TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RE: Removing fender troughs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 9:55pm
I had a '74 AMX which had the complete left side trough rust and fall out. It didn't affect panel alignment or anything else.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 4:29pm
I'm pretty sure the shock towers can flex without the troughs on a javelin, I would at least fab up a shock tower firewall brace like the scramblers,used to tie it all together, and of course keep the fender to radiator support bars as well.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 4:31pm
For any kind of performance driving use I would think the car would benefit from having that reinforcement.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Originally posted by Ohio AMX Ohio AMX wrote:

I feel they are more for front end crash protection. Hornets don't have them.

I would agree Scott. I've been researching MII front ends for my car and found out that early Mustangs don't have such a support. It makes the AMC's a stronger car for sure but I don't think they're necessary after seeing how they're built.

60's Mustangs didnt have the extra bracing of troughs but they made up for that by having firewall to shock tower bracing, basically triangulating the engine bay, AMC did the same thing with SC/Ramblers. I think AMC would have done the same to the AMX if they didnt have the troughs instead so I'm thinking that they add rigidity even if the actual intent of the design was crash protection by creating a crumple zone.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2017 at 2:25pm
The troughs do add rigidity. The small body cars add this rigidity by using a triangular brace as shown below.
If you remove the trough on a Javelin or AMX I would add a similar structure to regain that rigidity, or have a cage :)
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2017 at 2:34pm
BTW, how low do you want the front?!
With the troughs in place the tires go up this far prior to contact...
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 12:41pm
Interesting! From my standpoint, looking up into my '65 Classic's front end, the passenger side trough is split about 4" deep running back from the tower, and the driver's side is practically gone. With very little to go on, I was worried about these as far as reconstructing them; as it is, I probably will remove what is left and depend on the very heavy bracing AMC put on the cowl-to-tower struts, or simplify the trough to a triangular brace similar to the Americans'.
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2017 at 9:58pm
Out of curiosity, does anybody know what a cutoff trough weighs?
69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2017 at 4:05am
Originally posted by XRX744 XRX744 wrote:

Out of curiosity, does anybody know what a cutoff trough weighs?

I'll be removing mine soon... well hopefully before fall sets in.

I have a pair of cut out suspension humps for modding which are about the same amount of metal. So as an estimate 17 to 20 lbs max.

As for the post before your question... you need some space between tire and trough for larger side walls and tread widths. Centripetal force causes diameter to increase at the treads mid area and will cause rub. My suspension and possibly CF when adjusted for low height with coil overs, will require trough removal and custom reinforcement.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2017 at 12:01pm
Humpster javelin trough was 6.5 lbs. So 13lbs for the pair   

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic