TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

propane heater modification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2010 at 9:25pm
hmmmm ??? i guess i could undo what i did and do that instead. the only reason i did the switch on the igniter is i would think after a while it would burn out. but then when i was looking in the front of it while it was fired up (from a distance of course !) the igniter is right in the middle of the flame and glowing cherry red ! !  so now i'm thinking that can't be much better for it ! ! I don't know. maybe i will be a copy cat and extend the cord and put a switch in it 
68 SS/AMX clone
79 CJ7 Golden Eagle 304/turbo400
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2010 at 6:38am
My L.B.White LP "long" heater is rigged FACTORY with a single switch. The switch turns on the fan and ignitor at the same time for a good reason. If gas builds up when that ignitor hits...........
I've noticed the fan will run without the flame, but it won't flame if the fan isn't running.  HMmmmmm

(It's sort of like those kerosene salamander heaters, but is LP gas and I've got it hanging on an iron bracket I have hanging from the rafters in the garage, well below any wood, etc. but off the floor.)

It also has an inline thermostat. You plug the heater into the thermostat, then the stat into the wall. When it hits the right temp I set on the dial, it basically kills electric to the unit which shuts off the gas and fan.
When it kicks back in, the FAN starts first, then the thing ignites.
I suspect there's a reason they kick on the fan first.
Modify it? I guess even though I tear into nearly everything I've ever owned, this is one device I've never taken a screwdriver to............

Edited by billd - Jan/14/2010 at 6:39am
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2010 at 8:14am
Originally posted by xtm10 xtm10 wrote:

but then when i was looking in the front of it while it was fired up (from a distance of course !) the igniter is right in the middle of the flame and glowing cherry red ! !  

That's not the ignitor -- that's the thermocouple.  When it gets hot (it is heated by the flame, not internally), it generates a small electrical current that latches the gas valve open (sort of like a relay...).  That's why you have to hold the vavle in for the first few seconds before it will stay on by itself. If the heater flames out, the thermocouple will cool, and the gass valve will automatically shut off.  Same basic system as a gas water heater, etc.

The ignitor part is a small electrode that sticks out behind the thermocouple and shoots an electrical spark across the gap to ignite the gas.

Edited by whizkidder - Jan/14/2010 at 8:15am
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2010 at 8:59am
 LP gas salamander/torpedo heaters of the variety you are modifying are not intended to be used with an in-line thermostat. You have to start and stop them manually. If you need or want thermostat control  go buy a kerosene model. Sounds to me like you are courting disaster.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2010 at 9:58am
Mine came WITH the stat, and it's an L.B. White brand stat, and was in the catalog shown for my heater. I bought the setup from the dealer (wife of a friend worked there and I got a discount, too)
I can plug it in direct to a cord and not run the stat but mine is totally safe and being used as intended.
The switch that's on the heater is inline with the power and operates the fan and ignitor as I outlined - so does the stat. Power off, heater shuts down instantly. Or, turn stat down to full left, kills power and shuts it off. I have to turn the switch on on the heater for it to run, regardless of the thermostat setting, but shutting the stat off does the same thing - like two switches in series.

And yes, that "stick" in the middle of the flame that glows orange - that's the thermocouple and ensures there's a flame! If that doesn't sense heat really quick, it shuts off the gas. IT's a safety device. IF those go bad, it won't keep running, you'll get it started and it will shut right down.

Edited by billd - Jan/14/2010 at 9:59am
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2010 at 11:22am
Lb Whites are built to a higher level of quality than the forced air salamanders being sold at most of the big box stores. If you have to hold the gas valve/button in to get it to light it's not real sophisticated. These units are either on or off. http://www.lutzrental.com/manuals/SPC-85.pdf
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2010 at 1:29pm
Or you can buy the thermostat that is "inline in a cord".........................I used one and it worked well enough...................my heater is a kerosene 65K BTU torpedo heater..........................Ive never ran kerosene in it....................only diesel fuel.............Its cheaper.  I have an LP one but it wont work......................where could I look to see why?  I think the valve in it shuts off. and wont open........(Safety feature,) but way too safe now since it doesnt work at all and never has. (Its still brand new and I dont remember why I didnt get it fixed)

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Jan/14/2010 at 1:32pm
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2010 at 5:02pm
Ok, i am undoing my "not such a good idea" propane heater modification this weekend, and i am ordering a KT-121 inline thermostat for it and i will be leaving it alone ! ! thanks for all the input. Sorry but there won't be a BOOM or any film at 11 from my house ! !
68 SS/AMX clone
79 CJ7 Golden Eagle 304/turbo400
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic