Print Page | Close Window

trunk lock problem

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Body/Interior
Forum Description: Paint, glass, interior, rust, sheetmetal goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97105
Printed Date: Mar/29/2024 at 8:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: trunk lock problem
Posted By: scatterbrain
Subject: trunk lock problem
Date Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 4:42pm
Car is '64 (I think...) Ambassador.  The key turns the cylinder, but the lock doesn't unlatch to release the trunk.  Does anyone have a Special Trick for dealing with this?  It's been a long time since I've pulled the back seats in one like this, and iIrc the bottom lifts out, but the back is bolted in via nuts that are... in the trunk.

Replies:
Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 4:50pm
Oddly enough you can try putting body pressure to compress down on the trunk lid. Some times seals will hold the trunk lid  in place, as well, so grabbing and pulling up after compression when unlocking will release. 

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Date Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 4:56pm
Thanks - I'll give that a go and report.

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 4:57pm
Agree with 304, but also when applying the pressure down apply pressure in, with the key.
Otherwise take it to a locksmith.

Date Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 11:30am
Tried it, but it's certain that the latch isn't operating despite the key turning normally (and not just a sticky seal).  So I need a Plan B.

For an assortment of reasons, it's not practical to get a locksmith to go at it.  I live out in the country and it's not running or registered.  Too expensive to get someone to come out, given that it's not an emergency - all I'm trying to do at the moment is get some stuff out of the trunk that was left there some time ago.

So what other options are there?  Can the lock cylinder be removed from outside?  Can I get access to the trunk by taking out a taillight?  Other?

Posted By: tyrodtom
Date Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 1:30pm
The tail lights are removed from in side the trunk also.

It sounds like the little link that goes from the back of the lock cylinder to the latch has dropped out.

The only method I know of getting in is destructive.  You turn a knocker screw into the key hole and jerk it out.     And then open the trunk by tripping the latch with a long screwdriver.
That usually destroys the lock cylinder,  and damages the lip that the cylinder sits in.

You can repair the recess the cylinder sits in with some careful hammer and dolly work.   I've done this several times.

-------------
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.

Date Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 2:28pm
If the bolts go through the trunk and the ends are accessible from the underside, you can try cutting a slot in the end of the bolts and screwing them back into the trunk.
Other then this drill out the lock cylinder, a small hole saw is sometimes best as it will remove the flange of the lock and not damage the trunk lid if carefully done.

Posted By: tyrodtom
Date Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 7:16pm
The bolts that hold the seat are at the top of the seat,  if it's like the other AMCs of that era.

-------------
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.

Date Posted: Nov/03/2018 at 6:07am
What's the rear valance material and are there rear speaker holes?
Just throwing out options that won't cost a whole lot to repair afterwards.

Posted By: belchfireV8
Date Posted: Nov/05/2018 at 1:16pm
just had my    8 yr old neighbor  boy crawl the back seat of a 70 javelin and unbolt the U strap/catch to open the trunk.....2 ..  1/2'' head bolts.
cost me an icecream truck binge

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Nov/05/2018 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by belchfireV8 belchfireV8 wrote:

just had my    8 yr old neighbor  boy crawl the back seat of a 70 javelin and unbolt the U strap/catch to open the trunk.....2 ..  1/2'' head bolts.
cost me an icecream truck binge

HA! I bet the ice cream guy got cleaned out, aye!

Back when I was that age, we had an old fashioned hand dipped cone style ice cream truck. Though he did sell other packaged goods. But his big sellers was the strawberry cone and banana splits. Just as good and if not better than the big chain without the high price. You can't find that any more. The 70s was good to me as a boy. How times changed. Kids are missing out.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Date Posted: Nov/05/2018 at 2:18pm
Well done.
Don't fatten the boy up too much - may need those skills another day!

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Nov/05/2018 at 2:27pm
I have no idea how a '64 is made but on the '70 Rebel, take out the back seat and with about 4' of extensions, take out the two bolts for the trunk lock hasp and the lid opens.  If you do this, tape all the extensions at the joints and at the socket.  DAMHIK.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net