Print Page | Close Window

hard starting when motor gets warmed up

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made I-6 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95582
Printed Date: Apr/19/2024 at 4:30am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: hard starting when motor gets warmed up
Posted By: its RJ
Subject: hard starting when motor gets warmed up
Date Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 12:55pm
hi .. have a 1969 rambler with a 199 6 cylinder with a carter rbs 1 barrel carb .. put a 1/2 spacer between carb and manifold to keep heat away from carb .. didn't help .. figure gas is getting warm and causing hard warm engine starts .. any ideas ..thanks

-------------
1969 220 2 door post
1976 hornet hatch - 5speed

Replies:
Posted By: FSJunkie
Date Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 1:40pm
We have to establish what "hard" is.

When you go to start the engine hot, first push the throttle half open before you crank the starter and hold the throttle there as you crank. Release the throttle after it starts. 

They should start in 5 seconds, maybe a little longer if it's a really hot day. That is normal for just about all carbureted engines and that is the normal starting procedure for them. If it's taking much longer than that, we can say it is starting "hard". 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Posted By: vinny
Date Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 1:42pm
Same symptoms here with a 232 2 barrel WCD carb. It does start a lot better after it has cooled down.  

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 11:45pm
i disagree on that being "normal for a carbureted car". each fall i set the choke one not richer, then leaner in spring. one press of the pedal to set the choke/fast idle, crank, starts in one second. i don't get a lot of cold here, but a lot of hot. no difference in 110F weather.

hot starting shoudl be BETTER than cold start. lubricants are closer to operating viscosity, gas puddles less, etc. spark is spark.

less than that and something is wrong. my partners' 72 258ci hornet with YF, which gets at best an annual tuneup and no more, is the same. ditto all my carb cars back 20 years.

my 63 american did have a "vapor lock" type problem, if it was parked after a very long desert/highway run. it would start fine, but "run dry"  about 20 seconds later, for about 5 seconds. scare the crap out of me after pulling back into the road. solved it by replacing steel line under the hood with rubber (heat soak).

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Posted By: FSJunkie
Date Posted: Jul/31/2018 at 4:05am
Allow me to be more specific. In my experience on quite a few carbureted cars...

Most will hot start with just a quick flick of the key if they are started within a few minutes of being shut off. Yes.

However, if they sit for more than a few minutes after being shut off hot they will take excessive cranking to restart unless the throttle is held partially open while cranking. Doing so will make them start in less than five seconds in most cases. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later. It's caused by heat soak vaporizing the fuel in the carb itself. The vapor partially floods the engine. A few seconds of cranking with the throttle open a little clears out the excess vapor so the engine can start faster than with the throttle closed. 

These are engines that have nothing wrong with them other than being restored to stock. It's just how a lot of them are. Many owner's manuals actually say to hold the throttle partially open for hot starts too. 

I do it so much that it's an ingrained habit. I sometimes mistakenly hold the throttle partially open on an EFI car when I hot start it because I drive carburetors most of the time. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Posted By: its RJ
Date Posted: Jul/31/2018 at 10:30am
thank you for your info and help .. bob

-------------
1969 220 2 door post
1976 hornet hatch - 5speed

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Jul/31/2018 at 11:36am
Other then the above mentioned fuel and carb, heat:
- can make a weak battery or alternator provide less current, what's the voltage cold, running, hot
- can increase resistance in the starting motor, might want to have it checked if nothing else solves your problems.

Posted By: Thikstik
Date Posted: Aug/08/2018 at 9:35am
I doubt this is happening to you, but when i used the Holley spacer gasket (1/4 thick) on my 390 cfm, i would get some very rich hot soak starts. So, perhaps its those gaskets.   i reckon they seal better when hot soaked due to expansion, thereby richening mixture too much at times.  Then when cooler, they settle to where carb was set. So ironically, a leaking base gasket/s can set this scenario up causing an overly rich mix.   

-------------
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

Date Posted: Aug/08/2018 at 9:36am
tomj, You made the hotrod Power tour I do believe?!!

-------------

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

Date Posted: Aug/08/2018 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Thikstik Thikstik wrote:

tomj, You made the hotrod Power tour I do believe?!!

yup. 6500 miles. drove it hard-ish, 65 - 70 mph (195.6 OHV, remember!), changed jets New Mexico to Oklahoma (continental divide and mountains, 4000 ft and over), three quarts of oil (a quart every 2000). changed when i got home.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/08/2018 at 10:24pm
a cheap test to see if it's carb heat soak is easy -- if you know the time window where it's hard to start, when you park the car leave the hood open. that'll let it cool much faster.

if that fixes/reduces the problem, there you go. if not...

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 7:58am
Ha COOL!  I got pics of her in my fone as we speak.  I didnt ever find the Wisconsin crew with the sportabout and Hornet 360.  Congrats man.

-------------

AC/PS/PDB.

Date Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 8:27am
Can you say what mileage you got?  I cant recall T-5's overdrive.

-------------

AC/PS/PDB.

Posted By: 73Gremlin401
Date Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 8:35am
The other thing that causes hot-start issues in the summertime is ethanol-blended fuels.  Our cars were not designed with that in mind, and these fuels percolate more easily, causing vapor issues.  I've found that just making sure that I only put fuel in my carburetor equipped cars with non-ethanol blended fuels completely solves the problem.

to find places that sell non-blended fuel, I use the 'pure gas' app on my phone.  Works great, especially when traveling.

-------------
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Posted By: 71 Javelin AMX O.O.
Date Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 11:39am
not a hot start problem, but thought I would ask anyway to keep this tread going on carbuators..
I recently had a heater hose give way and blew antifreeze all over the engine compartment.  I cleaned up all that was visable and noticed that some antifreeze actually got into the air filter housing.  Cleaned that up.  Then I noticed that when cold started I had to give it gas to get it to idle.  No fast idle.  So I opened the choke cover and sure enough there was antifreeze inside the housing.  I cleaned everything with carb cleaner, and it started up like it did before the hose break.  I'm hoping I got the carb outside and inside cleaned up.  I'm guessing the sticky antifreeze was screwing up the linkages and choke spring. 
Anything else I should be looking for that may give me problems, in the future?  I took the PVC valve out and blew carb cleaner through that and it rattled like it's suppose.  Cleaned out the carb vacumn lines, too.
Steve
1971 Javelin AMX

Date Posted: Aug/10/2018 at 12:00am

i got 22.7 MPG over the 6500 mile drive! i'm happy with that.  i got the close-ratio T5 from Modern Drivelines. rare for me to buy such a fancy part! totally worth it. 

5th is 0.73, axle is 3.43:1, tires are 24". i drove 65 to 75, 2300 to 2600 rpm.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/10/2018 at 12:53pm
That is still better by 1 or 2 MPG than an 07 Volvo XC90 with an equivalent sized engine. My 64 Classic with a 232 gets about the same as the Volvo. I have a feeling that with frequent starts when hot the Rambler mileage would be worse.

Date Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 12:10am
i generally run the cheapest gas i can find, nearly always with ethanol, and have zero troubles. all hoses are new, so no hose issues.  tank is clean, that helps. on the power tour i ran midgrade, as a sort of magic talisman to ward off pinging (probably a waste of money). not had fuel related problems in many years. compression was raised to 9:1 too. lots of spark timing.

i'm sorry to be argumentative, but all our carb cars are instant start, or two, three seconds cranking after they've sat long enough for fuel to dissipate, multiple days, (is what i assume is happening). hot start, cool start (we don't get cold here), no matter.

carbs require a lot of attention, relative to FI. and its true, as carbs wear and get old they get weird and hard to tune -- the metal wears, surface finishes degrade and emulsions and surface films on old carbs don't work as well as new carbs. sometimes rebuilts are just fine, sometimes they never work out. junk unrebuildable carbs need to be thrown out.

personally, YMMV, etc, i just gave up on old carbs, the castings themselves mysteriously deteriorate. i buy new carbs only. they last "forever" (i did sell my 4, 5 year old Weber 32/36 to buy a Weber 38/38, and i might replace it with the larger IDF 44). that's work and not appropriate for all cars.

my only point is start issues are not simply life with a carb. carbs work great, but they have to be kept in top notch shape, from tank to hose to pump to casting to spark timing.

we have a '72 Hornet with a 258 and a rebuilt Carter YF on it that's now 6? 8? 10? years old. it starts with one flap of the pedal and crank for under 1 second, on fast idle, drive off.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 11:16am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

i got 22.7 MPG over the 6500 mile drive! i'm happy with that.  i got the close-ratio T5 from Modern Drivelines. rare for me to buy such a fancy part! totally worth it. 

5th is 0.73, axle is 3.43:1, tires are 24". i drove 65 to 75, 2300 to 2600 rpm.

Thats about as good as it gets...great combo.  I always say that my Gremmy would be such a nice long range car if it had one more gear. Of course, same is true for any 1:1 old car. Is your engine aluminum or iron?

-------------

AC/PS/PDB.

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 9:38pm
RJ,
Found and fixed the problem yet?
The thread is going sideways.

Posted By: Rambled
Date Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 4:43am
I have a 67 rambler, starts great cold but when it gets hot it breaks up really bad, stumbles and dies. I can restart it but it stumbles at idle. 

Date Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 8:46am
I have a 350 with a quadrajet that when hot it starts immediately after one compression stroke so I don't think it is common to all carbs. In fact it starts faster than my FI vehicles. The Rambler starts like that too sometimes but there are some hot start conditions that seem to trip it up.

Posted By: jdarosa
Date Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Rambled Rambled wrote:

I have a 67 rambler, starts great cold but when it gets hot it breaks up really bad, stumbles and dies. I can restart it but it stumbles at idle. 

What engine/tranny? I have a ’68 with 232/1BBL Holley and similar issues. Have you checked vaccuum leaks? I had a slight leak around the throttle shaft. Turned the idle speed up a quarter turn and it solved it, until I can get a better/new carb.

Good luck.

-------------
1968 American 440 – 232/AT 4dr

Posted By: Mr_Roboto
Date Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 8:25pm
Somewhat of a long shot but did you check your base timing? If it's too high it can cause a hot hard start.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net