Print Page | Close Window

Hot Rod Power Tour -- Attending???

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Upcoming Shows and Events
Forum Description: AMC related shows, auctions or events go here. Announce club events here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93665
Printed Date: Apr/18/2024 at 6:00am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hot Rod Power Tour -- Attending???
Posted By: farna
Subject: Hot Rod Power Tour -- Attending???
Date Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 6:18am

So, who all is planning to attend? Thought about doing the Darlington/Raleigh/Charlotte leg, but decided to just attend the two events closest to home, Darlington and Charlotte. TomJ and I are planning on meeting up at least at Darlington. If you plan on attending post a phone number so we can get in touch with you at one of those two... and other attending AMCers can contact each other along the way. I have a shop available between Hampton and Darlington if someone gets in trouble. About 18 miles (20 minutes) from I-20 exit 39 (Fairview Road). So it's not an easy tow, but I have a lift available and there are parts stores within five miles.

If you don't want to post your phone number, send it to me in a PM with your e-mail address and name (not just handle here!) and I'll send an e-mail out to everyone a few days before the 9th.

My name/number: Frank Swygert, 803-604-6548. Call me if you get to Darlington. Might set up a dinner meeting somewhere, but most close-by restaurants are likely to be full.

Here is the list of venues and dates. Register at http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/" rel="nofollow - http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/ . You will need your car license plate number.

• Saturday, June 9 – Bowling Green, KY
  • Beech Bend Raceway Park
  • Drag racing and autocross available for registered vehicles (FREE with registration)
  • Sunday, June 10 –Chattanooga, TN
  • Chattanooga State Community College
  • Monday, June 11 – Hoover, AL
  • Hoover Metropolitan Stadium
  • Autocross available for registered vehicles (FREE with registration)
  • Tuesday, June 12 – Hampton, GA
  • Atlanta Motor Speedway
  • Drag racing and autocross available for registered vehicles (FREE with registration)
  • Wednesday, June 13 – Darlington, SC
  • Darlington Raceway
  • Thursday, June 14 – Raleigh, NC
  • PNC Arena
  • Friday, June 15 – Concord, NC
  • zMAX Dragway
  • Drag racing available for registered vehicles (FREE with registration)

-------------
Frank Swygert

Replies:
Posted By: Saz2686
Date Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 7:43am
I would love to attend the Chattanooga show, if I get my rear main seal / oil leak done by then. I have a garage and a decent tool collection at my house in Manchester TN which is half way between Nashville and Chattanooga. If you are traveling from bowling green to Chattanooga on I-24 (which you probably will be) I am only 7 miles from I-24. Will update my attendance status. Call if you need help 908-601-5883 - Scott. . Saz2686@gmail.com

TRAFFIC ADVISORY! Bonaroo music festival in Manchester TN June 7 - 10. I-24 in Manchester will be slam packed on Saturday / Sunday. This is the preferred route from bowling green to Chattanooga. Typically Thursday and Friday are the worst for traffic in this area, and the interstate usually flows fairly well the entire time. Stay away from the town of Manchester the entire event. It’s crazy.

-------------
Scott - 73 Javelin. 401 engine. T5Z trans. 3.54 posi

Posted By: wcamp70
Date Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 7:26pm
We're doing the whole tour. Leaving early Saturday morning from northwest Atlanta up I75 to head to bowling green. We'll be in a red 70 amx. There are four vehicles in our group but we are the only amc! Jeff and Lynn

I'll send you a pm with our info.

There was also another thread on here about the power tour too

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
68 American 401 200r4 auto
AMO #5013

Posted By: Bruce Clarkson
Date Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 8:52pm
The wife (Jane) and I are planning to do the whole tour in our yellow 67 Ambo if a couple of things work out. We'll most probably be there and we are looking forward to meeting everyone--- specially AMC'rs.

Bruce Clarkson

-------------
Bruce Clarkson

Posted By: 5spdwagon
Date Posted: Apr/29/2018 at 7:20pm
We had to back out due to family issue and not being able to get any road time on the car. Maybe next time.

-------------
Real hot rods have 3 pedals

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: May/01/2018 at 11:47am
i'm going. driving out from Los Angeles. visiting friends in Santa Fe NM, so i'll leave for Bowling Green from there. out I40, but i plan on driving through the ozarks area, north-ish OK City.

will do some dropping in on the east coast (HI FRANK) (HI MARK) afterwards, head home from there. i'm considering driving to Wilmington SC so that i can drive the exact and entire length of I40 (it ends in Barstow, i'm often there) and take a stop-action movie of the whole drive. why? i dunno :-)

i figure i'll be on the road most of the month of june.

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Date Posted: May/01/2018 at 10:02pm
It's an easy drive from Raleigh to the end of I-40. It's only a few hours. And ony few more from Concord where the end of the power tour is. You end up Wilmington NC though. 😁

Hopefully see you during the tour.

-------------
Bruce Clarkson

Date Posted: May/03/2018 at 1:23am
my only excuse is that NC and SC seem like tiny dots on the map, very far away... once i get closer i'm sure they will become distinctly different :-)

likely i'll see you there!

maybe we should work up a way to contact each other for a get together? i know well-intentioned plans tend to collapse in the chaos of an event like this but we ought to try!

-------------

Date Posted: May/03/2018 at 6:41am
Would be interesting seeing a yellow Ambo and a.... multi-hued 62 American roadster convoying over the country...

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: May/03/2018 at 8:05pm
We will be in this.

Hope to see some amc'ers on the tour!

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Date Posted: May/04/2018 at 12:28am
Originally posted by wcamp70 wcamp70 wrote:

We will be in this.

nice!

i will be in this:

-------------

Posted By: Peter Marano
Date Posted: May/04/2018 at 7:23am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Originally posted by wcamp70 wcamp70 wrote:

We will be in this.

nice!

i will be in this:

That is a lot of contrast for a couple of two seaters!

Posted By: gtoman_us
Date Posted: May/04/2018 at 8:57am
Cool Tom that you are open roading across the country..
Reminds me of my buddy who drove his 29 A Roadster Hot Rod built in 1966. Left in June Newport Beach CA to a Columba's OH back thru Nashville-Texas home end of July.
He only had an open top and unplugged headers and huge 5,000 mile grin!
What he did not have:
Side curtains
Spare tire
AC
Wipers
Chatted it up with him in Des Moines and was a lifetime bucket list and prided himself on being non conventional. RIP

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: May/04/2018 at 1:47pm
Tom,
That's awesome. See you somewhere along the way. Safe travels!

Jeff

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Date Posted: May/04/2018 at 11:27pm
thanks! yeah, i got [vacuum] wipers, so i'm one up on the A! haha. plenty of "AC" though; Nebraska humidity cools you off, right?

-------------

Posted By: gtoman_us
Date Posted: May/05/2018 at 4:36pm
Just a little humid. Should you be passing thru on I-80 you have a place to stay.

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: May/06/2018 at 8:18am
Hope you get the roll bar installed first so you can use a "bikini" top to keep from cooking!!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: May/08/2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

If you plan on attending post a phone number so we can get in touch with you at one of those two...

how'd i miss this?

tom jennings    775-237-3481

i'm driving out from LA, but will stay with friends in Santa Fe NM and head out from there. i plan on driving through the OK panhandle, then through ozarks to bowling green. i intend on being on the whole route.

-------------

Date Posted: May/20/2018 at 9:03pm
Only a few weeks away! Car ready, had to replace a couple of tires, changed the oil.

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Date Posted: May/30/2018 at 8:12pm
Finally got around to registering for the Power Tour. We're in the process of moving to North Carolina so figured we should go. Look for the wife (Jane) and I in a yellow 67 Ambassador 990 with Mass plates. (And stop and commiserate if you see us broken down beside the road.) Current plan is to do the whole thing.

Contact info: 978 502 6750. We'd love to meet more AMC folks--- Particularly since we're moving to NC.

Bruce (and Jane) Clarkson

-------------
Bruce Clarkson

Date Posted: May/30/2018 at 10:22pm
Great Bruce! We will look for you. See you in Bowling Green!

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Date Posted: May/31/2018 at 11:16pm
i'm leaving los angeles on sunday. i'm passing through santa fe NM, visiting friends there, then will head out 6 june wed. i plan on driving through NE new mexico through the OK panhandle, sticking to highways 64, 412, 60 as much as possible and off the inevitable interstates.

-------------

Posted By: dkrtgood
Date Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 9:01pm
Doing the full tour, 70 BBO Donohue
Connected with a few facebook people that are bringing AMC's also

Guy in Texas with Rebel Machine, a rebel wagon and a couple 71-4 Javelins

I will PM you my info

We are leaving Tampa Thursday night to get into BG by hotel check in Friday

-------------
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

Date Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 9:04pm
I had posted on the power tour facebook page, we are doing full tour (Gold) come find the BBO Donohue and come say hi and pick up a free AMC decal for your car!

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Date Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 8:04am
Great. We will see you along the way. We met a few years ago at the Atlanta regional. Talked with you about the t5 conversion. Finally got ours finished and trying it out on this trip.

Jeff and Lynn.   770-595-6165

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Date Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 3:46pm
Leaving Atlanta early AM Saturday heading north on I75.
Safe travels to all who are coming.

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Date Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 6:10pm
Completed the entire tour in the amx! 2100 miles. Met many amc'ers along the way. Pics to come, still recovering from the long trip!

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Date Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 7:16am
Wife and I had a great time. The yellow Ambassador had no problem. A great event. Well worth doing.

Bruce Clarkson

-------------
Bruce Clarkson

Date Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 8:50pm
I attended Darlington and was going to attend Charlotte -- paid for it! BUT... as I was leaving a gas station about 15 miles from home I bumped a curb. Saw I was going to hit it, and instead of backing up a bit and going on decided to just ease up on it. That was fine, but coming off the tire hit hard. Wouldn't think that would bend anything, but it did! Knocked the alignment out enough that it was hard to steer straight... too hard to make an hour and 45 minute trip. So I nursed it home and found a bent control arm.

I cobbled together a rack and pinion system for this car when I built it in 2003, and had to fabricate new steering arms to match the rack and pinion setup. About 2008 I had an issue with a steering arm bending after hitting a curb hard (by accident). I took both arms off and reinforced them. There is an inherent weak spot where the arm has to be notched to fit around the steering knuckle. That is where it bent this time as well. Took the obviously bent side off and welded and added reinforcement. Toe in still isn't quite right, which makes me wonder if the other side is bent some as well. Will take it off later and find out. This is the risk/problem with fabricated components, you sometimes don't know if they are strong enough until pushed to the limit. Same as a drag car -- add power until something breaks, then replace (or repair) with something stronger, only to find the next weak point...

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 5:06am
Oh, in case someone thinks the arm probably bent on front impact... it couldn't have. It was the right front tire that hit, slowly at an angle. Apparently I have the arms reinforced enough for an anticipated front edge hit, but not from the rear outer edge! Toe change was OUT -- would have been IN had it bent on impact. The clearance notch is on the inside... which is the weaker side, so that makes sense also. Bent at the notch.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 5:30pm
2800 miles and made it back home safe and sound, no problems at all, met some great people and had a great time. Got home and slept most of Sunday trying to catch up. Have a load of pictures and video that I need to pull off devices to share.

Bruce and Jeff, it was great to meet up with you guys but being so big it was hard to track people down some days!

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Date Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 3:17pm

Loving the t5z.

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Date Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 10:22pm
Went through fuel receipts from the tour and found that the amx averaged almost 15 mpg for the entire trip which included passes on the drag strips, sitting in traffic, etc.
During some hwy only stretches we averaged 19 mpg at 75 mph with the a/c.

Really enjoyed the trip and look forward to doing it again.

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Date Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 7:07pm
I posted more pics from the PowerTour in the picture section

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Posted By: 1fine69
Date Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 7:49pm
sure wished I could go ...have to work !

Date Posted: Jul/09/2018 at 5:28am
That's why I only went to Darlington. Not as much fun as going to 2-3 venues (or the whole tour), but still worth the trip. Had intended to go to Darlington and Charlotte, but had some car trouble just after leaving home to go to Charlotte.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net