TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

R154 adapted to AMC kit feeler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 3:53pm
For fun I drew a little diagram of how these transmissions work. You can see that losing the input shaft piece and the counter shaft piece is a big deal.
'71 FrankenHornet:
'72 258 '95 4.0L Head Holley 390CFM
AX15 with R154 gears 5 speed Hurst shifter
AMC20 rear axle Detroit TrueTrac
Dual Exhaust
Concord Discs Spirit AMX sway bars
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 7:59am
I know exactly what is engaged in 4th gear.
I bought new input and cluster for 330 ft lb T-5 and did not spend anyway near the $600 mark.

So, I was curious, Thanks for clearing this up.
The diagram will help others I'm sure.

As a background, I was ASE certified Master tech from 87-97 when I left the auto service shop for child care. The child care has proven to be much more rewarding. One is a Mechanical engineer for U.S.Steel and the other is a University senior in Wildlife and Fisheries with a 4.0 GPA and aspirations to just follow the track to a P.H.D.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 12:40pm
Wrambler I was just posting that for people who don't know
I know that you're the man
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

I know exactly what is engaged in 4th gear.
I bought new input and cluster for 330 ft lb T-5 and did not spend anyway near the $600 mark.

God if I just wanted Ford stuff how cheap and easy my life would be.

I'm slowly getting parts together for a 4.0L T-5 Pacer so I'm excited to see what can be done with all the plentiful and cheap T-5 performance stuff.
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 7:15pm
When Ant machined it, I had him cut it (what I thought would be) 1/8" long which was 1"

I sprayed some white spray paint to help see where they are meeting. I left the input greasy when I sprayed it and only waited 15 min before putting it in so the paint had set up a bit but was still soft.
There are two marks. I think the place with no paint is where the needles are (I spun the input bearing from the back for a minute). The edge of the bearing is out from that. I want the bearing to make a lot more contact. It looks like the sleeve will need to be 1/4" longer. From my calculations, I'm not sure why this is the case, but I have a theory...

My theory is that the grey line on this '94 input shaft is the edge of the pilot bushing which means the pilot area of the input is already 1/8" out of the 4.0L crank bore...

I suppose the 258 crank bore could be about another 1/4" further toward the engine. With such a large tip for the AX15, it doesn't really matter. For the R154, it has a lot less area and I think it does matter. The tip only being in a little bit means there is room for a needle to fall out and the bearing to fail. Without the bearing working, the tip is not supported and would want to become eccentric due to centrifugal force. Added play in the shaft would make the input bearing fail more quickly, causing gear slop that would destroy the input gear and the counter shaft (like the pictures in a previous post). That's a long way of saying we want the pilot tip making good contact with the pilot bearing.

Edited by 71hornet6 - Nov/25/2014 at 1:54pm
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
Greg55_99 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg55_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2014 at 11:20am
This info is VERY cool.  As a note however, 2WD AX15's are fairly common.  Look under 94-99 Dodge Dakota's.  Anyway, I'm LOVING your info.  Wish I could do this.

Greg
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2014 at 11:01pm
I got this transmission book and read it in one sitting...

Probably more info about 4 speeds than I care about.
I am interested in taking old cars on road trips more than taking them to the track.
I found this gem which I found hilarious:

"Much energy, time and money are wasted trying to adapt Toyota Supra transmissions to Jaguars or 4-cylinder S-10 truck 5-speeds to a 1968 Camaro."
Hahah... should you put an R154 in your Jaguar? No. In your AMC? Yes!
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2014 at 5:37pm
I recommend anyone out there who wants to do this hybrid transmission sign up for email alerts from craigslist and Row52 (junkyard inventory search). If you watch for 6 months or so, you can probably get both for cheap. 
You really have to be ready to pounce if you want to get an R154 at junkyard prices, at least that has been my experience.
I'm lucky to have a flexible job and can usually go at the drop of a hat to check out '87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo at the junk yard. I have gotten two this way over the last year but have probably checked out a dozen cars.
If you have access to a really big junkyard, you probably get an AX15 2WD from a Jeep or Dodge Durango/Dakota most days. My experience here in CA has been roughly 1/10 Jeeps at the junkyard are manual transmissions and 1/10 are 2WD. I will sometimes drive down to San Jose (biggest yards near me) when they have 5 or more 2WD 93+ Jeeps as it's a coin toss they'll have the AX15 with everything I need. It's annoying but there is a high error rate in listings. Sometimes they won't tell you if it's auto or manual. Sometimes it will be listed incorrectly as the other. Sometimes 2WD will be 4x4 and vice versa. Expect to make a few trips and factor this into your costs if you don't want to wait for one on craigslist.
If you don't mind pulling two transmissions, you're more likely to find a '93+ 4x4 AX15 with the bellhousing etc. that you need and a 2WD AX15 behind a Dodge. Make sure to bolt them together as the dopes at the local pick-n-pull would probably charge you for a bellhousing AND a RWD transmission otherwise.
For the AX15 your best bet is craigslist alerts as you can get them already pulled for $200 or less. Where I live a manual RWD transmission with bellhousing is about $185 out the door at the Pick-N-Pull so craigslist makes more sense but you have to wait a while for one to pop up. I have got 2 2WD AX15s via craigslist over the last year.

The cheaper you can get the cores, the more the project makes sense. Rebuilt R154s go for $1500 plus on eBay so it's probably not worth it if you have to pay top dollar for the R154.

'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 11:46pm
Have not heard from you in a while. Do you have any progress to report? 
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 10:34am
Originally posted by garsod garsod wrote:

Have not heard from you in a while. Do you have any progress to report? 

I am in Mexico drinking Pacifico and tequila by the beach for the rest of the week
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic