TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rapid Delivery-Ollie's Postal Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 8:30am
Ollie MotorSports update on Rapid Delivery...

Had more bonding time with Rapid and I have all the body work and outside sanding completed. I am quite happy with the out come.

Started to work on the inside. Worked on the roof support ribs. The factory adhesive that glued the top to the ribs has dried up and disappeared. Sure has been rattling and making a lot of noise when driving Rapid.

In keeping with my goal of keeping Rapid's cost to a minimum I searched the shop for stuff. This is what I came up with. This is some high dollar metal roofing and building caulking/adhesive. I purchased it for a house roofing project and didn't need it.

You can see how I separated the top and rib and cleaned it up the best I could. I am convinced that issue is gone.

I found 3 cracks in the floor where the body mounts to the frame. I welded them up. I see what has caused that issue. Of the 6 bolts that hold the body to the frame, 3 the rubber bushings are gone and the 2 bolts turned by hand. Looks like I got to go to Mississippi Rubber and get me some floor scrap to make new rubber shock mounts. I just need some 3/8" thick rubber about 2" square. That should be a lot more rattles gone.

I hope to have Rapid in primer both inside and out before we take off for the Boulder City, Nevada show. But if not, who cares???

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 6:17pm
More time with Rapid, so here's another update.

Worked on the back door. I am not to much into paint remover and have not had a lot of luck with them on automotive finishes. That said, I picked up some at Lowes and it really worked.

Really cleaned up my letters and the door hinge. I was really impressed. I got it looking good with a wire brush in no time.

Got my license plate bracket mounted. I picked that up at a swap meet for a bit of nothing. It has a third brake light. I welded two nuts together and then welded them to the door. Also had a whiskey knot in the door so I got that body work done.

My latch works great so I need to remove the key lock and take it to my lock lady. She can make a key.

Need to sand the inside of the door tomorrow.

I am well on schedule to be in primer before Boulder City.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2017 at 6:42pm
Finished up the back door. It was really in rough shape but the paint remover was a great help.

The inside is all cleaned up and the rust has been treated with Ospho.
It's ready for primer.

The outside is ready...

Next step is to cover up the wire harness for painting. Need to DA it real fast with 220 and wipe it down with wax and grease remover and prime.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2018 at 2:19pm
WoW.......It has been a long time since a Rapid Delivery update...

Rapid never got primed. We were gone on vacation and the good weather passed me by. That was our big trip to The AMC Show in Boulder City, NV

This has been a long cold winter and it has been almost impossible to heat my shop warm enough to work in. Plus, I have to do my painting outside. Can't overspray my shop.

But big progress anyway. I decided to enclose one of my outside parking bays into the shop.

The last door will be moved out to the end of the slab and that bay walled up. That is going to be my new paint booth. New parking spot for Rapid Delivery.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Feb/02/2018 at 7:28am
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2018 at 9:50pm
Good move on expanding your shop!
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2018 at 12:38am
Nice area, Ollie.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2018 at 5:05am
Dude that paint job is tits! The DJ-5 is probably my only dream truck and it's projects like this that remind me why I wanted one so bad. Embarrassed
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 7:00am
Rapid Delivery has been moved into his new home !!! As you know I have put an addition on my shop. The shop has turned more into a man cave and I needed an area where I can make a lot of dust and be able to paint in.

Today I am going to build a temporary wall with door to be able to close off the rest of the shop.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 5:45pm
I built The Wall !!!

I now have a fantastic area to work in. Rapid is first on the list and then my NEW American.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 6:29pm
Nice!
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
  Share Topic