TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Putting 80s 258 2 barrel intake on 76 engine - wha
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Putting 80s 258 2 barrel intake on 76 engine - wha

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mantonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 8:10pm
1976 AMC Pacer X
1978 AMC Pacer V8
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 1:25am
Permatex RED high temp silicone will seal exhausts. you can't fill holes, it will blow out! but as a sealer or gasket it's great. 1200 degree flame fronts, no! but 400F metal, fine. thread and small gap filler works. though i had my exhaust manifolds ground flat, i use a thin bead of read silicone on them as gasket.

i also wrapped my manifold and downpipe with fiberglass cloth strip i got from summit. wow, does that make overall underhood and cabin temps lower! i laced it up with stainless safety wire, and had a couple of minor loose spots i sealed with red silicone. (you can touch the manifold of the engine after a long hot run. its "hot" but not emergency room time :-)
1961 roadster american
195.6 OHV, modded
T5z, 3.42:1 mustang axle
mantonas View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mantonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 8:12pm
Thanks, I still haven't finished tightening all the plugs; maybe I should take them all out and put some of that high temp RTV on the threads first.

Subject change: I bought one of those tiny 4" round air cleaners and the hood won't close. There's a spacer under the carb that came with it when I bought it on eBay. I assumed it was part of the factory configuration and needed to be there, either so the butterflies would clear the inside of the manifold or to help vaporize the fuel before it is forced to make an abrupt right angle turn. Even if neither of these is true, I would prefer to keep it because I think a spacer helps low end throttle response. However, if I don't absolutely need it, and I can close the hood if I remove it, I'm removing it. Can I get by without it?
1976 AMC Pacer X
1978 AMC Pacer V8
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 11:43pm
the pacer used an offset air cleaner, your old one barrel air cleaner should work. that spacer is the phenolic insulator, keep it if possible. gz
george z
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2017 at 12:37am
Originally posted by mantonas mantonas wrote:

I would prefer to keep it because I think a spacer helps low end throttle response. However, if I don't absolutely need it, and I can close the hood if I remove it, I'm removing it. Can I get by without it?

it is very unlikely that a short, arbitrarily shaped spacer has any effect at all on air flow. while it's true intake runners can make a difference, it's not that simple. 

the 4" air cleaner might be too small for a 258 and restrict airflow at speed.

1961 roadster american
195.6 OHV, modded
T5z, 3.42:1 mustang axle
mantonas View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mantonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2017 at 9:22am
You know, I was about to post a reply that the factory air cleaner wouldn't fit because it slips down onto a stud sticking out of the top of the valve cover and it won't reach the carburetor, but then I remembered the stud is mounted in a sort of slotted clip, so I went and took a look at it and it appears that, since the slot is horizontal, I should be able to move the stud closer to the carburetor and use the factory air cleaner after all. This solves my problem.

P.S. I have a 4" round air cleaner for sale :)
1976 AMC Pacer X
1978 AMC Pacer V8
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic