Print Page | Close Window

287 carby trouble

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made V8 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93615
Printed Date: Apr/19/2024 at 1:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 287 carby trouble
Posted By: titan
Subject: 287 carby trouble
Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 2:53am
Hi, I am chasing either parts or information for my rambler classic 770 with a 287 v8. I am having trouble with the engine running rich at medium revs and have diagnosed the power valve in the carby is not working as it should. With a vacuum tester connector to the port that sucks the valve up it only moves some of the time. Is there supposed to be a rubber seal on the piston? Can you buy new parts for this carby? Can I change carbys with out any modifications? Any help would be appreciated.
P.S the carby is a 2209 holly 2 barrel.

Replies:
Posted By: purple72Gremlin
Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 3:33am
I've read on here and seen at shows that you can't get parts that will work with the 2209 Holley. Personally, if a motorcraft will fit, that's what I would do...or change the manifold to the 4bbl.

Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 6:54am
What do you mean by motor raft? What is a bbl?

Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 8:52am
Originally posted by titan titan wrote:

What do you mean by motor raft? What is a bbl?
motorcraft. And bbl is short for how many barrels or venturi...I guess if you had to ask....

Posted By: amcenthusiast
Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 9:04am
They want your old car to die so you are forced to buy a new one.

This topic takes a backseat to airplane owners who are currently upset about rules/laws concerning aviation fuels -where there are many older airplanes currently in use which were not made to run on ethanol blended fuels.

E10 fuel, aka 'Gasohol', is the troublemaker for most fuel system problems on vintage cars; they were not made to run on ethanol blended fuels either.

Ethanol is a type of alcohol and alcohol is more aggressive to destroy all the the 'old school' rubber seals involved with the fuel systems on the older engines.

Any other part connected to the induction system through a vacuum line is also affected by the high evaporation rate, such as the power brake booster and the vacuum advance mechanism on the distributor.

Trying not to write a book on this here, I would first recommend two things:

1) swap to carb that does not employ an 'old school' Holley type power valve mechanism

2) install a 'mini cube' electric fuel pump

---------------------------------------------

There is no bolt on ethanol compatible carburetor for your old Rambler V8 engine.

You will need to make friends with a 'carb guru' who has the know-how and ability to fabricate linkage to fit any one of those carbs which does not have a rubber diaphragm power valve mechanism.

No list:

-any Holley 'modular' style carburetor (all those 2 & 4bbl carbs where the float bowls mount sideways onto the main body with four screws)

-any Autolite or Motorcraft carb that uses the Holley type power valve; the 2100, 2150 and the four barrel versions of the same carb

...the 'other style' Motorcraft four barrel (beginning in '70 on AMC vehicles) is acceptable...

Yes list:

Nearly any Rochester carburetor; they all use metering rods (no way a ruptured rubber power valve diaphragm can leak fuel/solvent into the engine) -most of these 'old school' Rochester carbs were made with a zinc castings which is ethanol compatible. ('Rochester two jet' & 'Quadrajet')

Nearly any 'old school' Carter carburetor*; they all use metering rods/no rubber diaphragm power valve mechanism. These are cast aluminum though which is not fully ethanol compatible. *Definitely not the Carter YF one barrel! The Carter AFB style 4bbl carb is a good choice. Carter Thermoquads usually develop leaks because the plastic body is crack prone. ...plastic: (ugh) a petroleum product cheaper than dirt?

The aluminum bodied Holley 4360 four barrel is highly E10 tolerant (as distinguished from compatible; aluminum itself is not 100% resistant to corrosion caused by use with alcohol/ethanol)

The Jeep 327 Vigilante two barrel Holley carb uses a brass and steel power valve mechanism like the Holley 4360. I believe these were made of cast zinc, which is ethanol compatible.

-------------------------------------------------------

All the 'cup type' accelerator pump seals are of little concern; they won't leak fuel into the intake manifold if they go bad.

All the Holley style rubber diaphragm style accelerator pump seals will leak sooner than later and these will spill fuel onto/into the engine (they were good when we didn't have E10 gas but now they are troubleprone & doomed to leak for list of reasons) -all Holley 'modular style' carbs and all Autolite/Motorcraft carbs with the similar type of accelerator pump diaphragms; the 2100, 2150 the similar looking four barrel versions)

...the constant process of evaporation and refilling the carb with fuel is harder on the rubber parts -it's not as bad for people who drive the particular engine/vehicle on a regular basis because all the rubber parts in the fuel system 'stay wet'...

------------------------------------------------------

Why is there not much information about this on the Internet? (they just want to sell us more carburetor rebuild kits? ...for the whole engine too?)

There is if you search for it; look up 'problems with ethanol gas in old cars' (approximately half the articles are not written by carburetor/fuel system intellectuals though -those articles will have more alarming warnings with less technical chemical, material and metalurgical explanation)

https://generalaviationnews.com/2010/12/16/pilots-comment-on-mogas-and-ethanol/

----------------------------------------------------

Feel free to contact me anytime but I'm constantly busy working on other things lately

-------------
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/

Posted By: Rebel327
Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 6:55pm
There is an acceleration pump in the 2209 that is an "umbrella" style. Any kit i have found has the pump that will not remain viable with modern fuel...ie Alcohol. They degrade and carb does not work well.
IMO..changing to a motorcraft carb from a 70's AMC would work better. This is my experience. Good luck.

Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 8:53pm
We still have an option as to wether or not we use ethanol fuel here in Australia. Does the motorcraft carby bolt straight on?

Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 8:56pm
Yup...just make sure your auto trans kick down linkage adjusted to same position/length. If stick car...run it.

Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 9:01pm
its an auto. Any idea where I might find one? Because we don't need to run ethanol, do you know anyone that knows the hollys or has parts?

Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 9:10pm
They are readily available..check Ebay or Facebook AMC sites or Wanted section here.

Date Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 10:10pm
could you give me more info as to the model of carby?

Posted By: FSJunkie
Date Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 2:33am
Three astronauts died on Apollo I because a young engineer that saw a problem didn't speak up for fear of backlash from senior engineers. However, I at 23 years old am going to speak up because I see a problem even if it gets my head shot off by the older guys around here.

Titan's problem is not an accelerator pump problem. Yes, rubber or leather cup-type accelerator pumps like the 2209 uses are more prone to failure than a diaphragm-type like the Motorcraft carburetors, but that is beside the point. If anything was wrong with titan's accelerator pump, his engine would be lean at tip-in and not rich at steady throttle. He is "rich at medium revs". That is not an accelerator pump cup problem. 

Titan's problem is most likely a power valve problem, as he suggested himself. The 2209 does not use a diaphragm-type replaceable power valve like other Holleys and the Motorcraft carburetors use. There are no rubber parts at all in the 2209 power valve. The 2209 PV system is identical to the system on Rochester 2G carbs. It uses a metal poppet valve threaded into the bottom of the float bowl between the main jets. This poppet valve is opened and closed by a spring-loaded piston located inside the top casting of the carburetor. It is just a metal piston in a metal bore. There are no rubber or leather parts in the entire PV system that can be affected by ethanol. Forget about ethanol.

Besides, I ran a 2209 on my Rambler for years and thousands of miles with ethanol and had no problems what so ever due to ethanol, the same as all my other carbs. I don't believe this ethanol rap. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Date Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 2:56am
thanks for the informative post. I am pretty sure it is the piston not pulling up. It seems a bit worn and sticky in the housing of the carby.I have cleaned it and it did improve. If I improve the vacuum the valve pulls up. I have had the carby to 2 carby experts and they both put kits in it but I don't think they touched the power valve. Can I buy a poppet valve and housing somewhere?

Date Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 3:21am
Originally posted by titan titan wrote:

thanks for the informative post. I am pretty sure it is the piston not pulling up. It seems a bit worn and sticky in the housing of the carby.I have cleaned it and it did improve. If I improve the vacuum the valve pulls up. I have had the carby to 2 carby experts and they both put kits in it but I don't think they touched the power valve. Can I buy a poppet valve and housing somewhere?
Sometimes corrosion gets up into the power valve piston and makes it sticky in its bore. I've had to spray penetrating oil into many of them and work the piston back and forth until they were free. The piston is supposed to be loose in its bore. Engine vacuum can still move it just fine even though it doesn't seal perfectly. I know it seems weird, but it honestly works fine. 

The actual poppet valve in the bottom of the float bowl also needs to move free and seal in the up position (piston pulled in). I have not seen them for sale anywhere, but they usually don't go bad. (Not much to go wrong with one). Just check yours over, clean it, make sure it moves freely, and that no chunks of crud are making it stick. 

Somebody may have changed the main jets and they could be too large. The proper ones have a number 54 or 56 of them. 

As I mentioned, the float bowl gaskets that come in the rebuild kits are not always right. Sometimes they don't seal where they should. I had to make a gasket from scratch for my own 2209. You have to really pay attention to details like that when rebuilding a carb. Not all new parts are correct.

All the talk from the other guys about ethanol destroying carbs is scary to hear, but rest assured that I have a 2209 that I ran on ethanol for years and thousands of miles along with other carburetors much like it and I've had no problems caused by ethanol.

You seem to know quite a bit about carbs and seem to be smart about diagnostics. You should be able to take that 2209 apart and handle this yourself. However, if you can't get the problem licked, ship your 2209 to me. For the cost of shipping, parts, and some money compensation for my time, I will rebuild it for you and return it to you as right as rain. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Date Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 3:28am
Thanks again. I will check it over. I think your reply will be exactly the info I needed

Date Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 3:44am
You're welcome. I hope you get it resolved.

I understand the reasons why other people are recommending to trash the 2209 and replace it with something else, but I've always been a person who would rather repair what I have and make it work properly than replace it with something else. I find life is easier that way. There are better carbs than the 2209, but there is no reason a 2209 cannot run properly and reliably. There is nothing abnormal about it. The 2209 is actually very similar to a Rochester 2G and the 2G is a wonderful carb. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Posted By: akimmet
Date Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 8:32pm
Ugh, too much mis-information about ethanol gas. I live in Ohio, we have been living with ethanol in our gas since the early '90s. This was still back when a significant numbers of carbureted vehicles were still on the road.
Don't get me wrong; E10 sucks, but it isn't the dire story amcenthusiast is painting.

Most of the recent problems people have been having with mechanical fuel pumps is with build quality, not deterioration from ethanol. Using an external electric fuel pump is still far less reliable than using a newly manufactured or recently rebuilt mechanical pump.

Any carburetor kit made by a reputable company in the last 25 years will be safe to use with e10. A Holley 2300 or 4160/4150 rebuilt with a genuine Holley kit is just as ethanol safe as a Rochester or Carter. The green Holley diaphragms actually seem to last longer the piston seals in other designs.

However; this is still a problem for the Holley 2209. It is a somewhat forgotten design. Most kits on the market are wrong/incomplete, and might not have ethanol resistant components.

http://Daytonaparts.com" rel="nofollow - Daytonaparts.com might be the only company making updated carburetor kits for older or unpopular applications like the Holley 2209.
http://Daytonaparts.com" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: amcenthusiast
Date Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 9:56pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLLEY-65-ALCOHOL-E85-POWER-VALVE-AED-BG-DEMON-GRANT-QFT-CARBS/162968596937?epid=1745604867&hash=item25f1af71c9:g:Ij4AAOxyzGlQ7luZ&vxp=mtr

-------------
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 6:25am
That power valve may not fit the 2209. FSJunkie seems to be familiar with the 2209 and states it uses a different power valve than the later Holley 2V and 4V carbs. 

I understand the issue with ethanol gas and cars that sit a long time, but that's not just ethanol gas, it's modern gas. The fuel is engineered to atomize easier for EFI, which also means it evaporates easier. Ethanol enriched gas might evaporate/degrade slightly faster than non-ethanol, but modern non-ethanol gas degrades at about the same rate as ethanol enriched.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: Lucas660
Date Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 8:28am
I have a couple of Holley 2300's on the shelf, both off 287 engines. They are off the earlier models and are a much better carby. Rebuild kits are easily obtained. PM me if you are interested. I am also in Australia.

edit: Replied off page one. I think the main problem in this case is getting parts for it in Australia.

Date Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

That power valve may not fit the 2209. FSJunkie seems to be familiar with the 2209 and states it uses a different power valve than the later Holley 2V and 4V carbs. 

I understand the issue with ethanol gas and cars that sit a long time, but that's not just ethanol gas, it's modern gas. The fuel is engineered to atomize easier for EFI, which also means it evaporates easier. Ethanol enriched gas might evaporate/degrade slightly faster than non-ethanol, but modern non-ethanol gas degrades at about the same rate as ethanol enriched.

This is correct. The 2209 is a completely different design than the newer 2300 series Holley. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/TypicalViews/pages/2209.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/TypicalViews/pages/2209.html

I also agree about modern oxygenated gas, it is the cause of some of the headaches people blame solely on the ethanol.

Date Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 3:07pm
The Holley 2209 and the Rochester 2G are very similar in their design and construction. You will know your way around a 2209 if you've ever messed with a 2G on a GM car. Especially a tri-power that uses three of them. Wink

I did a lot of research in college on how the formulation of gasoline has changed over the years. It is not a short explanation. Partially explaining something but not fully explaining it is how most of the (usually partially correct but mostly wrong) myths about modern gas started. It would be rude of me to derail the original purpose of this post (Holley 2209 problems) with a big essay about how vintage gas compares to modern gas. If that is a discussion we wish to have, I suggest we move it to a separate thread. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Posted By: gtoman_us
Date Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

The Holley 2209 and the Rochester 2G are very similar in their design and construction. You will know your way around a 2209 if you've ever messed with a 2G on a GM car. Especially a tri-power that uses three of them. Wink

I did a lot of research in college on how the formulation of gasoline has changed over the years. It is not a short explanation. Partially explaining something but not fully explaining it is how most of the (usually partially correct but mostly wrong) myths about modern gas started. It would be rude of me to derail the original purpose of this post (Holley 2209 problems) with a big essay about how vintage gas compares to modern gas. If that is a discussion we wish to have, I suggest we move it to a separate thread. 

Full blown tri-power expert here and I agree.

Would really like to read your research.

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 6:50am
I think the problem is solved. I removed the power valve cleaned it up and lubricated it and the engine is running so much better. Thanks for the info and help.

Posted By: rms827
Date Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 5:02am
I'm not sure where you guys are getting that there are no rebuild kits available for the 2 BBL Holly.  They're readily available at Autozone.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/carburetor-kit/gp-sorensen-carburetor-kit/60813_581701_0

Completely agree about ethanol gas too.  BAD juju

On top of everything else, it burns hotter, which promotes oxides of nitrogen.  They, it turn, can cause acid rain.  

-------------
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman

Date Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 5:28am
Originally posted by gtoman_us gtoman_us wrote:

Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Full blown tri-power expert here and I agree.

Would really like to read your research.
Yep, I have a 2GE on my Buick 231 V6. Original carburetor, actually. 
-------------------

My research may be discussed in a private message. I will not discuss it here in public. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Date Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 7:15am
Originally posted by rms827 rms827 wrote:

I'm not sure where you guys are getting that there are no rebuild kits available for the 2 BBL Holly.  They're readily available at Autozone.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/carburetor-kit/gp-sorensen-carburetor-kit/60813_581701_0

That kit is for a Holley 2300, not the Holley 2209. Yet again, the 2209 is a completely different design. At no point in the thread was it mentioned the 2209 rebuild kits were unavailable, only that most are incorrect or incomplete.

By the way, if at all possible only use a genuine Holley rebuild kit on a 2300. Most of the "parts store" rebuild kits have substandard parts. Since the pump diaphragm and bowl gaskets are black, one has no way of knowing if they are alcohol resistant. At least the kit shown uses the correct style needle and seat. The "tall lock-nut" aftermarket needle and seat assemblies are garbage and will ruin the threads in your float bowls.

Date Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 6:21pm
I got a rebuild kit from Napa for my 2209 about five years ago.   

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Posted By: twdsls2000
Date Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 7:39pm
Does anyone know if this newer Holley 2300 you speak of will bolt right onto my existing 287 2 bbl intake manifold? I have a 66 Rambler 287 here with a very tired and beat 2209 Holley carb. Its been nothing but trouble. I am looking for a new carb that will bolt right onto my existing intake manifold. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Date Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 4:02am
I am fairly sure that the 2300 will bolt to the intake manifold made for the 2209. I'd recommend finding an original Rambler 2300 meant for the Rambler V8 because it will be already sized and calibrated for your engine and not require a bunch of adjustments. It will also have all the connections and linkage configurations that you need. A generic 2300 may not have the right connections including the throttle linkage or transmission cable location. 

I think the 2300 was used before 1965 on the 287, maybe the 327 and 250. In any case, one of them would likely bean easier swap than a generic 2300 or a 2300 from a different application.

The Motorcraft 2100 or 2150 will bolt to the 2209 intake, I know that much. The linkge could be mde to work with little trouble. The 2100 and 2150 are VERY good carburetors if you wish to stick with a 2bbl. 

It is a little more work and cost, but finding the factory 4bbl intake and original 4150 or 4160 carb that matched it is a worthwhile swap. I replaced my 2209 with a factory 4bbl intake and matching 4160 with excellent results. It runs a lot better than the 2209, even though there was nothing wrong with my 2209. The 4160 is simply a far superior carb. So is the 2300. So is the 2100/2150. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Date Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 9:38am
While you can still get an all new Holley 350CFM 2300 (List #7448 & #80350), I agree with FSJunkie.

Try looking for a Holley 2300 for an AMC 250-327 first. The next best thing would be an Autolite 2100/2150 from an AMC 290-304 or a Ford 221-302.

Date Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 2:21pm
Thanks for the info FSJunkie. My goal was to get a 4bbl intake manifold off a 327 which should bolt up fine to my 287 engine. This would allow me a multitude of carb choices. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a 4bbl 327 intake manifold. They seem very scarce. Anyone out there have one they want to sell??

Also, doing an internet search for an original Holley 2300 Rambler has proven unsuccessful as well. I agree that it is all the linkage, transmission and throttle connections on a generic 2300 has me nervous to buy just any 2300.

Car show time is quickly approaching here in Connecticut and I'd love to get this Rambler on the road.

Date Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 12:55am
Your fastest option given your time constraints is probably to make the 2209 work for now.

I forgot to mention that the 2209 uses an odd size air cleaner base. The 2100, 2150, 2300, 4150, and 4160 all use the same (5" IIRC) air cleaner base. Regardless of which carb you chose, you will need a different air cleaner.

4bbl intakes are becoming expensive. You have to be careful about the choke heat stove passage in them too; they seen to have a tendency to corrode inside and allow exhaust to flow into the choke. I've had to plug off both of mine and convert to my own choke heat stove with electric assist.

Original Rambler carbs pop up from time to time, usually for pretty cheap. Cheaper than a new manufacture carb, that is for sure.

The 4bbl swap itself is easy since the manifold doesn't contain coolant passages or seal the lifter valley like the later AMC V8s. The main trouble is locating the manifold, carb, and air cleaner....which all then need to be cleaned, rebuilt/repaired, painted, and reproduction stickers applied. My 2209 to 4160 conversion cost me about $300 by the time I was done. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Date Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 7:16am
The only problem with finding an original Rambler 2300 is they are few and far between, and may be near worn out. You'll have better luck finding a Ford 2100 or 2150. The 2150 is the newest, but only came in two sizes -- 287 (1.08) and 351 (1.21). Either would be good for a 287, with the 351 being my preference. You want a pre 83 model though, as 83-86 models are electronic feedback. The 2150 started being used in 73 model cars.

The 2100 was used longer and more widely, and is a lot easier to find in good condition. There are 8 sizes ranging from 190-424 cfm, with the 245-356 cfm models appropriate for a 287. See http://fordsix.com/ci/CarbChoice.html#2V" rel="nofollow - https://fordsix.com/ci/CarbChoice.html#2V

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 6:19pm
Friend of mine has a 1961 327, and it has the Holley 2300..

Date Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 6:45pm
Thanks again for advice everyone. I appreciate it.
Looks like i’ll be looking for an air cleaner assembly if I go with one of these other carb options.
I just came across this 2300 EFI setup on the Holley website:

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/parts/550-849?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7MTtiYbe2gIVR0SGCh3WNQGXEAQYAiABEgIt1PD_BwE

Perhaps an option for my 287 Rambler with 2209 Holley 2bbl replacement? Ideas? Advice? They show the dimensions for the mount holes on the 2300 in one of the pics there. Anyone have their 2209 carb off and can take measurements to see if it will fit my manifold without me having to remove mine?

Date Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 6:47pm
Not sure if that link works so I’ll try again.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/parts/550-849?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7MTtiYbe2gIVR0SGCh3WNQGXEAQYAiABEgIt1PD_BwE

Date Posted: Apr/29/2018 at 9:00am
The link works, here it is where you can just click on it:
http://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/parts/550-849?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7MTtiYbe2gIVR0SGCh3WNQGXEAQYAiABEgIt1PD_BwE" rel="nofollow - https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/parts/550-849?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7MTtiYbe2gIVR0SGCh3WNQGXEAQYAiABEgIt1PD_BwE

To get a clickable link highlight the link after you paste it in then click on the little globe icon. That will open a pop-up (won't if you have pop-ups disabled!) window. Just click on "ok" in the window.

The 4V system is only $150 more, but you would have to get an intake. I'd think the 2300 EFI system would work well on the 287 for a street cruiser. The Holley system should be easy to set up, and you will eliminate a few issues people have with carbs and modern gasoline. It's the overall formulation of the gasoline, not just the added ethanol that most people blame issues on. Gasoline is formulated a lot differently than it was in the 60s and 70s -- even non-ethanol gasoline will cause some issues.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Apr/29/2018 at 12:25pm
Thanks for the help on the clickable link. Forum novice here. Lol. The more i look at this 2300 EFI setup, the more I’m leaning towards it. Especially if I can use my existing manifold and it bolts right up.
Here’s dimensions of the EFI 2300 from their website:

Anyone got their Holley 2209 carb off or a spare one around and can verify it will fit?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net