TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear Disk Brake Conversion Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddvector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Disk Brake Conversion Kit
    Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 7:35am
Will this rear brake conversion kit work on my 71 Javelin?

Can be used on Wranglers 90-06 and Cherokees 84-01.

JEEP Dana 35 44 Rear Axle Disc Brake Conversion Kit Wrangler Cherokee Grand

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113186797142?ViewItem=&item=113186797142

Thanks
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 8:26am
I doubt it.   The Dana35 is very similar to the AMC15 used in 6 cylinder cars.  Much different from the AMC20 used in your Jav.  I know the bolt pattern on the backing plates is different.  

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
maddvector View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddvector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

I doubt it.   The Dana35 is very similar to the AMC15 used in 6 cylinder cars.  Much different from the AMC20 used in your Jav.  I know the bolt pattern on the backing plates is different.  

Bob
tufcj

If I find a disk brake conversion for a Jeep AMC20 rear end will that work?
Does it have to be from a certain year for it to work on my 71 Javelin?

Thanks for the reply!
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 10:04am
i believe all AM20's use the same backing plates 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddvector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 11:35am
'76-'86 Jeep CJ 5 - 7 & 8 Model 20 axle fits two piece & one piece axles. Complete Kit includes: CNC cut brackets, fasteners, short cable extension (connects park brake cable), stainless brake lines, new 11 9/16" vented rotors & New (not rebuilt) Calipers with a parking brake.   Fits 15 Inch and Larger Disc Brake Style Wheels $659.95 Kit # 2590+   

This one should work?
http://www.tsmmfg.com/Rear%20Disc/2590.html
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 11:52am
Don't forget the wheel lug bolt pattern on a 71 Javelin is 5 on 4.5 inch spacing.

I think the wheel lug bolt spacing on a Jeep is 5 on 5.5 inch spacing. or maybe 5 inch spacing can't remember

If they were the same as AMC cars,  us AMC car guys would have access to new AMC20 hubs. The Jeep aftermarket makes and sells hubs for Jeep AM20 with the 5 on 5.5 inch spacing.

Guess I'm trying to tell you that everything else will bolt up from the kit above, but your wheels won't.

There are aftermarket suppliers that make kits for AMC cars. Wilwood is one of them, I think others do as well.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddvector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Don't forget the wheel lug bolt pattern on a 71 Javelin is 5 on 4.5 inch spacing.

I think the wheel lug bolt spacing on a Jeep is 5 on 5.5 inch spacing. or maybe 5 inch spacing can't remember

If they were the same as AMC cars,  us AMC car guys would have access to new AMC20 hubs. The Jeep aftermarket makes and sells hubs for Jeep AM20 with the 5 on 5.5 inch spacing.

Guess I'm trying to tell you that everything else will bolt up from the kit above, but your wheels won't.

There are aftermarket suppliers that make kits for AMC cars. Wilwood is one of them, I think others do as well.

I appreciate the information. After researching the bolt pattern only the Wrangler used a 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

I will more than likely use the wilwood. I was trying to find something more cost affordable...
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 12:22pm
A kit intended for a CJ won’t work because the rotors will have a 5x5” wheel stud pattern. You will need a rotor with 5x4.5”.
Tsmmfg makes such a kit, just make sure it is for an AMC car and not a Jeep.

I have done some preliminary research on using stock rear discs from a 92-95 Ford Crown-Vic. These rotors fit amc axles perfectly and the backing plates have the same mounting flange pattern as an AMC 20. I have actually physically confirmed this, the AMC has the same axle-flange bolt pattern as the small ford 8” and 9”.
Unfortunately center hole on the Crown-Vic backing plates is far too large. There would me no way to hold the bearings in the axle.
One could potentially install an outer seal plate behind the backing plate, but I haven’t tried this yet. Since I haven’t done a full mock-up yet, I still don’t know if the offsets would be close enough to even work.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 1:51pm
I did a swap with the same stuff and no it won't work. I found Ford rotors that worked using a similar bracket. Here's a kit you need to use https://www.tsmmfg.com/Rear%20Disc/american_motors.html
Hopefully you can find some of that useful. The guy that I worked with didn't get any orders so he never made them. To bad because he had a good price.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddvector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 2:13pm
SSBC Performance Brakes A150-2 Drum To Disc Brake Conversion Kit

Built In Parking Brake Added Safety/Street Legal
Standard Off The Shelf Pads For Easy Replacement

Below is an abbreviated list of applications for the Drum To Disc Brake Conversion Kit.
AMX, Javelin, American Motors, 1974, 1973, 1972, 1971, 1970, 1969, 1968

The kit isn't listed on their web site but you can call 1-800-448-7722 and order it.
It should work on other AMC cars with the Model 20 Rear End.
It takes 3 weeks for them to get it to you.

The cost is $588 + shipping.
Chris game me a 10% Military Discount.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic