TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rapidair MaxLine compressed air piping system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rapidair MaxLine compressed air piping system
    Posted: Jul/05/2015 at 7:40pm
Last April the wife and I move from CT to N.C. and with it I got a much needed larger garage. It measures about 38’x24’ and has a work shop/storage area of 12’x24’ making the building about 50’ wide x 24’deep. I have my trailer, Gremlin & Javelin in there and can work on the Javelin.

The Garage/shop did not have enough power to run anything other than the 3 - 8’ lights, 2 in garage 1 in shop so had the power upgraded, more lights added, 8 – 8’ 4 bulb lights in the garage, more outlets and wired up my Snap On Big Red air compressor I brought with me and piped in my homemade air dryer.

Because the compressor is at the other end of the garage and did not want a mile of hose to trip over I bought 2 kits (cheaper then 1 kit, 100’ of pipe and the fittings I would need for the job) & fittings made just for compressed air. It is ¾” pipe & fittings. I also bought a 1” regulator, it was less $ than the ¾” one, as the max psi on the piping is 175 psi@75* / 140 psi@140* my system shuts off @175 and it gets HOT in that garage so will cut back the psi some.

I ran a piping loop all the way around at the top of the walls using 90* in the 4 corners and Tees at the 5 air hose drops (1 in each garage bay, 1 at each side of garage, and last 1 at front between each bay to be used outside if needed) and 1 Tee from the dryer to the loop.
It would help if you had an extra hand as I did not, to help unroll the coil of piping to get & keep it straight and to help to measure it; I used Velcro around pipe and tape measure to hold it on the end for the longer runs. Also the kit said to use holder/clamps every 5’ but found it best to do every 3’ after the 2’ I came in from each corner. I also found to use a little grease on the threads of the compression fittings when tightening to get the ¾ turn after hand tight. Other than that pretty easy to install. Other than a test psi of 120 so far all looks to be good and no leaks but did not spend much time after I had the 120 psi on it.

Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
ttrrogg View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrrogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 6:17am
Nice job, always wonder how that stuff was and how expensive it is
1970 Big Bad Blue javelin sst
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 8:46am
That's great Dave and so happy for you to finally have a nice shop to work in. I am in western nc. Wish we were closer together. I need an amc buddy to play with.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 9:18am
Thanks guys. Sorry I should have posted a link to where I got it from.
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/
link to the kit
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/tools/air-compressor-air-delivery-systems.html

It was a lot cheaper than Amazon even as a prime member.
As I pointed out I bought 2 kits as 1 did not have enough piping and I needed more fittings than the 1 kit came with. When I priced it out for 100' pipe only it was more then a kit so a second kit it was plus some extra fittings to complete the job.

With drops in the back of each bay, 1 between the bays up front and 1 on ether side should be more then enough as 1 in the back & 1 side I will not use as my trailer is stored there and can get to them.

As for close to have a AMC buddy sorry. There is a member I think from Franklin NC. IIRC that is north/west would he be close?
I had a guy stop by with a Gremlin on his way home from a show when I first moved in I should drop him a line to see how he is doing.

Kills me with all this nice weather, not like back in CT, and I don't have anything that I can drive or take to a show and why I am getting the garage up & running.

Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 10:47am
Yes. I am about 40 miles west of franklin.
2AMCKIDZ View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2AMCKIDZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 5:56pm
I am looking into running air from my house to a shed .Do you know if you can run this underground ?(100ft.)
Joe
1969 AMX
1971 Gremlin
gtpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 9:27pm
I used the same stuff in my shop.  I looped it up and down on the wall to give the moisture more area to cool and condense.  I put my drains and outlets at the low points.  I have used this system for painting and media blasting and have had no moisture issues,

1968 AMX 390 4speed
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2015 at 12:41am
Originally posted by 2AMCKIDZ 2AMCKIDZ wrote:

I am looking into running air from my house to a shed .Do you know if you can run this underground ?(100ft.)
Joe
I don't see why you cant as it is plastic lined (inside & outside) alum. pipe. Only thing is if under ground and it is the lowest point water will collect there and you will have no way to remove it. Also come winter that water would freeze and my not get any air thru.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2015 at 12:44am
GTpower that is nice. old garage I did not have the wall space and why I did the fin tube for cooling and used it in the new garage.
If you also see the close up of one of the drops I add a 6" pipe at the bottom as a drip leg.
Come paint time I will get a filter/dryer assy. and plug it in to one of the drops like the hose and then the hose into it. Will only be used for painting.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
gtpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2015 at 12:25pm
Dave,
Your installation will work very well.  The main thing (and a lot of folks don't think about this) is you need the length of run to let  the air cool so that the water can condense out and the size of line will give you the CFM that your compressor is putting out.  I still plan on tying in my older compressor to give me more CFM, but so far I really haven't needed it.
1968 AMX 390 4speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic