TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Prothane rear conntrol arm bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prothane rear conntrol arm bushings
    Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 9:23pm
So I need some more advice for my Ambassador project. I have the rear end removed from the car to clean/paint as well as replace some seals and gaskets to hopefully cure some leaks. I also installed some new control arm bushings that I picked up cheap last year at the Cleveland meet, and have them all pressed in to their respective places. Now that everything is painted and pretty much ready to put together, it finally dawned on me why the bushings had a little container of grease and were somewhat different from the ones that I removed. They were Prothane/polyurethane bushings, duh! My front end is totally rebuilt with stock rubber bushings, and I want to know if I should remove the new bushings and install rubber/stock ones to match the front? While I am not looking for extra work, I have heard that the poly type bushings squeak after awhile regardless of how they are greased, and also wear out quicker than rubber ones. Also the car is a convertible and is basically a couch on wheels, so a tighter suspension is not so important on this car. If I have made a mistake, it will never be easier than now to fix it, but never having used these types of bushings, I am kind of out of me element. The icing on the cake is that unlike the front end, the bushings in the rear were in fairly nice shape, and probably didn't need replaced. Please advise. Dave

Edited by fhpdave - Aug/17/2016 at 7:53am
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2016 at 7:59pm
I have a complete poly suspension in my Matador front and rear and trust me the big cars ride way better with them than rubber so dont believe any of the naysayers. Instead of using the wax grease supplied I suggest you use an anti seize paste which will last longer. My favorite is Chesterton 787 moly paste and 4 years after my build there is not a sound. BTW AMC 4 link bushings are identical to chevy chevelle in size in fact my Matador has Edelbrock control arms (upper) from an early Chevelle. Also get yourself a rear sway bar from another big body car and you will be amazed how much better your car handles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic