TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rapid Delivery-Ollie's Postal Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2017 at 7:40am
Got the doors cut out of the plywood now. The plywood is old and its a bit thicker than 3/4".

Went thru a bunch of stuff, some would call it junk, and came up with weather-stripping and edging material.

This 1/2" edging fits great. I have enough for one side. I need 10' for the other side. I will pick some up in Springfield, MO at the NSRA Show this weekend.

I have enough weather-stripping for both doors.

I am using "T" nuts on the doors. Wanted to use 7/16" but I have learned that 3/8" is the biggest made. Lowes only had 4 and my hardware store only had 2 so it was E Bay to the rescue. Ordered 12 for $5. I would have spent way more than that on gas running them down.

I had been way over engineering the spacers for the hinges. I have found 3" wide flat bar that will work. I have to get the doors mounted first to see how thick they need to be. I can space them out with washers first. I can get 3/4" to 1 1/2" thick flat bar so something will work. Cut the bar 1 3/8" long and I got a perfect fit. The hinge itself is square.

Here is a pic of the AMC Fleet........

I have located a complete serpent belt system for the Concord. I will need that when I put a Vintage Air system in the 258 Concord. It is a non AC car now. The only thing I am missing is a serpentine pulley for the power steering pump. Bet I can find one in Kenosha.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2017 at 7:33am
Hi my fellow AMC'ers..........

Got some bonding time with Rapid and I now have a door mounted !!
Looks as if the plan is coming together.

The hinges are Jeep hood hinges, thought that would be cool. Got my spacer issue figured out. I used washers, temporally, to get the thickness I needed.

A 1" spacer will do just right. The plywood is close to 3/4" and the 1" will move the door out enough for edging material and rubber weather stripping.

I ordered the spacers from Metal Depot. I got 1" X 3" flat bar, cut 1 3/8" long. They should be here next week. I can put a slide and drop latch to close the door.

Got to get my door jams cleaned up and painted. I got a really cool plan for covering the door.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 2:39pm
Rapid Delivery update.........

My spacer stock for the door hinges came in and I got to work on mounting the doors.

This is 1" X 3" flat bar cut 1 3/8", just enough to mount under the hinge.

Glad I have a 1/2" drill, that was given to me a few years ago, as drilling the bolt holes was tough. I really needed a drill press.

I think the doors are mighty sporty and are a lot better than the sliding doors. Don't I look sharp in Rapid?? (Its ok to fib a bit..hehhehehehe)

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie         
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 10:34am
More bonding time with Rapid and it looks as if I am going in the wrong direction !! Its defiantly being run thru the paint shop. I had planned on doing the paint with spray cans and I had a revelation....heck I am not going thru all this work and not do the best I job I can.

My painting days in the shop are over. To much stuff in there now. I do know of 3 people that own spray booths. I am doing all the work outside to keep my shop clean. I can do all the primer outside.

I am busting it down with 80 grit. The paint you see is South Bend paint. Rapid left the factory white top and blue bottom. It was professionally painted one time on the lower half making it all white. Then red, white and blue stripes around the middle were added. The crappy brown paint job was jack wagon. Just a scuff and shoot. Found the factory numbers on the roof, its the serial #. Interesting. Think I will put them back on.

Going to remove the dash and repaint the interior white.

Found a dent on the roof. Rapid was backed into something. You can see the bow in on the top.

About had all the fun I can handle for this week. Time to get ready for our Sunday departure to the NSRA Show in Pueblo, CO. I am sure we will enjoy the 2500 mile cruise in The Rambler.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Jun/15/2017 at 2:48pm
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 11:00am
After a fun trip to Pueblo and having a great time got back to work on Rapid yesterday.

Big successful day. Worked on the big dent in the top above the door on the back end. I got it looking a lot better than it was. I have the door and latch working good now.

You can see our new shop trinket in the picture; our new Jeep sign, which we purchased in Pueblo. I think its a cool addition to the shop/mancave.

I sure have learned one thing about these vintage Jeeps. The bumpers, both front and rear are a very integral part of the frame.

I put in a temporary piece of angle iron, marked by the arrow to hold the rear together. The fuel tank straps bolt to the bumper. Wife was reading in the shop manual that the rear bumper was actually riveted on at the factory.

I got the rear lights figured out. I had bought new led brake/taillight lights, so I am going to add led turn signal lights. Going to fill in the back up light holes. I am going to put a light bar on the roof, over the back door, for back up lights. I will install 4 led white flasher lights, one on each corner.

Got to get to work. Sanding the back end is today's project.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 1:54pm
More work on Rapid and he's slowly coming around.

Got all the paint sanded to factory paint. Used 80 grit. Ready to start on the body work. Got a lot of holes to fill especially on the roof. There were rubber plugs in the roof, I would think they were associated with some type of headliner. I am going to fill them all. Also the holes on the side where the sliding doors mounted need filled. Going to fill the backup light holes. I am going to mount some LED white flashers there.

The only rust holes are on the back roof rail. I am going to fiberglass it. I know that will shake up a few but keep in mind that I am trying to keep the cost down on the whole project.

The dash has to come out next.

Off to Kenosha so it will be some time before another update.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 1:53pm
Got a little more bonding time than I antiscipated. Rapid has under gone some more take apart. Got the steering column out and the dash is about to come out.

It is not going to be as big a job as it looks. I am going to make a new wire bundle for the gauges that I installed. Going to leave the original gauge cluster in. Have to paint it up nice. Might not work but it will look good.

Going to add some bling to the back door. Going to mount this license plate holder, with third brake light. I am a believer in a third brake light...one of the few "government safety laws" that worked.

The pile of parts is growing...

Hope I remember where they all go. Its heck when your old brain starts to go......

At least Rapid still has some good looking areas ...

See everybody in Kenosha.
Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 2:42pm
Hi my AMC Friends........
In a stand-by mode for The Rambler. Waiting on srtuff.

More play time on Rapid Delivery = more progress

Got the dash, seat belts and drivers seat out. The interior is stripped and ready for clean up and paint. A lot to do in here.

Got my fiberglass work done over the big light holes I am not using. Removed the big back up lights and I am going to put on LED flashers. Got started on the body filler work.

Things were going mighty smooth at that point in time but then times took a difficult turn for me !! I was starting to notice water in my compressed air. I have a good Wilkerson water trap with the automatic drain.

Took my water trap bowl off and the automatic drain valve was in pieces. Not good.

They were never to be assembled in working order again..
Got me shut down. Cannot operate without dry air.

Found what I need on E bay.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 10:29am
My water trap drain valve arrived and got the Made in USA part installed. Its working like a champ now !! Back to Rapid Delivery...

Got the body work finished on both sides. Body filed and feathered out with 80 grit.

My cousin had gave me a gallon of body filler he found while cleaning up at the hospital. It was Bondo brand. First time I ever used that brand. Anyway it was to old, lumpy inside the can. Got a base coat on and had to throw it out.

I have always liked 3M light body filler, but instead of driving all the way to town I got a gallon of Bondo at Lowes. Get my Veteran 10% discount.

I see that Bondo is made by 3M and I swear that it is 3M Light. Anybody know more about this?

Making a lot of progress. All I am lacking finishing is the back end.

One more day of playin' with Rapid I should have all the body work completed.

Next weekend is Temple, Texas AMC Regionals. We are leaving Friday morning so I don't know how much time I will have next week to work on Rapid.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 11:34am
First time I've checked in on this thread...I'll be checking in a bit more often I think!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
  Share Topic