Print Page | Close Window

Muffler recommendation

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made V8 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97993
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 6:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Muffler recommendation
Posted By: Ambassador66
Subject: Muffler recommendation
Date Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 5:10pm
I ran a can of the aerosol Sea Foam through the carb today. After the hot soak it fired up and there was a nasty bang followed by my Ambassador sounding like a track ready AMX. Not a totally horrible thing but not what I want. 

I rolled forward to find two solid hand fulls of rust and metal shards. I took a look under the car and found a nice 6" x 6" hole in my muffler.

Any recommendations on where to find a replacement? Recommended brands? Without pulling it off inlet and outlet size?

66 Ambassador 990 / 327 2 bbl.

Replies:
Posted By: amx007
Date Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 5:37pm
I just put some thrush on , they sound just right

-------------
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by amx007 amx007 wrote:

I just put some thrush on , they sound just right

The welded or the hush? Not sure I'm a fan of the turbo.

Posted By: tufcj
Date Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 7:31pm
This is almost like an oil thread.  Everyone has their favorite.  I have 2 Magnaflows (2.5") on my AMX.  Nice rumble out the back, but quiet enough that I can hear the radio going down the highway.  They don't drone either.

Bob
tufcj

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford

Posted By: ADAM12MATADOR
Date Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 7:38pm
I have Flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers on my cop car. Just the right tone for me.

Date Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 7:39pm
welded as it’s all part of new exhaust  system but no crosover kinda wishing I did on my 290 auto car

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by ADAM12MATADOR ADAM12MATADOR wrote:

I have Flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers on my cop car. Just the right tone for me.

Where do I see pictures of the cop car?

Posted By: bob401
Date Posted: Jan/07/2019 at 9:04pm
2 Flowmaster 40 series Mufflers dumped before the rear axle. Loud enough to get the attention of the car next to you when you start it. pretty much an intolerable drone at 3500 RPM.. needs a 400 watt stereo playing about 80 or 90 decibels to overcome the Drone. It's not race car loud though. That is definitely a different type of loud...

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Jan/07/2019 at 9:19pm
If you don't have callipers, measure the circumference of the pipe with a dress makers tape and divide by pi (3.14) to get the diameter. Go stainless for the mufflers if you want durability, but make sure the insides are stainless as well and not just the fancy case. For a stock daily, chambered will be fine and keep it quiet, turbo mufflers if you want a little bit of rumble.

Otherwise get a couple of these and some 3" pipe to match for the full race car effect:

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Posted By: FSJunkie
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 1:54am
Find a catalog of Walker Quiet Flow SS mufflers, or Walker turbo mufflers. Pick out the largest one by case volume that will fit under the car and install it. Then install a second full size muffler or resonator somewhere else in the pipe.

So it sounds like a high quality luxury automobile. Meaning it makes no sound at all.

I like cruising down the highway at 80 MPH in silent, smooth comfort while I listen to Vivaldi's four seasons on the stereo, played from my phone. If you listen carefully, the violins in la Primavera sound like birds chirping in the trees. Can't hear that with glass packs.

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 7:23am
Ha ha, if I wanted to ride in silence, I would just buy an electric car.

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 8:46am
I would listen to highway star the rumble goes well with it

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Posted By: Doug in New Freedom
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 9:04am
I put THRUSH Mufflers on my '68 AMX with a 343, and my '69 C10 Pickup with the 350V8 they are affordable, cost wise. The Idle Rumble is a beautiful note and when rolling I don't hear them much unless I floor it. 

-------------
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 9:23am
I go down to NAPA and ask for a stock replacement. 

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Posted By: The Anti Chrysler
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 2:14pm
I'd go to an exhaust shop and ask them to install a new muffler.

Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

If you don't have callipers, measure the circumference of the pipe with a dress makers tape and divide by pi (3.14) to get the diameter. Go stainless for the mufflers if you want durability, but make sure the insides are stainless as well and not just the fancy case. For a stock daily, chambered will be fine and keep it quiet, turbo mufflers if you want a little bit of rumble.

Otherwise get a couple of these and some 3" pipe to match for the full race car effect:

Thanks for the math reminder. I want to know I have a little beef but not so much it takes away from the summer drive with top down. I'll look for chambered.

Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 6:44pm
I'll add Walker and flow master to the list. One premise of the car was that I would do all the work since cash flow is minimal for toys. I'd be sleeping in it if I said I was taking it to a shop for a muffler.

Posted By: purple72Gremlin
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 6:55pm
Just me...not going to say anything about mufflers. But put tailpipes on it. If you want it quiet...put a balance tube on it. That will help. Some people want to hear it, others dont.  

Posted By: ccowx
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 7:23pm
Ok, here is a serious answer! The pipes are 2" for the stock system. If you use a 3 chamber muffler you will get a fairly quiet vehicle, especially with the small stock pipes. Unless you are racing an Ambassador, that should be fine. Straight through types are good for restriction, but if you are going that route, you probably could use some bigger pipes anyway. 

Are you just replacing the pipes or the entire system? If mufflers only, go with 3 chamber. If replacing, perhaps a 2-1/4" complete system with something a bit noisier for a muffler. Personally I use Magnaflow welded body versions, straight through, but you should be fine with 3 chamber types. 

Chris 

Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 8:33pm
Thank you Chris for the straight and skinny. I have a lot more pressing issues under the hood right now. My main goal is to have a decent muffler so the whole neighborhood doesn't know I'm on my way home at midnight. In a few weeks we have shift change and I'll be leaving at 4:30am.

It's the whole most bang for the buck scenario. The end goal is daily driveability and reliability. Worst case any given day I walk the 2 miles to work.

Posted By: Ram Air Rick
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

In typical practical fashion, you're the only one here that actually gave the OP a path to answer his original question !

Thumbs Up

Rich C.

Posted By: The Anti Chrysler
Date Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Ram Air Rick Ram Air Rick wrote:

In typical practical fashion, you're the only one here that actually gave the OP a path to an answer his original question !

Thumbs Up

Rich C.

Did you miss the part where I suggested just going to an exhaust shop? If there is one area where DIY just isn't worth it, it's exhaust.

Posted By: Ram Air Rick
Date Posted: Jan/09/2019 at 4:54am
Originally posted by The Anti Chrysler The Anti Chrysler wrote:

In typical practical fashion, you're the only one here that actually gave the OP a path to an answer his original question !

Thumbs Up

Rich C.

Did you miss the part where I suggested just going to an exhaust shop? If there is one area where DIY just isn't worth it, it's exhaust.

No, I saw your post, and that's how I handle those situations now. I thought your suggestion was a good one, but the OP was looking for info for a muffler for his car not a service.

Rich C.

Posted By: 401MATCOUPE
Date Posted: Jan/09/2019 at 6:33am

Originally posted by The Anti Chrysler The Anti Chrysler wrote:

Thumbs Up

Rich C.

No, I saw your post, and that's how I handle those situations now. I thought your suggestion was a good one, but the OP was looking for info for a muffler for his car not a service.

Rich C.

I have found that NAPA has a great catalog of mufflers and some that are extremely close to original AMC dimensions.......I highly recommend you try that as Ram Air Rick and 6 Pac Bee have also suggested.

-------------
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT

Posted By: Sonic Silver
Date Posted: Jan/09/2019 at 8:43am
For my 1970 AMX, I went to Midas in 1987 and got 2 lifetime mufflers. They are still on the car, 30+ years later.

Posted By: Greyhounds_AMX
Date Posted: Jan/13/2019 at 2:48pm
If you are looking for "bang for the buck", its very hard to beat Dynomax Super Turbo. I doubt you can find more flow at lower cost, and they sound pretty good. If you want a more stock sound but the same high flow capacity , they offer larger case versions.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

For my 1970 AMX, I went to Midas in 1987 and got 2 lifetime mufflers. They are still on the car, 30+ years later.

Curiously enough, the White70 has had several mufflers and tail pipes over the years. I've had the car since 1972. It has 140K miles on it. However the original cross over pipe after the exhaust manifolds is original to the car. All of it except about four to six inches where the last muffler shop shortened the pipe right before it goes into the muffler because it was getting rotten there. Weird huh. The car will be officially 50 years old this December.

I am still searching for the best sounding muffler, it has to be made of stainless steel. Not too loud but still makes the sound that everyone loves to hear.

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Posted By: ccowx
Date Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:11am
Crossover pipe? I did not think that a 70 Javelin had one of those from the factory?

Thanks!

Chris 

Date Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:34am
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

Crossover pipe? I did not think that a 70 Javelin had one of those from the factory?

Thanks!

Chris 

Sorry, bad use of terminology. Back in the day we used to call the pipe that joined the two sides together before the muffler for single exhaust a cross over pipe. 

-------------

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 12:00pm
And way back when my Grandfather and Father owned the garage it was called a "Y" pipe.

Date Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

And way back when my Grandfather and Father owned the garage it was called a "Y" pipe.

Yup, Y pipe was another term used, crossover might have been very local .

-------------

Posted By: Jmerican
Date Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 1:29pm
I’ve dodged this one for a while. Can I start with questions? What is your objective? Stock? Stockish?  Single or duals? Mellow to mild performance? Just the muffler? Are you looking to improve the performance? Change the sound? Then the recommending and experience can commence. 

I haven’t read the whole thread, but I’m seeing a lack of questions.

Posted By: Jmerican
Date Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 1:37pm
Fsj’s suggestion on the Walker book would be a great start. I’m sure we could help come up with something interesting. Describe the system now, and maybe post a pic, and rough dimensions.

Walker could provide stock type resonator equipped muffler, in a good flowing design. 

There are other, more trick ways of doing mellow ambassador worthy cruising, commute, neighborhood friendly things too.

Date Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 2:15pm
Walker Quiet Flow stainless mufflers are really nice. They are 100% OE replacement, very quiet, and last practically forever.

Turbo mufflers, made by Walker, Thrush, or Dynomax, are pretty nice too. They're usually not stainless but still last a long time. They are quiet but what sound they make has a nice tone. They do not drone at all.

I generally find a single large case volume turbo muffler with either a converter or a resonator ahead of it to be acceptable. Put an electric cutout in after the resonator if you want to blat from time to time.

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Date Posted: Jan/15/2019 at 12:30am
Actually I just discovered Thrush makes a muffler called the Thrush Hush. It looks like a really cool option. It appears to be basically a Thrush turbo with some fiberglass matting inside, which is exactly what stock OE mufflers are.

Will likely be my next muffler.

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Date Posted: Jan/15/2019 at 1:01pm
that’s what I have on my 69 and it just right it has a little rumble makes my 290 sound tough 
Mean

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Jmerican Jmerican wrote:

There are other, more trick ways of doing mellow ambassador worthy cruising, commute, neighborhood friendly things too.

As soon as I'm able to post pics I'll dump a ton. In the mean time it's stock, stock, stock. Just a huge hole in the middle of it.  I can see separate lines coming back from each side of he engine and then make a y'ish shape that then goes up and a quick 90 over the diff. It then goes into the muffler with the extra output on the left and exits on the right. It exits to a single side on the passengers side of the car. 

I've done single to doubles and doubles to singles on bikes, just don't know what I don't know with the car.  DIY is the name of the game. If I could go to a double it wouldn't hurt my feelings. 

Posted By: Phrogbubba
Date Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 4:46am
I crank Zepplin until it overcomes my Flowmaster 40's. If it's too loud . . . (?) you're too . . . (?)!

-------------
"When a man's words are not better than the silence, he should remain silent." Qwi Chang Cain

Posted By: one bad rambler
Date Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 9:14pm
I run 3 inch straight though (Perforated not louvered) glass packs that exit in front of the rear wheels...I turn my 8 track(Don`t have a radio) on when i start the car but can`t hear it while i`m driving..... The Burnout is not in front of my house..it`s in an industrial park.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEdV6vPswg" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEdV6vPswg

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net