TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear diff replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 6:03am
The hubs are only an issue with high power and/or really serious gears/tires/rock crawling. I mean custom Jeep serious, nothing you're likely to be doing with an Eagle. Jeep AMC 20s usually have one piece axle/hub, but are six lug (you can re-drill for five). The issues there are that J-truck/Wagoneer are too wide (and usually D44) and CJ are too narrow. XJ/MJ are the same width as Eagle.

Your issues seem to be YOUR axle, not AMC 15/D35 in particular. Get an XJ axle from the local junk yard -- most likely has just seen highway use. I'd replace the outer seals and bearings anywayif it has high mileage, but other than that should be good to go and relatively cheap.

There are AMC 20 rear brake kits. You can put rear brakes on anything by getting a hat type rotor and cutting the backing plate down, then welding universal mounts (from Speedway Motors and others) to the tubes. Use GM calipers, with or without park brake built in. I'd forego the park brake and carry a set of chocks when you need to park on a steep hill. I do that with my Jag IRS.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 6:53am
I had a hub spin on an AMC 15 torque tube diff because I never knew to re-torque it. It was changed to an AMC 20 with 9" brakes and 1 1/4" axles. I had no trouble with that one but changed it to one with 10" brakes and 1 3/8" axles. It has a slight pinion seal leak that I have to top off every year. I really should have changed that seal when I had it out to change carrier bearings. One thing I will say about the AMC 20, at least the T/T type, is that it is darned heavy.

I bought a big size 82 Jeep Cherokee that I found out had a leaking pinion seal because the nut had backed off. A new seal and a new nut staked so it couldn't come off again fixed that. 

I can't say i am a big fan of the the AMC differentials but I have also had trouble with others. The GM 10 and 12 bolt use the axles for the bearing surfaces which present their own set of problems.

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 7:56am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

XJ/MJ are the same width as Eagle.

Sounds like I just found my next BOM when the yards have a 50% off sale.

Your issues seem to be YOUR axle, not AMC 15/D35 in particular.

I care to agree with this more than anything but it also stems from things the previous owner did with this car. He used to tow a BIG boat with this car on its stock 2v 258, 3spd auto and 2.72 gears. He somehow destroyed the first axle and the one I have now was swapped in before he sold the car to me. As in the whole thing. It's stamped 3.08 and he swapped in the old 2.72 carrier and ring gear. This may actually be the main contributor to my problems with this car but the leaking only started happening AFTER the engine blew up years ago.

I'd forego the park brake and carry a set of chocks when you need to park on a steep hill.

NOT doing this. Neglecting a non-functional parking brake is how I nearly lost my Javelin earlier this year. I need the parking brake for insurance if something happens and in Seattle that can be literally anywhere.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 6:50am
Chocks are probably better than a park brake, but inconvenient to use a lot. There are plenty options for park brakes though. A go-cart mechanical caliper is great for a park brake. Will hold a non-moving car, but won't slow it if powered. So make sure you have a brake warning light. Hard to make two work off a single cable, but can be done. Or mount a small disc on the pinion and use there... but hard to mount caliper on diff.

I'd say the noise you have is from the old gears. Probably didn't change any seals when he swapped axle, maybe pinion seal, and it's at least 30 years old. 30 year old seals leaking is no surprise, even if they were brand new (NOS). Sitting hurts more than moving, you probably know that!

A newer D35 from an XJ Cherokee fits, shock mounts need to be changed around though... I think just one side. They are a bit stronger than the AMC 15, mainly due to one piece hub/axle, but I think the axle shafts are slightly larger also. Diff design is the same. I don't know if the front diff gears would interchange or not. Both are Dana 30 though....
Frank Swygert
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 2:01pm
Leaking differential.
It is either from the seal on the yoke or if you jack mup the car from the differential you can
move the cover plate enough to cause it to leak.  Ask me how I know about the cover. LOL

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 2:47pm
It depends on the year. Our front axles are low pinion and everything after our stuff is high pinion. Pretty sure this is the reason the throwout fork for our T-5s are high.It's probably the pinion seal or the cover. Ugh...I just really dread messing with this thing. Almost as much as brakes.
1971 Javelin SST

1983 American Limited
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 1:02pm
Parking brake solutions:
Line Lock like some drag cars.
A single master cyl connected to a lever which puts  pressure on the rear brakes, rally car style.
Or like my ProRaly SX/4 a stick that pushed the brake pedal that was wedged against the seat. LOL

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 1:48pm
I don't know about your particular AMC, but I dropped a Mopar A Body 8.75 rear into out Gremlin. It fit the perches like it was made for the car. Only problem was the axle tubes were much larger in diameter than the original AMC 15 rear, so I had to have custom U-bolts made to mount it. Also had to take it to a good brake shop to get E-brake cables that would work with the AMC cable from the front.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 3:59pm
Mopar 8¾" rear in a Gremlin?! Now THAT sounds like a good idea! Shocked If I remember the Chrysler New Yorker builds, that was a dropout carrier that would be easier to work on at the bench rather than under a big heavy car.
1971 Javelin SST

1983 American Limited
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

Mopar 8¾" rear in a Gremlin?! Now THAT sounds like a good idea! Shocked If I remember the Chrysler New Yorker builds, that was a dropout carrier that would be easier to work on at the bench rather than under a big heavy car.

Yes, and the third member is a ":quick change" unit, so changing gears is quite easy. I've already run 2.76, 3.55, and 3.23 (currently) in the car.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic