TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rambler American Hydroboost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 4:59am
Okay, to reduce pressure -- now the bigger bore MC makes sense!

A 7" dual diaphragm booster wouldn't fit with the factory type mounting bracket? I'd think it would, but not directly on the firewall. Locating a factory bracket might be tough, but I think the same bracket is used for Americans and big cars -- not 100% sure though. A late 60s Ford bracket is similar and has been used in big cars, I don't know about Americans. Those are a bit tighter under the hood.
Frank Swygert
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:42am

I know we all keep thinking booster on the fire wall but I think some of the older foreign cars and think I have seen older US truck (1955  5 ton chevy?) with boosters down under the floor on the frame?

It may be called vacuum asst. braking? And no it does not have the pedal as part of the booster/master assy. Bolted on the frame like I see from Google.

Some different information here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electric-power-brake-booster-73131.html

hydro-vac or Vacuum-Hydraulic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keChCevuKk8

I am thinking vacuum-hydraulic set up. It looks like a master is used at the firewall and feeds to a V-H unit on the frame with I think a slave master?

I also came across a lot of Honda delete on Google and got thinking some of the “imports” may have a booster small enough to fit in the area where a full size will not?

Been a slow day at work ;)

Dave ----

I found this that may explain how it works better http://dave78chieftain.zxq.net/HydroVac_brakes.html

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Jan/17/2013 at 10:54am
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
nosigma View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2013 at 1:18pm
WOW DO I HAVE BRAKES
 I finished the cam break in and went for a short spin to seat the rings.  The brakes are crazy powerful.  A bit too light but it feels like the car will stop on a dime.  I didnt get to do any real brake tests as I am still focused on ring seating, AFR and couple other items but just driving it around it decelerated a lot faster than it ever did with the disc-drum manual set up no matter how hard I leaned on the pedal when it was manual.  The 8.8 rear disc add a lot of stopping power and the 74 Hornet discs bite a lot more than they ever did before.  Once I get a couple of other items sorted out I will really lay into it and set the proportioning valve (feels like to much rear right now).

As big a pain in the rear as this was I cant overstate how great these brakes feel. 

John

mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 6:57pm
Hello all, I've been looking for a power brake option for my '66 American and ran across this post. Has anyone else done this? Any more thoughts on this? It doesn't sound to bad, if tbe parts can be rounded up....
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2016 at 8:41am
If you have power steering it's a viable option. Of course you could use a PS pump for the brakes without PS. It takes up less room than a traditional vacuum booster. This is rather common in the Jeep world.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 8:27pm
nice job!
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic