TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

proper oil for bw overdrive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac VP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2018 at 9:01pm
We rebuild the Borg Warner overdrive transmissions (ie 1949-1966 types....mostly Ford based). The original specifications called for GL-1 gear oil. Over the years the refiners have made improvements in the product and it has evolved from GL2 to GL5 (which is the current spec). Some brands have included their additive package that is okay with the yellow metals (brass, bronze, copper etc) in the GL5 spec. However, unless the packaging clearly states that it’s okay with yellow metals, we recommend staying with GL4 gear oil. We stock the Sta-Lube brand in the GL4 oil. The weight is 90W. Also, I don’t recommend any synthetic gear oils......although they are great gear oils, they also tend to find every crack and crevice and you’ll end up with puddles under the transmission.
Mr_AMC View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 1:12pm
So..  Then which is best lube  in the BW overdrive Unit??   As this is the first BW overdrive I have owned..  My 75 Hornet has the Laycock one....
Thanks...
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 6:21am
Same as manual transmissions -- GL4. The 75W90 stuff is fine. As noted, GL-5 is fine as long as it states it is safe for "yellow" metals (specifically bras and bronze).
Frank Swygert
Mr_AMC View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 1:32pm
Thank you Frank..
I put in the Penzoil syncromesh fluid, as I put in the Transmission. I will have to look at the GL rating, as I don't remember..  I have a funny sound, and it SOUNDS like a twin grip rear end, which you forgot to put in the friction modifier, but I took the dif cover off, and it is an open differential.  on a jack, everything sounds quiet when I spin the wheels or the driveshaft.   Guessing I have an overdrive noise, or a differential issue..
Thanks for the help..

Jeff

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 7:58am
I would suspect the outer axle bearings. Probably only make a little noise with weight on them. They are the first to go out since they carry the weight of the car. I've never had a car with worn out differential bearings that wasn't abused in some way, like run low in oil.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic