Print Page | Close Window

Rbs carb

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made I-6 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93637
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 3:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rbs carb
Posted By: Jjtxaz
Subject: Rbs carb
Date Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 3:33pm
Ok so I got my trans in and its running good now. Ran into an issue at a light when I tried to floor it and it just stalled. Did that a couple times before I figured out that I have to very lightly ease into it and once I'm going I'm good.

I've adjusted the idle screw and the fuel mixture screws but honestly I've never really messed with a carb before.

I want to get it to where its responsive and doesn't die. It's just a cruiser but I'd like to bring/use it for work (40 miles round trip) .

Any tips, tricks, links to running the carb.

Replies:
Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 3:51pm
The RBS carb is rather notorious for having a weak accelerator pump (or the seal in that pump just gets old and won't do the job).  It sounds to me like that is your problem.  I recommend getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding the carb yourself.   Rebuild kits can be found at Mike's Carburetor Parts (google it) and elsewhere. Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Date Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

The RBS carb is rather notorious for having a weak accelerator pump (or the seal in that pump just gets old and won't do the job).  It sounds to me like that is your problem.  I recommend getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding the carb yourself.   Rebuild kits can be found at Mike's Carburetor Parts (google it) and elsewhere. Joe

Found the kit. Will be ordering it soon. Thank you.

Posted By: FSJunkie
Date Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 2:35am
Opening the throttle wide open from a dead stop and not having the engine hesitate or stall is the hardest thing for a carburetor to do. There is a lot going on and everything about the natural way a carburetor works fights against being able to do that. Everything has to be just right in the carburetor for it to handle that.

Little 1 barrel carbs seem to do it best. They handle being floored from a stop quite well usually. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 6:10am
Yeah, it sounds like the accelerator pump is shot. Easy to see -- pull the air cleaner and look down the carb while you quickly open the throttle (or have someone sit in the car and mash the gas pedal). You should be able to SEE some fuel squirt into the carb. If not, accelerator pump is bad.

Easy enough to install a carb kit. One thing to not, don't use spray brake or carb cleaner inside the carb! It will swell the seals and render them useless. That spray carb cleaner is only intended to be used on the OUTSIDE of the carb. You can get a gallon can of carb cleaner that has a little basket for small parts in it. It's intended to put the carb parts in and let them soak a few hours/overnight. You can use the spray cleaner to blow out passages with the carb apart. It evaporate quick enough that you can blow out, make sure there's no liquid pooled anywhere, wait a couple minutes, then assemble without worrying about messing up the accelerator pump. If you have compressed air available that's better for blowing out passages. Just wear safety glasses -- some holes that look like through passages are blind holes and stuff blows back in your face. Can burn the eyes... need to ask how I know?

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: tomslik
Date Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 6:53am
"Yeah, it sounds like the accelerator pump is shot. Easy to see -- pull the air cleaner and look down the carb while you quickly open the throttle (or have someone sit in the car and mash the gas pedal). You should be able to SEE some fuel squirt into the carb. If not, accelerator pump is bad. "

do NOT do this with the engine running.....

-------------

67 american 290/4speed

Date Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 8:55am
I did test the accelerator pump and it does give fuel. Tweaked it a little more and its a bit better. I ease into it now and it feels smooth. For now it'll do. Brought it to work and she did need brakes though. That'll be this next weekend project.

Posted By: mramc
Date Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 6:47pm
FYI what year and car ? The 1969 RBS has some different parts. The accelerator pump is different for that year only it has some  different parts. Don't know why , but I have one on my base 69 Javelin. LRDaum 

-------------
LRDaum

Date Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 1:21pm
It is on a 1969 AMC Rambler 2 DR with a 199 3.3L I6.

Date Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 5:55pm
Yep, The 1969 RBS is the odd sock of the lot. The accelerator pump shaft has a weird size different from before or after , so the universal kit you'll probably get will not have all the right parts. Most of them but there are not for the odd year. I hope you get the right kit. But if you find the pump and one or two other parts are not right drop me a PM . The kit is available from the outfit in MO. that picked up all the old Carter one and two barrel parts Edelbrock did not  want when they bought all the Carter four barrel stuff. I have to look up the outfit but last I heard they still had the right parts. What I did was I happen to find a rebuilt 1968 RBS redone on sale on EBAY and I replaced my RBS with that one . It was listed for a 1968 199 American but it worked perfectly on my 232 - 1969 Javelin. LRDaum 

-------------
LRDaum

Posted By: purple72Gremlin
Date Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

Yep, The 1969 RBS is the odd sock of the lot. The accelerator pump shaft has a weird size different from before or after , so the universal kit you'll probably get will not have all the right parts. Most of them but there are not for the odd year. I hope you get the right kit. But if you find the pump and one or two other parts are not right drop me a PM . The kit is available from the outfit in MO. that picked up all the old Carter one and two barrel parts Edelbrock did not  want when they bought all the Carter four barrel stuff. I have to look up the outfit but last I heard they still had the right parts. What I did was I happen to find a rebuilt 1968 RBS redone on sale on EBAY and I replaced my RBS with that one . It was listed for a 1968 199 American but it worked perfectly on my 232 - 1969 Javelin. LRDaum 

Interesting. The 1969 also uses a throttle cable. (I have a 1969 199 American)....

Date Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 9:15pm
purple 72Gremlin , your talking apples and oranges : The throttle has a cable but the accelerator is worked by kind of z shaped bar off the throttle linkage that pushes and pulls the accelerator pump up and down. It is a kind of Rube Goldberg arrangement. I'm talking accelerator pump. The shaft size for the pump for some reason unknown to common sense is a different diameter then just about every other RBS carburetor made. No idea why this is so , but the 1969 Carter RBS is an odd dog in that respect. LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Date Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 9:50pm
Im thinking this is the one I need.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter-RBS-Carburetor-Kit--1969-American-Motors_p_687.html

This is the other one I thought might be it:http://www.carburetor-parts.com/RBS-Carburetor-Rebuild-Kit_p_4613.html
And the suggested part with that kit:
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter-RBS-Carburetor-Float_p_27.html

Date Posted: Apr/18/2018 at 11:34am
Yes, The first one I believe . It has the larger accelerator pump shaft from looking at the picture. Just check and see that your RBS is a 1969 Carburetor. Some one could switched it like did. LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Date Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 5:04pm
Here's the carb I got on the 1969 AMC Rambler, inline 6 199ci, 3 speed auto on the column. (Just in case you all forgot the car I'm needed this re build kit for)

https://flic.kr/p/Jnx85W" rel="nofollow - top view

https://flic.kr/p/26rxryw" rel="nofollow - driver side view

https://flic.kr/p/23KosY7" rel="nofollow - passenger side view

Date Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 6:27pm
Any ideas? Don't see any other markings on it.

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 7:11pm
Carter carbs had a three sided tag which identified them, that was attached to one of the upper bowl screws.  Yours appears to be missing.  If you contact Mike's carburetor parts with the information about what the carb supposedly was used on, he may be able to put together a proper carb rebuild kit for your part number.  There may also be a number stamped into the side of the throttle plate (bottom plate) on the carb which might have some chance of being unique to your carb.  Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 7:27pm
I am loving this thread, learning a lot.

I have rebuilt one 1968, 199 ci. Stock rebuild. It had a Holley carb, never could get it to do right. I changed out to a Carter YF. I bought it from O'Reilys. Got a lot of info and parts from Mikes. Put a bigger jet in it and jumped my fuel mileage from 18 to 20 mpg.

The motor was in my 66 American convertible, The Rambler, now it is the power plant in Rapid Delivery.

My "new" 1969 American is an unmolested 199. I am going to check out the carb.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Date Posted: May/03/2018 at 11:41pm
Figured out what carb (4666s RBS Carter 1 bbl) had and ordered the rebuild kit. Fast shipping and great price for the kit.

https://quadrajetparts.com/carburetor-rebuild-4061a-1969-p-1129.html

Thanks to all those that helped.

Date Posted: May/05/2018 at 7:31am
Rebuilt the carb. Only issue I'm having now is the throttle gets stuck.

Look through the service manual didn't see anything referencing stuck throttles. I might have to pull it back off but I should be able to fix it on the car.

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: May/06/2018 at 8:13am
Check the linkage for binding, and the spring for tension. You might just need a slightly stronger spring, or shorten the one on there now (if possible). 

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: May/08/2018 at 9:39pm
does it stick with the pedal linkage detached? eg is it the carb or the linkage?

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Date Posted: May/08/2018 at 9:52pm
It's the linkage. It's the fast idle cam and connector going to the choke leever. I feel the pump plunger assembly is a little stiffer.

My acceleration issue is fixed though it's just sticking. I took it off again to check for free movement but it seems to be a little stiff. Adjusted the pump delay spring to maybe compensate for the tougher plunger. Still getting stuck...

Date Posted: May/09/2018 at 9:08pm
Well I figured it out. I overlooked a spring that connects to the linkage. Only now I'm in need of a fast idle connecting rod and and retainer.

I'm such an idiot. I might have to make one if I cant find it online.

Posted By: rocklandrambler
Date Posted: May/10/2018 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Jjtxaz Jjtxaz wrote:

Well I figured it out. I overlooked a spring that connects to the linkage. Only now I'm in need of a fast idle connecting rod and and retainer.

I'm such an idiot. I might have to make one if I cant find it online.

I think I have an old RBS carb.  Let me check if it still has the rod on it.

-------------
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net