TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

radio for 73 Jav.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 2:40pm
If your making it by what you have... it will be more stout than the AMC one. I literally had to straighten a wee bit from the weight of radio, speaker and sag of dash pad over the years.

It's probably too late in the day to send out and have you get it Tuesday. I am smack center of IL, but by the time i get it packaged and out the door to USPS and all, would be a mad dash.

Understood about the troubles. I too had to spend some time with glue and silicone over the parts I have been working on.

I donno if you can remove the glove box door by the reverse end with the unit out, by undoing the latch loop.

I'd trade my dark blue one unlocked and a spare key and latch loop, if you can manage that. I really don't care about it being functional just there to fill the open hole. I may just end up using the door as a backing to fill in the seam and texture the hole thing, part of my interior customisation. Already filled the speaker hole, so no problem there.

If you think it is something you may want to do let me know, and i will try to package everything up and make a run. No guarantees to get there Tuesday, if USPS closes before i get there.

You may want to refresh the page... i did an update just before you replied.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 8:41pm
The glove box "lid" works- -it's not only open, it's out of the car (well,, it's one I bought so it's been out of a car for years) it's the LOCK that cannot be removed from the door without a key.
So if you have a lock with key in a door that's crappy, and a good door but with a lock that has no key, you cannot remove the lock with no key and use that door for the lock that has a key.
In other words, I have a nice glove box door - but cannot get the lock out of it to put my lock into. 
So people selling glove box doors at swap meets should furnish a key, too............
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 9:08pm
Maybe we can take up a collection of extra used trunk keys and send them to you. Had a guy at the pick and pull find a key match with his existing lock. I am sure there is at least 5 or more worn keys that may unlock your glove box lock, from various years.

I may just for the fun of it, try picking my lock just to see if the old trick of filing down the fist 4 tumbler cuts will allow picking the lock.

My cousin... yeah I know, again he brings up his cousin. Is always picking locks and has jailer's key rings filled with keys of all makes. I always see him practicing when he has spare time on his hands.

Yep about selling complete lock and doors... though if you don't have a key, then at least make sure the lock is unlocked.

The Issues you have had with some purchase at swap meets.... i wonder how bad it really is for some. Though I have not made many in my time, but have found myself lucky, until I go think i can do with something similar, only on a pinch.

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/21/2018 at 9:13pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 10:29pm
Locked or unlocked isn't the point or issue. The lock/latch is unlocked. 
Picking isn't an issue - can't pick to remove the lock.
The way these are made you MUST have the key AND a stiff wire at the SAME TIME.
There's a tumbler that you depress with the wire that allows the lock to be withdrawn - but the regular lock tumblers prevent full removal so you have to have the KEY inserted AND the wire pressing on the retainer tumbler so you can remove the lock, then you remove the latch part.
So there's is no way around having a key to remove the lock since the tumblers prevent removing of removal of the lock.
So it doesn't matter how great a lock pick you are, unless you can depress all tumblers AND use the wire at the same time, you cannot remove the lock/latch to put another in.

Again - the latch is NOT locked.
I simply wanted to remove the latch/lock so I could put another in, but you MUST have a key and wire inserted at the same time to release all tumblers and the retainer tumbler. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 6:26am
I was under the impression the lock was locked, for some odd reason.

I searched and did not find anything differing to using old keys. Many have successfully used other keys to lock and unlock. Some suggested swap meets to have others give It a try, with their key.

If you are desperate and willing, the old quick and dirty way is to drill out the tumbler, progressively using larger bits until 7/16" is reached.

Luckily there are flats on each side of the lock, which makes using a way to set In position. Since the lock cylinder is pot metal, drilling carefully and slow, should not be that difficult.

The worst thing is damaging the lock latch assembly... but you have a good one with the lock your trying to swap.

Those are the only two methods I can say will get your lock of.

Even if you can get the lock slider to move past the lock tumbler, slow methodical key sliding with an improper key that can lock and unlock, will allow the cylinder to come out. I tested myself with a partial key insertion once i got the cylinder to slide past the lock tumbler.

So you don't necessarily need a perfect match key.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 7:48am
You need a key to put it in locked position. Pretty much any glove box door/lid you buy will be unlocked,
I bought a center section that included the glove box. The door was GOOD, but I don't have a key for it.
I have a door that's NOT good but has a lock that I have a key for.
I need a key to lock the lock on the door that's in the replacement center section so I can put my old lock in it that has a key.
I can't get the lock out of the door I want to use because it's not locked, it must be locked to remove the cylinder.
Can't do the "one at a time" method to get it locked.
If it was locked that would be GREAT because a person can simple press the latch down to get it past the striker, then I could spend hours messing with it........
but keep in mind I have only 7 AMC keys:
The SX4 has one key because there's no hatch lock - factory spoiler.
My 70 has two keys - trunk and ignition
My 73 has two keys - trunk and ignition
I have the original trunk key for the 73 and that's the one that fits the lock I want to use in the good glove box door (I put a NOS trunk lock in the car so it has a NEW trunk key, the old trunk key fits the glove box latch I want to use)
I have one key for the Concord I'm parting.

So - I've already tried all 7 keys - and short of spending a year at swap meets carrying a glove box door around with me trying different keys.............. I'm screwed and can't swap locks.
I can't lock it to get the cylinder in the correct position to remove it. 
It truly is that simple.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 8:49am
Billd, i was able to remove the lock cylinder from the lock assembly without a key. Just needed a paper clip and remove the two screws holding the lock assembly to the door.

There is another square hole in the 3 o'clock position that is hidden by being mounted against the door when secured by screws.

Once you undo the screws you can rotate the lock assembly counter clockwise, till you see the square hole through the maintenance hole, just as you would in the locked position.

Just poke the lock tumbler down as you would before inserting the key. Then pull lock assembly carefully to release the tumbler past the hole. The tumbler knob will hold against the door, so by pulling on the assembly, allows releasing each tumbler without having the barrel slip back into the cylinder by finger pressure. You may have to jiggle up and down a wee bit, but never turn the barrel, and use the paper clip to release the next few tumblers.

Should work for you, and and i think the engineers thought of It for lost key replacement.

I thought of it as a means to drill such a hole, to allow the release while in the relaxed position, since the tumblers are already free for rotation in the barrel.

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/22/2018 at 10:10am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 11:02am
one thing I missed or didn't see on the speaker bracket/dash structure brace was total correct distance from the firewall stud base (the point where a nut turned onto the stud would meet the firewall) to the holes in the dash structure where the screws go through the brace/bracket to the plastic structure.
Since I won't be following making an exact looking total duplicate and since I have no frame of reference - I have NO  bracket and the dash plastic structure or skeleton, is free to move fore and aft, I am not sure how far those screw holes should be from the firewall. Do I need to pull it back a bit or push it forward a bit or is it exactly where it should be if I don't touch it. 
Pretend I am going to use two simple steel straps (I am not, but for ease of explaining - just imagine)
If I were to use, say, stock steel strap.
Also assume when I say rear or back, I mean the part of the dash closer to the people in the car, and if I say front or forward, I mean TOWARD the FIREWALL. Just to keep it simple - front or forward is toward the bumper, back or rear or backward is to the trunk end of the car.
OK, from the back holes that are in the dash plastic structure where the bracket mounts to the plastic, forward to the firewall stud, how many inches is that?
If I took two steel straps or strips of steel, and had a hole in them that went over the front or firewall stud, how far back would I need to make the holes in the other ends of the straps to match up with where the screws go to the dash structure?
Again, I'm not using steel strap (although it may be included just to beef things up as I have some wild ideas for the dash)
Basically, two distances - front bracket hole back to one of the other holes, front bracket hole to the other rear screw hole.
Looking for total length, front to back, of the bracket - most importantly, the holes that secure the bracket to firewall and dash.
Ignore bends and angles, more of a "as the crow flies" as measured by a straight flat ruler that doesn't bend. 
That will tell me if my dash structure or skeleton is too far back or too far forward right now.

I did take out the two screws for the glove box latch and didn't see any other hole other than where they say to insert the "stiff wire".......... but new day so will look again. Time is dictating that I may put on any old door for now and deal with that later since those GB doors can be changed without removing any other parts at all. 
I just spend ALL MORNING servicing and working on Barbara's big quilting machine and yesterday was a lot of non-shop stuff, too........... so, so far this weekend I've not had much time to work with anything to speak of in the shop. 
that's a problem when you know quilting machines inside and out, drive motors, sensor wheels, etc.
There are days I wish I didn't know anything except how to drive and eat and sleep......... weather clearing now I have to deal with the yard after having a massive new driveway put in.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 11:19am
OK, I will measure out the distances for mounting holes between front hole and plastic frame.

As for the hole... i can upload and post a picture to show what i mean. It is possible the lock assembly is a wee different for 71 than 73, as for revision. Or maybe flashing on the cast structure.

If by chance you don't see the hole, you can carefully create one, as on as the mounting hole that has been rotated is 12 o'clock. A small bit near center of the maintenance hole will be enough to push a tumbler down. Though you will have to feel to catch the next tumbler if wiggling does not free it. The last 2 usually can come out with up and down wiggling. But once you get the hang of pushing the tumblers at the front edge down, the procedure is fairly quick.

I know how you feel with having too much to do. Seems like weekends are work days. Plus having to think things through can burn you out.

Should have all the info you require on both key lock and mounting locations between the front and rear holes soon.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 11:34am
OK, the distance between front left mounting hole to the rear mounting hole is 10.750" .

Plus the front being square on the corners, is angled so that it fits the contour of the plastic. Plus the two holes are un even, being right is further back. It's a very odd piece. Not so straight forward. I will make up some images, and post. I figured once you get the measurements you'you'd at least be doing the initial cuts, while waiting. Though you have explained how busy you have been.

Though the plate is curved by the angled areas given. So once you bend at the locations the hole will become exactly to what I measured.

Here is the pictures of the extra hole on the assembly. I should have pointed out the left turn is done facing the door from the front. Since removal of the screws places it in view of the rear side, then the turn is 90 degrees right.

Geezo... just as you think i am an agravation, i finally pull through.

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/22/2018 at 11:40am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic