Print Page | Close Window

6 Barrel 401

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made V8 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96280
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 10:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 6 Barrel 401
Posted By: danalog
Subject: 6 Barrel 401
Date Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 7:09pm
Hello everyone,

My son and I were thinking on rebuilding a 401 v8 and he wanted to put on either three 2 barrel carbs, or six single barrel carbs, if we miraculously found a manifold like this that was compatible with the 401. Would the engine be able to handle it? I know dodge made a 340 six barrel so I think it wouldn't be a problem but I've never seen a 6 barrel 401 so I have no clue.

Replies:
Posted By: Boris Badanov
Date Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 7:20pm
A 401 can easily use a 6V set up.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Posted By: brownspirit
Date Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 7:23pm
Pretty sure Indy was making the "Mod Man" intakes to fit AMC engines and at one time at least they offered a 3 x 2 top. Andy

-------------
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 7:39pm
Ford had a cool in line 4x2 intake for 1970 trans am. Would love to see a cut Torker modded into a setup like it. Ford had other setups that never made it to the full time race program. Trans Am made a lot of rules changes to limit 71 and further years.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Posted By: jpnjim
Date Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 9:18pm
Are you guys considering making/modifying an intake to fit the 6x1 or 3x2 carbs?
The Offy Dual Quad intake has been cut down/modified to take blowers, among other things,
so I'm sure you could get it to take 3x2's, or maybe even 6x1's,
but other than the Mod Man Indy intake,
I don't think there was ever an off the shelf 6 bbl AMC intake.

They're doing another batch of Crossrams, or you could run the Offy 2x4 intake as is if you just want an interesting multi-carb setup

What car/truck would it be going in?

-------------
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords

Posted By: Rebel Machine
Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 6:22am
401 Six Pack! Love the sound of that!

-Steve-

Posted By: 1982AMCConcord
Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 6:47am
I know you want a dedicated 2x3 intake but I always thought this had kind of a cool look...

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Three-2-Barrel-Carbs-to-4-Barrel-Intake-Adapter,8955.html

Posted By: 83GT
Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 6:52am
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

I know you want a dedicated 2x3 intake but I always thought this had kind of a cool look...

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Three-2-Barrel-Carbs-to-4-Barrel-Intake-Adapter,8955.html

...and only $150 too!

-------------
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around

Posted By: 1982AMCConcord
Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 7:08am
Originally posted by 83GT 83GT wrote:

Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

...and only $150 too!

Yeah... I liked it.. I thought it had a cool look... I know he wants a real manifold but this is one way of going after the look at least! I think he's going to have a hard time figuring out where to source a manifold like that for our engines though. We do on the other hand have access to some decent manifolds still and if the look is what he's after.. this might actually operate in the manner he's after...  

Posted By: PHAT69AMX
Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 10:09am
Many moons ago in a back building of an old Indiana AMC dirt track racer got pictures of this...

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 11:09am
^yowza!!

Wow thats cool

-------------

Posted By: 23baseball3
Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 11:46am
Throttle linkage would be a nightmare on that intake, but MAN that's cool!

-------------
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R

Posted By: 67RogueX-Code
Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 12:36pm
...not if you photoshop that too... Big smile

-------------
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code

Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 7:21pm
The adapter sounds like a good idea but after seeing the indy modman I think I will go with that, however this adapter sounds like a genius idea. By the sound of it there is probably no off the shelf stuff for a 6x1 setup but we don't mind 3x2. I should probably point out that this 401 is actually a bored out 390 (not sure if that changes any factors). I am into the modman and will probably go with that! The project actually hasn't started yet but my son and I love to look as far ahead as we can with this stuff. If anyone knows of a 6x1 carb idea we would love to hear it!

-Dan

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 8:12pm
Short deck 390 (1969) has a slightly narrower intake, so you need a 67-69 intake or have to modify a later one slightly to make it fit. If it's a 1970 390, then it is the same as all of the later motors.

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Date Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by danalog danalog wrote:

The adapter sounds like a good idea but after seeing the indy modman I think I will go with that, however this adapter sounds like a genius idea. By the sound of it there is probably no off the shelf stuff for a 6x1 setup but we don't mind 3x2. I should probably point out that this 401 is actually a bored out 390 (not sure if that changes any factors). I am into the modman and will probably go with that! The project actually hasn't started yet but my son and I love to look as far ahead as we can with this stuff. If anyone knows of a 6x1 carb idea we would love to hear it!

-Dan

check this out before spending lots of $$$$ on the ModMan
http://theamcforum.com/forum/custom-intake-manifold_topic32861.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/custom-intake-manifold_topic32861.html

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 5:07am
If there was enough room, three AFB's would be a nice "6 pack".

I laid it out in Master cam but there is not enough room under the hood.

But with a custom manifold it could be done with only a little creativity....

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 3:34pm
This project is a long way out, I don't plan on buying the manifold for quite a while. I like the idea but the modman comes with a full kit of carbs and the linkage so it's not that much more money. Like I said though, I am still looking for as many ideas I can get.

Date Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 7:05pm

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 7:14pm

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 12:58pm
Mopar, cut to fit, paint to match... Wink

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Posted By: 6speedamc
Date Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 2:15pm
How about an 8 barrel?...lol...not for sale and I have never seen another one nor has anyone else (AMC guys) I have spoke to...Its set up for 48ida Webers...Getting the new carbs done as I write this and going to go on top a 401 in a 72 Gremlin X...Here is my inspiration!

-------------
64290Americanconv-ForSale
69Jav390-DadboughtNew!
69BBBJav3904spModpkg-ForSale
69BBBAMX
SC/R-A,RWBMachine,TAJav
70BBB3904spAMX-ForSale
70BBOAMX
70BBGDonohue
SC360,72GremlinX3905spd
72P.C.Jav/AMX74AMX

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by 6speedamc 6speedamc wrote:

How about an 8 barrel?...lol...not for sale and I have never seen another one nor has anyone else (AMC guys) I have spoke to...Its set up for 48ida Webers...Getting the new carbs done as I write this and going to go on top a 401 in a 72 Gremlin X...Here is my inspiration!

Cool cut and graft job.... Looks like a home brew pan with grafted Mopar setup runners.

Seen a full setup from an old 70s car mag. It was in an AMC Hornet or Grem. Just remember some AMC logos

My uncle had many from late 60s to early 70s when he did power boat racing. I hated noise from shop work so I did not stick around, let alone he was not so keen on having a kid be around active machinery.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Date Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 12:22pm
Understanding is this is one of a very few Traco Intake Manifolds for 1968-69 TransAm Javelins
when 2 4-Barrel Carburetors were allowed, like when Chevy had the CrossRam 302...

-------------

Posted By: pwrslide
Date Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 4:33pm
Nice...I really wanted to do a similar setup on my Matador with CAN-AM style staggered velocity stacks through the hood. 

Posted By: pwrslide
Date Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Understanding is this is one of a very few Traco Intake Manifolds for 1968-69 TransAm Javelins
when 2 4-Barrel Carburetors were allowed, like when Chevy had the CrossRam 302...

Very cool vintage piece! Multiple carbs are it for me

Posted By: Fluffy73
Date Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 6:14pm
I can't remember where I got this pic, (would give credit if could remember) but I want to do this someday! I even have three aluminum intakes sitting waiting until I can find a talented enough person to take on the project!

-------------
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.

Posted By: 70amxpaul
Date Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 6:26pm
That is really a cool intake with 3 2's....the linkage should be interesting to figure out. I would purchase one if made available. 

-------------
1970 red AMX 390 4speed AM FM rally PAC go PAC tilt rim blow black leather service block 60 over Canton pan Ross piston Indy intake Eddie heads Crane roller cam kit Ford 9 posi roll bar 65000 miles

Posted By: 401Ambo
Date Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 9:05pm

Looks like it has short runners and a large plenum.

-------------
'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)

Date Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 9:10pm
Over on the CRG Camaro Research Group Forum, where I found quite a bit of good info
about CrossRam Inatkes and Carburetors I came across this post in a "Traco Fans" thread
about the AMC Dual 4 Barrel Inline Intake Manifold pictured above, posted by a Traco employee...
Pretty amazing first-hand "was there when it happened" stuff man...
There is quite a bit of interesting TRACO info and articles posted there...

And a couple "choice" snipit quotes from Traco Employee "Pigpen" ( Mr. Edward (Gene) Owen )

"I'm sorry but it's been way too long for me to remember the torque curves for TRACO's T/A engines (or any for that matter),
 but 475-490 HP was a good number for the Chevys, on TRACO's dyno...
 The AMC T/A (304) engines were a little better, around 510-520 HP on the Dyno..."

"Yep, 40 years is too long to remember HP stats, at least for me.  The only thing I'm sure of is that
the AMC (304) engines put out a little more than the Chevys."

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9220.30" rel="nofollow - http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9220.30

CRG Forum Post by "OG69Z", with reply by "Pigpen" (Traco Employee):

Hello Gene, aka Pigpen,
     First, I’d like to thank you for your time and efforts to share a part of your life with us on this forum. Your first hand experiences can and do lend a hand to the legendary name of Traco.
     Growing up in Southern California during Traco’s Trans-am days, I can attest to not only the “street” reputation, but also of the “mystic” that surrounded anything Traco’s name was on. 
      I was fortunate in 2005, to acquire and restore a 1969 AMX that had been raced in the 70’s. When found, it was equipped with several Traco specific components. The unique Traco two four barrel intake manifold being the most prominent. Our forum has a brief description and history on the car and the Traco manifold. You can find it posted under entry #9 here:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8069.msg66670;topicseen#msg66670

As posted, I feel fortunate to have received some great recollections from Stewart Van Dyne concerning Traco’s AMC program, and primarily the Traco intake.  I hope you may be able to add to the history of this special intake manifold.
     As I understand it, the intake was initially engineered for the Trans-am program. Photos of a similar intake with a single four barrel top have surfaced showing use on the Trans-am Javelins. I have not been able to find any clear photos of the Dual Four  being used on the Javelins though. Do you have any recollections of this Dual Four Intake?  Stewart remembered dyno times with the manifold, and believed it was tested or briefly used on a Javelin before the rule change. He also thought  it may have later been tried on the Matador, but I believe he was away from Traco by then.
     As stated in the forum post,  it’s a terrific running manifold. 
      On another note, you might recall a Traco designed AMC lifter retainer. It shows typical Traco execution, beautifully formed of stainless steel. I am still using it in the AMX, and wouldn’t think of running an AMC without one.
        Again Gene, thank you in advance for any tales you may have concerning my intake, but most importantly, your contributions to this forum.
Best Regards,
Robert

Response from Pigpen ( Mr. Edward (Gene) Owen ):

Yes I was involved with the design and testing of that manifold along with many other people at TRACO. I'm surprised Stewart remembers it, he was up to his ears in Offys and had little time for anything else, he was TRACO's Offy expert, and later proved to be one of the foremost Offy experts in the industry.

A little background; Many of the earlier TRACO track engines were built using Weber carbs, 1 cylinder / 1 carburetor, easy to jet and tune, lots of breathing capacity.

The Chevy factory supplied TRACO with a dual in-line 4-barrel prototype manifold (not the Cross Ram) on which we spent a lot of time gluing in runners at the bottom of the plenum to equal out the flow, eventually the factory modified their pattern to match what we'd done and a number of the manifolds were produced. We also performed a similar series of tests for the Cross Ram, which Chevy used to make improvements.

From what we learned on the Chevy manifolds and our Weber experience, we designed the AMC manifold to mimic (as much as possible) a 1 cyl / 1 Carb design, but with a common plenum (rules is rules). That strange plenum design (you mentioned) was the result and worked quite well.

The 304 CID AMC Trans AM engines had been tuned to the maximum using a single 850 Holly (or was it 800), so when we attached the dual 4-B manifold, which allowed for a serious increase in breathing, we found that the added horsepower reduced the life expectancy of the engines from 1 to 2 races to about 1/4 race. They were fine for the drags, but the Cam and lifters would have to be changed for any serious track use. About that time, the rule about using 1 4-B was issued, pretty much ending the work on that project for Trans Am. The Matador, under NASCAR rules, could only have a 1 4-B set up.

What Stewart mentioned about the cam bearings was right on, the bearings were compressed and spun right out of their journals, welding themselves to the cam. We tried a few things and finally ended up using a special Aluminum Bronze alloy for the cam bearings.

I do remember the first time that manifold was dyno tested on a 304, The torque curve just kept climbing and climbing, everyone in the shop was cheering and yelling "Go Baby Go". I don't remember the exact horse output, but it easily broke the 1.7 horse per CID rule of thumb for a normally aspirated track engine.

Pigpen

-------------

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 6:34am
Wouldn't be hard to make a Weber intake from steel tubing and flanges. Use a fiber insulator/spacer between carb and base to prevent too much heat transferring to carb. If I were going multi carb that's what I'd do -- one barrel per carb has wicked throttle response as long as the carbs aren't too big. Three sizes of IDF (newer IDA replacement) are available, and there is the DCNF also. I don't know enough about Webers to say a whole lot, but the venturis are replaceable at least on the DCNF, making them size adaptable to almost anything.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: PROSTOCKTOM
Date Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 4:14pm
I you want to make as nice looking 3 x 2 intake start with an Edelbrock 3 x 2 intake for a 383 Mopar and graft it into a AMC Performer air gap base like other have talked doing with 383 Tunnel Ram intakes. If spent some time and effort you could build something that looks very original. The average person would never know it wasn't a factory built  aftermarket 401 3 x 2 intake.

Tom

Date Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 5:59pm
Wanting a 3 X 2 manifold is obviously for the cool factor.
A single 4bbl or a dual should make more power.

A mod man with a 3 X 2 top is the best and easiest way.

But if you want to go through the hassle of grafting
a MOPAR tri power on a air gam base then go for it.
If it don't leak it will obviously work just fine.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Posted By: tufcj
Date Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 7:44pm
A 12 barrel would be twice as good.  anyone see this when it was on eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-Tunnel-Ram-Edelbrock-Offenhauser-3-4-bbl-Custom-/192695397813?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-Tunnel-Ram-Edelbrock-Offenhauser-3-4-bbl-Custom-/192695397813?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Bob
tufcj

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford

Posted By: amxron
Date Posted: Oct/27/2018 at 7:54pm
Someone has way too much time on their hands!

Ron.

-------------
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Oct/27/2018 at 8:47pm
If, big IF, you had blower intake laying around - you could mill the top support off and just use a flat plate to fab for the 6 pack.
Not much machining or time. Not going to be flow generous, but easy and cool!
A six pack set up with mechanical linkage to open the outboard barrels works well. Converted GM and Chrysler away from factory vacuum systems this way and you get much more reliable/efficient  performance. Better then a straight up 4 barrel if set up right in most cases.
If I had the intake I'd do this myself. But a new blower intake is over $1000 - not me!
Ron, some have the time but don't have the resources, but some have both.
Just thinking out loud again.

Date Posted: Oct/28/2018 at 6:03am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

If, big IF, you had blower intake laying around - you could mill the top support off and just use a flat plate to fab for the 6 pack.
Not much machining or time. Not going to be flow generous, but easy and cool!
A six pack set up with mechanical linkage to open the outboard barrels works well. Converted GM and Chrysler away from factory vacuum systems this way and you get much more reliable/efficient  performance. Better then a straight up 4 barrel if set up right in most cases.
If I had the intake I'd do this myself. But a new blower intake is over $1000 - not me!
Ron, some have the time but don't have the resources, but some have both.
Just thinking out loud again.

The regular Offy single plane 4v has a big flat section in the middle,
much like the Offy 2x4,
plenty of room to open up the cavity, add a plate and have 3x2 for a little more effort but a lot less $$.

Someone turned an Offy 4v intake into a blower intake at some point in the same way,
too bad the Offy 4v's aren't more common around here or it would be a fun little side project.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/28/2018 at 12:15pm
Not plenty of room if it is 3 Holleys, but it can be done.
Two Carter AFBs fit better. But 3 holleys can be done
if you carefully mill the top off, slot it properly
and make a top.

Second to the Mod Man the Offy holds the best opportunity
for a 6 pack and is a proven design.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Oct/28/2018 at 12:21pm
You know what, If I could get a minimum of 5 orders I
might think of making 3 Holley tops for the Offy.

All CNC machined.

Your manifold and I mod it. No welding involved.

You get it back leak free with bases for 3 Holleys.

Making it fit and work would be your problem of course.

I think it would about double the cost of buying a new Offy.

I am NOT advertising, but seeing the response to this thread
I am thinking I can help. 

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Oct/28/2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

You know what, If I could get a minimum of 5 orders I
might think of making 3 Holley tops for the Offy.

All CNC machined.

Your manifold and I mod it. No welding involved.

You get it back leak free with bases for 3 Holleys.

Making it fit and work would be your problem of course.

I think it would about double the cost of buying a new Offy.

I am NOT advertising, but seeing the response to this thread
I am thinking I can help. 

Seems like a fair offer BB Clap

Can you still get the Offy's new?

Summit lists the 2x4 and the spreadbore,

the spread bore comes up as $314 for me,
but not available until next year:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5918/overview/" rel="nofollow - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5918/overview/

I'd assume the spread and square flange intakes start out as the same casting,
but I really don't know that for sure.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 9:20am
After a quick MasterCam layout it is obvious
that on small chassis cars you would have
problems with the wiper motor AND you
would have to get very creative about the
air filter assemblies.

Using the dual 4bbl manifold is preferred
as it is structurally stronger making it 
easier to attach the adapter plate.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 9:28am
Having no 2300 carbs or Offy manifolds
to use as a pattern at this time it appears 
you would have to use the special "300-521 Tri-power package"
Carbs to make them fit.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 11:14am
Back in the day Offenhauser offered a 6-Barrel Lid for their Chevrolet CrossRam Intake Manifold...

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 12:04pm

Back in the day Offenhauser offered a 6-Barrel Lid for their Chevrolet CrossRam Intake Manifold...

While very cool looking I am sure it suffered horribly from proper fuel distribution with that setup.Thumbs Down

Tom

Date Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 12:16pm
Yes, would have to agree, but it looks cool Wink

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 5:28pm
Looks cool usually rules!

You can make a 6V set-up for an AMC but it will cost about 3 X the
cost of two carters on an Offy.

But bling does sell...

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 6:11pm
While not the easiest or most cost effective, but in my opinion the coolest way to get a factory look 3 x 2 intake for an AMC is the use an AMC Air Gap base and buy an Edelbrock 383 DP6B intake like this one  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-383-400-SIX-PACK-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-3X2-DODGE-CHRYSLER-MOPAR-EDELBROCK-DP6B/232967854176?epid=7024850159&hash=item363df75860:g:7lUAAOSwvO5bxUse:rk:1:pf:1&vxp=mtr&frcectupt=true" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-383-400-SIX-PACK-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-3X2-DODGE-CHRYSLER-MOPAR-EDELBROCK-DP6B/232967854176?epid=7024850159&hash=item363df75860:g:7lUAAOSwvO5bxUse:rk:1:pf:1&vxp=mtr&frcectupt=true

Cut them both apart and graft it together. The plus side of doing it with this intake is you can buy carbs, linkage, and air cleaners off the shelf and if time and care is taken it will look like a factory 401 6V intake. If I wanted a 6-pack setup this is the way I would do it.

Tom

Date Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 4:38am
Like I said....

Cost is no barrier if you gotta have it.

And I like the idea!

Grafting the manifold on is easy, machining
and welding or screwing so it does not leak air or water is the hard part.

But the cool factor is un deniable....:-)

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Posted By: Javelin_GT
Date Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 6:44am
Not sure if this was mentioned but Hogan will make any manifold you want.

http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com/

Example:  http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0802-hogans-racing-intake-manifolds/" rel="nofollow - http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0802-hogans-racing-intake-manifolds/

Date Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Javelin_GT Javelin_GT wrote:

Not sure if this was mentioned but Hogan will make any manifold you want.

http://https://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com/" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com/

Example:  http://https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0802-hogans-racing-intake-manifolds/" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0802-hogans-racing-intake-manifolds/
Sure they will if you want to spend $4000 on one.

FYI: None of your links are correct. When you past a URL into the hyperlink box you must delete the second http:// or it will not work.

http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0802-hogans-racing-intake-manifolds" rel="nofollow - http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0802-hogans-racing-intake-manifolds

Tom

Date Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 1:39pm
Tom..........I fixed the links for you.

The cheapest route to a AMC 6 barrel intake is the Indy Mod Man. 

Or you have to go custom and custom isnt cheap.  I think if you send Hogan a performer or other cheap intake they can build off the base and save you some money.  Has been a few years since I spoke with them about it.

I see $3500 cross rams so $4000 for custom built intake.....designed for your exact motor.....doesnt seem that ridiculous to me.

Date Posted: Nov/04/2018 at 8:52am

Saw this on Facebook

Date Posted: Nov/04/2018 at 9:36am
I think they need a new potato to take pictures with LOL

It looks WAY cooler than I though it would with the 3x Holley's tho Clap

Is that a Hogan intake?

^If yes I bet it goes as good as it looks! Star

Originally posted by Javelin_GT Javelin_GT wrote:

I think if you send Hogan a performer or other cheap intake they can build off the base and save you some money.  Has been a few years since I spoke with them about it.

I see $3500 cross rams so $4000 for custom built intake.....designed for your exact motor.....doesnt seem that ridiculous to me.

I would bet real money that a properly designed Hogan 3x2 intake would outperform an original Crossram as well!

Coolness factor is hard to weigh,
so retaining resale value would be the only sure place I can see a Crossram beating a custom 3x2 intake in the future.

-------------

Posted By: pfordamx
Date Posted: Nov/05/2018 at 11:30am
I actually priced a hogan one just like the car craft piece is about 3000 not 4000. with a flat top its about 2500.

Posted By: joelash1
Date Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 11:55am
I have a TRACO 2-4Bbl AMC manifold that I'm hoping to put on a 390-68 AMX.  I assume these manifolds were meant for Carter/Edelbrock carburetors.  Is this right??
Also, there is a threaded hole in the back about where the Heater Control Valve would normally be.  Is this used for some sort of Crankcase Ventilation??
Any other info would be helpful.
Thanks!!!

I have photos but can't figure out how to paste.

Date Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 12:45pm
On other forum that is pretty defunct now there was a guy who went by the name HILLBILLYBOB.  He had a TRACO 2x4 intake on his AMX road racer.

Does yours have a removable top?

Posted By: 6speedamc
Date Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 8:22pm
Got mine back yesterday...

-------------
64290Americanconv-ForSale
69Jav390-DadboughtNew!
69BBBJav3904spModpkg-ForSale
69BBBAMX
SC/R-A,RWBMachine,TAJav
70BBB3904spAMX-ForSale
70BBOAMX
70BBGDonohue
SC360,72GremlinX3905spd
72P.C.Jav/AMX74AMX

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Dec/12/2018 at 6:27am
Work of art!!!

Posted By: bobsterfl
Date Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 7:03pm
Back in the day, there was a company called Man-A-Fre that made a manifold using four Rochester two barrels in a staggered arrangement, with one caarb directly over each pair of intake ports.  I can't recall if they ever made anything for AMC's or not.

-------------
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight

Posted By: bobsterfl
Date Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 7:08pm
Check out this site also on the Bill Kraft Rambler fitted with four two barrels.

http://jubileejeeps.org/327/418.htm" rel="nofollow - http://jubileejeeps.org/327/418.htm

-------------
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight

Posted By: joelash1
Date Posted: Jan/10/2019 at 5:58pm
I think I replied before but yes, it has a removable top.

Posted By: jtsllc1
Date Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 9:23pm

-------------
JTSLLC1

Posted By: kenoshakicker
Date Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 4:39am
Originally posted by bobsterfl bobsterfl wrote:

Check out this site also on the Bill Kraft Rambler fitted with four two barrels.

http://jubileejeeps.org/327/418.htm" rel="nofollow - http://jubileejeeps.org/327/418.htm

This has probably been asked before but ....is Bill Kraft's rambler still around today?

Posted By: jamx70
Date Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 11:53am
That is cool top for cross ram, never saw one of those before
Who manufactured it?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net