TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RE: Removing fender troughs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoparLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RE: Removing fender troughs
    Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 10:22pm
Question about the idea of removing the troughs in the front of a Javelin to gain more tire clearance after lowering the front suspension on a road race car. Are the troughs structural? In other words, if I remove them, do I have to do something else to replace the structural rigidity? What is the purpose of the trough in the first place?
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 10:30pm
Yes they are part of the structural rigidity of the vehicle. 
Like many racers, you can replace with tubing, but you will need to reinforce the firewall and radiator support areas. To tie into the radiator support or the end of the frame rails is relatively easy. To tie into the firewall/cowl area will take a little more work and planning to give you the correct structural support. If you have a cage, then you can tie into the cage. Careful planning and placement of the tubes is important so the structural integrity of the vehicle is maintained.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

MoparLove View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoparLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 10:37pm
Very helpful, thank you!
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 10:39pm
I feel they are more for front end crash protection. Hornets don't have them.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 9:00am
i have to side with the fact that they are for accident support not structure of being rigid body
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 9:08am
I cut mine half way long the top edge. Expecting seperation with the front lifted and engine and tranny intact. Frame and body are strong enough. Though I plan on adding tube as expressed the first reply.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Ohio AMX Ohio AMX wrote:

Is it possible that the Hornet doesn't need it for support, since it is about a foot shorter than the Javelin from the windshield forward?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Is it possible that the Hornet doesn't need it for support, since it is about a foot shorter than the Javelin from the windshield forward?

I can post a picture of my cut, as my car is lifted at the balanced center of the frame front wheels up engine and trannie installed. If I take my th400 out of the trunk, my car will nose dive. There is hardly any separation if any from the width of my cut long the front of the trough.

All another guy posted pix some time ago on his javelin. He cut his troughs and did not use any supports.

Though my troughs are semi trough, leaving the upper top in place with about 1-1/2" hang at the start of the trough. This way there is some rigidity and partial trough. Though I will have a reinforcing tube done up for performance use on a road track.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 7:17pm

I would agree Scott. I've been researching MII front ends for my car and found out that early Mustangs don't have such a support. It makes the AMC's a stronger car for sure but I don't think they're necessary after seeing how they're built.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 8:11pm
I cut mine off. There is a video of the car around here somewhere in the road racing section.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic