TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear Disk Brake Conversion Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 6:26am
You should be able to use the CJ kit, but would need the rotors drilled for the 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. Any machine shop could do that easily. They would just drill the new pattern between the holes for the old. They may have a set of rotors made for a Ford that would work, they would need to be about the same diameter and offset as the ones used on the CJ though. Same manufacturer as the link in Mopar_guy's post, so they can probably supply what you need (I didn't look at his links, suggest you read them though since he's done the conversion).

Note that the kit you listed uses a GM caliper with park brake. You have to actually USE the park brake on occasion to keep it adjusted, as the self adjusting mechanism relies on the brake being activated to work. Don't have to use it all the time, but I'd use it once a month or so depending on how often you drive the car. If a daily driver you might want to use it more often, show car maybe not so much.
Frank Swygert
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 9:11am
Originally posted by maddvector maddvector wrote:

Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Don't forget the wheel lug bolt pattern on a 71 Javelin is 5 on 4.5 inch spacing.

I think the wheel lug bolt spacing on a Jeep is 5 on 5.5 inch spacing. or maybe 5 inch spacing can't remember

If they were the same as AMC cars,  us AMC car guys would have access to new AMC20 hubs. The Jeep aftermarket makes and sells hubs for Jeep AM20 with the 5 on 5.5 inch spacing.

Guess I'm trying to tell you that everything else will bolt up from the kit above, but your wheels won't.

There are aftermarket suppliers that make kits for AMC cars. Wilwood is one of them, I think others do as well.

I appreciate the information. After researching the bolt pattern only the Wrangler used a 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

I will more than likely use the wilwood. I was trying to find something more cost affordable...

I have the Wilwood kit. It uses a set of shoes and a drum inside the rotor for park brakes, so the caliper isn't involved in moving the piston by using threads that jam up over time. The calipe ris a four piston aluminum unit. Some of the reason the Wilwood set is more expensive it because it is more exravagent and less based on a daily driver sort of concept. The others use off the shelf rotors and calipers that look like cheaper factory units rather than lightweight aluminum.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 9:17am

Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Don't forget the wheel lug bolt pattern on a 71 Javelin is 5 on 4.5 inch spacing.

I think the wheel lug bolt spacing on a Jeep is 5 on 5.5 inch spacing. or maybe 5 inch spacing can't remember

If they were the same as AMC cars,  us AMC car guys would have access to new AMC20 hubs. The Jeep aftermarket makes and sells hubs for Jeep AM20 with the 5 on 5.5 inch spacing.

Guess I'm trying to tell you that everything else will bolt up from the kit above, but your wheels won't.

There are aftermarket suppliers that make kits for AMC cars. Wilwood is one of them, I think others do as well.

I appreciate the information. After researching the bolt pattern only the Wrangler used a 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

I will more than likely use the wilwood. I was trying to find something more cost affordable...

I have the Wilwood kit. It uses shoes and a drum inside the rotor for the park brake.  You don't have to continually set the brake to adjust them.  The Wilwwod kit is more expensive because it has all custom parts, like aluminum four piston calipers that add bling while providing brakes that work safely. The Wilwood kit is probably not the best for a daily driver because of the extra expense. A cruiser and car show ride, Yeah !
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 9:38am
TSM makes a set specifically for AMC cars.

I don't think the Jeep AMC20 kit would work even if re-drilled because the center hole in the rotor would be too large to center the rotor on the hub.

I ran a TSM kit on my CJ for years, it worked very well.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 10:33am
I was going to run 2001 Ford Explorer 4x4 rotors over my AMC axle hubs with a universal GM weld on caliper plate and use GM calipers. They fit and the centers are proper size. Plans changed so i am further customising with a different setup.

I dont have my axles any more so i cannot tell you how far the offset is over the tube ends, as the depth of the 4x4 rotors are deeper than most. They were designed to have wee drum shoes for park brakes unlike most with a caliper adjuster to keep pressure locked for parking brake. Gotvthe idea from a bronco conversion thread using Explorer axles and cheap alternative disc brakes. I kept the axle idea for my current setup.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
maddvector View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddvector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 7:56am

SSBC Performance Brakes A150-2 Drum To Disc Brake Conversion Kit

Built In Parking Brake Added Safety/Street Legal
Standard Off The Shelf Pads For Easy Replacement
Below is an abbreviated list of applications for the Drum To Disc Brake Conversion Kit.
AMX, Javelin, American Motors, 1974, 1973, 1972, 1971, 1970, 1969, 1968
The kit isn't listed on their web site but you can call 1-800-448-7722 and order it.
It should work on other AMC cars with the Model 20 Rear End.
It takes 3 weeks for them to get it to you.
The cost is $588 + shipping.
Chris game me a 10% Military Discount.

The kit arrived on Friday a full 2 weeks ahead of schedule. The kit has everything included to do the conversion.
Rubber and steel brake lines, new axle seals, plates, rotors & calipers.
I am very impressed with their kit.

I will post pictures when I install it.

I appreciate all of the input from everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic