TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RAMBLER DOOR LOCKS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tunes48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAMBLER DOOR LOCKS
    Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 4:13pm
On my 1965 rambler American 440 2 dr. H/T I do not have door locks. The key cylinders are in both doors just beneath the handles, and turning the door lock key, nothing happens. I removed the door panels and can see the cylinders and there is nothing that's attached to them. No mechanical parts like a rod, a lever, etc. There are no door lock buttons on the window mouldings as well. Was it an option for this car back then ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be able to lock my car.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 4:51pm
The doors were locked from inside by pushing forward, or down on the inside door handle, instead of pulling up to open.
The outside key lock cylinder just has a short, about 1 inch square shaft coming out of it directly into the door latch, it's easy to miss.
Or maybe someone worked on the car and left it out.

The only way to lock the door from the outside is to use the key, since it's the same key that fits the ignition, it meant the numbskulls of the world couldn't accidently lock their keys up in the car.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
tunes48 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tunes48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 5:28pm
Thanks for your quick reply Tyrodtom. I tried the inside handle push down and it will lock the doors. But neither locks will unlock with the key. You must be right. Somebody must of worked on the locks and didn't install them right. There isn't anything on the back of the cylinders. Now I don't know what I'm even looking for. Would I be looking for new key cylinders that have the 1" tab from them or is just the tab available ?
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 5:40pm
It might be in the bottom of the door.

One of the AMC or Rambler suppliers might have them.
It wouldn't be that hard to fabricate.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 10:31pm
If someone switched the door mechanisms with ones from the rear doors of a 4 door or wagon, they would lock from the inside but have no accommodations for a key. Or as described above, the little floppy thing on the key lock might have come off.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
smaxwell View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smaxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2022 at 8:09am
hello I am working on a 1965 AMC Marlin fastback both doors will open from the outside but the handels on the inside will not open the doors any ideas thanks steve
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2022 at 10:45am
If you decide to take a look into the interior of the door and see what's happening when you turn the handle you will get clues to what the problem could be, on my rambler the door panel if that's what it's called slides off little tabs, your amc might be the same, if your kinda stumped at what your looking at when you get the panel off, tomj has some parts catalogs with diagrams of how parts and components are assembled, this also might help you figure out whats going on, his website is sr-ix.com, I'm sure this tip will help you out! 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2022 at 9:01pm
You may find you need to extract all the mechanisms and clean and lubricate them. The lockwork can become almost immobile from hardened grease. Usually inside handles work, since they generate a lot of force with that lever. But the outside keylock is a tiny thing, and can't generate a lot of torque, and you break keys if you try hard enough.

Also having to yank hard breaks things. THere are plastic bushings in levers adn holes (for quiet and smooth) that if you keep forcing, will crack and break, because they are also 50 years old and aging.

I think of it as a two-day (easy days) job: extract the mechanisms (you'll really want a TSM for this), clean, fix/replace bad/missing parts, lube and install. 

Good time to change the door guides so buy those ahead of time. That's about the only thing that will cost money.

Lubricated and adjusted doors and window regulators make an old car a pleasure.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

smaxwell View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smaxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2022 at 6:06am
ty so much for your help i hope it is that easy lol
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2022 at 8:29am
The swivels that hold the square rod to the lock cylinder sometimes break. Peter Stathes fixes the door locks (www.amcrambler.com).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic