Print Page | Close Window

fuel hose no longer boring

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made I-6 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98041
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 6:41am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: fuel hose no longer boring
Posted By: tomj
Subject: fuel hose no longer boring
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 1:37pm
interesting and not in a good way. this isn't new, but i just got bit (again) by not paying attention/shopping by price... this is a reminder to myself too!

i just threw a new 25 ft roll of Dayco 5/16" fuel hose in the trash. in under two weeks it has got soft, and is slightly swelling. bought it from Summit. i logged back in to complain, but it states clearly in the product description "not for alcohol...". however in the questions area someone asked about that and multiple people said it is OK for alcohol... well people are wrong (me too). so i gotta eat my mistake.

this is common "good" hose. it's useless today, the 1970's is <------ that away. gasoline is too complicated today, there's weird stuff in it (no complaints, it burns amazingly clean, tried to read plugs lately?) but it eats even so-called good hose. there's no point in griping about change, today's gasoline is amazing, it just eats hose when it's the wrong type.

this is the wrong type:

http://www.daycoproducts.com/dayco%C2%AE-fuel-line-hose" rel="nofollow - http://www.daycoproducts.com/dayco%C2%AE-fuel-line-hose

the thing is, there's plenty of good choices Gates "Barricade" is available at O'Reillys, $2.69/foot. so-called "fuel injection" hose is *often* not always good.

the point is you gotta check. i dont know why anyone's even selling hose that can't be used with gasoline today. it seems unethical to me.

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Replies:
Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

...............the point is you gotta check. i dont know why anyone's even selling hose that can't be used with gasoline today. it seems unethical to me.

Couldn't agree with more.....a lot said for "read the fine print" 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Jan/09/2019 at 4:58pm
And even the finer print as things have changed so quickly. There was a time, not log ago, that they had fuel hose ethanol rated but the finer print was only to 15%.
Needless to say if you get a fill up and the "mixing" pumps are not working correctly, you burn through fuel like mad and your fuel lines rot in one fill-up.
It was an expensive fill-up!

Date Posted: Jan/09/2019 at 10:15pm
yeah, it makes sense of course that the chemistry would get as much, or more, attention that the metal has. for 99% of the world driving what ($MANUFACTURER) installed and goes to the dealer for service, none of this is of any concern. it's only us foo's messing about that need worry.

do you mean specifically Dayco had the 15% limit? that's really odd, you'd think (...) it would be alcohol resistant, or not... but in my readings i ran into one of those car-pro-tech websites that talked specs and numbers on 'permeation', which means it's not 0 or 100, but an "acceptable" amount of permeation...

one seemingly reputable site said it assumed about 1.5 gallons/year of fuel loss through permeable hose. as crazy as that sounds at first, given how soft the NEW! Dayco hose was in my car after only two weeks. i'm sure it was porous and evaporating to the air. THAT never occurred to me...

so i wonder, what's the permeation rate for good hose? it sort of implies it's not zero...

-------------

Posted By: FSJunkie
Date Posted: Jan/10/2019 at 12:04am
The standard sold by the foot fuel/vapor hose at auto parts stores is made by Gates and rated for gasoline, gasohol, and Diesel. "Fuel rated" is a misnomer. It's just reinforced Nitrile rubber hose. Most hoses are Nitrile, whether they are meant for fuel or not. I have found that gasoline softens it. That's not really a problem so long as you keep it wet with fuel. Allow it to dry out and it becomes harder than it was new. It starts to crack after 5-8 years.

I've started using what NAPA calls Barricade hose, also made by Gates. Some of it is carburetion rated and some is fuel injection rated. The only real difference is the pressure rating. Barricade hose has a special barrier layer that prevents fuel permeation of the rubber. It should last longer.

Silicone hose is always an option. Silicone hose doesn't say it is fuel rated, but I have proven that it is. My Hornet has it's original 42 year old silicone vacuum hoses and they are just as strong and pliable as they were new. I've had a 3/4" silicone heater hose as a gas thank filler vent hose on my Wagoneer for close to 10 years and it's just as soft and pliable as when it was new, even on the inside.It's a silicone heater hose! And it's outlasted the Nitrile "fuel/vapor rated" hoses!

I don't like removing my fuel tanks every 5-8 years to replace hoses, so I fork over $$$ for good hose.

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Date Posted: Jan/10/2019 at 11:28pm
it's funny, that after my brief bout with this, and the subsequent (brief) research, when all was said and done, i got 24" of the stuf at Pep Boys -- overpriced at $4.49/foot, but it is as you say, the good stuff. it's not hard to puzzle out the reason they sell only the good stuff in those little kiosk things.

it was dumb of me to buy cheap hose. i don't generally do that. all my coolign system hose is silicone from PegasusAutoRacing.com, along with the nicer hose clamps. not cheap! but one look at it and you'll get why -- it's all sharp clean quality stuff. 

it never occurred to me that silicone cooling hose would be good for gasoline. Pegasus says to keep it away from oil, so i assumed it was bad for gas too. i bought real gasoline hose (a buck an inch) from fillernecksupply.com for the old Rambler filler. (just this month i installed a Tanks Inc steel baffled fuel cell -- OMFG is its good quality. it fills from the trunk right now. i'll build remote fill next.)

-------------

Posted By: Burnished Brown
Date Posted: Jan/11/2019 at 12:06am
I guess that I can be the hose expert for the forum.  Been selling automotive and industrial hose for 50 years now.

In a typical year, we sell well over 100,000 ft of SAE J30R7 Fuel Line Hose and have never had an issue like is being described here.  I also use it in all of my muscle cars.  Some now restored for over 15 years.

It is possible that you received a poorly compounded or improperly cured Dayco hose.  It's not the brand I sell but the hose is manufactured to SAE specification for compounds, wall thickness and burst pressure.  A defective production run is a  possibility

Fuel Injection Hose is for higher pressure applications.  The compound is most likely identical.  You're just paying a lot more money for something you don't need.

The Gates Barricade Fuel Line Hose is designed for sale in California.  It is the same hose as the SAE J30R7 but has a liner embedded in the wall to prevent hydrocarbon molecules from permeating in to the atmosphere.  Again, paying more for something you don't need.

SAE J30R7 Fuel Line Hose was designed to handle today's gasoline.  It replaced the old SAE J30R1 many years ago.

I suggest giving the SAE J30R7 another try.  Another brand will give you a different product for the same application.  That Dayco run you purchased from appears to be a defective production run.

Silicone is NOT recommended for use with gasoline or oil.  Silicone has very poor tensile strength.  Petroleum products (gasoline and oil) will further break down the tensile making the Silicone susceptible to disintegration. 

Purchase another brand of SAE J30R7.  We sell Continental brand - again with no issues.  Cut a small piece and place it in a jar of the gasoline you are using and see what happens after a few hours.  Check the tube swell and hardness against a new piece not placed in the jar.  The cover will swell more than the tube because the cover is compounded for more heat resistance than the tube.  

-------------
Terry

1971 Burnished Brown Javelin/AMX
1971 Mustard Yellow Javelin/AMX
1970 Bayshore Blue AMX
1970 Bittersweet Orange Rebel Machine
1969 Beale Street Blue Javelin SST

Date Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 7:38am
The hose that failed on me was SAE 30R6.
Correct me if wrong, but don't modern vehicles use mostly nylon tube?

Posted By: First_Gear
Date Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 7:41pm
I have wondered about this with the piece of hose that runs between the fuel filler neck and the tank. I am not sure what it is made out of or if it will handle the ethanol. It is a specially molded hose for the 65-66 big cars. I can't remember where I got it.. Galvins maybe. I've yet to install it.

Date Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 8:19pm
SAE 30R6 is a lesser specification grade version of the 30R7.  The big difference is the quality of the cover.  The 30R6 cover is not as temperature and oil resistant when compared to the 30R7.  The tube should be just fine.

SAE 30R6 will perform well on gasoline engine equipment installations.  It may not perform well in automotive under- hood applications.  If you are experiencing failure, it is most likely the cover.  

Use SAE 30R7 for automotive under hood applications.

All of the old SAE J30R1 and 30R2 fuel line hoses must be removed from our now 40-50 year old vehicles.
Those hoses will fail - guaranteed with today's gasoline.  Don't forget the short piece that goes between the gas tank and the steel front-to-rear gas line.

-------------
Terry

1970 Bayshore Blue AMX

Date Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 8:30pm
Be careful when you purchase any hose for gasoline use.  It could be possible that it was manufactured using the older rubber compounds.  NOS is probably NOT good.

I can not comment on what the AMC vendors are selling today.  I just don't know.

-------------
Terry

1970 Bayshore Blue AMX

Date Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 11:09pm
i bought the host from Summitracing.com in nov 2018. i overlooked, at that time, that Summit clearly marked it as "not suitable for alcohol...", that the markigns on the hose whatever they are, when i looked them up, pertained to pressure and other ratings, and not for permeability.

i'm quite happy with California CARB regulations on permeability. i know everone loves to hate CA, but i personally remembe being made ill by Los Angeles smog in the 1970's, just getting off a plane. its not like that any more. whatever this costs, it's fine. YMMV.

though i did just get burned by a Prop 65 ("carcinogen") regulatory problem -- it's quite hilarious, slightly OT here -- RockAuto has 12" windshield wipers for my car, but i cannot purchase them, as rockauto doesn't have Prop65 data on them (likely made 1,000,000 years ago so of course not).

i find it hard to believe that the Dayco hose was a "bad batch", especially enhanced by the explicit 'no alcohol' statement.

yeah, i don't need "FI" hose at all. but FI hose applications seem to encompass the other features (fuel resistance, permeability) that i wanted.

also, i only needed two feet of it!

-------------

Posted By: AMXRWB
Date Posted: Jan/13/2019 at 8:11am
I have had problems with gas hose cracks.Cracks at the carb from the inside out or turns hard.Takes about a year.I put extra length on and cut the end off to expose soft hose.When the hose gets short I put another new one on.

Posted By: maximus7001
Date Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 2:00am
When I first got my Eagle in 2010 I replaced all the rubber fuel hoses on the car. For the non return hoses  I used dayco that came in a pre cut piece rolled up and shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard. Thats all they sell for fuel hose at that parts place and it was a weekend.
It was all junk and every piece I put on failed in less than a year with e10 gas. Since then I only use good year branded made in USA new stock fuel hose cut from a roll. Not an issue yet.

-------------
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.

Date Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 8:58pm
OK it's "winter" here, car's been apart doing upgrades for the coming season of (mountain, desert, tour) driving, and i found more bad hose (tank to rear fuel pump, and tank vent). finally got around to swapping it out for good hose, and took some demonstrative pics of the crap hose.

this is serious business -- i'm not making up some fuss-budget thing to worry about. the new, recently purchased hose from Summit Racing and commonly available everywhere is NOT SUITABLE FOR MODERN GASOLINE. it swells and LEAKS.

** this past fall i installed a new fuel tank ("fuel cell" from Tanks Inc) and new hose in back and up front. hose came from Summit (the 25 ft roll i bought). in Dec 2018 the hose was noticeably swollen, and very soft, as mentioned above.

** a couple weeks ago i pulled the inspection covers for the tank fuel pickup and found weird yellow oily stuff on the top of the tank, and the hose swollen there, of course. the oily stuff LEACHED THROUGH THE HOSE, it's probably hose rubber components solvented out, deposited on the tank steel. i neglected to take pics, i wasn't fully clued in to what was going on, i figured it was something that splashed up from driving.

i replaced those hoses with "fuel injection" hose. of course i don't need the PSI rating of "fuel injection" hose. it just happens to also be resistant to alcohol!

see pics below. note that this hose came off a tank of a car that hasn't been driven for 6 weeks. the gas had mostly drained back but it was at least filled with fumes.

to illustrate how swollen it is, i used this short length of 5/16" steel tube. there's a black mark about 3/16" in. i pushed each sample hose (good and bad) to that mark.

here's a piece of that 5/16" fuel hose that has never seen service. NEW hose. pushed onto the tube up to the mark and the tube held horizontal, the hose is tight on the tube.

the same test, hose that has been in service for about 3 months. it's so swollen and loose that it is about to fall off.

this is the unused hose, squeezed between thumb and finger moderately hard.

this is the used hose, squeezed the same amount (as much as subjectively possible). this stuff is soft and mushy!! it's not ambiguous at all.

-------------

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 12:59pm
Thanks Tom.   I'll mention your findings in an upcoming issue of our local Rambler Club newsletter.  Good to know.  Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Posted By: wheelz
Date Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 5:45pm
aeroquip sstartlite nomex braided hose is all I use. With or without fittings

Date Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 9:23pm
you're welcome joe. i hopeit's useful. for the record this is the soft hose:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dac-80060/overview/" rel="nofollow - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dac-80060/overview/

It's Dayco 80060, 5/16" fuel hose. i could have known better if i'd read the fine print on the item page: "Not intended for fuel injected vehicles. Not suitable for gasoline/oil mixed fuels, alcohol blended fuels, or bio-diesel fuel."

All CA fuel, at least, has alcohol and additives. those are hardly rare outside of CA (i just don't know).

-------------

Posted By: maximus7001
Date Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 9:35pm
It does not help who do not know that the Q&A on that summit page says it can work with alcohol when it clearly cannot. I almost lost my Eagle to fire because of this within 1 year of putting the hose on.

-------------
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.

Date Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

It does not help who do not know that the Q&A on that summit page says it can work with alcohol when it clearly cannot. I almost lost my Eagle to fire because of this within 1 year of putting the hose on.

YES! i just now, AGAIN, for the SECOND TIME, rebutted those assertions, and backed it up with specs from the freakin' manufacturer. it's not like some preference thing, the hose actually leaks fuel out the black rubber!

i'm so sorry you had a fire from this. i've written Summit and pointed out that even though the disclaimer is there, it's all too easy to mis-use this hose, at best. and very likely, there is NOWHERE IN THE US that you can be guarenteed that fuel won't have alcohol etc in it.

i assume that this is another one of these "old car" parts issues -- i dont know how you'd find out, but carbureted cars are probably under 1% of the national fleet of cars on the road. no one's gonna reformulate carb fuel hose since it's a shrinking market.

i don't think Summit or anyone should even sell this stuff in 2019.

-------------

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 11:42am
Does anyone know if Gates 5/16ths hose spec. 4219XL PCV/EEC (SAE 30R7) uses the same rubber specification as the Dayco hose above?   The Gates hose is available at my local O'Reilly's and was used on a couple of cars by club members last summer.   The hose is rated for 50 psi but specifically states that it is not for fuel injection cars.   Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Posted By: 73Gremlin401
Date Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 2:26pm
Thanks for the information Tomj,
I just looked at the underhood fuel hoses that I replaced on my Concord last summer, and they are all spongy and swollen. Ordered a couple rolls of 1/4 and 5/16 barricade line, as I've got 3 cars that are all in the same situation as the Concord. I dropped the tank on the Concord and replaced those last summer too - looks like I'm gonna be dropping the tank again - but at least now I know I'll be doing it with the right stuff.

-------------
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Date Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 3:17pm
The Dayco listed is the same as the Gates SAE 30R7.

Nylon tubing is rated as excellent resistance to Ethanol.
The higher the concentration of Ethanol, the poorer most any polymer hose is going to be.

Even the Gates SAE 30R9 specification states:
  • Tube resists heat, sour gas and fuel (leaded, unleaded and alcohol based petrol, diesel, biodiesel)
Resistant, not impervious.

Date Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 8:46pm
joe, if you have hose now in-service, and a week/month? later it's not noticably soft, it's probably OK.

30R7 rating is gasoline-only as far as i can tell; not alcohol resistant. i found this page http://www.underhoodservice.com/correct-fuel-hose-installation/" rel="nofollow - http://www.underhoodservice.com/correct-fuel-hose-installation/ that has a bit of explanation.

i think that, loosely, the common 30R7 hose is "old car" hose, and "fuel injection" is modern hose. i'm using "fuel injection" hose that has one of the low-permeability hoses. i don't know how stores ethically sell, in 2019, hose that almost immediately fails in service. it is very easy to see how this stuff could leak past under-tightened hose clamps. the short section i had from my new Tanks Inc tank to the fuel filter/pump produced about a tablespoon of an oily residue on the top of the tank. 

i need so little hose that i just bought the "fuel injection" hose from Pep Boys. nearly $5/foot! i think my 4 psi pump will be safe with 80 psi hose.

it's dismaying to have to exert so much effort over hose. it's easy to fix -- get good hose -- but i'm kinda pissed off we're offered fuel hose that literally is unsafe in the state it's sold in.

-------------

Posted By: ChillyB
Date Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 5:55am
On this topic, that gray "marine grade" glossy hose it also total crap.  It has a clear membrane liner that turns to crunchy amber shards, after it delaminates and starves your engine.  Happened every time I tried new lines on my outboard.  Now I use automotive hose and replace every season. 

Date Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 11:17pm
well that sounds like just a lot of fun. O_o

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net