TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Properly made tool got the job done

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Properly made tool got the job done
    Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 5:53pm
Today, removed the coil springs from the 68 AMX. Made the spring compressor/decompressor to do the job. The front end will  be getting the "Full Monty" : bushings, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, rebuilt trunnions, sway bar bushings, strut rod bushings, paint. Rebuilt engine is waiting to go in from underneath after the suspension is done. Spring under full compression in picture with the deep well socket (8") made by cutting socket in half and welding to each end of a pipe. Used thrust bearings on threaded rod to eliminate binding while compressing coil spring.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 6:00pm
LOVE IT!! Now that's a great tool, easy to use, safe looking and you should get together with MATCO or Snap-On and have your socket manufactured LOL

Good use of thrust bearings, good angle on those threaded rods to make it easier to get your loooooong socket on things, just nice job all around.

I see you even captured the spring positively - with bolts holding the sides together.

Thumbs Up
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 9:08pm
Thanks BILLD: Attaching another picture because some may wonder how much the coil spring needs to be compressed...about 5-1/4".
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 10:21pm
Did you or could you raise the opposite rear corner to compress the spring somewhat before, uh, compressing the spring?
That's what we typically did - raised the opposite corner and while I held the Kent-Moore tools up to get them in place, my boss leaned down on that front corner. (he was a not tall guy, and barely 160 pounds, I bet, so he didn't add much to the compression, but it was just enough)

Anyway, again, nice tool. Your fabrication and planning look pretty good.
And you have solved the "how do I release them if I want to replace the springs" problem. No hoist or press needed here. 
With those bearings and a little puller lube on the threads, it should work easily, too.

Personally, I'd like to see this example somehow stick around here for others to see. 
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 9:06am
AMC pre-'70 strut type front suspension coil spring compressor

-excellent job, well done, congratulations

----------------------------------------------------

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence:

Note: the 'Mustang people' will pay big bucks to put McPherson strut front suspension on their early Mustangs: http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts/mump-1008-gateway-performance-suspension-macpherson-strut-front-suspension/

(and big bucks to convert their rear suspension, to make it more like a Rambler Classic/Marlin: https://totalcostinvolved.com/products/1964-5-1970-mustang-torque-arm/ )

---------------------------------------------------

The (Nash engineering) idea was/is to place the upper spring mounting points as high as possible in the unibody chassis, which by relation 'lowers' the car's center of gravity -so the car's center of gravity has less leverage to compress the springs, which promotes better handling and reduced need for heavy sway bars... quick sketch to help convey idea:

-Bear in mind '69 AMC AMX was given "Best Engineered Car of the Year" award by SAE (1969 & 1970 with the car having both types of front suspension) ...not Mustang, not Camaro...

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Bigbrusky View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbrusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 12:47pm
That's really good stuff right there. I love the art work.
Bigbrusky View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbrusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 12:50pm
I'm going to be doing the same to my 64 Rambler Classic let me know when I can come up and borrow that thing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 12:45am
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

The (Nash engineering) idea was/is to place the upper spring mounting points as high as possible in the unibody chassis, which by relation 'lowers' the car's center of gravity -so the car's center of gravity has less leverage to compress the springs, which promotes better handling and reduced need for heavy sway bars... quick sketch to help convey idea:

THIS. you're the only one i recall mentioning this rather subtle (apparently) design feature -- the spring over the knuckle up front, looking at the dynamic geometry of the chassis in roll -- the spring doesn't lose (as much) it's "leverage" over the shifting weight. a GM-style spring in the lower arm does, badly; a GM system, as the car rolls longitudinally in a turn, the effective fulcrum point shifts, giving the mass MORE advantage over the spring. its as if the spring "weakens" as it's compressed, a sort of negative-progression.

(the DOWNSIDE of the AMC design is that it limits styling -- the system is very tall, and in the 60's lowering of whatever that style line is above the beltline, AMC was at a disadvantage. but technically it's great.

a very large amount of the understeer in AMC leaf spring cars is int he REAR. the springs are very far inboard (especially in the pre-64 Americans), the longitudinal angle (front mounts more inboard than rear mounts) and the height diff  conspire to make a LOT understeer -- not only do the spring "fulcrum" knuckle under -- like GM fronts -- the geometry causes each rear wheel to shift fore (outside wheel) and aft (inside wheel) very slightly, i think like 3/16", in a turn making the rear of the car.

(the torque tube cars dont do this!)

i installed a rigid wishbone and airsprings and panhard in the rear of my american, with the springs under the "frame rail" sitting on pads on the axle tube -- as physically far out towards the wheel as possible. it vastly reduced understeer, alone.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic