Print Page | Close Window

Mandatory oil system mods

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made V8 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98258
Printed Date: Apr/18/2024 at 5:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mandatory oil system mods
Posted By: Amc wannabe
Subject: Mandatory oil system mods
Date Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 5:32pm
i am rebuilding a late 360 to be a performance daily driver. I plan on dabbling in autocross/drag/maybe even road course as well. So I will not be babying it or rarely driving it. With that being the case I have a few questions about the piling system.
1. I have read the lifter valley line may/may not be important. For those who say it isn’t, why not?
2. External oil filter pickup line/road race setups(think milodon) since I expect pushing Gs in several directions, would this be of great importance compared to other mods or only extra insurance?
3. I read somewhere that an issue might be keeping oil in the pan(sounded like drainback issues) if anyone knows about that, please enlighten me.
4. Any other oiling info or suggestions? I would like to have this thing ready and right the first time. 

Thanks in advance.

Replies:
Posted By: mmaher94087
Date Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 5:59pm
My opinion: I believe the #1 oiling mod is to weld two 3/4" flat washers, 180 degrees apart to the bottom edge of the oil pan pickup.  This prevents the pump from sucking up the pan bottom and stopping the oil flow from the pan to the pump.  No washers; use flat bar stock; both are readily available at your hardware store.  If your oil pickup has a hole in the top of it; weld that up as well.  If your pickup has the nylon spacer plug on the screen side; pull it off and throw it out as it will deteriorate and get sucked into the pump.

-------------
Mike

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 6:10pm
Agreed on the above reply, it is a simple mod that can save you in the long run.

Depending on rebuild for hiperf use, 1 quart more than full on the dipstick marker.

FL1-A filter conversion. $9.00 part from Mopar dealer service counter and plug your oil bypass to use the Ford filter built in bypass.you get a fresh bypass with every oil filter change, as the old built in bypasses can stick from years of use, and have been known for the lack of reliability.

Double check bearing clearances, cam timing gear oil reliefs, distributor gear clearances, and cam bearing bore for clean groove to feed the front.

Not much for mods, but they resolve big issues or troubles if overlooked and ignored.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Posted By: BassBoat
Date Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 9:41pm
If your budget can stand the $500 hit for a Canton Street/Road Race oil pan and specific pickup for their pan, I highly recommend it.  

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 11:38pm
on drain back issues I cleaned up and opened up all my drain hole in the heads and in the lifter valley very simple with a carbide rotary file make sure you have proper timing sprockets and alignment of cam gear and extra oil capacity

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Posted By: FSJunkie
Date Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 11:51pm
I worked in a shop that built more AMC performance engines than any other and they've never had an engine fail.

1. Proper bearing clearances.
2. Proper oil pump clearances.
3. More than 5 quarts but less than 6 quarts of oil inside the engine.
4. Forget the oil line mods.
5. Use restricted pushrods and polish the return path if you feel drain-back is inadequate.

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Jan/25/2019 at 12:08am
I was going to bring up the subject of restricted flow pushrods, certainly worth considering. How hard you want to push it on a road course is probably going to be the biggest factor, sustained high RPM use is what will suck the oil pan dry.
I think running down the drag strip in your average street/strip car requires little more than making sure that the factory oil system is working as intended and running an extra quart of oil. Maybe if you are heading into sub 11 second 1/4 mile territory, then you will start having to take this stuff a little more seriously.
Autocross, I'd say pretty much as above with the addition of a high capacity road race type oil pan.  

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Posted By: Amc wannabe
Date Posted: Jan/25/2019 at 4:59am
thanks guys, great info. This is looking like it will save me a load of money as well. Those milodon external setups alone are near a grand complete. Could I get clarification on what makes that lifter valley oil line unnecessary? We’re people putting too small of lifters in and the oil was bleeding down before it got to the rear?

Posted By: Rebel Machine
Date Posted: Jan/25/2019 at 6:50am
To reduce/eliminate the aeration of the oil at high rpms I modify a Mopar 340 windage tray for use in the AMC V-8. Also use the Canton drag/road race eight quart pan.

-Steve-

Posted By: 1982AMCConcord
Date Posted: Jan/25/2019 at 6:51am
Lots of great advice so far.. looking forward to learning more.

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Jan/25/2019 at 7:32am
Interesting use of the Mopar windage tray, I actually have one of them in my small block Mopar powered BMW that is a dedicated track day car. Other oiling mods on that one are a high volume oil pump and a baffled truck oil pan that holds a bit more oil, so far so good (touch wood) and had been on the track for quite a few years now.

I don't think you will ever get a consensus answer on the valley oil line mod, my view is that there is only so much oil to go around in a pressurized system with controlled leakage (i.e. bearing clearances), so adding an extra pipe to the same location isn't going to deliver any more oil and possibly introduce addition points where you can have a failure. You will of course get other opinions on the subject.

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Posted By: Steve_P
Date Posted: Jan/25/2019 at 2:52pm
Use an Aviaid, or that style, road race pan. This is the most important item you can possibly do- if you do this you can pretty much forget all the other tips and tricks else less proper assy clearances, quality parts... which you must do anyway.

Doing any type of autocross or even light road racing with a stock pan is begging for a spun bearing.

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 6:47am
the oil line in the valley is a fix for the starvation of oil to the crank and rods in that area if your not looking into sustained high rpm use its really not necessary 

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Posted By: amx007
Date Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 8:08am
Is that fix for all 3 engines 290 343 390 , the valley oiler ?

-------------
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Posted By: jcisworthy
Date Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 8:31am
The only thing I can really see the valley oil line doing, is possibly supplying less aerated oil to the rear of the engine under "spirited driving" or racing conditions.

That is of course, if the oil moving from the beginning to the end of the lifter gallery actually gets aerated as it passes by the lifters, or aerated enough to make a difference. 

The oil line would not stop aerated oil to the rear of the engine, but it would introduce non, or less aerated oil into the mix. Now, the rest of the mains and rods would still see more aerated oil if that is indeed happening. 

There is a large enough hole in the factory oil gallery to support a lot of oil flow around the lifters. That is why I have my doubts concerning the addition of the oil line having any real benefits. As a fix for starvation, I would not think the line would have any real benefits because I do not think starvation is an AMC issue if the oil in the pan does not go below the pickup. 

The oil factory gallery is narrowed substantially when lifter bushings are installed so that is a case where it probably would be warranted. 

-------------
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203

Posted By: Boris Badanov
Date Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 10:28am
The oil system in an AMC v8 is pretty adequate when
everything is in top shape.

I agree with eliminating the plastic button in the oil pick up.
welding or riveting in a spacer is preferred.
I have seen a few engines destroyed by that plastic
button dislodging cutting off all oil pressure.

Eliminating the umbrella valve seals is a BIG improvement.
This is another engine killer when they break up and clog the returns.

Opening and or polishing the returns in the heads
seems like a good idea, but be warned, you can
weaken the head bolt boss that is in CLOSE proximity
to the passage.

More oil in the pan using a Milodon or other pans is a good idea.

More oil alone just makes for excessive oil airation.

AMC copied one of the worst oil systems ever in a American V8
The Buick... but with the above minor improvements they will be
as reliable as any.

leave ther internal bypass and external drains to the racers.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Posted By: Ken_Parkman
Date Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 10:30am
X2. I plumbed oil pressure gauges on both sides of the galley on an engine without the added line for dyno testing. I could measure no significant difference in oil pressure through 7000 rpm. At least on that engine there was absolutely no need. The only reason I can come up with is to maintain oil supply (not pressure) to the rear of the crank if you have valvetrain failure and pitch a lifter. That's a possible reason, but pretty feeble hope.

I did have a Ford 460 that broke a rocker and pitched a lifter. It probably drove 20 miles at highway speed with no oil pressure (would have had flow) and did not blow up. Sort of amazed at that one.

It may be a different story on a bushed lifter engine.

I think that mod came from a real race application where due to other mods it was a good thing. Not applicable to a stockist engine.

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 9:43pm
I believe John is on the right track for the valley line and spirited driving. But the issue would be aerated oil releasing air in the gallery and forming air pockets. These could move, when formed, to the channel of most flow in the engine when formed.
In an AMC V8, from failures experienced, the rear.
As pressure drops flow increases in a hydraulic system. The line therefor would not increase either pressure or flow unless a new leak path is introduced as Ken pointed out.
It must either provide an alternate path for aerated oil to break into smaller air pockets or displace air pockets at the rear of the gallery. Air would then travel up into the lifters and cause little if any short term problems.

Agree, it is not needed for an average street engine.

There are other proven oil aeration solutions at the bottom of the engine that performance people are using.

Posted By: 73hornut
Date Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 10:48pm
The only known "madatory" oil system mods, all involve the use of aftermarket timing sets, and needing to mod them just to make them work properly and supply oil to the distributor gears.

-------------
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796

Posted By: JolleyGreenSST
Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 1:19am
Originally posted by 73hornut 73hornut wrote:

The only known "madatory" oil system mods, all involve the use of aftermarket timing sets, and needing to mod them just to make them work properly and supply oil to the distributor gears.
I just bought a Comp Cams (part# 3118) double roller timing chain for my 401 build... do I need to modify something for it to work properly?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-Cams-Timing-Chain-Gear-Set-Hi-Tech-Double-Roller-Steel-Sprockets-AMC-V8-Set/332795972368?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-Cams-Timing-Chain-Gear-Set-Hi-Tech-Double-Roller-Steel-Sprockets-AMC-V8-Set/332795972368?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

-------------
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"

Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 7:24am
The oiling passage in all the aftermarket cams and timing gears needs to be checked. The front cam journal supplies a path for oil going to the distributor drive gear. Many times the timing gear has that groove in the wrong place or the groove extends beyond the diameter of the cam's front journal.

This is a comparison of an aftermarket cam gear (left) and an original AMC gear (right). You can see the aftermarket gear groove extends well beyond the distance of the original gear.

The arrow shows the timing gear groove extending past the cam journal diameter causing a loss in flow going forward to the distributor drive gear.

I've welded and machined the timing gear to fix that.

Posted By: scotty54
Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 8:39am
This is the first I have heard of the extra quart. Any issues with the depth of the stock pan and frothing? Do the compacts have a different pan that may preclude the extra quart?

I have always done the oiling mods originally recommended by Performance American Style and never had a bearing fail. But it appears that those who don't do the mods haven't had a fail either.

Great info in this thread!

Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 9:07am
The extra quart was a thought up patch early on as people thought the problem with the AMC motor was too much oil being pumped to the top of the cylinder heads and that caused the oil pick-up to catch air.
Modern thinking and track proven is oil aeration being the big problem, oil frothing in the crankcase and picking up air. The extra quart would actually aerate the oil more as the crankshaft spins through the excess oil.
This air/oil mix would then be pumped through the engine and not lubricate near as well as straight oil. Air separation in the top of the engine can cause even more problems if not achieved in the valley or rockers.
An extra quart oil pan reduces aeration of the oil and also provides for "spirited" driving as oil is pushed front to back or side to side.
The stock pan with stock oil level is good for every day driving. 

Posted By: PHAT69AMX
Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 1:04pm
Previous thread with Oiling info and Diagrams:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/oil-path-amc-distributor-gear-oiling_topic95506_page1.html?KW=oiling" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/oil-path-amc-distributor-gear-oiling_topic95506_page1.html?KW=oiling

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Posted By: bobsterfl
Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 2:03pm
Lots of good advice in all these posts.

I am old enough to remember AMC being involved in the Trans Am racing series, and have read numerous articles over the years describing blown-up engines due to oiling problems. Of course, these cars were revving high and experiencing really high g-forces in hard cornering.  The final ultimate fix was to change over to a dry sump, belt driven external pump with a large external oil tank, very similar to what NASCAR uses today. That would be overkill for most of us. 

-------------
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight

Posted By: Boris Badanov
Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 2:14pm
The crank is in the oil at start up and an extra quart exaggerates the issue.

Oil return is marginal in an AMC because of small return openings in the heads
and the collection of oil in hard acceleration in the lifter gallery area.

Stock umbrella seals broke up and the debris blocked the returns and cause
general mayhem in the oil system.

Yes, I have seen a number of AMC V8s that had oil pressure
only until the oil was all pumped to the valve covers.

Sludge and umbrella seal debris slowed the return.
Wait a few minutes and re-start and oil pressure was back.
For a few seconds.....

The plastic button on the oil pick-up had a similar effect.
The button becomes dislodged and the pick up goes flat
against the bottom of the pan.

AMC V8 is a great motor when all is well, any motor fails with no lubricant.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 6:36am
I don't have the supporting documentation any more, and can't remember where I even got it, but the AMC Gen2/3 V-8 was designed for six quarts from the start. Six quarts are specified for police and heavy duty fleet use (taxis and such) -- and they use the SAME OIL PAN STAMPING. The police pan has a rudimentary baffle to keep oil from being sloshed to the front in hard stops, that's the only difference (don't know if the HD/Fleet pan is the same as police or just a standard pan). Marketing cried that a six quart oil change would make AMC engines more costly to maintain than the competition, so it was tested and found that five quarts was sufficient for normal driving, so the owners manuals state five quarts -- same as everybody else in that era.

The valley line was introduced by drag racers to help with oil starvation under hard acceleration to the rear main and rod bearings. Basically it just supplies extra volume by having another path. I think it is an aerated oil issue -- the oil gets sloshed hard enough to the rear of the pan and a lot of oil is quickly sucked up out of the pan, allowing a little air to be sucked in at the pickup. The twin paths increase the amount of oil, and should reduce aeration. I don't think it's necessary except on those really quick drag cars -- not your usual weekend bracket racer. You have to be pushing the engine near it's limits to make extreme mods like that, and I mean really built up to near max possible output. Building a 10 second or less 1/4 mile car? You might need it.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: Rebel327
Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 6:59am
I believe someone posted pic of the 6th quart in pan.  Considering the extra volumn and the additional minimal depth of oil as it is spread about the surface area...aeration is not an issue.  The extra volumn creates no harm but instead provides several benefits.  Wish I could remember who posted pic.  I think he has built over 100 AMC V-8's..

Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 12:52pm
I have made all my oil pans 6 Quarts since 2012 but have not built 100's of engines.
I remove the standard pan baffle, hammer and dolly the back of the pan to an outy and not an inny and re-install the standard baffle.

Next pan to do:

Posted By: Red Devil
Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 1:11pm
Deja-vu ... check a few posts down for more discussion on pans & capacity.
http://theamcforum.com/forum/amc-v8-police-oil-pan-variant_topic97910_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/amc-v8-police-oil-pan-variant_topic97910_page1.html

Quotes from that thread posted by Steve P, an actual Engineer who worked at AMC:

Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

There is nothing about the design plan was for 6 quarts of oil in the AMC SAE papers- that's an urban legend that I think goes back to the CACI newsletter days.

The bearing clearances are wrong in the quote by LM. .0015 is way too tight for the rear main. The bearing clearances were also loosened up by AMC from the 68-70 "tight" spec, which was ~.001-.002 to a more clearance sometime around 72- which coincidentally is when AMC was selling a substantial amount police cars. The new clearance specs are what most use now, ~.002" and ~.003 on the rear main.

I have ran a pan dry at 4500-5000 RPM sustained driving and spun a #8 rod bearing. And I know others that also have. If you haven't, consider yourself lucky. With an 8+ quart pan, no more issues.

Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

There is a mention in the SAE papers for the 390 that they made a modification to the oil pan sump cover plate when the 390 was introduced- IIRC they added the drain slots on the side at that point.   

Yes, there is no issue with the AMC oil pump gear size- more than big enough, compare to a SBC. Years back someone was selling even taller gears, looking for a solution to a non-existent problem.

The problem is insufficient drain back from the heads/valve covers and has been discussed a million times. The simple solution is a bigger capacity pan.

X2 his post in this thread to fit an Aviaid pan or similar.  I've got an Armando pan on my 401 (very similar to the Aviaid as Armando used to work for them).
http://aroilpans.com/Roadrace.html" rel="nofollow - http://aroilpans.com/Roadrace.html
http://aroilpans.com/images/AMC_2.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://aroilpans.com/images/AMC_2.jpg

Hope this helps,RD

Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

The oiling passage in all the aftermarket cams and timing gears needs to be checked. The front cam journal supplies a path for oil going to the distributor drive gear. Many times the timing gear has that groove in the wrong place or the groove extends beyond the diameter of the cam's front journal.

This is a comparison of an aftermarket cam gear (left) and an original AMC gear (right). You can see the aftermarket gear groove extends well beyond the distance of the original gear.

The arrow shows the timing gear groove extending past the cam journal diameter causing a loss in flow going forward to the distributor drive gear.

I've welded and machined the timing gear to fix that.
Thanks for the reply Rebel Machine!
I just checked my new summit camshaft and comp cams timing gear, it seems to be covered enough that I shouldn't have any problems. but hear are some pics to get your opinion...

https://flic.kr/p/2etdsoP" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/2etdsoP" rel="nofollow - AMC cam and timing gear passage clearances. by https://www.flickr.com/photos/163232977@N08/" rel="nofollow - David Cruz , on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/Sk7cyJ" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/Sk7cyJ" rel="nofollow - AMC cam and timing gear passage clearances. by https://www.flickr.com/photos/163232977@N08/" rel="nofollow - David Cruz , on Flickr

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 6:19pm
Make sure the slot also lines up with the oil hole in the cam.

-------------
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796

Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by JolleyGreenSST JolleyGreenSST wrote:

Thanks for the reply Rebel Machine!
I just checked my new summit camshaft and comp cams timing gear, it seems to be covered enough that I shouldn't have any problems. but hear are some pics to get your opinion...

https://flic.kr/p/2etdsoP" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/2etdsoP" rel="nofollow - AMC cam and timing gear passage clearances. by https://www.flickr.com/photos/163232977@N08/" rel="nofollow - David Cruz , on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/Sk7cyJ" rel="nofollow"> https://flic.kr/p/Sk7cyJ" rel="nofollow - AMC cam and timing gear passage clearances. by https://www.flickr.com/photos/163232977@N08/" rel="nofollow - David Cruz , on Flickr

You can use a roll pin in the front cam journal oil feed and make sure it lines up with the cam gear feed. Obviously remove the roll pin before you actually install it.

-Steve-

Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 7:03pm
Thanks Steve. And yes I lined up the slot with the oil hole or whatever it is called. @73hornut

David. 

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 8:11pm
Previous thread with Cam Snout Stack Oiling Drawing and info:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/oil-path-amc-distributor-gear-oiling_topic95506_page1.html?KW=oiling" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/oil-path-amc-distributor-gear-oiling_topic95506_page1.html?KW=oiling

revised 09-04-19 - "opinions" added, drain-back. Lifter Orifice
revised 08-28-19 - add above link
revised 02-07-19
revised 02-17-19
revised 04-21-19
revised 07-30-19
Just a middle aged hobbyist Hot Rodder guy.
Had a '69 AMX from 1985 to 2014.
Paid shop to do 1st motor rebuild.
Self-assembled the next three.
Web active since about 1995.
Not my ideas, those of many others.
Collected many little "Oil" things that can be done.
Mandatory?  Doubtful.  Helpful?  Maybe.
In no way an endorsement, just a compilation.
Quite a bit here really once all typed up.
Sure there are more, will edit / add as needed.
Kinda 2 categories:
- Do things to what is already there
- Add, change, replace things

AMC V8 Oil System Checks and Modifications

Debated for Decades:
Extra Lifter Valley Oil Line, considered "Preference"
- Alternative, ? same but different ?, a 180 degree
  piece of steel line plumbed between the (2) 3/8 pipe Plugs
  in the Lifter Oil Galleys on the back side of the Block.
  Requires a small block rib clearance notch for steel tube.

Obvious:
_ AMC Oil Pump has -NO PROBLEM- with Volume (Pump Gear Length)
  * Must Keep SUMP FULL *, "Pan", so Drainback...
- Cam, Crank, & Rod Bearing Clearances to AMC SPEC
- Pick-Up to Pan Clearance to Spec
- Oil Pick-Up Head to Pan Stock PLASTIC Spacer,
  Secure in place or Replace with 1/4" Bolt or equivalent

Oil Pump:
- Aug 2019 - has been reported MISSING "Vent" HOLE(s) in Pump Cover Gaskets
- Deburr New Pump Gears and SHAFT SLOT to prevent
  any damage to shaft hole in Timing Cover
- Temporary Assemble New Oil Pump Gear and Actual
  Distributor that will be used for Final Assembly
  w/o Drive Gear to Confirm NO BINDING between
  Pump Gear Shaft Slot & Distributor Shaft Drive Blade
- "Parkman Mod" ? at bottom of Pump Gear Pocket for "anti-surge"
- enlarge / port match Round Outlet Hole in pump cavity pocket
- use late angled cover rather than early 90 cover
- block off filter bypass, or new cover with out
- change threaded filter Adapter for one that fits larger later filter
- inspect Pressure Relief Plunger Passage for finish and size
- soften / blend oil passage intersection corners where possible
- ? there is a Mod that moves Bypass Plunger Bleed Oil passage or something
- ? "Do" the AMC V8 Oil Pump Pressure Relief Bypass Plunger Circuit Vent Modification, see pictures further down in this thread... 
- ? Fabricate an Adjustable Spring Tension Oil Pressure ByPass Plunger Cavity "Cap"

OIL PAN:
- ? Run approx 1 extra Quart, more than 5, less than 6
- ? Aftermarket larger Aviad oil pan, but significant cost
- ? Crank Scraper / Windage Tray

Block:
- port match Block Front Ports to Gasket / Timing Cover
- confirm / clean drilled passage from pump up to top center oil galley
- blend / soften internal oil galley intersection corners where possible
- 3/8 Pipe Plug - SHALLOW, Pass Side Front of Block
- confirm full drill through Main Saddles up to Lifter Galley
- inspect oil pan rail suction passage
- Pick-Up, confirm no galley obstruction once screwed into pan rail
- ? add ~1/8 oil drain holes in lifter valley, or others ?
- ? Chamfer / Blend 2 Front Oil Drain Holes ?
- ? Restrictor ? Font of Drivers Side Lifter Oil Galley Passage
  Behind external visible Driver's Side 3/8 Pipe Plug,
  Tap Block & Install 2nd Pipe Plug with small drilled Hole
- ? Added external Oil Line & Fittings, back of Block, connecting
    the two Lifter Oil Galley passages that are Plugged Stock
- ? "Drastic" somehow Drill DRIVER SIDE Lifter Oil Galley
     to Oil CAM BEARINGS from that side and install
     Cam Bearings with Oil Hole on the Drivers Side.
     Then MAINS are Passenger Side Oiled and Cam from Drivers.
- ? "Drastic" BEHIND the Block Front Drivers Side 3/8 Pipe Plug
     for the Lifter Galley, Tap the INTERNAL Lifter Galley Hole
     for a Pipe Plug drilled with a "small hole" ? size ?
     to restrict Oil Flow to the Drivers Side Lifters and
     "increase" Passenger Side Lifter, Cam, and Main Oiling

- Rear Main Bearing
  ? Brg Clearance Different than other Main Bearings
  ? Rear Main Seal Knurled Surface ?
  ? Sealant Longways along Outer Brg Cap to Block Axial Corners
- ? 401 AMC Cranks ONLY ?
  ? #4 Main Main Brg to #5-6 Rod Brg
  ? OIL PASSAGE *Clocked Location* "incorrect"
  Different Clocked Location than ALL OTHER AMC Cranks...
- "Drastic": External Oil Pump Suction Line required:
   Added Internal Oil Line from stock Pick-Up Hole ( now an Oil Feed )
   to drill and tapped hole in top of #4 Main Bearing Cap
   Ref: Above 401 Crank Main #4 Oil Passage Drill Location

Drainback:
OPINION - ONE OF, IF NOT "THE", MOST SIGNIFICANT AREA OF ATTENTION.
- deburr / blend lifter valley drain back corners
- inspect / blend / ? enlarge ? cylinder head drain back holes
- ? Drill additional Drain HOLES in Block Lifter Valley
  ? Hole Size, Location, and Quantity varies
- ? Modify bottom of Timing Cover at Front Bearing Cap "gap" area
- ? Traco Mod, ~1/4" Holes drilled through in Cyl Heads between Pushrod Holes
    *DRAIN OIL* Pumped Up On Top of HEADS
- "Drastic", Tapped holes in ends of Heads above level of valve train "floor"
  but below Valve Cover Gasket Surface & Install/Run
  2 or more AN Oil Drainback Lines/Hoses to Oil Pan
  "Effectively" Drain "Excess" Oil from Top of HEADS to Oil Pan 

Heads:
OPINION - LIFTER OIL PASSED VOLUME MUST BE "BALANCED" WITH MEAGER DRAIN-BACK PASSAGES.
- No umbrella seals, machine valve guides for Perfect Circle Valve Stem Seals
  Obviously, ensure removal of all disintegrated Umbrella Seal
  pieces from all areas of engine and parts

Cam:
- Correct Cam Bearing Installation Oil Hole Size & Location
- confirm front snout stack-up oil passages
- Cam Sprocket, ? Front Face Slinger Grooves, size and quantity ?
- Full Groove front most bearing and/or journal
- bleed hole rear most bearing journal
- Rear Freeze Plug installed depth

Lifters:
OPINION - LIFTER INTERNAL OIL METERING DISC RESTRICTOR ORIFICE SIZE IS "CRITICAL" TO PREVENT EXCESSIVE OIL BEING PUMPED UP TO THE HEADS WHICH HAVE MEAGER DRAIN-BACK PASSAGES, CAN FILL WITH OIL AT RPM, AND STARVE THE OIL PAN PICK-UP CAUSING IT TO SUCK AIR. Just what the "correct" Metering Disc Orifice Size is, is yet to be determined.
- ? Correct FIT Lifter to Bore, .904 Lifter OD and Lifter Bore ID
  Lifter OD = .9040"-.9045", Tappet Bore Clearance = .0010"-.0025"
  1975 AMC TSM Lifter & Bore Specs 
- ? Lifter internal design, oil volume passed
  * LIMIT OIL Pumped Up on Top of Heads...
- ? Restrictor Push Rods

Rods:
- ? Bearing Oil Squirter Notch at Rod / Cap Joint

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Posted By: Jmerican
Date Posted: Jan/29/2019 at 12:25pm
yes, this guy. ^

Posted By: wheelz
Date Posted: Jan/31/2019 at 6:26pm
Volume is a larger factor in AMC V8s than pressure. My mods are always to increase and smooth the size of the housing and adapter passages and run external filter lines and a deep Pan to increase volume of the system overall with of course careful attention to crank bearing and adapter clearances but I do no internal oil line mods. . The only real mod I do is to have a small line from the sending unit port to the timing cover to lube the dizzy gear for insurance.My most recent build yielded 65 psi at cold start. On the street I change the relief spring to one I cut a couple coils off and have 50 psi to take some pressure off the gears. I do run restricted smith bros pushrods and edm lifters on a mechanical cam as well. Still have too much oil in the heads but that's not a bad thing with $400 comp cam ultra magnum rockers

Date Posted: Feb/07/2019 at 4:47pm
I have also used this to adjust oil pressure if there is too much after a new build before starting

ADJ OIL PRESSURE REGULATOR

Date Posted: Feb/07/2019 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by wheelz wheelz wrote:

I have also used this to adjust oil pressure if there is too much after a new build before starting

Anyone sell this in a kit form?

-------------
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB

Posted By: 69 ambassador 390
Date Posted: Feb/07/2019 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

The extra quart was a thought up patch early on as people thought the problem with the AMC motor was too much oil being pumped to the top of the cylinder heads and that caused the oil pick-up to catch air.
Modern thinking and track proven is oil aeration being the big problem, oil frothing in the crankcase and picking up air. The extra quart would actually aerate the oil more as the crankshaft spins through the excess oil.
This air/oil mix would then be pumped through the engine and not lubricate near as well as straight oil. Air separation in the top of the engine can cause even more problems if not achieved in the valley or rockers.
An extra quart oil pan reduces aeration of the oil and also provides for "spirited" driving as oil is pushed front to back or side to side.

Um, Not!    The extra quart is still below the baffle in the stock pan.  The oil level is far below the baffle in a running engine and at no time is the crankshaft spinning in the sump oil.  A full quart or more is trapped in each cylinder head and another in the lifter galley during higher speeds.  This leaves only two in the pan.  I have run many engines on my start stand and sometimes use slotted valve covers during valve adjustments on running engines.  The oil level during 2000 rpm cam break in is usually an inch or so in the heads and much more at higher speeds.  I have NEVER witnessed any foamed oil in the heads of a running engine.  But this is with just limited AMC experience.  I've only built about a hundred!

-------------
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 2:20am
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

Um, Not!    The extra quart is still below the baffle in the stock pan.  The oil level is far below the baffle in a running engine and at no time is the crankshaft spinning in the sump oil.  A full quart or more is trapped in each cylinder head and another in the lifter galley during higher speeds.  This leaves only two in the pan.  I have run many engines on my start stand and sometimes use slotted valve covers during valve adjustments on running engines.  The oil level during 2000 rpm cam break in is usually an inch or so in the heads and much more at higher speeds.  I have NEVER witnessed any foamed oil in the heads of a running engine.  But this is with just limited AMC experience.  I've only built about a hundred!

Sounds right to me and I trust hands on experience over theory any day. So my question is would you think its better to run a higher capacity pan or is it fine to just run six quarts of oil in the stock pan?

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 6:05am

T/A performance. Its a Buick part and the bolt is a different size so I transfer the adjuster to an AMC bolt by drilling the same size hole and using an AMC spring

Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 6:11am
Trader has a few things correct -- aeration/frothing of the oil is bad, the extra quart allows more "spirited" driving, and the stock pan with stock oil level is good for everyday driving.

69 ambassador 390 has the reasons the extra quart works correct, and is also correct that even on startup with all oil drained in the pan six quarts won't contact the crank, at least with the car near level. I suppose it might if on much of an incline, but even then only for a second or two until the pump sucks it up into the engine -- by the time the engine fires it's sucked up half the oil.

For regular racing a high capacity pan may make sense. For the occasional trip down the strip or autocrossing the extra quart has proven to be more than adequate. I'd only invest in a high capacity pan with a "floating" pickup only on a high dollar race engine (or any high dollar build). Well, $5K is "high dollar" to me, but what I mean is those $10K+ engine builds. $5K gets you what, a mild but well built engine -- at least if you have a good shop build it. Plenty people on here could build a healthy street/strip engine for $5K or less. Really depends on what you start with and just how "healthy" you want it. And how good/licky at parts scrounging you are. I think I could build one (assuming I started with an engine in decent condition) with all new parts for $5K easy enough.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 7:59am

T/A performance. Its a Buick part and the bolt is a different size so I transfer the adjuster to an AMC bolt by drilling the same size hole and using an AMC spring
Is there a link to the parts used? Thanks

-------------
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB

Posted By: Red Devil
Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 8:49am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

69 ambassador 390 has the reasons the extra quart works correct, and is also correct that even on startup with all oil drained in the pan six quarts won't contact the crank, at least with the car near level. I suppose it might if on much of an incline, but even then only for a second or two until the pump sucks it up into the engine -- by the time the engine fires it's sucked up half the oil.

... if the engine has sucked up half the oil shortly after it's fired, not surprising we have never ending oiling issue threads :)

Also, remember that the engine is angled down approx. 3 degrees in the chassis, so when doing the "extra quart" test, make sure the pan is at a 3 degree down angle to simulate start up.  Then if half the oil is sucked out of the pan shortly after start up, lower the level by half then angle the pan 30 - 45 degrees forward, rearward and side-to-side to simulate braking / acceleration / cornering oil levels (45 degrees being 1-g load) ... and check if the pickup is generously submerged in oil under all conditions. 

Then consider your application and whether the stock pan with 5 quarts or 6 quarts is enough. 

Hope this helps, RD.

Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 9:11am
Just a little light reading:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0270/899b3d94e43389f53d451e4fb00cfe32e5c4.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0270/899b3d94e43389f53d451e4fb00cfe32e5c4.pdf
I find figure 1-5 and connecting rod lubrication interesting as it seems to me a plausible cause for #6 failures and typical AMC failures towards the rear due to "bubbles forming and blocking oil flow.

Posted By: Shawn_Watson
Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 9:25am
You're definitely going to have aeration issues if the "fix" for poor drainback is more oil, at least in my opinion.

Shawn

Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 10:00am
Typically on most engines, 1 to 2 quarts of oil are in motion above the oil pan. Adding one quart would likely be fine if on an AMC this still keeps the crankshaft from aggressively aerating the oil.
As RD pointed out the aggressive driving is another matter.

On deceleration the "police pan", you would think, without the "standard pan" baffle, move so much oil to the front of the engine that you would aerated heavily but also expose the oil pickup to air.

I'm not convinced the "police pan" is a desirable thing to have.

Just reading on the g forces, a stock 1970 Go Pack AMC by the numbers (time/distance) would pull 0.4g on acceleration and with disk brakes was best in class and pull 0.6g braking.

Not bad for a 1970 vehicle, as a BMW M3 today is best in class pulling 1g (32 ft/s-sq) braking.   

Posted By: Sonic Silver
Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 10:58am

Typically on most engines, 1 to 2 quarts of oil are in motion above the oil pan. Adding one quart would likely be fine if on an AMC this still keeps the crankshaft from aggressively aerating the oil.
As RD pointed out the aggressive driving is another matter.

On deceleration the "police pan", you would think, without the "standard pan" baffle, move so much oil to the front of the engine that you would aerated heavily but also expose the oil pickup to air.

I'm not convinced the "police pan" is a desirable thing to have.  
I have had one on my AMX for 25 years with zero problems.

Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 12:00pm
Adding a remote oil filter will also add capacity to the system. I like to run the Bulltear adapter and braided lines to the filter adapter. Along with my 8 qt Milodon I have almost 10 quarts but I only put in 9 so I have 7 in the pan

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 12:08pm

Here's the link you were asking about

http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA%5F1502" rel="nofollow - http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA%5F1502

looks like they cost about $20

I was wondering, cause T/A Performance sells oil pump gears for Buicks, if the Buick gears are a bit larger than AMC gears, and if so, could the oil pump housing on an AMC timing cover be bored to fit these larger gears, thus making all those used housing with grooves in the oil pump bores, much more re-useable?

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Date Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Here's the link you were asking about

http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA%5F1502" rel="nofollow - http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA%5F1502

looks like they cost about $20

I was wondering, cause T/A Performance sells oil pump gears for Buicks, if the Buick gears are a bit larger than AMC gears, and if so, could the oil pump housing on an AMC timing cover be bored to fit these larger gears, thus making all those used housing with grooves in the oil pump bores, much more re-useable?
The problem would probably be the center to center dimensions for the gears? I would guess that larger diameter gears would dictate farther spacing?

-------------
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB

Date Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 6:25pm
AMC Oil Pump Gears are already Longer and deliver more Volume than Buick Oil Pump Gears.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 12:17pm
Yeah, I was kinda excited at first, but of course larger gear diameter means different shaft spacing, should thought of that myself. Too much wishful thinking....

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 1:29pm
Revised long AMC Oil System "info" List on Page 4

-------------

Posted By: ChillyB
Date Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 2:49pm
Regarding filter bypass, and after a fair amount of reading on this forum and others, I've concluded there is no reason to retain the factory bypass in the filter housing.  But now I'm down to two options:

1. Run 100% filtration.  Not sure I'm there yet.  Yes, the housing bypass was eliminated with late engines because it was unreliable.  But did they concurrently switch to a filter with integral bypass?  If so how did the filter's integral bypass pressure compare to the one eliminated from the housing?  Maybe the same.  Lots of modern filter have an integral bypass that opens at single-digit psid.  Hardly any modern filters open at pressures less than 20 psid.  But this is differential pressure, not absolute pressure.  So if your gauge reads 60 psi you may still only have 5 psid across the filter bypass valve (so still closed).

2. Eliminate the housing bypass, use a modern filter with integral bypass.  Which filter should I choose?  What bypass psid is best?  Unless I'm using a high volume pump (I'm not), or starting with a filter that is restrictive when new (I hope not) then I dont think it matters much.  If your filter differential pressure increases significantly then your bearings already lost the battle.  Effectively maintaining oil flow while collecting all of the bearing bronze and lead probably isnt a winning strategy.  The important thing (my opinion) is that you KNOW your bypass hasnt been blocked open by chunk of rogue RTV for the last three oil changes.  Unless your engine is shedding massive bits of itself a little bypassing here and there wont hurt anything.

3. Here's what I think I'll actually do.  Block the bypass in the housing.  For initial break-in, and for a series of rapid succession filter changes (like four in the first day) I'll run filters with NO internal bypass so I provide maximum flow of 100% filtered oil because my engine WILL be shedding bits of break-in debris.  After that I'll switch to a high quality filter with internal bypass.Perhaps I'll compare my measured pressure at the gage for each style of filter so see if it seems like my filter is bypassing at high RPMs. 

Date Posted: Mar/13/2019 at 10:52am
No longer having anything myself to build I'm unsure just what I'd do.
But after reading a Smokey Yunik article in a 1980 Hot Rod Magazine
I'd probably look into a remote oil filter mounting with 2 filters
to reduce oil flow restriction / back pressure through the filter(s).
An I'm unclear on what Filter the "new" late model Mopar Filter Fitting fits...
The "new" double threaded piece that the filter screws to.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/13/2019 at 2:23pm
The Mopar adapter fits the Motorcraft FL-1A filter and others as well, anything that matches to the FL-1A.

-------------

Posted By: Jmerican
Date Posted: Mar/13/2019 at 2:46pm
there ya go. Ford filter. Built in bypass. Big capacity. I like the Royal Purple. Good media, thick can. Purple. Can’t help that. 

Date Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 4:43am
Sure you can... just a little spray paint...

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 6:22am
Someone at AMO was making AMC decals on there home printer to make stick on sleeves for their oil filters.
Nice touch!

Date Posted: Apr/21/2019 at 8:52pm
I don't see this one in the thread, and have forgotten about it until I was at one today.

AMC V8's used several different oil pan pick ups. The one on the left is good as it is 0.050" heavier tube, better concave internal screen, no hole on top, but the extension if not removed actually goes into the block oil passage and cuts off 1/8" or more of the pickup passage.
This is 1970 and 1971 as far as I can determine.

The round piece you see is 1/4" brass rod that I have brazed to the bottom and removed the nylon button.

Date Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 2:14am
Not intentionally double posting... but thought it belonged or should be in both places / threads...

Well look what I stumbled upon on the Holley / MSD / all else they now own Web Site...
in their Troubleshooting Techniques area... "Modifying AMC oiling for performance"
hmm.., any of you all seen this already ?

https://www.holley.com/support/troubleshooting_techniques/#AMCModify" rel="nofollow - https://www.holley.com/support/troubleshooting_techniques/#AMCModify

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/30/2019 at 12:06am
Thought I would add this.  These are NOT my pictures or my modification, and I fail to remember where I saved these from, so I am unable to give credit where credit is do, or otherwise.  No endorsement, just something I have saved from somewhere from who knows how long ago about making a Modification to the AMC V8 Oil Pump Pressure Relief Bypass Plunger Circuit Vent...

edit - Forum Member Red Devil authored the below Pictures and Oil Pressure Relief Vent Modification.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 4:15pm
Relevant historical info about the AMC V8 and OILING or the Oil System performance
from the 1969 Car Craft Magazine 4-part Article 'AM Si, Junkee No!' about where Car Craft
and Vic Edelbrock built their own 'clone' 1969 Hurst Super Stock AMX 390 car, motor and all.

"One other problem we had noticed was a lack of oil to the rocker arms.
An examination of the solid lifters showed a flutter valve underneath the lifter
button that meters oil through a small .050 hole.  From here the oil travels
through an .080 hole in the button to the tubular pushrods, and feeds the
rocker arms.  We removed the flutter valve from the lifter, hoping this would
allow additional oil to the topside, only to find out that this wasn't the hot set up either."

"caption 3 - Oiling problems with the lifters was one of the puzzles that Vic
Edelbrock ( left ) and Bobby Meeks had to solve during testing."

"With everything set back together, the engine was re-fired, and during the
next few minutes Vic, Bobby, Murray, and myself kept watchful eyes on the many
dyno gauges, especially the one measuring oil pressure.  With all systems
green, Vic preset the Heenan & Froode dyno at 4000 rpm, and pulled the throttle
wide open.  The power started to come on strong when suddenly the oil pressure
took another nose dive.  Vic cut the throttle, and we all looked at each other
totally dismayed.  A thorough checkout showed everything in working order, so
we tried another power run.  Same results.  After five or six seconds of full
power the oil pressure would go away.  As soon as the power was shut down the
second time, I pulled the dipstick to check the oil supply.  My suspicions were
confirmed, as the stick was bone dry.  ( ! An 8-Quart Aviaid Oil Pan ! )
Our lifter modification was working too well.  We were pumping oil topside faster
than what it could drain back into the pan.  After a few seconds at full power,
the sump would drain itself to the point where the pick up would suck air, and
whammy - no oil pressure.  Oh well, back to the drawing boards !  This time we
tried a happy medium ( median ) to determine the amount of oil needed topside. 
The flutter valve was replaced in the lifters, but the .050 metering hole was
enlarged to .063 which solved the problem."

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net