TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rapid Delivery-Ollie's Postal Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2018 at 7:44pm
Hey Ollie, just a heads up on the engine turned decal - make sure it's UV protected. I had done my Javelin's dash once and in a couple of years, it stared turning colors and fading. Turned out that even though it's in the car, it will still go bad from UV light. The stuff I used back then was from Sign Gold.

Another thought if there's a place around that does hydro-printing. (there's a couple of other names for it too) That's what I have now and it's much nicer plus it's UV protected and hasn't faded in 5 years. You can get about anything you want printed on that dash and other parts. There's a huge selection of stuff to choose from and it's not expensive.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AfterhoursFab View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfterhoursFab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2018 at 8:57pm
Very cool. I had a 73 once, it was a real piece of crap lol I ended up selling it off for a couple hundred bucks.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2018 at 9:05pm
Keith.....you ever heard of this.......

https://www.rvinyl.com/Engine-Turn-Vinyl-Film-Wraps.htm

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Keith.....you ever heard of this.......

https://www.rvinyl.com/Engine-Turn-Vinyl-Film-Wraps.htm

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie,

I have used several of their products and have had no issues so far.
Just be sure the surface your applying to is very clean and smooth. Dents will show with the machine turned material.

Ken

Edited by pit crew - Apr/19/2018 at 7:31am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 7:32am
Ken......You The Man

Tell me about how to apply this stuff.

My plan is cover the back side of the holes I don't need with fiberglass and cover the front with body filler. Will this film apply directly over the metal and body filler?

I see you have cut outs in your pieces. Just cut with a razor knife?

Do I need any of the glue or just hit it with my heat gun? Will a yellow body filler applicator work to smooth it out?

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Ken......You The Man

Tell me about how to apply this stuff.

My plan is cover the back side of the holes I don't need with fiberglass and cover the front with body filler. Will this film apply directly over the metal and body filler?

I see you have cut outs in your pieces. Just cut with a razor knife?

Do I need any of the glue or just hit it with my heat gun? Will a yellow body filler applicator work to smooth it out?

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Like any other film type material you start at one end and lay it down working out the bubbles as you go along. The surface prep is the big key. If your using a reflective type film, like the machine turned, it will show dents and dips in the surface. The smoother the surface your applying to the better. The darker carbon fiber film will hide imperfections better.

De-grease the surface until your sure it is squeaky clean then do it one more time. The adhesive is pretty darn good but grease and oils can screw you up. It will pretty much bond to anything and I have not needed to use any additional adhesive. As far as heat I have only needed to heat it when I had to follow some pretty sharp curved surfaces. Otherwise it conforms nicely to curves.

I use a razor knife to trim it up and change blades often. You would think something like vinyl would not dull a blade but it does.

The last couple of times that I have ordered they included an applicator and a cheap razor knife. The applicator looks just like the body filler type. I wrap a piece of micro fiber or flannel cloth around it just to cut down on the chance of scratching the film. They were including some pretty good instructions with the film so you can look over their recommendations too.

Only other thing I can say is let it set up a few days if you can. Trying to run screws through it, compress it with the edges of gauges, and so on can twist or deform it when the adhesive bond is fresh.

Also be sure if you going to use the machine turned material you give some thought to reflections. I used it on my Hornet dash and the night time reflections from street lights and so on bother me once in a while. I am just wondering how red, white, and blue carbon fiber weave would look on Rapid?????

Good luck and have fun with it. I am sure your going to get some great results.
Ken

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 6:33pm
I purchased the engine turn wrap from rvinyl. The link I had posted.

Worked on my headliner today. Its my first ever attempt at a headliner. First step was to glue the insulation to the roof. Then glue the material to the insulation. The material was given to me. It was Nissan factory rejected material.

Got the fiberglass and first coat of body filler on the dash.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 8:21am
The Rapid project has about ground to a halt for a couple of days.

I am to the point where I need to start mounting stuff to the dash so I can get the wiring sorted out. Body work is done, waiting on the dash vinyl now.

Finished up the headliner and rear wiring harness run. Need power to sort out which wire goes where.

Need to paint the gas pedal but be a lot easier when all the wiring is outa of the way.

My rubber for the windows arrived, but I do need to get a new windshield cut. Side windows are good.

I hope that the red carpet will arrive soon. It is on back order. Carpet in, then the seats and we should be ready for a cruise !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 9:13am
Coming along nicely.  I think that's the cleanest I've ever seen a postal jeep, LOL. LOLThumbs Up
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 12:33pm
There are just some vehicles you can't help but like... This is one of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
  Share Topic