TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rapid Delivery-Ollie's Postal Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 9:50pm
Wish we were closer. It would be fun to help wrench on your cars!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2018 at 12:13pm
Rapid got some much needed attention today. Been a long time coming but he is in primer now !!!! First time since I owned it has been all one color.

Start my sanding in a day or 2.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 7:42am
I sanded all day on Rapid yesterday. I started at 8 am and finished up a 5:30 pm. It was almost like a job !! Thank goodness I am retied as I don't think I could work a real job 8-5 everyday again !!!

For those of you not familiar with the steps in painting, I sanded with my DA air sander using 320 grit paper. I used a high build urethane primer. You will have some scratches in the body work that the primer did not fill. These areas need to be filled with spot putty. It is a two part putty just like body filler but real thin. You can see scratches filled in in this picture.

Today I will apply the final coat of primer. I really don't need to use a high build primer but to save cost I will thin it out pretty good with reducer and apply one thin coat. Block sand is the next step.

Getting mighty close to painting.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 1:25pm
Paint day today. I have to paint Rapid in two stages. To much stuff in the booth. I had to use ladders to spray the top. I painted the top, inside ribs and inside back door.

I still have to sand the outside and the outside of the back door. Hope to spray the rest Wednesday. If I don't make it by then the weather is going to be against me.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 2:59pm
Rapid Delivery is now officially painted!! I am more than satisfied with the outcome. A few flaws but he is looks way better than before !!!!

Now comes the fun part......putting it all back together again. Still a lot of work, dash needs to be redone, bumper to be painted, windows installed, carpet, seat frames to be painted and the list goes on.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 3:05pm
Looking good!
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 5:37pm
'Ol rapid is looking good Ollie!! Thumbs Up

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 7:46am
Bonding time with Rapid Delivery produced results today. I went to Mississippi Rubber and got some 3/8" thick rubber cutting scraps.

There are six mounting bolts that hold the body to the frame. There is a rubber pad between the frame and body.

I replaced all of them. Four of the six were gone and the other two had turned into petrified rubber. That should be a big improvement in the noise and vibration of the ride.

Got the back door mounted.

I think it came out great. When I got Rapid the door did not even latch, it had a hasp and paddle lock. I moved the license plate from below the bumper. The frame has a third brake light. New rubber and my bungee cord strap to keep it from swinging open.

Now that I have the door out of my way, I will start cleaning up and painting the rear bumper and seat frames. All the remaining paint is spray can.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 12:12pm
Sweet, Rapid is progressing nicely!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2018 at 4:36pm
Painted Rapid's rear bumper yesterday.

I had a big rear bumper learning curve today !!! I remember months ago when I was removing the bumper, my wife was reading the shop manual, and I remember her reading that there were body mounting bolts to the bumper. They have rubber shims too.

I said in my last post there are six body mounting bolts, that is wrong. There are eight mounting bolts. Six on the two side frames and 2 on the back bumper. Both bumpers are a integral part of the frame, i.e., 2 side pieces and front and rear pieces being the bumpers.

I had to loosen the 6 frame bolts I tightened previously so I could get the rear bumper and rubber installed. The bumper also mounts the fuel tank.

My plan for the dash is to full all the unneeded holes. I will cover it with engine turn. You can get the stuff in peel N' stick.

Going to be a lot of body work but I got all the stuff. I got to figure out all the wiring too. Had it all working at one time.

I have to have the dash installed so I can wire it up.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
  Share Topic