TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Project "Beaver" 77 Matador Coupe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project "Beaver" 77 Matador Coupe
    Posted: Aug/28/2014 at 8:34am
Picked up a 77 matador Coupe this past weekend which I decided to name "The Beaver" for the sheer size, body style and color...seems fitting.

This is going to be a driver so it will remain a 304 2 bbl car to keep gas down. Car has 62k miles, interior is not awful but the seams in parts of the seats are coming apart as the vinyl is dried out in spots from sun exposure. Underneath structurally it's a solid car but does have a slight case or body herpes but most of these areas can be patched with std sheet metal as it does not have many complex body lines.

Car will remain the factory Golden Ginger Irid but alot of the chrome / stainless will be omitted as will the huge eyesore bumpers. I'm thinking black X stripes with the black treatment to the hood (Inside the body line). Along with std steel wheels body color with trim rings and dog dish center caps.

Don't want (Or need) this to turn into a full blown resto just a basic everyday driver. I'll be posting some pics as I move forward. 

Last pic keeps rotating by default.... :-(

Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2014 at 9:01am
Very cool!!! I'm glad to see someone else working on these old Mat Coupes. Looks like a solid project!

I'm just wanting to keep my 75 Cassini a driver also and as stock as possible. 

The Beaver! LOL
1974 Matador Coupe Brougham aka "The Mat"
1975 Matador Coupe Oleg Cassini Edition
1969 Javelin SST (Project Car) - SOLD but not forgotten
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 1:07pm
Have been making progress!  It made a successful trip around the block this past weekend and ran great.

Did the std tune up crap...plugs, wires, coil, alternator, voltage regulator, cap, rotor, carb rebuild, master cylinder and got it running nicely. Did I mention I LOVE rock auto?

Cost me around 250.00 for everything shipped to my door.

After doing the master I found the booster to be bad and replaced that also...so now it runs and stops Smile

I can now start on the bodywork and will begin to post progress pics

While waiting for mechanical parts to arrive I cleaned up the instrument cluster...looks like someone tried to clean it with a brillo pad..after wet sanding and buffing I got it to look pretty good!

Added new sneakers and some Javelin hubcaps to clean it up a bit.

Dave Goodwin

0069X View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0069X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 1:50pm
Dave it looks like it's going to be a nice project.
If you check out this thread:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/0069x-vintage-pics_topic39375_page2.html

About 10 pages in there are several photos of my old 74 Matador X that was copper with a "white" stripe.
Your color looks very similar.
Just a suggestion, the body panels on the Matador coupe's body allow for much larger than standard size tires, and IMO it looks better when it has the wheel wells filled.
Another suggestion would be air shocks. I ordered them from the factory on mine because the Matador's body design looks a little "heavy" in the rear, especially if the back end is lower than the front. (Which most were). Giving the car a slight rake towards the front gives it the NASCAR look.
My 74 came in so late in production, it had the 1975 "X" stripe on it which was a little narrower than the 74 style. I always kid of liked the thinner stripe better myself.
I'll be watching your thread anxiously awaiting to see how it comes out.
I still miss my old Matador.
Good Luck

Edited by 0069X - Oct/22/2014 at 1:56pm
dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 1:57pm
I guess you got your charging issue figured out? Looking good! 
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by 0069X 0069X wrote:

Dave it looks like it's going to be a nice project.
If you check out this thread:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/0069x-vintage-pics_topic39375_page2.html

About 10 pages in there are several photos of my old 74 Matador X that was copper with a "white" stripe.
Your color looks very similar.
Just a suggestion, the body panels on the Matador coupe's body allow for much larger than standard size tires, and IMO it looks better when it has the wheel wells filled.
Another suggestion would be air shocks. I ordered them from the factory on mine because the Matador's body design looks a little "heavy" in the rear, especially if the back end is lower than the front. (Which most were). Giving the car a slight rake towards the front gives it the NASCAR look.
My 74 came in so late in production, it had the 1975 "X" stripe on it which was a little narrower than the 74 style. I always kid of liked the thinner stripe better myself.
I'll be watching your thread anxiously awaiting to see how it comes out.
I still miss my old Matador.
Good Luck

Yes big wheel wells and larger tires need to fill it in..I bought elcheapos for now with hubcaps just to work the car out and make sure all is good before I go buying bigger rims and tires. This will be done in the factory Gold and the black X stripe with all emblems removed so nobody will know what it is...except for us AMC guys.

Will check out your post!
Dave Goodwin

dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by dane dane wrote:

Just swapped alt and regulator..they were cheap enough and it's now charging as normal. Found those odd unused wires in the engine compartment were from an old alarm..removed all that junk and the factory harness looks 100% unmolested and clean. 
Dave Goodwin

dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by dkrtgood dkrtgood wrote:

Originally posted by dane dane wrote:

Just swapped alt and regulator..they were cheap enough and it's now charging as normal. Found those odd unused wires in the engine compartment were from an old alarm..removed all that junk and the factory harness looks 100% unmolested and clean. 

good deal!
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 6:15am
Congrats Dave,
   Looks like its in Great shape! Nice find.

Jerry
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 9:48am
That's a great find! If I were to stumble upon a Matador coupe like yours I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy it too!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic