TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

radio for 73 Jav.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: radio for 73 Jav.....
    Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 6:00pm
I know I'm getting old when I'm told by two dealers that "no one buys car stereos any more"......
Anyway, DIN is I believe 2" x 8" hole for mounting bracket. The Javelin has at best 6.5" between the right edge of the gauge area (the tach, or clock, for example) and the right edge of the cluster where it meets the rest of the dash. That's over an inch too small for DIN. You'd really have to hack to make a DIN system fit left to right.
Depth, no problem. Even height isn't an issue because the AM/FM/cassette systems of that era were fairly tall behind the dash, where you couldn't see.

Both said "we can't get shaft mount any more" and one said "try your luck on eBay" (I stopped talking with that one)
I took my old/original cluster in with me to a small shop operating in the east side and although the young guy was extremely helpful and spent some time, when he was done we both agreed, can't use DIN without some serious hacking of the dash structure and the cluster face.
Then he pulled out a thing that looked a lot like a small tablet or large GPS device. It said "Alpine" on the side. We held it up to the cluster where the radio would be and it JUST covered that area but left room on the left and right - it also covered the area where the AC outlet would be under the factory radio, too.
Now to mount it IN the dash - similar problem as DIN - to cut and make the bracket that held it in the dash would be a BIIIG hole, and a taller hole, too.
Ah, but this thing could be stuck ON the dash, didn't have to go IN the dash.
Another bummer, though - it was "monitor only"
In other words you still had to have the "radio/receiver" part. 
Since I can't just get a "radio" that will fit, or a "radio" with USB - 

They were going to make some calls about a system with monitor, "receiver" with USB and let me know. 

I'm curious - other than having a stock radio and sending it out and waiting days or WEEKS and spending 300 bucks, what are others doing?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 6:06pm
I've seen guys put the radio else where instead of the stock opening. Ive seen them under the seat, underdash, and in the glove box. I know they still sell radios.....and some aftermarket radios also have remote conteols..... I probably wont put an aftermarket in any of mine.. lol
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 6:15pm
Bill,

Got your back. RetroSound radio will fit the factory opening. You can get it with AUX inputs, USB, Bluetooth, AM/FM, and even SiriusXM ready.
I have installed them in a number of cars including big body Javelins and love them.

http://www.retromanufacturing.com/collections/all/1973+amc+javelin

Edited by pit crew - Apr/19/2018 at 6:35pm

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 6:20pm
Yes, they sell "radios" but they are all DIN - and even those aren't being stocked save for a few by the better stores any more. Just a few basic models. 

Under dash in a 73 would be on your knees - heck I removed the PO's gauges he had mounted under there because they were a pain in the butt - actually, in the legs, in the way, just BAAAD place.

No space to speak of under the seats in these - it would be tight under there.
 you can't see it to operate it so a remote would be a MUST.
If it had any power, heat could be a problem where it would get no air circulation.
I've had 300 watt amps under the seats in my Jeep pickup and I wondered about them on hot days. But then with ten speakers, two subs, two amps, an EQ and head unit in that little truck, where else could one put the amps? HA. No place else except back in the box.
Even with a remote, under the seat is really one of those less than ideal places. Heat, DIRT, lack of access, etc.
73 doesn't really have a glove box - in fact the thing they call a glove box is worthless, can't be accessed by the driver since it faces almost squarely to the passenger, and it's not big enough for even a standard DIN system. So that's not a player in a Javelin of this vintage. They are so small I can't even get my winter gloves in there. They are what, 4" wide?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 6:21pm
I think pit has the answer
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 6:32pm
I just noticed how many pictures I have of cars under construction and how few I have of completed cars. Oh well.

1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 6:48pm
Craigs list here in Denver has two factory AM FM radios for sale that I believe are correct for your car. Not mine and I know nothing about them other than what is stated in the add, not cheap.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 6:49pm
Uh, Ken - maybe you are like me and never finish any of those projects? LOL
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Uh, Ken - maybe you are like me and never finish any of those projects? LOL
Oh I get them finished but for some reason we get them out the door and move on to the next one before I remember to take some pictures.

Anyway, I hope the RetroSound radio selection will do the trick for you.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 11:27pm
I just spent another TWO HOURS looking around, and at the retro link. 
$300 - PLUS speakers (and shipping I assume).
A bit strong in price for what I'm after and a system with only 25 watts.
Was hoping to keep TOTAL down under 250-300 WITH decent speakers.

Has to be ordered, can't buy locally means I leave the car apart another week - that's part of living around Des Moines, the city that stocks nothing much at all.
Guess I'm asking for too much to get something in a day or two and under 250 with speakers!

(and it IS going back together this weekend, radio or no radio.)

Uh, question -  the inputs or ports are also rear-mounted. How do you access USB or aux input when they are rear mounted - and the dash is closed up? Really?
This is from their site - 
A rear mounted USB port allows you to play MP3/WMA music files...........
Two rear mounted auxiliary inputs for portable devices are also included.........
Rear?

Nice that it fits the dash, but at only 25 watts per channel with the noise this car makes I wonder if that's enough?
I'll be putting in only two speakers - it's all I can budget for now and all there's space for.
They'll be in the rear deck. there's no place else for speakers short of cutting up the door panels) 
I guess they have you since it's about the only shaft mounted system on the planet.

I hope to have two speakers - will be in rear deck as there's no door panel cutouts. That's also where he had the cable run to - the trunk area, from the dash area.
Otherwise it was likely originally an AM only car.  Currently there isn't a speaker in the car at all and no place for one but in the middle of the dash.

Now if it was the little Eagle - that would be different, but it's already setup for DIN so I don't even need anything special - although the next system I put in it will be a SHALLOW DIN with NO CD (who uses those in a car any more) A standard depth system smacks the defroster duct and you can't make it solid in the Eagle dash - there's simply no space and no way to brace it. The Javelin has room to swim compared to an Eagle dash radio area. Too bad the radio area of the Javelin is so NARROW. Tall, yeah, but really narrow left to right. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic