Print Page | Close Window

RHD AMX

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97267
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 2:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: RHD AMX
Posted By: Mostly last.
Subject: RHD AMX
Date Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 4:12pm
Twenty four 69 AMX's came to Australia as complete knock down kits exported from USA.
Australian Motor Industries made them right hand drive. They had to use some local content to comply with goverment regulations so there are a few differences between an Aussie AMX and the original .
Was lucky to buy two of the twenty four about 18 months back. First one I came across was a project been in pieces since the mid 90's. Had three owners in two states since it was pulled down. I am number four and shifted the body and parts 1850 mile in a container to yet another state. Course in all that time and moving plenty has been damaged or lost.
First time I saw it back of a badly lit shed.

After trip across the country South to North. Great to see it in daylight for the first time.

In the shed ready to get among it.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Replies:
Posted By: george w
Date Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 7:05pm
There was a red Aussie X here in the states some time ago. As far as I know it's still here. Don't know who owns it. I was told by Larry Mitchell that they all were 343 automatic cars. Is yours ?

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 8:58pm
Looks like this is going to be a sweet project. Can't wait to see the progress.

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Date Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 10:01pm
george w,- Correct, Red Aussie AMX#18 went back over to the States. California I think. And yes all twenty four were originally 343 3spd auto.
Still a fine automobile but I do wish we had got manual 390 with manual steering.
I have read there was a test mule sent over as well for AMI to work from to get the process for following cars up and running. Whereabouts unknown.

pit crew,- Thankyou, I've got a bit to catch you all up on. Guess I kept it to myself a bit. Worried at first I would make a mess of a piece of motoring history, but I'm going OK, thanks largely to studying this forum, so hopefully I can pay back a little by posting.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 2:47am
Some little things that gave me something to do for a while.
Has had a light impact RS front.

This took a while to fix.

Radiator baffle was under instead of over bottom front crossmember tab.

LS below "A" pillar took a hit sometime.

Original Blackstone was recored sometime with a deeper core. Side straps were reattatched with less wrap around. This was solution to make it fit.

Found a bit of filler here and there.

After sorting all that out I got to here sanding by hand.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: jpnjim
Date Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 9:46am
Looks like you have your hands full,
thanks for posting up for everyone to see the progress Clap

Good luck.

-------------
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords

Posted By: 69BBB3904spAMX
Date Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 1:16pm
I shipped an original paint pristine yellow AMX hood about 20 years ago down under to an AMX owner who said his family had lost the original hood moving from one place to another.

Always wondered which AMX it ended up on?

-------------
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer

Date Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 2:19pm
jpnjim, thanks.

69BBB3904spAMX, I don't know which AMX that might be.

Front left fender was replaced with a damaged 70 javelin fender at some point. Side indicator opening was changed to suit 69 but in wrong spot. Had me scratching my head how to make that recess shape.
Part of an old tower computer frame did the trick.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 4:54am
Got the body on to a rotisserie.

Made things easier. We live in the tropics, wet season was coming on. Rust forming behind me on parts I had knocked dents out of and sanded.
Had to speed things up. Got professional help to wet sandblast. The three Aussie AMX's I have seen in person all had very thick protective layer applied underneath. Took some getting off.

Gave it time to dry.
Turned it lots of times to get the garnet blasting media out.
Primered with Jotun Penngaurd Special high build marine primer.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 5:07am
Looks like you are making great progress. I'm not sure what it is about odd front fenders on the Aussie cars, seems almost par for the course, my 69 Javelin also has one recessed and one not recessed.

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Date Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 7:57am
While you have it down to this level I would suggest you get a sealer of some type with a spray wand to get the inside of the "frame" rails and rockers coated. Not sure what you have available there but here several companies, like Eastwood, make a combo rust converter sealer in a spray can with a flexible spray wand and a 360 spray head.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

-------------

Posted By: PHAT69AMX
Date Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 2:31pm
As an "in-process" bare metal removable protectant, is the product "Fluid Film" available in Austrailia ?

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Date Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 2:35pm
Western Red, Hi Darren, good to hear from you.

Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

While you have it down to this level I would suggest you get a sealer of some type with a spray wand to get the inside of the "frame" rails and rockers coated. Not sure what you have available there but here several companies, like Eastwood, make a combo rust converter sealer in a spray can with a flexible spray wand and a 360 spray head.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

Thanks for that link pit crew. Wish I had of known about that wand before today.
I did get a couple of different rust coverter, sealers into some places I couldn't get primer onto. One of those was a spray but with that wand would of been much better.

Far as rust goes, compared to what I have seen on this forum I got off lightly. Sandblasting found some rust I hadn't noticed but on the whole the original red primer has stood up well in places where previous owners chemical paint stripper couldn't get to it.
Cut open a rocker to fix a dent. You can see the original primer still inside. After 49 years it is pretty good.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

As an "in-process" bare metal removable protectant, is the product "Fluid Film" available in Austrailia ?

Have not heard of it, but I got alot to learn. Spent my working life in the cattle industry. Cars is only recent for me.
   I used a product called " Fertrans " and " Motospray Rust Converter Sealer"

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 5:33am
Made some screw in tabs to get the fenders on.

Added some metal to the leading edge of the door.

After 20 litres of primer and lots of sanding got to here.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 2:23pm
Aussie assembled AMX's were black underneath (lots of undercoating ) and painted black pretty much right across in front. The AMX quarter circle overlayed a piece of black vinyl. The vinyl was prone to detioriating and falling out. I went with paint there instead.

Preserved the best section of the original topcoat for colour matching.
Australian Motor Industries calls this " Safety Wattle " yellow.
It's very close to P58 Hialeah Yellow.

Went with acrylic. That AMX in the pic is #24 of the 24 Aussie AMX's.
Still has its original paint. Holding up well. Got a few crows feet and such but still very good.

#24 out in the sun.

12 coats of Acrylic later. Wet sanding to 2000grit.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 6:13pm
For some strange reason I really like the color.  LOL

-------------

Posted By: amcglass
Date Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 8:23pm
sweet build....keep up the awesome work.   I like the fabrication on parts that you made to accomidate your build   

keep up the great work and keep us posted

-------------
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin

Date Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 2:39pm
Thanks fella's.
I should of started the thread earlier on, would no doubt have been a better project with input from folks more familiar with AMC than myself. Not to worry. Just about caught you up to where I am at now.

Took Aussie AMX#14 off the rotisserie and put it back on the frame it was on when we got it. I did shorten up the frame though so I could reach over the top and the hood for polishing.

Satisfying to see it like this for the first time.
Not so long back for me, a car was just a tool used for a job if needed. Didn't see why people wasted so much on them.
I get it now. Wasting plenty of time and money myself.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: turbo
Date Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 4:21pm
The guy who owned the red RHD in the states was John something and he lived in So. Cal in the late 80's.  He was down on his luck and was in the process of a divorce and was selling off some parts which I purchased from him.  His wife ended up with the car in the settlement.  Have no idea where it ended up.  I heard John died at some point. 

-------------
they call me Capt RETIRED!

Date Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 4:57am
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

The guy who owned the red RHD in the states was John something and he lived in So. Cal in the late 80's.  He was down on his luck and was in the process of a divorce and was selling off some parts which I purchased from him.  His wife ended up with the car in the settlement.  Have no idea where it ended up.  I heard John died at some point. 

If you dig around on the net a bit you might find a US car magazine.
" Popular Cars " volume 7, Number 6, June 1986.
Has about three pages including pics on Aussie AMX#18 in the States.

I can give you a bit of interesting trivia about the car.
Imagine in Australia you got 24 AMX bodies in front of you and then 24 engines and you are asked to assemble 24 cars. If it was me I might just hook in and start putting them together. When you finish someone notices the engines are numbered.
Most of the 24 do not have the right numbered engine. Our number 14 has number 9 engine. Our number 24 has number 21 engine.
The info I have on hand says number 24's engine is in that number 18 AMX that went over to the States. I don't think I will ever get to reunite the two.

Pics from that magazine.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 3:02pm
Started in on reassembly.

Dressed up the back probably too early but I just like seeing it when I walk in the door.

Where I am at now. Ran new brake lines. Suspect I have to take the brake booster off again to get the wiring harness through the firewall.
Planning on putting the engine in from underneath.

Used layers of brown paper and glue to fix the original broken headliner. Used 3m spray glue to attatch new vinyl. Sure is sticky. First attempt was a creased up failure. Second try was OK.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: 70javrag
Date Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 11:03am
Very nice work. Look forward to keeping up with the rest of the build.

Date Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by 70javrag 70javrag wrote:

Very nice work. Look forward to keeping up with the rest of the build.

Thankyou. 
 Started on the wiring harness. Got this problem to sort out. Harness was still attatched to the dash so I guess this was done to drag it through the firewall from the engine bay.

Other thing I am scratching my head about is our Aussie AMX's have two big sections of harness doubled over to shorten them ( Cos everything is on RHS compared to yours ) Would tidy up the engine bay, make the harness less bulky and lessen electrical resistance if I removed the doubled up sections. But TSM shows a pink resistance wire between the yellow coil wire and the instrument cluster connector.
 Says do not splice or cut. Doing more research.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 9:56pm
I think the cut bulkhead plate is par for the course on Aussie cars, then they just doubled over the wiring to get rid of the extra length. I would shorten the harness to make it look better unless you want to keep it 100% original. So long as you don’t shorten the original pink resistor wire, you can cut the yellow wire down and re-attach the pink. The rally dash wiring is also a bit of a mess since it is an add-on to accommodate the tacho and oil pressure gauge, so the yellow wire goes from the ignition out to the inner fender then back to the tacho and back out to the engine again. You can make all of this a lot neater and eliminate a lot of unnecessary wires if that takes your fancy.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I think the cut bulkhead plate is par for the course on Aussie cars, then they just doubled over the wiring to get rid of the extra length. I would shorten the harness to make it look better unless you want to keep it 100% original. So long as you don’t shorten the original pink resistor wire, you can cut the yellow wire down and re-attach the pink. The rally dash wiring is also a bit of a mess since it is an add-on to accommodate the tacho and oil pressure gauge, so the yellow wire goes from the ignition out to the inner fender then back to the tacho and back out to the engine again. You can make all of this a lot neater and eliminate a lot of unnecessary wires if that takes your fancy.

Ended up welding the firewall plate. Forgot to take a pic until after I had the harness back in.
Did not shorten the harness, figured Aussie AMX#24 has been running fine with the full version for 49 years.

Am an amateur learning as I go along. Enjoying the experience.
 I must of lifted the trunk lid on AMX#24  50 times trying to work out how the light turned on and off.
 Noticed a bare wire near the trunk light on AMX#14's harness. Found the mercury switch when I pulled the light apart to fix the wire. Still got a smile on my face thinking about it. 

Got a smile out of this as well.
Harness went to the right.
Indicators had to be swapped over. Australian Motor Industries practical solution.
 Awesome to think someone in Australia put these on 49 years ago.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 3:22pm
    Made a template to transfer to plywood for a new dash face.
Can anyone tell me where the support bracket on the bench in front goes.  Guessing it must go from the middle back to the firewall. Can't see in our other AMX cos the aircon blocks that area from view.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 5:20am
Had a break and caught up with Aussie AMX#16 a few days ago,

Back on the job, cut a new dash face out. Got all the wires hooked up.

No E Brake light switch to be found, made this up.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: Twisted70amx
Date Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 11:31am
It looks like you do really nice work and you're making great progress, keep it up! 

Date Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Twisted70amx Twisted70amx wrote:

It looks like you do really nice work and you're making great progress, keep it up! 

Thankyou for the encouragement.

Gave the interior a rest for a while waiting for next trip to the city to get floor covering.
Took a look at the engine. Engine on the left belongs to this AMX.

Got it on a stand to check it out. Found some new looking gaskets and freeze plugs, Valve covers and sump have been primered. Looks like a fresh ring gear has been welded on flex plate. Flex wheel balance weights scrape on the bell housing to engine plate. Anyone know what "CN" and the dot in white might mean ?

Sent the waterpump away for an overhaul.
Found a broken off bolt where power steering pump mounts. Came out OK.
 Always good to have a win starting out.

Didn't want to wait three weeks for more parts from USA.
 Todays effort to get the hood stainless trim on.  Will separate them tomorrow and see if they work.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 8:39am
What a project, you are a creative genius !! Need you on my 69 American project.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Posted By: 69BBB3904spAMX
Date Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 4:08pm
In the USA, the hood trim was attached with "stamped" nuts that used an inside nut driver due to the limited clearance for a standard nut and socket to tighten the nut.

-------------
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer

Date Posted: Dec/18/2018 at 2:36am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

What a project, you are a creative genius !! Need you on my 69 American project.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

I'd be there if the Pacific wasn't blocking the way. I have learnt alot reading your posts.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Dec/18/2018 at 2:45am
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

In the USA, the hood trim was attached with "stamped" nuts that used an inside nut driver due to the limited clearance for a standard nut and socket to tighten the nut.

Those stamped nuts are on the Aussie AMX's as well.
 Here's a better picture.
 There are two stamped nuts with a wire clip between on each side.
The nut extension on the right is a cunning way of getting around the problem.
The fasteners I made yesterday went on OK, but as you pointed out clearance was limited. ( I used a small socket )

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 4:33am
Made up two sets of grille bracket supports we were missing.

Visitor turned up today. ( Red AMX )   Four RHD AMX's together.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: TX390AMX
Date Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 3:34pm
John,
  You're an inspiration to us all. With only 24 Aussie AMX's ever made, to see 4 of them in one garage 49 years later is amazing! Your fabrication work and detail is impressive, thanks for sharing. My daughter lives in Perth, WA, but at my age, I doubt I'll ever be able to visit. Still enjoying the posts from members outside the US who take on these challenging restorations.

-------------
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup

Date Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by TX390AMX TX390AMX wrote:

John,
  You're an inspiration to us all. With only 24 Aussie AMX's ever made, to see 4 of them in one garage 49 years later is amazing! Your fabrication work and detail is impressive, thanks for sharing. My daughter lives in Perth, WA, but at my age, I doubt I'll ever be able to visit. Still enjoying the posts from members outside the US who take on these challenging restorations.

TX390AMX,  Thankyou, but to clarify, only three are Aussie assembled AMX's and one of those belongs to a friend. 
The Alamosa Aqua AMX is a US import converted to RHD using parts from an Aussie assembled 1970 Javelin. I plan to work on it after I complete the Yellow one. The previous owner of the Alamosa Aqua AMX has done some brilliant work on it. I need to learn alot more to finish it to the same standard.
  Hope you can visit Perth. Call in here too.  My wife & I visited your country in 2014. Car people over there who we spent time with have come over here and stayed with us. Good cars are beaut but the real treasure in a car forum is the people you meet.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 12:10pm
Our Aussie AMX's came out with Dunlop Aquajet ER70H14 tyres.

When I was looking for tryes the same size, H speed rating and not too expensive I could only find
whitewalls.  At a recent car show I met a bloke said if I had 10 tyres to do he would come to our house and do them. Got the tyres flipped over on the rims and put a redline on them yesterday.
 Happy with the result. Pretty cool watching that red line come round as it is first applied to the tyre.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: Amx nz
Date Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 12:41pm
Looks like Santa started early this year LOL . Merry Christmas to you and Phyllis , man your a man on a mission and doing so good , at this rate you are going to beat MAD MAX to the road I am still waiting on a few things to tidy up then start on #2 . It's been a fast year and you have done so good .   good on you mate ,jump the ditch and finish mine for me LOL.   Marry Christmas 

-------------
Mad max # 15

Date Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Amx nz Amx nz wrote:

Looks like Santa started early this year LOL . Merry Christmas to you and Phyllis , man your a man on a mission and doing so good , at this rate you are going to beat MAD MAX to the road I am still waiting on a few things to tidy up then start on #2 . It's been a fast year and you have done so good .   good on you mate ,jump the ditch and finish mine for me LOL.   Marry Christmas 

That ditch is a problem for both of us Doug. Sure would like to catch up with MAD MAX and the others.
Merry Christmas to you and Faye.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 8:05am
I'm thinking the balance weight on the flex plate has been welded on the wrong side, looks like those welds might be fresh like the ring gear ones. Somebody may have made one from two to repair/replace broken parts, maybe some help here  http://www.theamcforum.com/forum/flex-plate-id_topic4832_page8.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.theamcforum.com/forum/flex-plate-id_topic4832_page8.html

TX390AMX,  if you ever make it to Perth, look me up, there are a few AMC fans over here in the west, but it is probably just about as far away from Mostly Last as you can get on the mainland.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 10:49am
Thanks for that link Darren. Much appreciated.
 Was going to take a smidgeon of metal off the weight to stop it scraping.
Did not think to question the side the weights were on. Have to take a closer look now at the spare 343 engine flex plate. Also wondering if I can get a look at the engine side of #24's flex plate through that hole in the engine-bell housing plate.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: Ambassador66
Date Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 9:18pm
Quite an amazing project you have. Wish I had 1/10 that amount of talent. Good on you.

Date Posted: Jan/06/2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Ambassador66 Ambassador66 wrote:

Quite an amazing project you have. Wish I had 1/10 that amount of talent. Good on you.

Thankyou for the encouragement.
This forum is a big help.

Checked that link ( Western Red's post top of this page ) regards flexplate. Page 5 of that thread  SC397 says,-

" You are in luck, it is hellbilly proof!  No, you can not bolt the flex plate on backwards.  (I just tried it)  There is no position where all of the holes will line up when it is flipped the wrong way. 
The counter weights on the 904 & 727 are on the side that faces the transmission. 
The counter weights on the TH400 and Borg Warners face the engine side. "

Guess that means I will have to shave a little off the high side of the balancing weight.
Checked out the flex plate on our spare 343 and it has no balancing weight.

Over Christmas New Year our daughter and her partner visited. Great young bloke he helped me pull the 343 belongs to this car apart.
Found one exhaust valve different type to all the others stuck and of course a bent pushrod.
Got some spares on hand and found a valve and pushrod I think can replace it. Amusing, engine will still have an odd exhaust valve.
 That same young bloke is very patient and a good teacher. Taught dinosaur me about tig welding.
About 40 years ago I had a go brazing a catch on a WW2 ammunition box with oxy acet.
 Found tig similar and having a ball.
 Made a harmonic balancer puller first and used it on 343.

Next was a fiddly bit. One of the keepers for window seal, end was broken off. Blew holes in it first go. Turned the tig welder way down to 2 setting and got it next go.  How to make the plastic coating next.
used Devcon, went OK.

Fixed below. 
 Modern world is great. I dented that drip rail stainless you can see in the pic badly, installing it. ( Had read Scott Campbell's AMX restoration book and knew not to build up too much paint there, but moulding was twisted slightly and I stupidly used a small rubber mallet to persuade it) Watched a yotube video on how to straighten stainless, then another on how to knock it off the drip rail with a piece of hardwood. Took a full day but it's back on looking how it should.

Top part of the 1/4 window edge was broken off and dipstick tube top and bottom was separated.
Tig welder fixed them as well. Saving bigtime now, don't need so many replacement parts from USA.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jan/10/2019 at 3:04pm
Painted the grille.  Installed it and the bumper.

Moved onto the floor covering. Not sure how it's going to go.
Patched up saddles and bridles in the past. If I get it cut out right looks like a lot of edging to stitch.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 7:44am
Floor covering went okay.

Copied the covering used in the boot of Aussie AMX#24. Took a while to stitch around the edge by hand.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: maddvector
Date Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 8:26am
Awesome Cars!
Incredible Work!

Date Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by maddvector maddvector wrote:

Awesome Cars!
Incredible Work!

Thankyou.
Enjoying the challenge. Learning a lot.

Couldn't find a wedge that goes on the collapsible steering column bracket. Made one from a block of aluminium.

Worked ok. Got the steering column installed.

Used scrap plastic to make a cover for the light warning buzzer.

Seats next. Got a frightening quote from an upholsterer. Spent enough all ready. Have a go myself first I think.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 4:17pm
Shaping the foam for drivers seat cushion took a while and lost some blood stitching a new seat insert into the surrounding 50 year old vinyl.
Not perfect but I won't be able to see it when I'm sitting in it.

Glued up cracks in the signal switch and back of the steering wheel.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Mar/03/2019 at 1:53am
Used Butyl to fit the old windscreen in.
First time with butyl for me. Went pretty good.

Should bring back memories for the people who remember this car from early 1992.

Noticed this a while back. Been boundary riding it till now. Pulled the front suspension apart today. Car has had an impact sometime bottom of left side " A " pillar. Was worried the cast steel would break.

Took it round the corner to a friend who restores old stationary engines and knows more about metal than I ever will. Tried pushing the bend out in a press. At 30 ton pressure a pin in the press failed. AMC metal is tough.
Heated the knuckle pin in a vice next and pulled it around with a piece of heavy pipe over it. Cooled it with compressed air then water.
Bet I think about it every corner I turn for a while if I ever get on the road.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: Steve_P
Date Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 12:53pm
The upright, spindle, and knuckle are all forged steel, probably a 1040 variant. I would change the damaged one out- I realize you're in AU but that isn't an expensive used part and it'd suck if it failed. It's certainly been weakened as you changed the temper on it with heating it and cooling with air/water.

Beautiful car and nice work. How many of the RHD AMXs are known to still exist?

Date Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

The upright, spindle, and knuckle are all forged steel, probably a 1040 variant. I would change the damaged one out- I realize you're in AU but that isn't an expensive used part and it'd suck if it failed. It's certainly been weakened as you changed the temper on it with heating it and cooling with air/water.

Beautiful car and nice work. How many of the RHD AMXs are known to still exist?

Thankyou for the info on the knuckle. Have not found a replacement in Australia so straightened and probably not so sound has to do for now. Watching the internet in USA hoping to pick one up.

Roll call for the 24 Aussie assembled RHD AMX's is pretty good and interesting.
Far as I know.
1   in USA
2   in New Zealand
1   parted out
1   missing
19 accounted for ( some not surfaced for a while )
    Of these 19 I know of at least 6 get out on the road or turn up at a car show sometime.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Mar/23/2019 at 4:40pm
Pistons out and measured the bore. Average 4.081" 2 5/16" down.
At the top 4.083 in a few places.
Found 1 broken piston ring. Another piston was missing one of the thin oil rings.

Rod side clearance OK.

Conrod and crankshaft bearing clearance OK with plastigage.

Very lucky to have a NOS head on hand to see what valve seats should look like.

AMX#14 head, have to make it look like NOS seats in the pic above.

Bought a valve refacer and borrowed a valve seating tool.
Determined to do as much as I can myself on this project.
Enjoying the challenge and if its a fail got only myself to blame.
Dressing a grinding stone.

Cutting a narrowing angle.

Lappping. Note the two stands holding the head. Friend lent them to me.
Great idea. Got to make some for next time.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 8:06am
Been a long time since I have seen a hand lapping valve tool. Your project amazes me with each post !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 11:56am

Been a long time since I have seen a hand lapping valve tool. Your project amazes me with each post !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Bit sad in a way. I did go and ask a professional early on.
    He had never heard of an AMC engine. Told me he needed to do this and that, would cost so much. He measured a valve stem told me it had a terrible amount of wear, should measure 3/8'. I said I think TSM says valve stems are less than 3/8" new. He also told me I didn't want high compression, 98 octane was no good, and that all old heads were pretty rough from factory. At about this point I remembered the shiny flat faced NOS AMC head I had at home and the extra effort AMC put into their engines, decided for sure to find the equipment and have a go myself.
Could sink, but gotta be optimistic try and swim.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 8:53pm
imho Nowadays the only way to get what you want if you know what you're doing is to do it yourself.

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Date Posted: Mar/31/2019 at 4:38pm

imho Nowadays the only way to get what you want if you know what you're doing is to do it yourself.

Agreed.
Sometimes not sure if I know what I am doing.
This is the worst of three out of four outside corners that have hairline cracks on the heads. Have been told the engine was good and saw no evidence of evaporated coolant. I'll find out if I eventually get it going I guess.

Rotating engine parts away for a few days getting balanced.
Meantime did some cleaning.

Got a thing about vehicles looking tidy underneath.
Couldn't leave it how it was,-

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Apr/07/2019 at 1:51pm
   Remember back on page three I said the flex plate balance weight scraped on the bell housing to engine plate.
Glad I took the rotating assembly to a pro for balancing.
About 130 grams in that weight out of balance. The weight didn't need to be there and got cut off. For final balance one small hole added to the flex plate. Small extra hole in a crank balance weight and another hole in the harmonic balancer drilled a fraction deeper.

Machine used for our external engine balance. ( I had never seen all this before. Asked lots of questions and learnt a lot.)

Bobweights. Mystery to me till I saw them. Got it now.

Cost including fitting new pistons and pins to my old rods was AU$1055. (Roughly US$738)

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 5:02pm
Someone in the past stopped this spring keeper rattling. I like it.
Can stay like this for now. Will see how the car sits reassembled. Suspect will need to reset or add another leaf down the track.

Not sure if this is textbook but worked for me.

After removing the centre and the rubber I drove an old screwdriver right down between the eye and outer bush.

Got to be 50 year old oil.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 9:22pm
My 1969 AMX was a 343 4V Automatic and the original Borg Warner Flexplate did NOT have a weight on it.  Do you think maybe your Flexplate had been replaced due to a bad ring gear and someone used the wrong flexplate?  I'm pretty sure the AMC 390 Borg Warner Automatic Flexplate is the one that has the rectangular weight on it.
It appears the red oxide on the pumpkin held up well for 50 years, is it Twin-Grip ?
An old nail in the leaf spring was thinking out side of the box and most likely stopped the rattle.
There are date codes stamped on the Main Leaf near one end.
Is there a place in Australia that can re-arch and re-temper your Leaf Springs ? 
Thanks for your work taking and posting pictures and progress, I for one enjoy checking it out.

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 10:17pm

My 1969 AMX was a 343 4V Automatic and the original Borg Warner Flexplate did NOT have a weight on it.  Do you think maybe your Flexplate had been replaced due to a bad ring gear and someone used the wrong flexplate?  I'm pretty sure the AMC 390 Borg Warner Automatic Flexplate is the one that has the rectangular weight on it.
It appears the red oxide on the pumpkin held up well for 50 years, is it Twin-Grip ?
An old nail in the leaf spring was thinking out side of the box and most likely stopped the rattle.
There are date codes stamped on the Main Leaf near one end.
Is there a place in Australia that can re-arch and re-temper your Leaf Springs ? 
Thanks for your work taking and posting pictures and progress, I for one enjoy checking it out.

Yes, I have a spare 343 and like yours it has no weight on the flexplate. The one on this vehicle could have been from another model or a bad balance job. The white paint mark and letters CN make me think bad balance job.
390 AMC engines are rare in Australia. Aussie 70 Javelin only far as I know, and only 70 of those assembled here.
The red oxide on the diff did hold up well. Coated with black paint that came off easily with the pressure spray, was a surprise to see how good it was. Hidden away with black paint again now for someone else to find in another 50 years. It is a twin grip.
Plenty of spring places here, but in about 1983 I added a leaf and cold reset a very similar springpack on a 1979 Toyota Hi-Lux utility. Don't mind doing it again if need be.
Thanks for your input. I would be struggling but for this forum and being lucky to have a very original Aussie AMX as a template.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Apr/24/2019 at 1:13pm
TSM says take the timing cover dowels out. Not sure now that I should of.
Threaded the inside of the dowel and this cheap two man tent peg 3/16. Got this one out easy. Ruined the other one.
Didn't want another 10 day to three week wait for a part from USA.
Bought a replacement dowel locally. Solid and a little too big.
Drilled it end to end with a hand drill. ( First go ran off, flipped it over and got it in the middle from the other way. ) Got a good 3/16 thread in it and then sanded it with 180 grit by hand on the end of the cheap tent peg, measuring with a micrometer until it fit.

Got under Aussie AMX#24 and did some measuring. Made a frame while waiting for a timing cover that I hope is better than the one I have on hand.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Apr/28/2019 at 5:40pm
Finished painting suspension parts yesterday. Running out of places to put things.

Looked inside the starter. Very dirty but brushes looked good. Cut the mica segments down. Would turn over but not pull in. Try again.
After the third time apart and sanding every earth finally had a win.
Clean the outside and paint next.

Got a surprise when I investigated the air cleaner. Factory correct for 4 barrel 343 off Aussie AMX#24 on the left.
Ring in on the right came with parts for AMX#14, suspect it's from a two barrel engine. Looks like a big air flow restriction. Cut it out.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: 401MATCOUPE
Date Posted: Apr/28/2019 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Mostly last. Mostly last. wrote:

Got a surprise when I investigated the air cleaner. Factory correct for 4 barrel 343 off Aussie AMX#24 on the left.
Ring in on the right came with parts for AMX#14, suspect it's from a two barrel engine. Looks like a big air flow restriction. Cut it out.

John,

That is a correct 4 barrel air cleaner base, found on 290-343-390 4V engines put in Body Body cars like Ambassador and Rebel.  It was baffled to cut the noise on the "Top Level" cars.....you did good by just cutting the baffle out.

Ross

-------------
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT

Date Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 12:39am
Thanks Ross, I'm learning plenty.

Today I found out more.
Reading a post from 2017 in V8 engine section I realised the carburetor ( M7A 4624S ) is for a 68 343 manual car.
Interesting it was first 4623S ( correct for 68 343 auto ) but the three has been overstamped with a 4.

Did some research in the parts book and I would need about seven parts to go back to what it was and about 11 parts to make it the same as a 4663S which is the correct carby for our 69 AMX 343 auto.
Aussie 69 AMX 343 auto pictured here.

If I could find a correct 4663S I got international shipping and most likely a carby overhaul kit ahead of me.

Looking today I can get a new edelbrock 1905 AVS2 650 in Australia.
I realise to keep my air cleaner housing I would have to alter the inside to suit the bigger carby mouth.
Can anyone please give me advice if other than that its a direct fit, edelbrock AVS2 to the factory 343 manifold.
I reckon if I need a spacer, adapter plate the extra height might kill making the factory air cleaner fit.

2021 edit,- I used a CFM calculator and went with the 500 CFM  edelbrock 1902 AVS2 for the 343.
      Been a good choice so far.   Went with 650CFM AVS2 on a 390 in a different AMX in 2020.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 7:11am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

John,

That is a correct 4 barrel air cleaner base, found on 290-343-390 4V engines put in Body Body cars like Ambassador and Rebel.  It was baffled to cut the noise on the "Top Level" cars.....you did good by just cutting the baffle out.

Ross

I've seen the baffled filter housing in multiple original 1968 390 AMXs, including mine, so I think they didn't control this 100% as intended.

Date Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 7:16am

Thanks Ross, I'm learning plenty.

Today I found out more.
Reading a post from 2017 in V8 engine section I realised the carburetor ( M7A 4624S ) is for a 68 343 manual car.
Interesting it was first 4623S ( correct for 68 343 auto ) but the three has been overstamped with a 4.

Did some research in the parts book and I would need about seven parts to go back to what it was and about 11 parts to make it the same as a 4663S which is the correct carby for our 69 AMX 343 auto.
Aussie 69 AMX 343 auto pictured here.

If I could find a correct 4663S I got international shipping and most likely a carby overhaul kit ahead of me.

Looking today I can get a new edelbrock 1905 AVS2 650 in Australia.
I realise to keep my air cleaner housing I would have to alter the inside to suit the bigger carby mouth.
Can anyone please give me advice if other than that its a direct fit, edelbrock AVS2 to the factory 343 manifold.
I reckon if I need a spacer, adapter plate the extra height might kill making the factory air cleaner fit.

That date code stamping is interesting- I've never seen an M like that and I have several M7 carbs. Did they final assemble Carter carbs outside the US? It looks like they started with the basic casting and then finished them somewhere else and stamped the month portion date code and altered the PN if necessary.

Date Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 7:27am
Misc- absolutely no need to take the timing cover dowels out as you now realize.

The leaf springs had a PN ID and a date code on the shortest spring. Most people burn out the rubber bushing material with a torch; it's quick, but it makes a mess. The early Mustangs use the same leaf spring clamps but their kit includes an extra one.

Date Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

Misc- absolutely no need to take the timing cover dowels out as you now realize.

The leaf springs had a PN ID and a date code on the shortest spring. Most people burn out the rubber bushing material with a torch; it's quick, but it makes a mess. The early Mustangs use the same leaf spring clamps but their kit includes an extra one.

Steve-P, Thanks for all the information.
Regards Carter Carburetor alteration outside USA, I don't know.
The carburetor in question was altered from auto to suit a manual.
Far as I know Australian Motor Industries that did final assembly of the KCD bodies over here only sold automatic Javelins and AMX's.
I do not know if their rebel or ambassadors included manual transmissions.

By the way I replaced that steering part like you recomended in a previous post. One of your fellow countrymen generously helped out.
Super glad I joined the forum.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: May/04/2019 at 5:45am
Plan is to roll this in under the body on the hoist.

Timing cover on the right turned up yesterday. Has some corrosion and the top alternator-oil filter bracket has a broken lug. The RHD filter set up is what I was missing.
Will swap the RHD oil filter lines and base over to the cover on the left.
Been sandblasted I reckon and lost some detail. Will have to do.
It has 79 and a C on it, Crankshaft seal can go in from either way. Timing marks are different.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: May/06/2019 at 6:52am
Waiting for oil to drain today noticed this picture oportunity.
Why I chose the Mostly Last moniker. Thats the last Aussie assembled AMX to come off the assembly line and the last Japanese Twin Turbo GTO to come off the assembly line.
Same as your 3000GT 99 VR4. There were 287 USDM 99 VR4's, last one came off the line about August 99. There were also 325 JDM Twin Turbo "99's"
Last one, pictured here came off the line 30th July 2000. That's 612 total worldwide. Same wheelbase, length, width and roughly same horsepower as 69 AMX. Wife and I owned 5 of them, including the second last one off the line. Sold 4, I like the AMX more.

Just in case you find it hard to believe here they are in our backyard couple of years back. Had them all set up the same, same radio, same two way, full size spare in the back. Drove one right around mainland Australia in 2012. Hopeless in town, great for long distance travel for two. We carry everything and camp on the side of the road. The AMX has more room for gear with no back seat.

Anyhow back to my 343 AMX engine.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: May/07/2019 at 6:04am
Reassembly at last. Great couple of days.

Turned over, wow, happy about that. Put it on to the trolley frame.

Had a win here. It all worked, even the torque converter studs went straight into the flexplate.

Can't paint here anymore with two dead cars in the road. Push this across the lawn tomorrow to where I can do some more cleaning and then paint. Will suspend the whole assembly, prime and paint, then put it back on the trolley, wheel it back over, fit some more parts.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: 401MATCOUPE
Date Posted: May/07/2019 at 6:35am

Timing cover on the right turned up yesterday. Has some corrosion and the top alternator-oil filter bracket has a broken lug. The RHD filter set up is what I was missing.
Will swap the RHD oil filter lines and base over to the cover on the left.
Been sandblasted I reckon and lost some detail. Will have to do.
It has 79 and a C on it, Crankshaft seal can go in from either way. Timing marks are different.

FYI, that timing cover is a very later replacement...you hit the nail on the head...main differences are the through hole for the front cover seal...then the re scaled timing marks that go from 0-20 instead of 10-0-10 and has a extra boss for a crankshaft timing pick up (sensor).....they are functionally interchangeable...so no worries there.

Ross

-------------
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT

Date Posted: May/10/2019 at 5:30am
Thanks Ross.

Couldn't push the engine across the grass.
Briggs & Stratton power to the rescue.

Paint shop bloke who matched the paint said it should pop.
Wouldn't mind if it was a little darker or greener.

Got a chrome part in the mail today peculiar to our Aussie cars that took a long while to find. The Jigsaw is starting to come together.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: May/10/2019 at 8:27am
You are one amazing fellar and a AMC'er to boot !!! 
Keep up the awesome work !!! I just love this thread.........Beer.....Handshake

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: May/13/2019 at 6:41am

You are one amazing fellar and a AMC'er to boot !!! 
Keep up the awesome work !!! I just love this thread.........Beer.....Handshake

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Thanks Ollie,
              I'm enjoying it.
     Wish I had of done this earlier in life, but I had a fool notion as a teenager I was going to ride as good as Larry Mahan.
Course I never did.
Lucky I eventually worked out cattle was a better living than horses.
Now getting a special old car on the road seems just a good thing to do.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: May/17/2019 at 10:29pm
Engine today.
Don't know what the fan comes off, but came with the parts and will do till I find the right one.
Made the valve cover tag. Original is gone but I had a photo from 1992 to copy.

Be a couple more days yet altering the air cleaner housing for the Edelbrock AVS2.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: May/25/2019 at 5:09pm
Just caught up on the last couple of pages of the build, love your work.

The flex fan is from a little bit later model I reckon.

-------------

Date Posted: May/25/2019 at 8:28pm

Just caught up on the last couple of pages of the build, love your work.

The flex fan is from a little bit later model I reckon.

Thanks Darren,

Wish I could do a bit better work.
Tried an oil catch invention but could not get it to a point where I was happy to use it.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: May/26/2019 at 10:12am
I was wondering about that oil filter. Is that setup typical for Aussie AMCs, or is it your creation? Was thinking there might be interference with the steering box using the "normal" filter location.

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Date Posted: May/29/2019 at 12:06am
bigbad69
        You are correct. RHD steering interferes with normal filter location.
This setup is not exclusively Aussie though. AMC produced it for your RHD postal delivery vehicles.

The only good thing about an upside down filter up top is I found it is super easy to prime the oil pump.
No Petroleum jelly needed. I just ran the oil in a funnel down to the pump with my left hand and turned the pump backwards with my right, then hooked a drill on and turned the pump clockwise.

Great to see a good amount of oil for the distributor gear.

I had been worried I should of filled some of the grooves on the timing chain sprocket but they were shallow so I left them. Turned out good, just a nice seep of oil from them.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jun/01/2019 at 6:06am
Got to here on the engine.

Last job on the engine was to be the distributor and plug leads.
Got two distributors with the parts for this car. 1111472 and 1111988.
Learnt something again. Neither one belongs. They are both for 2 barrel intakes.
Need a 1111948 for a 69 343 4 barrel.
Main difference seems to be in the advance weight springs.
Luckily a friend had one and put it in the mail for me.
Moved on, got the body on the hoist and moved onto installing the diff and rear suspension.

Rear end is done.
Engine, front suspension, driveshaft and an exhaust and I'll be getting close.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: skymit
Date Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 7:50am
wow. Just read through the whole build. It seemed to happen pretty quickly too. It’s looking great.
Did you know you can run your oil filter of the bottom of the timing cover like the LHD cars? I’ve got an Aussie RHD 70 Rebel and an Aussie RHD Matador coupe and have converted both of them to mount the oil filter as per the LHD cars. You just have to use a smaller oil filter. I can get you the part numbers if you like. 
Or maybe you are trying to keep to original Aussie specs.

Date Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by skymit skymit wrote:

wow. Just read through the whole build. It seemed to happen pretty quickly too. It’s looking great.
Did you know you can run your oil filter of the bottom of the timing cover like the LHD cars? I’ve got an Aussie RHD 70 Rebel and an Aussie RHD Matador coupe and have converted both of them to mount the oil filter as per the LHD cars. You just have to use a smaller oil filter. I can get you the part numbers if you like. 
Or maybe you are trying to keep to original Aussie specs.

I would really appreciate that smaller oil filter part number thankyou.

I knew about it from reading the Aussie section on the forum here. Bought a filter with the number mentioned and it did not screw on so I abandoned ship and went with original Aussie specs. Messy oil filter replacement, but it works.
I'm keen to get on the road, not getting any younger and don't trust our goverment not to force us all into electric bubble cars before I can enjoy it.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 4:31pm

I'm keen to get on the road, not getting any younger and don't trust our goverment not to force us all into electric bubble cars before I can enjoy it.
You're not alone in that boat.

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Posted By: skymit
Date Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 11:32pm
i use this Longer filter on my Matador as the engine has been spaced over to the left.
Longer
 Repco part # rof-134
Tyco z689
I use this shorter filter on my Rebel as the engine is in the standard location
Shorter
Repco part# Rof-87
Ryco  Z585

Date Posted: Jun/03/2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by skymit skymit wrote:

i use this Longer filter on my Matador as the engine has been spaced over to the left.
Longer
 Repco part # rof-134
Tyco z689
I use this shorter filter on my Rebel as the engine is in the standard location
Shorter
Repco part# Rof-87
Ryco  Z585

Thankyou. Ryco Z585 is what I tried. Good to know it's the right filter.
Had another look at the oil pump. Even though the oil pump to filter thread looks OK it must be damaged. I'll see what I can do with it.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jun/08/2019 at 5:09pm
Bit of a dissapointment how many parts I got with this project that either don't belong or are worn out. All part of the fun, but yesterday trying to make one good distributor out of three I found something told me I did the right thing buying this AMX project.
Pic below shows how a stout AMC engine distributor shaft in an effort to keep going for its owner, not only chewed through its housing and bush, but then went on through the breaker plate. Still looked good enough from the outside I thought I was going to use it when I was all wide eyed buying it two years ago.
Lately here a faint hearted bubble car stopped traffic on a range when it pulled up and refused to go any further after it sensed a road works safety cone placed too close to the lane it was in.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jun/08/2019 at 5:30pm
Testing breaker plate vacuum advance.
Full advance was about 19.5" like TSM says

On the engine.
Bit interested why it is not orientated exact same way as our other 343 AMX.
Set it up according to what I have read on the forum here and it all seemed to check out OK.

Mounted the AVS2 so it looked similar to the original AFB.
Fuel filter as per 69.
Carby to fuel filter fitting is Part#A3779 from Chicago Corvette.

Because I went manual choke had to do something different to tidy up vacuum & PCV hose routing.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jun/10/2019 at 7:07am
Been looking forward to this.

IN !! Only trap I found for first timer like myself, when I tried to put the steering pitman back straight there was a clunk as the clamp on the steering shaft hit the rear spark plug heat sheild. Had to cut the heat sheild and bend it towards the manifold so the clamp cleared it. Will remember for next time.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jun/12/2019 at 6:00am
First time I've seen it on four wheels.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jun/13/2019 at 7:09am
Got only one rear section of exhaust with the project.
Bought a Gardner exhaust system from Red Hook, NY.

Comes well packed. Fedex got it from Red Hook, NY. to Northern Australia in 7 days.

Impressed with the effort Gardner exhaust goes to.

Goes on easy.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 7:58am
Did not notice this detail on the Gardner exhaust muffler until a couple of days ago. They sure went to some trouble.

Today was the big day. Turned the key for the first time.
Once the fuel got up to the Edelbrock AVS2 the engine fired up and idled at 500RPM smooth as.
No smoke from the exhaust.
Smoke in the cabin though, short in the wire to the cigarette lighter.
Got a couple of electrical issues to sort out before I drive it.
The hairline cracks in the outside corners of the heads did leak some coolant.
That's a minus, but it runs, nicely. I'll find some better heads.
I know I can do it now. On top of the world.
Thanks to the TSM, this forum and friends who helped.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 8:08am
Clap .......... Cheers..........Beer........Fantastic..........Handshake

Glad all went well. Hope I encounter the same results........

Now is the tweekin' time and many hours of driving pleasure ahead   !!!!!!!!!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 3:58pm

Clap .......... Cheers..........Beer........Fantastic..........Handshake

Glad all went well. Hope I encounter the same results........

Now is the tweekin' time and many hours of driving pleasure ahead   !!!!!!!!!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Thanks Ollie,
              You do great work.
   A picture you posted in one of your project threads where you got a roll of material and cut and fitted your own floor covering gave my project a huge confidence boost. Came across it just at the right time.

John.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Date Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 5:19pm
Will be awesome to see it finally back on the road, had been through about 3 owners as a project car over many years. Great work, love the finer details.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 4:55pm

Will be awesome to see it finally back on the road, had been through about 3 owners as a project car over many years. Great work, love the finer details.

Thanks Darren,
               Hoping I'm on the road in next few weeks.
Ran it again yesterday. No smoke in the cabin this time.
Waiting on a part from USA.
Got a new regulator organised, alternator was charging over 15 volts at 2000rpm.
Cigarette lighter wiring shorted right from the console up into the dash. Fuse didn't blow and it went up just like a toaster element.
Smoke took ages to clear cos alot of it was coming from under the floor covering.
I must have another wire joined up wrong somewhere.
Scuff plate off, seat out, steering wheel off and spend some time upside down under the dash. Glad I don't have an air conditioner.
Will send some fresh pics and info for the Register when I'm on the road.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: Tomo
Date Posted: Jul/16/2019 at 6:37am
Hi There, I've got number 10 RHD AMX and working through a few electrical issues. Wonder how to remove the windscreen wiper switch knob. I've read it locked to the spindle with a small crub screw. I haven't located this screw.

Date Posted: Jul/16/2019 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Tomo Tomo wrote:

Hi There, I've got number 10 RHD AMX and working through a few electrical issues. Wonder how to remove the windscreen wiper switch knob. I've read it locked to the spindle with a small crub screw. I haven't located this screw.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Hi Tomo,
        Great to hear from you. Congrats on Aussie AMX#10. Looked beaut in the auction advertising.
Turn the knob to the right and look at the small end. You should see a notch you can put a small screwdriver in and push straight towards the shaft to raise a small spring then pull the knob from the shaft.
If you can get hold of a TSM ( Workshop manual ) wiper switch is in the " body " section ( 20-7 ) not in the electrical section where you first look for it.
Hope we can catch up in person sometime.

Got AMX#14 out of the shed for the first time today. Did four mile round the trees in the garden for first drive.

-------------
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.

Posted By: PABLO
Date Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 9:52am
I´m speechless 
I´m doing small restoring works on my 1973 AMX but nothing comparable your work is capital letters 

-------------
1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net