TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Radiator swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroostookspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator swap
    Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 7:17am
I’ve swapped a 360 and 727 into my 82 spirit. It was a 2.5. Can someone suggest a source for a radiator that will fit correctly?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 7:58am
First thoughts would be to check your local rad shops. They can take the brackets and tanks off your old rad and possibly make a three core.
Other then that Champion makes two core and can (at cost) make what you want new, Rock Auto and others sell two core new or search e-xxx for an aftermarket aluminum.
I'd go three core or aluminum as you will need cooling that is just at a two core's limit, depending on were and how you run the car.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 8:10am
Originally posted by aroostookspirit aroostookspirit wrote:

I’ve swapped a 360 and 727 into my 82 spirit. It was a 2.5. Can someone suggest a source for a radiator that will fit correctly?

If your 2.5 Spirit was a non-AC car, you've got the narrow radiator which I'm sure you've already figured out won't work.  whatever you do, don't throw it away - those are getting rare as hens teeth, someone somewhere will need it, if for nothing else than the top and bottom tanks.

I agree with the other post in that you can get a Spectra from Rock Auto or elsewhere that should work just fine unless your 360 is a serious build - then you may want to look at a Champion aluminum radiator which are close to being a bolt in.  Just spec for a 79 Spirit AMX v8 and you'll get something that looks OEM and will bolt in nicely.

EDIT:  just checked RockAuto, and their listing is a bit wonky, showing nothing at all for 79 Spirit, but found what you need for an OE style radiator under 1980 Concord: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/american+motors,1980,concord,4.2l+258cid+l6,1002935,cooling+system,radiator,2172

I'm running a Griffin 3-row in my 401 Gremlin (same basic structure as your Spirit) and while it cools OK, it required too much hacking to make fit, I'm regretting that decision now as I'd like to get the underhood area looking a bit more like OEM.

Edited by 73Gremlin401 - Jun/23/2018 at 8:34am
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Dave Z View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 9:20am
For everything but Pacers there are two radiators for AMC cars. The difference between the two is the way the brackets are mounted. Other than that the difference was number of cores and size of the core, but the mounting was still one of two. It's become easier for suppliers of replacement radiators to offer what would have been the bigger core as a replacement for everything.
I've bought aluminum radiators from APD ( 72 and 73 Javelin)and they fit great. I also put a Champion radiator in my Ambassador. It had a small fitment issue that I was able to correct without much trouble. I believe both radiators have the overflow nipple pointing in the wrong direction.
The APD radiator may be better quality than the Champion but overall I'd say the Champion is the best value and the next radiator I need will probably come from them.

Dave Z
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic