Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 6:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: T/A Racing
Posted By: AMXFSTBK390
Subject: T/A Racing
Date Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 2:12pm
Trans Am Racing with AMC MOPAR F**D

-------------
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?

Replies:
Posted By: CamJam
Date Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 2:49pm
One of my favorite childhood memories was attending the 1970 Trans Am race at Riverside.  My mom took me, as my dad traveled overseas a lot during those days.  We had the best seats in the house at the top of Turn 6, and it was a classic Parnelli Jones, Mark Donohue battle. Penske was just beginning to find their legs with the Javelin and Donohue finished 3rd (Mustangs were 1 & 2) but Mark gave Parnelli a run for his money. Parnelli got knocked off the track at one point but came back to win. I read somewhere that he considered it one of his best races ever.

-------------
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Posted By: 343sharpstick
Date Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 8:44am
I was recently fortunate to see some of these cars at Road America as the Historic TA group attended the Vintage event held there. Obviously the two 1970 Javelins weren't present (In the 1970 form anyway).
The famous #6 71 Javelin was present, and it won the day. So that was fun to watch.
The #2 RWR car was also there. So I suppose to some small extent one of the 1970 Javelins was there

Posted By: GnipGnop4
Date Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 11:15am
Great stuff. I just bought a 1970 Javelin that ran in several HSR events in the mid 2000s. My son and I plan to freshen her up a bit and have her out later this year at some track days at Willow Springs. Long range plan is to get my racing license and get her back out in some vintage events. It's been running at Sebring for the last 12 years. It's on a transport right now headed west. I should have it in the garage next to my '69 AMX by mid week. Needless to say, I'm pacing around like an expectant father

Posted By: THE MENACE
Date Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

One of my favorite childhood memories was attending the 1970 Trans Am race at Riverside.  My mom took me, as my dad traveled overseas a lot during those days.  We had the best seats in the house at the top of Turn 6, and it was a classic Parnelli Jones, Mark Donohue battle. Penske was just beginning to find their legs with the Javelin and Donohue finished 3rd (Mustangs were 1 & 2) but Mark gave Parnelli a run for his money. Parnelli got knocked off the track at one point but came back to win. I read somewhere that he considered it one of his best races ever.

Small world Cam!! I was at that race too!! Previous years I sat in the stands, but I think I spent most of the time in the pits with my dad that year. Those were good times!!!    

-------------
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.

Posted By: 70amcpwr
Date Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by GnipGnop4 GnipGnop4 wrote:

Great stuff. I just bought a 1970 Javelin that ran in several HSR events in the mid 2000s. My son and I plan to freshen her up a bit and have her out later this year at some track days at Willow Springs. Long range plan is to get my racing license and get her back out in some vintage events. It's been running at Sebring for the last 12 years. It's on a transport right now headed west. I should have it in the garage next to my '69 AMX by mid week. Needless to say, I'm pacing around like an expectant father

Is it the Javelin that was on ebay?

-------------
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX

Date Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 1:05am
I raced SCCA during the 90s, and there used to be a humpster in Trans-Am livery that would run at Phoenix sometimes. I somehow thought that the Randalls (of Gremlin 401-XR fame) had something to do with it. Does anyone know of this car or its whereabouts?

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 8:24am
Yes, the one posted a few months back.

Date Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 8:41am

The blue one I assume. I was waiting for it to hit $20k, figured if I set an unrealistic number I wouldn't be tempted. Looks like it will be a lot of fun and a good deal.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 8:52am

Posted where?

-------------

Posted By: klvn8r
Date Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 5:40pm
I'd love to measure the #6 1971 car against the #2 '1972' car.  Since the number 2 started life as a 1970 Penske, it 'should' have a 1" shorter wheelbase than the #6 car sitting in front of it.  In my mind, I can kinda see a slight difference in the quarter window shape. 

klvn8r

Date Posted: Aug/04/2018 at 8:02am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Posted where?

If it's the one I saw it was on ebay on and off for a while.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 9:56pm
It was on Ebay back in June/July.  The auction closed without it hitting the $25K reserve so I started contacting the owner and we worked out a deal.  I'm going through the brakes and safety equipment, but should have it running at WSR next month for a Track Day with All Time Racing and possibly the Big Bore Bash on the weekend (November 10-11).

Date Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 10:51pm

It was on Ebay back in June/July.  The auction closed without it hitting the $25K reserve so I started contacting the owner and we worked out a deal.  I'm going through the brakes and safety equipment, but should have it running at WSR next month for a Track Day with All Time Racing and possibly the Big Bore Bash on the weekend (November 10-11).

Nice score!!

-------------

Posted By: Javelin_GT
Date Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 9:16am
I used to own this car back around 2004.

Date Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 9:26am
I was hoping to connect with some past owners. PM me. I have some questions about the car’s history, etc.

Date Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 6:26pm
Please don't keep it a secret, Great car!  

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 7:19pm
No secret, 70amcpwr. Javelin_GT emailed me his recollection of the cars history and I'm happy to share what details I have. The car was in NH briefly(your home state) and the gentleman that I bought it from is from NH with a residence in Sebring, FL where he garaged the car.

History is that it was converted into a racecar around 1990 by a guy in Portland, OR. He sold it to someone in CA who had if briefly before it was bought by Adam (Javelin_GT). Adam owned it in the mid 2000s and then sold it to a guy in NY/NJ, Jerome Jacalone, who raced it in HSR events then sold it when he got into CCR Ferrari racing and Porsches (Gotham Racing). The Javelin spent the last 10 years racing around Florida, Canada, Colorado and California (2008 - 2018). Mark, who I bought it from, owned a 1970 Javelin when he was in the Army (he's a HUGE Mark Donohue fan both CanAm and Trans-AM era)

Anyway, except for exploding the 401 that was part of the earlier build, Mark didn't 'modify' too much. It has a stout 360 that was put in the car around 2010. I have a freshly build 390 on a stand that I may drop in next year and rebuild the 360. I'm just starting down this road of vintage racing, so next month I will be getting an education from the VARA folks and then making decisions on the set up for 2019.

Thanks for your interst. My son and I are thrilled to be the new owners of this Javelin.

Godspeed,

Robert

Posted By: 343sharpstick
Date Posted: Nov/26/2019 at 2:18pm
Found a few new pictures on the inter-webs today...

Date Posted: Nov/26/2019 at 3:47pm
Find it interesting the last photo of the Sunoco Javelin has four lug wheels.    

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/26/2019 at 5:08pm
That's going to be a lot of fun, kicking my self real Hart daily for not pursuing it. Best of luck.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 10:20am
@70amcpwr, keep us all posted when you start your '69 AMX project.  I'm assuming perhaps in the springtime when the East thaws out....  Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 8:28am
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

Find it interesting the last photo of the Sunoco Javelin has four lug wheels.    

All part of the unfair advantage Mark Donohue wrote about in his book.

Four less lug nuts to remove and install when changing wheels/tires during a race.

This was before center locks became popular and were allowed by the rules.

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Date Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 11:56am
Yeah. Mark Donohue did some sly things before 1971. In 1971 the rules changed . See Rule Book: 
Tires, wheels, suspension Rule 1, item d.  

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 12:09pm

Yeah. Mark Donohue did some sly things before 1971. In 1971 the rules changed . See Rule Book: 

It wasn't a rules violation at the time.

Not like acid dipping sheetmetal components was anyway.

Can't remember if that was Ford or Dodge got caught doing that.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 1:36pm
Dodge race team manager acid-dipped the1970 Challenger body. The roof collapsed on Sam Posey's head during a race. Too long in the acid bath? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 4:40pm
I'll start a post if and when I get started. Got all the parts, short on time. Why is it the older we get the less time we have? I've had it for a couple of years now, don't know if I'll get started on it next year or not. I start it every couple of months and drive it down our private road to keep the brakes free and everything moving Sitting on the bead spread I have folded up on the floor makes the 4 speed a bit of a challenge. Happy Holidays

-------------

Posted By: CHAR
Date Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 5:58pm
Other than the rule book of the time, is there a collection of tech info/photos/how too's online or off on how to build one of these as a replica racer?  I bought a '72 Javelin SST to play with and keep me from thinking too hard about converting my '70 Boss 302 in a T/A car.  If I knew where one might show up at a show Id be up and take a million picts and measurements.

-------------
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.

Date Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 7:56pm
Maybe Kenosha Homecoming 2020 is in your future. Might get lucky and #6 Javelin will exhibit again. 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

It wasn't a rules violation at the time.

Not like acid dipping sheetmetal components was anyway.

Can't remember if that was Ford or Dodge got caught doing that.

Penske did that too.  Donohue writes about it in his book.  One time they overdid it and had to put a vinyl roof on the car to hide the ripples in the sheet metal. When they took the car off the trailer everyone knew something was up, but they couldn't be sure just what.

My favorite was when they added legs to the fueling rig after the race had started to raise it way up in the air. The rules said nothing about the height so they'd found a loophole. Donohue said when he came into the pits for fuel it was like someone threw a couple bags of cement in the trunk.  As I recall that only lasted one race before the SCCA outlawed it.

Another good one was using engine vacuum to retract the brake calipers. They had to change brakes during a race in those days and it cut the replacement time way down.  Took the competition a few races to figure out how they were changing brake pads so quickly. LOL

I worked on the Indy Car circuit for a few years.  Some of the AJ Foyt stories I heard from old timers were unbelievable, lol.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by CHAR CHAR wrote:

Other than the rule book of the time, is there a collection of tech info/photos/how too's online or off on how to build one of these as a replica racer?  I bought a '72 Javelin SST to play with and keep me from thinking too hard about converting my '70 Boss 302 in a T/A car.  If I knew where one might show up at a show Id be up and take a million picts and measurements.

Talk to Wayne Davis, coloradoamx here on the forum.  He has a nearly perfect replica of the '71 Penske Javelin.  It was at the 2014 Kenosha homecoming.  It looked flawless to me in 2014, and he's been making it even more authentic as he goes. To my eyes it looks like Roger Penske himself prepped it. I think he's even had the engine built as close to the Traco original as possible.

Check this thread out:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/ta-javelin-5-ltr_topic92882_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/ta-javelin-5-ltr_topic92882_page1.html

-------------

Posted By: Javelin_GT
Date Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 9:24pm
I read a story with the Penske Camaro's where they weighed the same car twice by switching the numbers.  So one car was legal and the other was not.  They just sent the legal car to inspection two times with each set numbers.  Not sure how true that is but that's the story.

Posted By: Steve_P
Date Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Javelin_GT Javelin_GT wrote:

I read a story with the Penske Camaro's where they weighed the same car twice by switching the numbers.  So one car was legal and the other was not.  They just sent the legal car to inspection two times with each set numbers.  Not sure how true that is but that's the story.

That's mentioned in The Unfair Advantage; IIRC, the cars were legal weight even if acid dipped. Per Donohue, they did this because with the shell lighter they could add weight to the rear of the car for better balance. But they still met the required minimum weight.
I need to read it again as it's been years.

Date Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 8:48am
The other reason the dipped sheetmetal parts, especially the roof, was to get the center of gravity lower.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net