TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

R154 adapted to AMC kit feeler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 8:30pm
Press is like $120 without coupon at harbor fright.

If you're going to build a few just go get a press and drink the beer yourself
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

Press is like $120 without coupon at harbor fright.

If you're going to build a few just go get a press and drink the beer yourself

Look what you made me do... OK I've had a few

'71 FrankenHornet:
'72 258 '95 4.0L Head Holley 390CFM
AX15 with R154 gears 5 speed Hurst shifter
AMC20 rear axle Detroit TrueTrac
Dual Exhaust
Concord Discs Spirit AMX sway bars
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 7:18am

not to pee in your Cherios, but most of the threads on Harbor Freight tools say steer clear of the 12 ton press and go right for the 20 ton.

Either way I've heard enough complaints about their press plates not trust them.

Good luck with the trans builds, I'm following this thread & really enjoying the tech Beer

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

not to pee in your Cherios, but most of the threads on Harbor Freight tools say steer clear of the 12 ton press and go right for the 20 ton.

Either way I've heard enough complaints about their press plates not trust them.

Yeah I know some of their tools suck but if it makes it through one build, for $100 I think that's a win. They had two types: this one had decent reviews. The main complain was it was flimsy. I have a couple welder friends so I think we can stiffen her up.

I'm gonna have to set up a little shop the way I'm getting into this stuff. I hope people buy the package so I can make lots more.

Edited by 71hornet6 - Oct/26/2014 at 7:15pm
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2014 at 12:20pm
One more thing that may be applicable to AMC
The non turbo supra trans, W58, can be bolted to the AMC/Jeep 2.5L.
This trans is plenty stout for the 2.5 as it was made for a 3.0L
It needs a long pilot bushing however.
Again the benefit would be gearing for a sporty passenger car rather than the truck geared AX5.

Turbo F.I. 2.5L w/ W58 in an AMC anyone? It'd be pretty neat... especially for someone like me who gets special joy out of bolting a bunch of junk yard parts together.

Of course, in this case with the GM 60 degree V6 bell, it would be more logical to do T-5

The W58 swap would be probably be cheapest though since it uses all the AX5 parts for the clutch so if you picked up a 2.5 and AX5 setup for nothing, you'd only need the weird extension pilot and the W58 which are plentiful. Could be a very cheap and decent setup

Edited by 71hornet6 - Oct/27/2014 at 1:50pm
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2014 at 10:50pm
Great read. Hope to be able to afford one of these soon.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 12:21pm
Dodge Dakota with 2.5 (AMC) and 5 speed got AX-15s. That bellhousing is the holy grail of many TJ owners.
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 10:54am
AX15 identification:

-On the left you can see the internal slave setup because it has the hydraulic lines sticking out of a small hole with no bolts.
The external slave is shaped like an eye or rather an exhaust gasket (pictured on the right below)

Back to the first picture... on the right you can see the speedo housing. According to meanmax on jeepforum:
'92 & newer have electric only speedo input. '91 has both the cable & the electrical, and '90 and older have cable only."

So if this is a pre-93 slave and a post '91 speedo, that would make it a '92 (actually could be a '91, pic's kinda blurry). I will have to replace the speedo housing so I can use a mechanical setup with the 93 style. Fortunately there's tons of donors for this part at all the junk yards around me that are filled with '80s Cherokees etc.

Also, once it's in the car and your wheels and axle gears have been chosen, you need the corresponding speedometer gear.
There's a chart here: http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-46.htm
to make things more complicated, there's two length speedo gear.
"It seems some of the 92 and early 93 electric sending units still used a long shaft speedo gear. Its very easy to pull the gear housing (one half inch bolt) just make a note of the clocking of the housing (it can go in 4 positions) If you have a long shaft it will be about 4 inches total legth and short shaft will be about 2 1/2 total legth."

Edited by 71hornet6 - Oct/30/2014 at 10:59am
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 11:19am
Got some parts from Marlin Crawler.
Top: First gear thrust washer. THE weak point in these transmissions. Marlin made one that is chrome-moly and seems very well made
Bottom: Billet steel rear bearing retainer. This isn't for mine because I really don't need it with my 258 but it's for #2 that I'm building for a 401
Bottom: Marlin Crawler EcoSeal output seal. Just wanted to see it. Not sure how it's better than stock but I'm throwing it on #2 so that it has all the parts of the Marlin R154 HD (except for the 1-2 Billet shift fork which is $129 and not directly related to torque rating.) I believe these upgrades should make it strong enough for any 401. I should call Marlin to make sure
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 11:29am
Also I got the cheap press. I had to add a few washers to make up for loose tolerances but now it feels pretty stiff like it will work fine. I think the bearing splitter will get here today then I'm ready to get pressing!
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic