TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rally Pack install into a Concord 4dr...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rally Pack install into a Concord 4dr...
    Posted: Oct/22/2016 at 5:03pm
Hello all...

I recently acquired a late 70's Small Car Rally Pack and I wanted to install it into my 82 Concord. 

I have all the gauges, the pod and the wiring harness for the pd but my Concord doesn't have the same connector hanging down under the dash.

Can anyone help me figure out how to make the wiring in my car compatible with the Rally Pack so I can add it into my interior?

To see these pictures please copy and paste these pinks into your browser. Sorry.. I have no other way to share photos.

Picture 1
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211101875647978&l=22c3d6d262

Picture 2
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211101875687979&l=e726afc656

Picture 3
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211101875727980&l=5a47cd571f

Thanks a lot.

John
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2016 at 5:52pm
I sent you a answer via PM to your question there before I saw and read this...The rally pack wiring harness that went out under the hood was not standard on any of the cars, but instead a separate harness just for the rally packs...It had a big white molex type plug that plugged into a short harness on the pod itself, and then connectors that went different places under the dash and thru a big rubber grommet to the items under the hood, such as vacuum, amp, oil pressure....depending on which rally pack was used...Bob in Alabama

Edited by mrblatzman - Oct/22/2016 at 5:55pm
Thankyou....Bob
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2016 at 6:21pm
hi, this is doable, but may not be worth the trouble. You pod has a clock, amp, oil press, and temp, right?
The 70s and 80s wiring harnesses are two completely different animals. Unless you find a complete 70s pod harness, (they DO exist, but in VERY small numbers), you will have to wire it up yourself. Also, the amp meter requires a shunt.
IMO, I would try to sell the 70s pod, some 70s cars may want one!, and buy a 3 Gauge package from AutoMeter or, more cost effectively, AutoGage, that has an oil press, temp, and VOLT meter gauges. There is one made that is on the small side, 1 1/2" gauges, AutoGage #2391, about $74., useful, but unobtrusive. Mounts perfectly under the glove box, and is relatively easy to wire up. Your 82 Concord already has a clock, right?
Also, those 70s gauges are FAR from accurate, and liable to break down, if they are even good now. A quartz conversion on that little clock is about $175.
Anyway, that's what i did on both my 82, and 84 Eagles, and my old 81 Concord. I also have that 70s pod you speak of, for my 77 Hornet AMX, and just had it reconditioned for just under $400., about half that for the clock alone!. So, again, just my my opinion, but leave that 70s pod for a 70s restoration, and go with good, new gauges. You will thank yourself later. good luck, gz
george z
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2016 at 9:51pm
As pointed out, your car will not have the wiring harness for the Rally Pack you have purchased, as will no AMC car. They are separate from the car and part of the Rally Pack. If you purchased the Rally Pack with out the plug in wiring harness you basically wasted your money.
Unless of course you can find some one to strip out a wiring harness and sell it to you along with the part that works with the AMP meter.
The Vacuum gauge (if equipped) and the Oil Pressure Gauge (if equipped) can be made to work. The clock I have never seen work on a used rally pack gauge purchase and I have purchased 5 of them. If it has a heat gauge, one of the applications was for a Pacer which did not have a heat gauge and there is a special sensor that is unique for the Rally Gauges. I forget what it is at this time, but I believe the other application was for Hornets (which had a heat gauge but it was covered over when the rally pack was used.)
People have given quotes for reconditioning things to make them work. Trade that cost off against purchasing an after market gauge package that would both be state of the art and modern. I have about 3 or 4 of them stashed some where.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2016 at 11:01pm
hi again, if you are stuck on originality, then look for an 81+ gauge package. these are more compatible with your 82. They are are not a "pod', but are console mounted, and will work for you IF you have a floor console already. I f your car is column shift, well then sol again! Look for Spirit/ Eagle "Sport" models, and you may find something.
Again, spending money on 70s or even 80s gauges is simply not worth it, unless you are doing a cost-no-object restoration. But, ahem, I just dropped 4 short on my pod. so, go figure.
Point being, a correct gauge pod in a (relatively) low production car like a 77 AMX may be worth spending a couple of bucks on, but the same pod in an 82 Concord will stick out like a sore thumb, wont fit well and will probably never work well. Go with new gauges. good luck, gz
george z
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2016 at 12:00pm
Hello everyone... thank you very much for replying to my question... I hope my answer here touches everyone's replys.

OK... so it won't work with my stock wiring... unfortunate but good to know. Would adding the 77-78 engine bay wiring harness into my car make it work? I am stuck on the originality aspect. I do really want it to look like it came with it.

I am aware of the poor reliability of the gauges. I actually have two sets of gauges, two face-plates and two different plexiglass plates. One is from a Hornet... the other is from a Spirit GT/AMX. One has a clock and a vacuum gauge on top... the other has a vacuum gauge instead of a clock and an Amps opening next to it on top. I also know it will be a pain to pull off but I am pretty committed to making this work. No.... I don't have a bottomless budget for this but this pod is something I have always wanted ever since I seen the Spirit GT had them as a kid. Not only did I think it was unique and cool looking.. I am a huge fan of stock analog gauges in old cars.

I spoke with Bob in a few IM's last night and he is willing to take a picture of the engine bay wiring harness he has. I found a wiring harness place that might be able to make one.... and I got a wiring schematic from Eddie Stakes website. I just don't know the length of the cables. I'm very confident if I physically had one in my hands that I could have it reproduced.

Here's the thing... I am taking the engine out and re-doing the entire front suspension, steering and engine bay. I want to add this into the wiring in to the car while its all taken apart.

AMCFool... I have seen the 3 gauge panels from Auto Meter you recommended. You are totally right... they would make all this easier and I do like them but I am going after a factory original look. I know they would do exactly the same thing but I am committed to making this work. I have seen the later model Eagle gauges panel and I don't really like it as much. Do you think the harness out of the Eagle could be adapted to work with the older pod?

Anyway... if you know anyone who is parting an old Hornet/Concord AMX... please send them to me.. I really want to try to find the harness for the engine bay and will pay a pretty fair amount for one. I've had this old Concord for 23 years. It's not a valuable collector by any means but its my favorite car and I enjoy fixing it up and making it unique. I recently bought a V8 cross member and a Jeep 360 (re-builder core) and I am really looking forward to making it into something special.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Oct/23/2016 at 12:06pm
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2016 at 2:29pm
hey, its really great that you are redoing a Concord. Not many of us are. I have 78 Concord AMX that is waiting in the wings while i work on my 77.  I used to have an 81 4dr Concord, that I gave to a friend in NY over 12 years ago, and he still has it, taught his son how to drive in that car. The Spirit GT cluster should work for you.
Again, i don't know exactly what pod you have, but the whole dash, and ALL the wiring changed radically in 78, went from old school glass fuses to new school style, EVERYTHING changed, and by 82 you have the computer controlled carb, etc. Much more complex than the 70s. As for the AMP gauge, stay away from that one, without a shunt, ALL your power goes through it, and if it fails, your car may catch fire, and then its all over. Check the FSJ guys if you don't believe me. There is a reason no car from anywhere came with an amp gauge after the 70s. They used to fail, and burn cars to the ground!
Anyway, good luck, gz
george z
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2016 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Hello everyone... thank you very much for replying to my question... I hope my answer here touches everyone's replys.

OK... so it won't work with my stock wiring... unfortunate but good to know. Would adding the 77-78 engine bay wiring harness into my car make it work? I am stuck on the originality aspect. I do really want it to look like it came with it.

To answer your question again!

NO

The gauge package has it's own wiring harness!
When it is installed, it is added to the car including under the hood and through the firewall to it's own connector.

The face place with an Heat gauge is used on the Pacer and the Hornet, the other gauges would be the clock, ammeter and oil pressure according to the 1977 TSM. The 1977 Hornet AMX was brought out in the 1977 model year and had it's own TSM supplement. In it, it states the Rally pack (which was also covered in the 1977 TSM as an option for the Pacer) was OEM equipment for the AMX.

I installed one in a "Base" model AMX for 1980 and to get it installed I found a forum member who could pull the wiring harness from a junk yard car along with the sending unit used to make the Ammeter work. The second one I made an engine harness to work with the car except for the sending unit for the ammeter which I was unable to duplicate.

I also made a wiring harness for one to go in a Pacer and installed it for a former club member who has since left the club and sold his cars.

The unused ones are in a box some where in my garage.

Edited by uncljohn - Oct/23/2016 at 4:38pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2016 at 8:24am
AMCFool1...

OK. So.. I read about that AMPS guage... sucks that its such a problem... I guess I'll ebay that one. I could also use it as a place holder if I needed... even if it doesn't work. Oh well.... I didn't realize that the wiring changed so much. I just thought that because they looked the same and how that particular gauge package was carried on through various small cars in different forms... from the early 70's to the mid 80's.... that they were likely all very similar. I feel pretty stupid for being so naive about that. Oh well... live and learn.

I am pretty sure the guage cluster I have is from the late 70-80's... so it is the later model... because it has a vacuum gauge instead of the AMP gauge. I also have the face plate for the earlier style one as well... So I will use what I can and sell off the rest.

The 80's cars with the computer control are such a pain. Fortunately I know someone local to me who is going to rid me of all that garbage when this all gets done. I am going to tear apart my wiring harness and get rid of all the useless emissions stuff to clean up the engine bay of all the ugly unplugged connectors. I have removed the air pump and all associated parts on my 258 already. I did the Nutter bypass and disconnect the computer control over the carb. I have it set up for manual choke... so I depress the gas pedal once before I start it. Fires every time. Runs decent.. not fantastic... needs a 2100 carb.. I might do it before the v8 swap to improve drive-ability over the short term. Not sure if I want to spend money on an engine I want to replace.   

Oh and BTW.. I love this old basic Concord. Don't know why but I will always own this car. I love it. I'm from Kenosha and its just an old AMC to most people but when people talk to me about it.. they always start it off with "my mother's uncles brother's cousin.... etc.. had an Concord... or an Eagle.. or a Hornet wagon.. etc... and I always loved that car." I love cruising it... I love when people wave to me. Its recognizable to so many people I know and have known me since I was younger.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Oct/24/2016 at 8:29am
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2016 at 9:09am
I can and have "De-Smogged" a late AMC car. It is a lot of work but it can be done neatly. I have also built a higher performance 258, restored ALL of the smog equipment so it worked and worked well and also passed the state smog inspection. It too can be done and done well. But to be honest most of the stuff I have seen supposedly done by a friend was some kind of a hash job and I would not touch it on a bet. But to each their own I guess. Done correctly a fully smogged AMC car can run well but it is a humongous job to do. And I am not sure today I would be able to do it due to lack of parts.
However, if I go to purchase an AMC car of the 80's if the smog equipment has been hashed I will not pay much for the car if I even decide to buy it or not.
To me and at this point in time, restored means exactly that and all the smog equipment had better be with it.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic