TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

radio for 73 Jav.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73LevisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 12:43pm
Definitely do the wiring now so you have simple upgrade options down the line. Once you find out that those old amps and EQ work, you'll be ready to rock. I know I'd be itching to get 'em all hooked up and pounding. ;D

I've always thought that Polk made pretty good stuff and have considered these component speakers in the past. They're by no means "pro" but mounting depth (1 - 13/16") is about as shallow as I've come across and the price is decent. I recently ordered from Crutchfield and they got my order correct and shipped VERY fast (2-3 days).

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB6502/Polk-Audio-DB-6502.html?tp=64033

I feel your pain on the yard work! We built a house last summer and moved in at the beginning of November. I have an acre of lawn to seed, a vegetable garden to "create" and the dozen fruit trees for my wife's "orchard" will arrive late next week. I'm trading my efforts for a week off to attend the Auburn AMO event - LOL. A fair deal, I'd say...

'73 Hornet X
304/904
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Both the original cluster and the replacement have identical openings - exactly 2" tall. No diff at all. There were no speakers in the door, no speakers in the rear deck, not a sign of the car ever having had a radio at all. Even the antenna is a cheap after-market thing. 

Just curious. My 1974 Gremlin is a radio delete. It still has the radio delete plate in the opening. AND it does not have a hole for the anntenna.... Does your car have a hole for the antenna?

Like I said - even the antenna is a cheap after-market thing. So it has an owner-installed cheap antenna.

Either the PO made a hole, or there was a hole and he replaced the original. Who knows.
Since the radio it had wasn't fully installed, not when I got the car, anyway, and the dash's original speaker bracket was completely missing - I'll never know, I guess. If that bracket had been there I could tell if it had a speaker in it at one time.
I can say for certain - there were never any speakers in the rear deck, there were never any speakers in the doors.
The question will always remain - did it have an AM only radio and speaker only in the dash - or no radio?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 4:15pm

Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Both the original cluster and the replacement have identical openings - exactly 2" tall. No diff at all. There were no speakers in the door, no speakers in the rear deck, not a sign of the car ever having had a radio at all. Even the antenna is a cheap after-market thing. 

Just curious. My 1974 Gremlin is a radio delete. It still has the radio delete plate in the opening. AND it does not have a hole for the anntenna.... Does your car have a hole for the antenna?

Like I said - even the antenna is a cheap after-market thing. So it has an owner-installed cheap antenna.

Either the PO made a hole, or there was a hole and he replaced the original. Who knows.
Since the radio it had wasn't fully installed, not when I got the car, anyway, and the dash's original speaker bracket was completely missing - I'll never know, I guess. If that bracket had been there I could tell if it had a speaker in it at one time.
I can say for certain - there were never any speakers in the rear deck, there were never any speakers in the doors.
The question will always remain - did it have an AM only radio and speaker only in the dash - or no radio?
ok. I was just wondering
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 5:37pm
Did you know:
The speaker grills for the 73 Javelin door panels are IDENTICAL to the Eagle door panel speaker grills??
Yup - size, shape, shape of the hole they fit into, how they are held in, identical.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 6:10pm
Bet the car just had AM like my Rambler, Bill.  Kind of odd though, given the model year.  FM was catching on by that point.

1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 6:29pm
I would bet that you are correct. It makes total sense - IF there was a speaker it was in the dash, but the bracket was gone so can't tell. There was no other wiring, and nothing indicating a "Stereo".
You'd be amazed at how many radios I see for sale like on eBay, whatever, that are AM, AM/FM, etc. so.......
Hey, back then KIOA was still AM if I recall correctly, so AM would have been fine for me back then! LOL
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 7:13pm
One thing I'm still not following though, Bill...

As best I can tell skimming the thread, it seems like you're jumping thru all these hoops to fit a modern stereo unit into the car.  Why not just get a modern stereo that's designed to fit your Javelin from either Vintage Car Radio or RetroSound.  Both sites have some great options that would fit in my Rambler.  RetroSound even has Sirius XM capable radios, LOL.

Vintage I can't tell if they have anything.  There's just 4 radios for all AMCs

http://www.vintagecarradio.com/

RetroSound has some really nice looking decks that specifically say they'd fit your car though:

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/collections/all/1973+amc+javelin

Addenda: If you're just looking to keep the radio out of sight for anti-theft reasons, both sites have great options on hidden radios too

Edited by rms827 - Apr/24/2018 at 7:16pm

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 7:28pm
THREE HUNDRED BUCKS is one reason.
Actually that's the major reason, but the other reason is I'm not looking for a stock look. 
But $300 is one reason.
Also these other modern systems can read a lot more file types such as some of the newer compressed audio formats.

The only reason I'm doing what I am doing is to avoid cutting a dash.
(and I may still do that........ but am trying to avoid it if possible)
I can buy a whole system for half that - speakers and all.
That three hundred is just the radio.
(I don't give a @#%$# about satellite radio - ugh, I ain't paying a monthly fee)
And any problems it's a proprietary rig. 
Now if money was no object and I was concerned about stock look, I'd have one ordered.
But I got a system and four speakers for about a hundred bucks less than one of those systems.

Yeah, pit crew and a couple of others have posted links to the various vintage radio places. 
If it were my 70, maybe, but then I sort of like the 8 track that's in it  Wink

If I decide what the heck, cut it anyway, it would be installed in minutes. 
But I can make a cable for under 20 bucks to allow the faceplate to be put almost anywhere and for another 20 I can have wireless remote!
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 7:49pm
Yeah, the ones with all the bells and whistles are pricey for sure.  Not like alot of other vendors don't see vintage car folks as a cash cow though, LOL.

Electrical is an area I'm fair to middlin' at. Did have my ASE though.  For me, it'd be worth the time saved to get one of the mid priced models.  I want a vintage look too though.  I can tell from your posts you've got more experience with electrical than me, and enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" (job) a bit more than I do, so the cost savings definitely makes sense.

Satellite...  I had a free year in my PT Cruiser when I bought it back in 2004.  We got a free couple of months in the g/f's new Subaru Forester also.  Have to agree that it's not really a big deal.  Even more so nowadays when a phone can hold a few hundred MP3 long playlist easily. 

Satellite is good if you're a talk junkie, but most of the music stations have play lists 1/8 the size of an FM station.

And yeah, 8 tracks are cool, esp if they still work Big smile Thumbs Up

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 10:24pm
I confirmed that the connectors I ordered were shipped today - USPS priority mail
These are genuine Alpine parts and are specific to the Alpine models that include what I have, so, with any luck I'll be able to make a cable that will simply plug into the head unit and then the faceplate allowing me to have a few inches between them. 
The one photo shows the back side, they didn't have a photo of the side that plugs into the connector shown in the second photo/image.. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic