Print Page | Close Window

My 69 amx

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made V8 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97393
Printed Date: Apr/19/2024 at 9:39pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My 69 amx
Posted By: amx007
Subject: My 69 amx
Date Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 8:26pm
it’s been to 1/2 dozen local wrenches and no one can get it right the electrics alone suck , the cars rebuilt and runs like trash any help Chicago area

-------------
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Replies:
Posted By: turbo
Date Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 8:34pm
watchu talking' bout, Willis?

-------------
they call me Capt RETIRED!

Posted By: 401jim
Date Posted: Nov/22/2018 at 4:07am
What are you in reference about? Engine running? Lights? Instruments? What??????

-------------

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Nov/22/2018 at 5:21am
tell us about whats on the engine .carb ignition is it stock and what gremlins you have haha  and this wonderful forum will walk you through the trouble shooting process

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Date Posted: Nov/22/2018 at 2:06pm
the charge system is canabalized with weird things I have never seen done 
The engine was running but sounds like it has huge exhaust leak,  it stalled  it after about 2 miles driving, I pulled  it home to my house , the painter had family problems so he stopped work it was in a his work Garge for 5 months , I rebuild holly, m12 trans out of a machine , battery could be shot , the engine was rebuilt when I got car 1 year ago since then all maintenance done for a car that’s been sitting 
I’m thinking timing , 

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 6:56am
i would start at the engine make sure the battery fully charged check for spark first then bring the number one piston to top dead and pull the cap check the location of the rotor  for timing issue then I might think about changing the coil to known good one it also could have a plugged pick up sock in the tank from bad gas  other things to look at is cam gear  make sure your getting fuel on the exhaust leak if it has headers they are known to hit the head bolt on the bottom side and need to be clearance  to fit proper or you might have to check the bolt on the manifolds  if it has the old heat riser in the exhaust system make sure its all there I have seen the shaft slide out causing a leak and now the charging system the Motorola system i my experience were  always having issues not charging so converted mine to a 2 wire gm alt or get a schismatic and start rewire the thing  hope this gave you a place to start good luck on the project keep us informed   

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Date Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 10:26am
thank you for help I’m so confused at 67 I’m not quite the same guy when I had my old 69 in 71
But that makes sense , no headers , I think the donut to pipe off exhaust manifold is bad 
And this enigne should run like a top ...

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Posted By: PHAT69AMX
Date Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 12:04pm
I'd be glad to help since I no longer have a car but sadly I'm 500 miles away... Disapprove

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Date Posted: Nov/24/2018 at 7:20pm
I’m so poed I ll sell it to you lol

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 4:29pm
Ok here it goes from what I have found the car ran with plug wires all out of place now I put them were they go in proper Oder and car turn and wants to start but no go 
Any thoughts 
Gary

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Posted By: bcsideshow
Date Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 4:57pm
Timing.  Assuming you got it on Top dead center on 1 on compression stroke when you redid the plug wires.  Rotate the distributor slightly each way to see if you get better results.   Also assumes you have good gas, choke closed, and solid stream of gas into the carb when setting choke.

-------------
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 4:57pm
Now that plug wires are installed in the correct firing order on the distibutor and going to each cylinder, the distributor is probably 180 degrees out of time...just a guess. 

\When no.1 cylinder is on TDC does the rotor point to the boss on the distributor cap for no. 1 cylinder?

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Date Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 5:15pm
I’ll try loosening the distributor and move it but what gets me is how did it run with the wires like that no wonder it was backfireing can’t trust anyone sabatogee

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Posted By: BassBoat
Date Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 3:18pm
Lots of possibilities.  Might have a bad cam.  Common old car problem.  You say you rebuilt the Holley, it is very common for a Holley to backfire and blow the power valve.  Running with a blown power valve will quickly foul the spark plugs.  Newer Holley will have check valve to prevent power valve damage.  What carb is on it and is it an older carb that you rebuilt?  If you don't know, replace the power valve and spark plugs.  Next, I am surprised by your comment that the car ran with the spark plug wires wrong.  Check again.  What I would recommend is pulling number one spark plug, put your thumb over the hole, and crank it by hand until you feel pressure.  That means you are on the compression stroke.  Then turn just enough more to line up the timing mark and you will be on top dead center for number one.  Whereever the rotor points should be number one.  Then make sure the wires in order go 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and recognize that drivers side is 1-3-5-7 front to back and passengers side is 2-4-6-8 front to back.  If you have been to multiple shops it might be in your best interest to fly Phat69 into town and pay him expenses.  If you can tow it to Cincinnati, I'll show you how to do it for free.  

Date Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 10:10pm
it nice to get the help thanx guys 
Gary merry Xmas to all

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 8:51am
Well my thanx goes out to grey ghost for coming all the way to my house to help work on my amx 
We did all the right stuff to no avail new plugs no points could not find them but it wanted to run but would not , carb getting gas to plugs,  thoughts are leaning to timing chain ( hope not )
Points were working according to dwell meter .
Now
Hope to figure this out without tearing it all the way down checked compression when cold could not warm it up to try right way still at 150 though 
Hope not cam

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 1:09pm
Das bummer... Did you all happen to check to see if the Rockers were too tight or if the Push Rods were too long ?

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 1:27pm
no we didn’t did not get that far good points 

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 1:50pm
Can you post pictures of the engine compartment?

-------------

Posted By: Grey Ghost
Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 9:50pm
From what I could see Gary's wiring is not in bad shape some one wired in the electric choke near the ballast resister at the coil. I static timed the distributor of the crank thinking the balancer outer ring may have spun but that was not the case. the points were out of adjustment so set them to 28 degree dwell while cranking, did a compression test has 150 psi across the board put new spark plugs in. Some were black other looked ok not excessively wet, checked the float levels on the Holley front was low rear was good. I tried hot wiring the coil strait off the battery to eliminate any issues that might be present up stream, the best we could get out of engine was barely run at wide open throttle with priming intake with carb cleaner. Drained fuel out of the float bowl looked good smelled good so not a bad gas issue, all this done while it was 4 degrees outside. was unable to check timing chain play due to engine has wrong crank bolt and it was loose. our next plan of attack is to tow it to my house were I can dig into it deeper, only brought a limited amount of tools with me. My plan is to eliminate everything externally before the engine needs to be opened up. I think I covered everything up to this point. Just remembered pulled the fuse for the choke to try with it opened and closed.

-------------
Lets go racing!

Posted By: Someassemblyrqd
Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 9:56pm
Did you grind up a dizzy gear with this new build engine?

-------------
Greg E.

Date Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 9:56pm
In 4 degrees ? !  ...  awesome work Beer

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 8:22am
Again my thanx to grey ghost ITV just bugs me that it ran good 7 months ago , I ordered a crank bolt so that’s a start in right direction hope weather breaks soon as I can get it towed to grey ghost 
and stupid me backed car in so even with heat we had to keep opening the door . I’m wondering what could it be ..?

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 3:03pm
Dizzy gear was good cam gear looked good in the hole also.

-------------
Lets go racing!

Date Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 7:23pm
what r thoughts on throwing a 390 in there

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Posted By: Greyhounds_AMX
Date Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 1:59am
It sounds like your spark quality isn't good enough. Possibly the condenser is shot. Maybe an upgraded distributor is due.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: Greyhounds_AMX
Date Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 8:12am
With 150 psi on each cylinder it seems like you could rule out major internal mechanical problems, like cam timing.

You could pull a plug wire and let the spark jump to ground so you can see the color. Blue white is good, orange not good.

The carb could be plugged up with rust fines. Over time I've seen the rust settle to a cake, and the fuel drained out pretty clear then. If you pull the front bowl you'll be able to tell if that could be it as some will settle there first.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Date Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 8:33am
carb fresh rebuild from ace
Thinking on changeing to solid state ignition 
Thoughts 

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 9:30pm
Gary we can do an electronic ignition upgrade, I have a stock Motorcraft style distributor (we will need to install your original gear on it) use a GM HEI module and a MSD blaster coil which should give you more spark output. We did this on my sons Pacer when his stock module gave out, it will be more dependable than points.

-------------
Lets go racing!

Date Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 6:54am
Hey sonny hope all well,  wanting to get runing, paint guy want running car, ( so he can mess it up again ) lol I like the idea of up grading distributor I’m thinking there was a different distributor in there since the old owners switched parts out what if gear is wrong ? I know of a coil distributor in one for sale  your thoughts gary

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 8:24pm
Gary if your talking about one of those large cap HEI units I don't think it will clear due to your power steering pump location. The Motorcraft style distributor with a remote module and MSD coil I believe would be a good dependable upgrade and would look close to stock. Give me a call or send me a text if you want to tow it over here to get it running. Sonny

-------------
Lets go racing!

Posted By: Dirtydog
Date Posted: Mar/10/2019 at 2:59pm
maybe cracked distributor cap. Maybe fuel pump fuel filter clogged. Go with electronic ignition. Make sure your exhaust is Flowing right nothing plugging it up. Just throwing some ideas out for you

Date Posted: Mar/10/2019 at 3:29pm
Big thanx to grey ghost it’s running and now to get it road worthy 
Gary 

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Posted By: BU1
Date Posted: Mar/10/2019 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by amx007 amx007 wrote:

Big thanx to grey ghost it’s running and now to get it road worthy 
Gary 

And the problem was...............?????????????????????????

-------------
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959

Date Posted: Mar/10/2019 at 7:29pm
installed new electronic ignition and adjust timing some others things and now to tighten it up yey

-------------
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Mar/11/2019 at 6:40pm
The original dizzy gear was chewed up but not toast yet, found cam gear only had oil coming out of 1 hole. replaced the gear with a new one and rechecked oil flow now has full oil coverage. Installed a dizzy out of a Jeep with a GM hei module, pulled carb found fuel leaking out of primaries, pulled the bowl found 2 gaskets on the power valve so replaced both. Oil was fuel diluted drained out like water.
Starts right up motor seems to run well has brake and suspension issues I didn't want to go to far. That's where it's at now.

-------------
Lets go racing!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net