TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

radio for 73 Jav.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 11:29pm
I'd try http://www.vintagecarradio.com/

They make radios that fit in all classics
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 1:35am
No chance I can talk you into a vintage 8-track stereo?
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 5:30am
Look into an "Aurora" conversion. Google it. This is the ideal setup. Not cheap, but it keeps your factory radio and gives you everything modern.
In the context of what you may have invested in the car the cost isn't that hard to justify. This conversion is unbelieveable.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 5:42am
Billd, you are to use remote extension adapters to connect to the aux and usb ports on stereos.

Basically you can place the remote ports under the dash on a mounting tab or for a cleaner look make use of the glove box for USB stick access.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 7:56am
Bill, you don't need a radio, just sing to yourself real loud.  You know '99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer'!  LOL
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 8:06am
Bill,

I just did an install on a 72 a few week ago so it is some what fresh in my mind.

The 72 has door pockets so the owner did not want to cut in door speakers. Instead we installed one DUAL VOICE COIL speaker in the factory dash location and two speakers in the factory locations in the rear package shelf. The separation and balance are surprising good with this configuration and you retain both left to right and back to front adjustment. I have used this same "three" speaker configuration for the 68-70 AMXs and the owners have been very please with the results.

Also be sure to get the smaller radio knobs. They offer all these fancy knobs but the right hand side is so close to the dash pad you have to use their smaller knobs or you may have a clearance issue.

As far as USB. The best option is to use an USB extension cable to get down to the glove box and use that as the access point. That way the USB stick is out of sight and it removes the temptation from anyone walking past the car. Ditto for the AUX cables. No ports on the front of the radio keeps it more "stock" looking. I think RetroSound sells an USB cable that ends in a surface mount that could be mounted on an inconspicuous location of the dash if you really wanted fast access.

You would be surprised at how well 25 watts covers the inside of the car. I suspect from the way it performs that is really closer to a true 25 watts than what other manufactures claim for their products.

If all else fails you could do the old "mount a monster amp" under the rear package shelf trick. The downside there is your not sure if the exhaust or the radio made you deaf.  LOL

Edited by pit crew - Apr/20/2018 at 8:32am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 8:58am
Could someone please explain what the term DIN means???   Bob Reno in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 9:06am
Originally posted by mrblatzman mrblatzman wrote:

Could someone please explain what the term DIN means???   Bob Reno in Alabama
Sure Bob,

It an industry standard measurement for modern car audio devices.

DIN refers to size 2″ x 8″ opening that a radio fits into. DIN stands for Duetch Industri Normen which the Germans starting using to standardize the radio's in Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes, VW's way back in the mid 80's.
It has since become the industry standard. DOUBLE DIN is the same width of 8″ but is 4″ instead of 2″

The US standard for a DIN radio is 6.83" x 2" (although the actual 180 mm width converts to something like 7-3/32" so most people use 7-1/8" to allow for clearance)
 and the Double DIN sized radio is a 7" x 4".

So once again "standard" does not always mean standard.

Edited by pit crew - Apr/20/2018 at 9:16am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Look into an "Aurora" conversion. Google it. This is the ideal setup. Not cheap, but it keeps your factory radio and gives you everything modern.
In the context of what you may have invested in the car the cost isn't that hard to justify. This conversion is unbelieveable.

LOL - now there's a sticker - I don't have an original radio...... the guy ripped all that stuff out and had a Radioshack AM/FM/cassette stuck in there and it looked horrible as the face plate stuck way over the right edge, etc - plus it didn't work as it was wired goofy and the car has no speakers.

I can't wait a month to send something out and get it back anyway. That's one problem there. The car is all apart, I MUST get it back together and move on (I need the space and can't spend a lot more time on it) - the car is going back together - one way or another, with or without any radio. 

Frankly, I'm not a fan of the appearance of the radios of that vintage even if I had one.
Maybe the 70 but then I like the stock AM/8-track it has. 

That conversion is something I wish I had done with the Eagle because those originals looked nice and were a great fit and the conversion wouldn't change it all that much. 
In fact I've saved a couple really nice original Eagle systems and when I'm sick of the shaking system I have in it (there's really no room to mount and make SOLID a newer system) I'll do that for the Eagle - that's my higher-end sound car anyway. (I have a NOS system still in the box that was for Eagle, Spirit, etc.)
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 9:44am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Billd, you are to use remote extension adapters to connect to the aux and usb ports on stereos.

Basically you can place the remote ports under the dash on a mounting tab or for a cleaner look make use of the glove box for USB stick access.

You know what the glove boxes are like, right? Ha  Wink - once that is back together that stupid glove box AMC made a mockery of may as well be glued shut. I will never open it again except for access to cables and wires. That is among the worst ideas AMC ever had - that stupid joke of a glove box on the floor pointed to the passenger and not enclosed.
I have a mini-USB stick in my Eagle system and it sticks out only a quarter inch - now THAT's a clean look. No extra cables stuck in the dash, nothing else to mount. Ideally - the ideal system has the ports on the FRONT, right where I want them, NO extra cables to dangle or tie up. 
Clean is where it's all integrated and a tiny mini-USB is in the port.
For aux use - that's not so bad as I'd not use that too often. And since aux is for MP3 players you don't want a cable dangling in your way from the front of the system, that's fine elsewhere. In my Eagle I ran the iPod connection cable into the glovebox. But it has a decent glovebox the driver can get to and big enough to hold a lot of stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic