TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Racecar building

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racecar building
    Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 4:33pm
Assuming a reasonable recovery in the economy by next spring, I want to start a roadracing project. My aim is to buy a 304 Javelin or Hornet and build a NASA American Iron class racer.

I would like to use this thread to have members who have built, or are building a roadracing AMC a place to pose questions, share ideas and create a "database" of resourses for the community to use on their projects.

It is obvious that some of you have already "been there, done that". It would be great to be able to tap into that pool of knowledge.

I know there are individual threads regarding Engines, Suspension, etc, but not a Central Repository of RACE CAR building tips and techniques.

Anyone care to start?
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
JavMD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2009 at 5:46pm
i'm building a 79 AMX - 24 hour BF Goodrich Nurburgring car.    I wonder if the Toyo R888 14 tires will work
BDR
TinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2009 at 7:20pm
If you go with the Javelin I'm sure that someone can give you a hand with information from the Trans-Am Javelin.
I'll be keeping an eye on this topic, I like cars that go fast in a straight line AND turn Wink
There's a good blog here you might want to read through, it's mostly about making an AMC "g-machine."
http://asifnyc.com/
JavMD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2009 at 9:11pm
i'll look at g machine info.  i use to think 13 sec straight line was a 'rush', but after 25 minutes at (nelson ledges) road race track,  or (blackhawk farms),  now thats adeneline pumping action to go as fast as you can, bends, turns and straight aways !  check you tube:  blackhawk farm mustang spirit"  awesome!
BDR
Geezer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2009 at 7:51am
To anybody building a car from scratch...copy the rulebook... and know it inside and out.  NASA's American Iron is a great class. 
Jeff Puras

WingedSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingedSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2009 at 10:08pm
I think an AMC could be up front in that class!
Spirit wheelbase too short for the rules though. Probably a Hornet or Concord?
Straightaways are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2009 at 8:06pm
Here is an article that my brother found (in of all places, Hotrod.com)...

I will keep my eyes open for part II...

Gregg
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
Surbski View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surbski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 9:26pm
I too am hoping for a little love from the economy and portfolio over the next 6 - 12 months.  Have a great '69 AMX but am wanting to put together a TA style 68, 69 or 70 Javelin.  So I will be watching this thread also.  Keep us posted on what you're finding out there... my first question would be what you're going to start with?  I'm not sure if I need to find something that's straight and rust free (but hideous...  $2,500?) or if I'll be happy spending more money on a good 20 footer and then going from there ($7,000 - $10,000?).
JavMD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2009 at 9:21am
i put some money in this 79 AMX Nurburgring 'clone' and will race it at nelson ledges - fundays only of course,  hope to get a 401 in it, the 304 is totally worn and not powerful enough for acceleration coming out of the curves.  Got a 360 and 401 on engine stands, will do the 401.
I also have a rust free javelin 390 4 speed on blocks to restore.  I'll start that in 2011 as I continue to work the bugs out of the 79 AMX.   bought a 'roll cage' for a little extra safety, got to install that.

I just watched some youtube videos on cars at road courses (wrecking) definitely will install the cage and better seat belts.

I like racing the Javelin at the track but thought it weighed too much and went down to the 79 AMX.  Probably in 2011 I'll go back to the Javelin but will see how the 'go cart' 79 AMX runs in 2010.

But just on FUNDAYs !
Hope to take it to Kenosa 2010 and Greenmeade Detrioit AMC show this summer?
BDR
WingedSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingedSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2009 at 11:41am
Hi JavMD

I have a set of 3" shoulder and lap belts I'll let go cheap if you need them. Only used once this season so they are a pretty fresh set. May have a race seat for that Spirit if you need one of those too.
Dean
Straightaways are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
  Share Topic