TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

proper heater valve 73 Jav?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: proper heater valve 73 Jav?
    Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 7:24pm
My 73 has no heater core (at least its tubes are missing) and NO heater valve at all. The whole thing has been bypassed, etc.
I have a core that is supposedly for that year Javelin/AMX I picked up in Kenosha, but can't find any listing for a heater valve for this car. 

Rockauto does't show a valve (in fact their parts selection for our cars is fading faster than a PC interior in the Iowa sun through clear glass) and even the other parts vendors I've looked at don't list a valve at all.

What should it be like, any part numbers, etc.? Is this an AMC vendor only thing?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 8:28pm
Billd, i had a 73 Javelin... it had a diaphragm that had a 1/8" vacuum line connected from the firewall. The unit was 90 degree having the diaphragm on its side (vertical). Not sure but Ford may have a similar type heater valve.

I can search online and post in the morning. Haven't seen a factory one since my car, but it seems aftermarket ones and 74 versions are a wee diff in appearance.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 8:33pm
71-72 were different, is that not correct? The changed to vacuum in 73?

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 9:00pm
Bill,
I think this is what you need...unfortunately, sold earlier today!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-AMC-HEATER-CONTROL-VALVE-JAVELIN-HORNET-GREMLIN-NOS/202270486566?hash=item2f1842b026:g:YsYAAOSwfEVatpe7

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 9:01pm
Bill,

This should be what you are looking for. I think there are some on Ebay right now but they look shelf worn. I question how much life is left in the diaphragm if they are NOS.

The other way to go is to use an inline valve. You can get them new in plastic or "brass".

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 9:06pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 9:36pm
Looks like they used a Ford Valve:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-AMC-FORD-MERCURY-LINCOLN-1965-77-HEATER-CONTROL-VALVE-/231947204325
Likely if you look under one of the Ford models listed Rock Auto will have it.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Bill,
I think this is what you need...unfortunately, sold earlier today!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-AMC-HEATER-CONTROL-VALVE-JAVELIN-HORNET-GREMLIN-NOS/202270486566?hash=item2f1842b026:g:YsYAAOSwfEVatpe7

OK now I'm confused -even more. The listings on eBay are all for "inline" valves, yet replies here show those that thread into the intake in the same way the 70 valves did (except these are vacuum and the 70 was cable)

So is it supposed to be inline like shown on eBay, or screw into the intake?  Confused
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Bill,

This should be what you are looking for. I think there are some on Ebay right now but they look shelf worn. I question how much life is left in the diaphragm if they are NOS.

NOS in this case isn't critical, and yeah I'd wonder about a diaphragm - but I do want the proper valve IF at all possible. 
Besides, if I get a silver one and it's supposed to be yellow, I know someone who can fix that little problem.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

OK now I'm confused -even more. The listings on eBay are all for "inline" valves, yet replies here show those that thread into the intake in the same way the 70 valves did (except these are vacuum and the 70 was cable)

So is it supposed to be inline like shown on eBay, or screw into the intake?  Confused
I'll double check the parts book when I get back to the shop on Tuesday but working from memory the inline was originally for the I6 engine and the "screw in" style was originally for the V8. As the "screw in" style got more rare some people switched over to the inline style on the V8.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic