TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rare 70' Javelin Vinyl Roof?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 4:36pm
My dads dealership had a lot of aftermarket vinyl tops installed right there on the lot. The guy would hand bend the molding from straight pieces of soft aluminum molding materiel that he carried with him. He did a very nice job, and he also had some pretty crazy patterns of vinyl available too like pazely, houndstooth and some phycedelic (spelling) looking print. Wacko 
As I remember they had him doing mostly Ambos, Rebel's, some Marlins, and once in a while a Javelin or Hornet.

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 12:18am
I like the longer tails (unique) on Bill's & his brothers vinyl tops much more than the silver one which to me looks like any common sedan in 1970.

Don't see too many silver Donohues-period. Nice car!
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 8:11pm
I had a 70 Mark Donohue Javelin that I purchased from the original owner in Sea-Tac, WA the Summer of 1976. It was a 360 4 speed go pack in triple Green. It had the full vinyl top. I also owned this Sonic Silver 360 auto go pack Mark Donohue and I had the Original Factory Vinyl top replaced in 2000 after having the car repainted. The installer could not match the factory grain pattern so he used an upgraded material and also added the padding to give the top a richer look. When the old top was removed the metal was a grey primer color and not body color. The glue was a dark yellow and there was a very light top rust in some areas. The installer reused the rear molding trim and I looked at it when off of the car and It did not appear to be generic or aftermarket.

Edited by 17tamx - Feb/07/2016 at 8:46pm
Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 8:32pm
That half-vinyl roof seems to me to be the automotive equivalent of a receding hairline.

Full vinyl or none.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

That half-vinyl roof seems to me to be the automotive equivalent of a receding hairline.

Full vinyl or none.

I kinda like landau roofs on Javelins... well on 71 and 72 models only came that way if vinyl was ordered.

Mine had it and I too see a bit of grey primer and some surface rust. I wonder if primer was not thick enough to withstand the abuse from heat expansion and cold compresion through time. As I would think the whole body would've been shot equally, as for paint it would be quicker to skip where it will be most covered.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

My dads dealership had a lot of aftermarket vinyl tops installed right there on the lot. The guy would hand bend the molding from straight pieces of soft aluminum molding materiel that he carried with him. He did a very nice job, and he also had some pretty crazy patterns of vinyl available too like pazely, houndstooth and some phycedelic (spelling) looking print. Wacko 
As I remember they had him doing mostly Ambos, Rebel's, some Marlins, and once in a while a Javelin or Hornet.

Yes, that is for sure. I was one of those people that installed vinyl tops back then and bent the chrome trim. I put many on at my shop in the 70's. I even invested in a whitewall machine that actually ground out a path on the tires and placed the whitewalls on.
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1957 Chev BelAir 2 dr HT 327 Selling
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by 17tamx 17tamx wrote:

I had a 70 Mark Donohue Javelin that I purchased from the original owner in Sea-Tac, WA the Summer of 1976. It was a 360 4 speed go pack in triple Green. It had the full vinyl top. I also owned this Sonic Silver 360 auto go pack Mark Donohue and I had the Original Factory Vinyl top replaced in 2000 after having the car repainted. The installer could not match the factory grain pattern so he used an upgraded material and also added the padding to give the top a richer look. When the old top was removed the metal was a grey primer color and not body color. The glue was a dark yellow and there was a very light top rust in some areas. The installer reused the rear molding trim and I looked at it when off of the car and It did not appear to be generic or aftermarket.

Kirk:
I'm confused by the "triple green" note, since green was not a factory vinyl top color for AMC in 1970.

And also, the nice Sonic Silver car's vinyl top is not a factory top, as I noted in my post a couple of years ago. There was a great after-market supply and demand of 'custom' vinyl tops back in the late '60's and early '70's. This is surely one of those.

I would make an educated guess that 95% of the '70 Javelins that left the factory with a vinyl top, had the half-landau top, which was a major marketing point in 1970. See my notes a few posts back on how a few came with the full-vinyl top.

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 12:38pm
AMC had a Spring Special Javelin with a half vinyl roof for 1970. It only for about 6 months they made them , so they are fairly rare, but you do see one or two once in a while. It was one of those deals where AMC did some thing a little different to try and add some sales to what was pretty much then a three year old body style and add a bit of Pizzas! I've got a factory photo of one in my files. LRDaum 
LRDaum
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

AMC had a Spring Special Javelin with a half vinyl roof for 1970. It only for about 6 months they made them , so they are fairly rare, but you do see one or two once in a while. It was one of those deals where AMC did some thing a little different to try and add some sales to what was pretty much then a three year old body style and add a bit of Pizzas! I've got a factory photo of one in my files. LRDaum 

Larry: I think you mean the FULL roof. The half roof was the highly advertised new look for the whole '70 model year. AFAIK, the full vinyl roof was only available for a few months, as part of the Red, White, and Blue Sale package of options, see my earlier posts on page 1.

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 1:12pm
Part of the problem is all I get on page one is broken photos links. The second problem is I'd have to go pull my 1970 and check every thing, which I've not done yet. I do recall the half vinyl roofs are much less common in my mind then the full vinyl roof in 1970. I'll check later. My 1970 file is really big.
 LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic