Print Page | Close Window

I Hate Rust

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Body/Interior
Forum Description: Paint, glass, interior, rust, sheetmetal goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93283
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 3:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: I Hate Rust
Posted By: Rebel Machine
Subject: I Hate Rust
Date Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 8:55pm
Finished installing a new quarter on the passenger side of my Machine now I've moved to the driver's side. Sadly it's much worse.

Anyone been in a series 10 chassis this deep before?

-Steve-

Replies:
Posted By: Lyle
Date Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 9:50pm
Wow, looks good to me, wish mine looked that good when taken apart, but I'm from Ontario eh!

Posted By: billd
Date Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 10:17pm
Don't love rust but it's a fact of life in Iowa.......... that's why my cars get parked the very first time they slime the roads with their car destroying slime.

Looks like some fabrication is needed here - at least it's in an area where you can replace structure and not be concerned about exacting appearance. 

-------------

http://theamcpages.com" rel="nofollow - http://theamcpages.com

http://antique-engines.com" rel="nofollow - http://antique-engines.com

Date Posted: Mar/28/2018 at 6:32pm
Peeling back the onion.

Posted By: purple72Gremlin
Date Posted: Mar/28/2018 at 9:01pm
I sure understand it. I hate rust. My 72 Gremlin has rust...

Posted By: vinny
Date Posted: May/08/2018 at 11:05am
At least it is sitting on the jack stand.

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: May/09/2018 at 12:42am
I hate rust to but looks like you have a handle on it good luck

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Date Posted: May/13/2018 at 5:29pm
Got some updated pics of the repair work so far.

-Steve-

More rot removal & replacement.

Fabricated a replacement section from the structure side of a sill panel I cut from a parts car 20+ years ago.

Should have it burned in this week.

Date Posted: May/14/2018 at 6:05pm
Installed section this eve. Next I'll make a replacement inner skin then I'll get started on the wheel house area.

Posted By: rms827
Date Posted: May/14/2018 at 6:23pm
Nice work, Rebel.  Wish I had any kind of skill at fabrication and welding like that.  Thumbs Up

-------------
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman

Date Posted: May/14/2018 at 7:35pm
Thanks! It's not as difficult as it might seem. You have to think your way through the process more than anything. Once you develop a plan doing the work doesn't seem so tough.

-Steve-

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: May/16/2018 at 11:39am
Knowledge, experience and lots of tools and equipment certainly help when restoring cars.

Great looking work !

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Date Posted: May/20/2018 at 7:58am
Re-purposed a section of the quarter I cut off for the inner skin.

Posted By: First_Gear
Date Posted: May/20/2018 at 1:40pm
That looks nice. I should have posted pictures from my cowl repair. jeesh took me a couple months. Kudos on grinding all the welds flat I know how long that takes even with a good grinder.. I  only ground the ones flat where I thought it could trap water. Gah.. my quarter is rusted too the whole wheel arch. I have a section from a parts car. Just more WORK!

Date Posted: May/20/2018 at 3:12pm
Burned it in today. Next I'll attack the rocker since it's rotted where it meets the quarter. That'll probably be another thread.

-Steve-

Posted By: scott
Date Posted: May/20/2018 at 3:20pm
Steve, keep all your work in one thread. It is a lot easier to follow along with your progress that way.

Date Posted: May/21/2018 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Steve, keep all your work in one thread. It is a lot easier to follow along with your progress that way.

That's probably true..... I did the firewall repair and passenger side quarter in separate threads. Figured it wouldn't be so cumbersome to have everything I'm doing in one giant thread. Probably should have started this one in the "Member Projects" section. Initially I just wanted to show the rust but continued with the repair. Guess I'll keep adding since it's all rust related.

Did some exploratory surgery on the rockers. Appears the driver's side rocker was covered over long ago. Don't know what they used to adhere the top layer but you can see the original rocker skin still in blue where it wasn't sanded away.

Date Posted: May/22/2018 at 7:21pm
Stripped off the paint and filler from the driver's side rocker panel and sure enough, there was a skin spot welded on half the length of the rocker at some point in the past.

Got some replacement panels, one original AMC and another reproduction. The reproduction doesn't have the radius quite right so I may have to make a buck out of a 4"x4" piece of wood to form it.

Date Posted: May/24/2018 at 7:56pm
Shaped a form out of a 4"x4" piece of wood. That helped shape the bottom of the aftermarket piece so it will fit better. I used a section of a rotted rocker as a guide. Still needs a bit of detail work.

Posted By: therebelmachineguy
Date Posted: May/31/2018 at 8:38pm
I thought everyone knew I make brand new body parts for everything your doing. I guess not. The fit like paint and eliminate many hours, days and weeks of work over the length of  the project. 

If you're interested you can e-mail me at gullyfourmyle@gmail.com

You can visit my website at www.rebelmachinestripekit.com

Hope this helps.

-------------
Manufacturing the only authentic Rebel Machine Stripe Kit since 1996 and now manufacturing new sheetmetal panels for AMC Automobiles

Date Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 7:40pm
Decided to move back to the passenger side for a bit. Removed the front fender and door so I could size up the rocker better.

Fitting the one solid original AMC rocker I got from a parts car long ago.

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 9:55pm
Looks real good. Wish mine looked that nice when I started cutting to look!

Date Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 4:41pm
Did a quick fix on more holes that had been cut in the radiator support.

Date Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 7:21pm
Moved back to the passenger side rocker. Bottom was a bit rotten so I stitched a piece to the underside.

Burned it in. I really wanted to keep an original AMC part there since it's got a slight curve to it and the reproductions I've seen don't. Now I gotta work something out on the driver's side.

Date Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 4:21am
Nice metal work there, Rebel. Thumbs Up

I really gotta learn to weld.  The Rambler doesn't need it. Hopefully never will, but there are so many more projects you can take on when you can weld.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/05/2018 at 7:03pm
Thanks!

Got the rocker welds ground down and made a patch for another rotted area. Should have that burned in tomorrow.

-Steve-

Date Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 6:32pm
Burned in and painted.

Now I have to choose what to attack next, driver's side rocker or passenger door. Got a new old stock passenger side doorskin but the door took a good impact back in the '80s as evidenced by the bottom. Might use one of the spare doors I have.

Date Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 12:31pm
Cut the doorskin off the passenger side door. I don't know...... may cut one of my spare doors to see if it'll be easier to work with. Someone enlarged the original door frame cutout for door speakers before I got the car. You wouldn't see it with the doorpanels in place but I still want it restored.

-Steve-

Date Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 5:16pm
Definitely got a rust monster there unfortunately.

Kudos for having the patience and discipline to go thru and deal with all of it properly. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: kirkwood
Date Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 9:14pm
Great work Steve. I’ve enjoyed following this thread so far and look forward to the finished product having seen your past work!

-------------
AMO Newsletter Editor

Date Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 9:40pm
Man I wish I could weld like that......... the other Eagle I'm working on would be a whole lot better if I could. It's not horrible, but it's embarrassing how badly I did and how many times I burned through and had to fill holes I made.
Luckily, my patches in that other car are in the floor of that car and will be unseen by the owner or anyone else.

Your repairs look really good.

Not like mine...........maybe I should take lessons from you.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 9:55pm
Thanks guys, having an angle grinder helps clean up my welds

Billd: Sometimes that happens to me too. Usually happens when I run into really thin metal. Are you using a MIG?

-Steve-

Date Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 10:09pm
Yes, a pretty new model but I can't say I know how to properly use it, even after watching a bunch of youtube videos. 

What I'd give to be able to weld like that or at least a ton better than I do now!

My welder ->

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 10:59pm
I've tried reading and videos over the years to learn also.  Might help if I actually bought a welder, huh?  LOL

Anyway, and this is more a question than a statement...  Isn't burn thru like Bill showed either voltage too high, metal too thin, or holding the tip a little too close to the welder?  From my (limited) understanding, holding the welder in one spot too long is going to do it also even if everything else is perfect.  That seems to me to be the real art; knowing how fast to make your welds so they're complete without burn thru or shoddy, weak connections.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 7:07am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Yes, a pretty new model but I can't say I know how to properly use it, even after watching a bunch of youtube videos. 

What I'd give to be able to weld like that or at least a ton better than I do now!

My welder ->

Looks like you got a good one. Friend of mine who welds for a living swears by Miller. I have a 20 year old Miller 130.

From looking at your pic it looks like either the wire speed is too fast, too little heat or you're moving the gun too fast. The weld is heaped up on top of the base material instead of penetrating into it. What does the back side look like? It should show a heat pattern.

For sheet metal I'm using 0.023" wire.

-Steve-

Date Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 12:37pm
Cut another door apart, I think this shell will clean up a bit better. It's not bent up on the underside like the original but was also hacked for door speakers.

Posted By: one bad rambler
Date Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

My welder ->

i use the Millermatic 211 at work..nice machine...auto set works well when welding steady...sometimes while tacking it takes to long to learn

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Date Posted: Jul/10/2018 at 8:31pm
Spent a fair amount of time repairing an area of the door noone will see! Oh well, I feel better about it.

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Spent a fair amount of time repairing an area of the door noone will see! Oh well, I feel better about it.

Once more, I wish I was your neighbor.  That is FINE work.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 7:26pm
Thanks Roger!

Spotted more holes...... time for more metal Bondo. Might have this door skinned this weekend.

Date Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 4:13pm
Got the doorskin put on the door shell. Took an old crappy body hammer and ground the head on an angle to make the fold on the underside of the door. I still need to spot weld those areas.

Looking like a door.

Hung it on the car just to have a look.

Date Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 7:46pm
Finally finished the metal work on the passenger door. Got the skin spot welded and ground around the folds.

Skin to shell brace located under the wing window frame.

Stripped all the paint off the inner shell.

Posted By: danarchy
Date Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 2:21pm
Rust, sure could live without it. I've been living in the rustbelt for 10 years now. Ive gone from a solid "auto addicition" down to one every once in a while. Born and raised in southern california moved to Vegas via a few small stops. We used to do weekly auctions "just for something different to drive." They were cheap. Sometimes there were two a night. Needless to say the auctions were hit or miss...a lot of fun. We registered 13 one year...Now it's more as needed and what a pain that is. It's crazy what people will drive...Im guilty...but NO on the rust. I'm in this forum right now because I need to do floor pans on my newest mistake. Oh, the surf the sand...the santa ana's....the smog

Date Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 3:28pm
Started on the right front fender. The car got hit back in '87 and pushed the passenger side in several inches. The body shop that "repaired" the car used a ton of filler. You can see how they fixed it by looking at the back side. It's more than 1/2" thick in some places.

This fender is in better shape but still needs attention.

Sectioned in a piece of the original fender where the replacement is rotted and welded up the trim and emblem holes.

Date Posted: Jul/27/2018 at 6:06pm
Welded up the trim holes in the fender lip as well as the air box on the passenger side. It was bent inwards and some spot welds were broken, probably from the accident in '87.

Sealed and painted the air box and fender trough.

Funny..... none of this metal was on the car before I started this project!

Posted By: scott
Date Posted: Jul/28/2018 at 1:42pm
Looking great! Keep the updates coming.

Date Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 8:00pm
Removed the driver's side fender and compared it to my spare. Turns out the spare is much worse than the one on the car. I saw some body filler stalactites hanging from the underside of the original fender. After removing all the filler from that area it appears the holes were drilled to pull a dent. The rust is little more than surface. There were caches of filler elsewhere from other damage some point in the past.

Date Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 7:27pm
Uh-oh, more filler. How bad could it be?

*Groan*

Maybe I can section in the leading edge of my spare fender..... it seems solid.

Crap, more toothpaste......

Geez.... are there any Rebel fenders that haven't been run into something!?!

Date Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Geez.... are there any Rebel fenders that haven't been run into something!?!

Looking at my collection of used fenders....no, there isn't.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 6:25am
Started sectioning the leading edge of the driver's fender. Used the marker lamp mounting holes to help locate it properly. Should have it burned in before the weekend.

Date Posted: Aug/11/2018 at 2:29pm
Burned in but needs detail work.

Date Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 6:32pm
There was a spot on the wheel lip that was brazed poorly so I sectioned in a replacement piece.

Repaired the lower section. Had to fab the trailing edge that mates up with the rocker.

Posted By: amcenthusiast
Date Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 9:14am
That's gonna be YOUR car when you're done!

-About the leading edge of the front fenders; push starting cars was a lot more common back then.

The evidence for this are the millions of '50-'58 Ford-O-Matic and '59-'66 Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmissions that were specifically made with a rear pump on the tailshaft for this reason; so the cars with an automatic trans. could be push started. (as not having this feature was considered to be a handicap, when compared to a manual transmission)

...so the dings on the leading edge of your front fenders plausibly indicates your car was used as a 'pusher' vehicle; to push start other cars? If so, this could be interpreted as a good sign? (your car would run when the others would not?)

You're doing a great job & I'm enjoying to see all your hard work getting done to repair the car:

'Up with The Machine'

-------------
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/

Date Posted: Aug/22/2018 at 7:56pm
Started looking over the driver's doors. All of them need the lower part re-skinned.

What's behind door #1?

What's behind door #2?

Wirebrushed them both down, looks like door #2 is in better shape. There's a bonus on that door as it was never cut for door speakers.

Date Posted: Aug/28/2018 at 6:28pm
Repurposed a section of another junk doorskin for a repair panel.

Taped it to the door then used blue painter's tape to mark a bend line. I'll use a metal brake to make 90 degree bends on the three outer edges.

Date Posted: Sep/03/2018 at 9:22pm
Got the lower skin in place, still needs some tweaking.

I'll need the driver's side rocker in place so I can square the driver's door. Thanks to my friend Tim for letting me cut the rocker off his coffin-nose Matador parts car.

Worked a fold on the trailing edge.

Date Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 7:18pm
Tacked the new rocker in place this eve. Need to work the front side where it meets the fender.

Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 7:12pm
Burned in.

Posted By: LakesideRamblin
Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 7:45pm
You hate rust, but you sure no how to slay it!  Fantastic work.  I'm handy at taking metal apart but not at re-working it so I really enjoy and appreciate seeing the fruits of your labor.  Thanks for sharing.

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt

Posted By: turbo
Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 8:01pm
I have to say I really admire your work quality and dedication to your project but I have to wonder if it is really worth it.  You will be able to look at your car and say "I did that" and feel very proud but if I was a buyer would I want a car that needed so much restoration?  NO WAY am I knocking your work, 'cause I'm not.  But man, that's a lot of piecing together.  I understand that sometimes people undertake projects because they can be a learning experience and that's reason enough.  Good job anyway you look at it.

-------------
they call me Capt RETIRED!

Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

I have to say I really admire your work quality and dedication to your project but I have to wonder if it is really worth it.  You will be able to look at your car and say "I did that" and feel very proud but if I was a buyer would I want a car that needed so much restoration?  NO WAY am I knocking your work, 'cause I'm not.  But man, that's a lot of piecing together.  I understand that sometimes people undertake projects because they can be a learning experience and that's reason enough.  Good job anyway you look at it.

I get what you're saying. Solid cars are clearly better projects but they're much harder to find. Didn't think this car was this bad when I first started. Most of them are icebergs, worse below the surface.

Guess people tinker with them for different reasons. Some are interested in making $$$, others are motivated by a taking on a challenge. My reason is more the latter. Identifying a problem and implementing a solution appeals to me. I admit it doesn't always go as well as I envision, I'm just a hobbyist.

I've had this car since '86 and it's always been really good to me. Time for me to be good to it.

Got the front edge of the rocker fabbed up today, should have it burned in tomorrow.

-Steve-

Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 9:26pm
If all body shops did the work correctly like you see here it wouldn`t be so scary buying a restored car...I just found out tonight that a 78 Gremlin hood will not except a 78 Concord hood molding( i was told it would so never checked now it`s 2 years later and wanted to mock up the molding before paint)...Tomorrow i start cutting and reshaping the hood.....

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Date Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 9:00pm
Got the front edge of the rocker repaired. I can't weld upside-down very well so I'll have to finish the underside of both rockers after I get it on a rotisserie.

Next I'll move on to the driver's quarter.

Date Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 7:32pm
Sizing up the quarter repair panel. I measured from upper body line to lower body line (the blue tape) and taped the panel in place. The wheel arch fits nicely. There's some tweaking to do but nothing terribly radical.

Date Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 7:43pm
I think it's freaking awesome!  The fact that you've had that car since '86 makes a bit more sense to me......"I'm gonna' get that thing fixed up some day!"  I get it........

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 9:45am
Steve, is that the John Newell panel you bought?

-------------
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 6:27am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Steve, is that the John Newell panel you bought?

Yes.

-Steve-

Date Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 12:38pm
There's a lot that needs done before installing the new panel. More tail pan rot.

Removed the old driver's side trunk drop. Got a reproduction piece coming.

Posted By: rang-a-stang
Date Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 1:07pm
Subscribed! Awesome thread.

Date Posted: Oct/16/2018 at 6:26pm
Rebuilt the rear part of the inner wheel arch this eve. Next I'll work up the front part.

Date Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 5:48pm
Starting to work the front inner wheelhouse. Once that's in place the lip will be next.

Date Posted: Oct/30/2018 at 5:52pm
I goofed..... went through the photos of this area and the piece I put on is too big so I corrected it. Then welded in the outer piece that overlaps it. Kind of weird the way AMC did this. Guess they figured it was going to be covered in undercoating anyway. Still have to cut a hole for the factory body plug.

Date Posted: Nov/04/2018 at 4:03pm
Got the leading edge wheel arch done today.

Date Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 5:34pm
Got the trunk floor at the edge repaired this eve, took forever. Next I'll repair the rear corner then rebuild and reinstall the trunk drop.

-Steve-

Date Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 6:00pm
This project is just blowing my mind........fantastic!

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 7:41pm
Thanks Turbo! The cold is making it more difficult to go out there and work!

Working the trunk corner. Got the old stuff removed and some repair pieces made. I'll force myself out there tomorrow.

Posted By: BrotherBamc
Date Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 9:11pm
Are you using a "shrinker/stretcher" tool..??? Your trunk floor edge has the tell tale marks of one.
I ask because I've had my own experience with one during the metal work I did on my Gremlin. It wasn't as easy as it appears, but I did learn a lot from using one.
Nice work and please keep it up...!! I look forward to seeing your progress..!!

-------------
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
http://www.lxforums.com/board/garage.php?do=user_garage_view&id=19745" rel="nofollow - My Garage

Date Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

Are you using a "shrinker/stretcher" tool..??? Your trunk floor edge has the tell tale marks of one.
I ask because I've had my own experience with one during the metal work I did on my Gremlin. It wasn't as easy as it appears, but I did learn a lot from using one.
Nice work and please keep it up...!! I look forward to seeing your progress..!!

Sure did, good eye! The key there is to leave enough material to get it into the jaws of the tool.

-Steve-

Posted By: Ram Air Rick
Date Posted: Nov/28/2018 at 4:53am
Nice work Steve !

Love the thread !

Rich C.

Posted By: Class Guy
Date Posted: Nov/28/2018 at 9:03am
I believe you could construct an entire car out of raw material!!  You are doing unbelievably excellent work!  Love this thread.

-------------
Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com

Date Posted: Nov/28/2018 at 8:02pm
Got the trunk floor corner repaired this eve. Got the part fabbed up, don't know why AMC put cutouts in the flange but thought I should duplicate them.

Burned in.

Date Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 7:05pm
Rear pan patched. Trunk drop is next.

Date Posted: Nov/30/2018 at 9:42pm
Trunk drop time...... it's going to be patchwork. Think I can finish it up tomorrow.

Lots of rot on the underside.

Replaced front bottom section.

Replaced the top where it meets the trunk floor and sandblasted the solid areas.

Cut out more rot and made a patch.

Made the valance attachment point since there wasn't any.

Checking shape of valance attaching point.

Test fitting height of valance attaching point.

Posted By: brownspirit
Date Posted: Nov/30/2018 at 10:29pm
Nice, keep it going!  Andy

-------------
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4

Date Posted: Dec/01/2018 at 12:30pm
Thanks Andy!

Got it finished finally, probably got eight hours just in this piece.

Need a piece on top that connects to the fold at the rear panel.

Completed and bead blasted. Might do a bit more touch up later.

Date Posted: Dec/01/2018 at 6:06pm
We all know time has no value and is free..........Right?

-------------

Posted By: Ram Air Rick
Date Posted: Dec/01/2018 at 6:33pm
RM is practicing his philosophy,  and he might not be aware of it...

Aspire to Inspire before you Expire !

Inspiring for sure ! Mad metal skills dude !!!

Date Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Ram Air Rick Ram Air Rick wrote:

RM is practicing his philosophy,  and he might not be aware of it...

Aspire to Inspire before you Expire !

Inspiring for sure ! Mad metal skills dude !!!

Wow, that's high praise. Thanks for that! Probably closer to Git-R-Done though. LOL

The outlined area on the trunk drop spot welds to the highlighted fold on the tail pan.

Working the back quarter corner. This area needs some help.

Made a replacement section.

Be careful around sharp metal, lucky it only got my jeans.

Date Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 8:34pm
Awesome work!!!! This is the work you think your getting when you send your car to a shop...But undercoating..bed liner and seam sealer is what you really get most of the time..

-------------

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

Awesome work!!!! This is the work you think your getting when you send your car to a shop...But undercoating..bed liner and seam sealer is what you really get most of the time..

That's the difference between restoration shops and production shops.

BTW, RebelMachine, You do have mad metal working skills. I wish I lived close to you , I would be over helping you and trying to convince you to help me.

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Date Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

That's the difference between restoration shops and production shops.

I was thinking the same thing, a repair isn't the same thing as a restoration.

Got the trunk drop installed this eve. Next on the list is finally fitting the quarter panel skin.

Date Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 6:12pm
Some time ago I cut the bottom of the replacement quarter to reshape the radius at the bottom edge. Taped the quarter skin in place and started fitting the underside so it matches the NOS panel I installed on the driver's side. I'll stitch the underside back on the skin before installing the entire panel.

Date Posted: Dec/10/2018 at 7:31pm
Got the quarter panel brace rebuilt, should have it burned in tomorrow.

Date Posted: Dec/16/2018 at 6:20pm
Got the brace burned in and worked the front underside of the quarter where there's a fold. Needs a bit more cleaning up.

Date Posted: Dec/18/2018 at 9:35am
I went back over your post trying to find what you are going to use as a rust inhibitor for all of that excellent metalwork.  Couldn't stumble on it.  What are your plans?

-------------
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Posted By: 63Rambler660
Date Posted: Dec/18/2018 at 11:16am
I've seen worse with some feedyard squarebody chevys but that looks completely fine to me

Posted By: amx007
Date Posted: Dec/18/2018 at 2:15pm
for lite rust I use a product similar to por 15 but much stronger I coat all steel with it before prime it works great form heid industries 

-------------
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Date Posted: Dec/18/2018 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by amx007 amx007 wrote:

for lite rust I use a product similar to por 15 but much stronger I coat all steel with it before prime it works great form heid industries 

I can't find anything relating Heid Industries to a rust preventative.  Got a link?

-------------
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Dec/18/2018 at 5:17pm
I hit it with Krylon Rust Tough on the backside areas after parts are welded in.

-Steve-

Posted By: amx007
Date Posted: Dec/18/2018 at 9:52pm
I’ll grt the info 

-------------
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net