TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Radiators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiators
    Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 4:59pm
Some questions for the experts.

What is the difference between the pre 1974 and the newer radiators and why do the older ones cost half as much?

Somewhere I heard that there was a Jeep radiator that will fit the later small body cars, which one?

Is there a radiator core from another more popular car that can be fitted to the tanks or the small body cars?

I think that is it

1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1978 American (Concord base)
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 7:39pm
I am working on the same issue as we speak.....My 64 American wagon has had 2 different rad`s over the years...one from a 74 Ambassador...and the current one is a 5.0l Concord 2 core ..only slight mod`s...upper rad hose location is also different but a Concord hose corrected that.....Fast forward to now...i`m building a Concord and i need a radiator...i was looking at early AMX aluminum one`s but need to take some measurements...I do know that an early AMX rad will fit a 66/69 American it`s just taller.... 
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
mitchito View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 10:04pm
So the upper hose on the early cars is closer to the side of the rad or to the center?  I know from bad experience that if it is farther from the center, the original Concord hose will touch the fan belt
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
nothingface5384 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothingface5384 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 11:58am
Someone put a Ford radiator in mine lol cause I see FOMCO stamped on the tank
1972 Pro-Toured Buick Skylark Twin turbo efi 355 v8

1973 Pro-Toured Ford Maverick 302 v8

1975 Stock AMC Hornet 232 I6

1978 Stock Plymouth Volare 225 /6
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 10:11pm
A Modine radiator from a 68 American from my parts car.

Don't know if the picture helps but it shows the inlet and outlet locations.

LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 7:07am
Just guessing here..........

When they were using the Borg Warner transmissions they were air cooled units, not requiring a tank in the radiator. When they went to Chrysler trans they were cooled by a tank in the radiator.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 3:01pm
To expand on what Ollie said, V8 cars and heavy duty 6 cylinder fleet cars had tranny coolers in the radiators in early years with BW, but most regular 6 cylinder cars had air cooled tranny’s.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
mitchito View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 8:44pm
Got it, It also looks like the later cars have the upper inlet (or is it outlet) more to the center so the hose doesn't get eaten by the A/C belt.
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 7:06am
I've got a 74 Jeep pickup (J-10) three core radiator in my 63 Classic, had to mod the lower support a little because the radiator is taller. A Jeep CJ radiator should fit without that mod -- I just happened to have a good Jeep J-10 radiator -- the three core was the HD option. AMC basically used one core size (width and height) for nearly all cars from at least 58 on. The mount points are different, but the core size is the same -- including AMC produced CJ Jeeps.
Frank Swygert
Ranger and Son View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger and Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 10:45am
I just sent my Radiator out to get a new core. we were unable to find one that would correctly work with the 85. The cost was about 300. She is in the vehicle and working well. However, we are doing quite alot more to get her back on the road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic