TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rambler Classic Speedo Head

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rambler Classic Speedo Head
    Posted: May/12/2019 at 6:46pm
I found an NOS speedo cable and installed it in Moby the 64 Classic to try to cure a bouncing speedo needle.  No joy.

The speedo still bounves  bad.  Has anyone had any luck with lubricants sprayed into the speedo.  Any other tricks other than changing it out or getting it rebuilt?  

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2019 at 7:10pm
Joe, the speedo head bushing is probably toast.  To save money; pull the speedo head or the whole cluster and take it to a speedometer shop.  They can replace the bushing which will stop the bouncing.  The major portion of any cost is the pulling and replacing the cluster in the dash.
Mike
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2019 at 8:03pm
Joe, I have a spare speedo if interested.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2019 at 9:13pm
Thanks Ron, I have several spares too, but this cluster has great circuitry and all the lights work.   I cut about 15 inches off of the head of the old speedo cable and spub the speedo counterclockwise with that cable stub and my electric drill and the problem does appear to be in the cluster. The needle still bounces.  Perhaps it is the bushing suggested by Mike.  I will probably try to swap out the cluster tomorrow.  Joe
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2019 at 7:04am
Let us know how you go, because I have tried everything and have gotten to a point when it only bounces if the weather is cold.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 9:46pm
I corrected the problem with a new speedo cable, which I think I mentioned before and I replaced the instrument cluster with a good used cluster.  I have several spares.   I tested the speedometer in the spare cluster before installing it by using about 15 inches of the old speedo cable which had been kinked further down the cable.  Connected the cable stub to my electric drill and turned the speedo counterclockwise to activate it. 

One anecdote.  When I worked as a used car salesman as a summer job in college we had a "mechanic" who would come to the little shop on the back of the car lot and turn speedometers back with an electric drill after selected cars had been cleaned up and detailed (and sometimes had an Earl Scheib paint job).   This was long before any state and federal anti-fraud laws and I guess it was a common practice.  I tried to turn the speedometer backwards on my Rambler, just to see if it would work, with the rig above and the odometer would only go forward.   Joe 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic