your choice.

IIRC correctly the 93 Ranger went up 1.5"s from the 56.5 of an Earlier Ranger. Making that at about 58"s a darned good choice in an 8.8" YMMV
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2015 at 3:53pm
Correct Mark! The Explorer is 1.5" wider than the late (83+) Ranger, so it's just a little wide. But with some deeper aftermarket wheels it works well too.

On the early cars track width is just about the same as WMS to WMS (wheel mounting surface, close to DMS as drums aren't but about 1/8" thick at the hub). Wheels were most often centered, and track width (or tread) is measured from center of tire to center of tire. A few cars deviated from that, mostly foreign like Jaguar, but most US makes were that way until sometime in the early 80s.
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2015 at 7:39pm
Frank. I understand the track width deal. But a wms or dms width is nice to actually know. That's why I put it here.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 10:37am
Old, I know, but I was hoping for information.
Did the adapter work for you? Did you get the engine to tranny adapter, or the tranny to torque tube adapter? I am looking at the tranny to tube adapter, and wondering about the ability of it to hold power. It looks like twisting forces of the engine, or rear end would cause the tranny tail housing to snap, or the adapter itself. Have you put your car together to test this? I plane on using a 5.7 Dodge hemi, a 4l60E transmission, and keep my torque tube for ease of maintenance, and originality. I have been told the rear can handle the power, but am leary of the adapter. I have a 66 Rambler 770 Classic with the 327 Auto in it now.
 Thanks for your time.  Cricket
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
  Share Topic