Print Page | Close Window

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92944
Printed Date: Apr/19/2024 at 8:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan
Posted By: Ollie
Subject: Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan
Date Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 3:09pm
It's time for me to add a new project thread as we just got our 4th addition to the AMC Family. A 1969 American, 2 door post car showed up on our door step, dropped off by the AMC Stork !! HE has a loving home but no name yet.

Had a great trip to Tomball, Texas to bring him home. The second AMC to come from Texas. Rapid Delivery, my Postal Jeep came from Round Rock, Texas.

I know this car has been in one family only and always garage kept.

This oil sticker on the windshield tells a story.

I read it as Service Due 7-99 at 49496 miles.
Here is the odometer..

With that information I can just assume all the tags and insurance was updated and paid until 2008, as per the paper work.

He is not running but I really don't think it will take much. Brakes are almost locked up as I had to come-along it off the trailer. Plans are to get it running and some sort of brakes so I can move it around the shop.

Big plans include...
put in the engine from my 1983 Concord 258/904 w/lock-up torque converter

Ford Ranger 7.5 Rear axle 2:73 gears

Offenhauser 4 barrel intake with Edelbrock 500

Vintage air & heat

Bucket seats w/integrated belts

new wiring harness

Color scheme is red, white and blue

Before ANY of this happens, Rapid Delivery must be finished up.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Replies:
Posted By: LakesideRamblin
Date Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 5:38pm
Ollie,

What engine did it come with? A 232 or 199? Looks like a manual 3 on the tree?

Looks like a great find!

Matt

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt

Date Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 6:31pm
Matt,
Came with a 199, only option is auto trans. It's radio and cigarette lighter delete.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: 232jav3sp
Date Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 7:27pm
You lucky pup! Body looks super clean!

Date Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

You lucky pup! Body looks super clean!

Yes it is. Just what I wanted.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: amxmachine
Date Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 1:50am
Nice scoreThumbs Up

Date Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 8:40am
Just played with my new car yesterday. The more I look, the more I like, the more I am impressed with AMC simplicity. I realize this was the cheapest vehicle available in 69. First thing that I noticed was no window cranks in the rear seat !!

Rubber floor mat

The only issue....wide open to suggestions here.......

Planning on a tilt Flaming River steering column,
hope I can fit this steering wheel, its perfect..

Don't see this to often..like new sills

No rot here..

Hope the headliner comes off easy so I can insulate under it...

Impressive..AMC didn't want this Texas car overheating..

I need 2 pieces of trim top and bottom to add here.
The end pieces are in the light fixtures.
I have clips

Need a matching mirror for passenger side.

Looking forward to building this car.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: ambassador401
Date Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 3:28pm
Nice find! This is just like the 68 I bought last year except mine is green and it has a radioSmile. Also 199+auto

Date Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 6:11pm
I know from experience that an aftermarket radio will not fit the factory slot. Too shallow to hold a radio. It's either make a spacer to fit the radio or mount it somewhere else. A retro radio will probably fit, but expensive! I have decided that I'm going to work in a delete plate on my radio slot and will mount new electric gauges there for oil pressure, temp and volts.

Date Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 6:33pm

I know from experience that an aftermarket radio will not fit the factory slot. Too shallow to hold a radio. It's either make a spacer to fit the radio or mount it somewhere else. A retro radio will probably fit, but expensive! I have decided that I'm going to work in a delete plate on my radio slot and will mount new electric gauges there for oil pressure, temp and volts.

I plan on redoing the complete dash, fitting in a piece of aluminum and mounting my gauges and vintage air controls. Radio will be about the ash tray area.

Probably end up with something like this
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=966/category_id=69/mode=prod/prd966.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=966/category_id=69/mode=prod/prd966.htm

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: 69BBB3904spAMX
Date Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 7:13pm

PM sent regarding this mirror I have that may be the mirror you are looking for

-------------
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer

Posted By: maximus7001
Date Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 8:06pm
Beware when mounting that passenger mirror. It mounts further forward on the car than the driver side one. The passenger mirror on my Javelin has been completely useless since in was dealer installed in september 1967.

-------------
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 1:25am
Ollie i will say again that Is one sweet rambler . jack instruction im jealous lovvvve it

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Date Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 9:13am
This like car reminds me so much of my 4dr with how solid it is. Body is just sightly better and the interior is lightyears ahead of where mine was when I got it. Mine even had the hacking instructions, too! Lol. And a build sheet! Bet Ollie's does!

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 3:57pm
I am thinking about building a console for mine and mounting a radio in it. Then I can cut out the radio spot in the dash for a big AC vent.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.

Posted By: 69BBB3904spAMX
Date Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 4:39pm
Smilemaximus7001 - The issue with passenger side mirrors needing to be more forward than the drivers side mirror in order to see anything in it is pretty much a problem only with 68/9 AMX & Javelins. By 1970, those 70 & later style mirrors could be mounted the same distance back.

The mirror I posted has a base that is not canted and looks like it could mount either right or left and has a much wider angle of adjustment than the 68/9 AMX/Javelin mirror. Ollie could remove his driver side mirror and hold it on the passenger side to see it it works or not.

-------------
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer

Date Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

Smilemaximus7001 - The issue with passenger side mirrors needing to be more forward than the drivers side mirror in order to see anything in it is pretty much a problem only with 68/9 AMX & Javelins. By 1970, those 70 & later style mirrors could be mounted the same distance back.

The mirror I posted has a base that is not canted and looks like it could mount either right or left and has a much wider angle of adjustment than the 68/9 AMX/Javelin mirror. Ollie could remove his driver side mirror and hold it on the passenger side to see it it works or not.

I think all the mirrors are the same.I have a mirror mounted on the passenger side on my 66 American. The answer is a 3" bug eye mirror that sticks on. You can see everything then. Works for me.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

I am thinking about building a console for mine and mounting a radio in it. Then I can cut out the radio spot in the dash for a big AC vent.

My thought for the dash is: Remove original gauge cluster, fit a piece of aluminum all the way to the glove box. Cut out for a Dakota Digital cluster, where the radio is mount the Vintage Air controls,
Below where the ashtray is mount the radio. Cover the aluminum with engine turn.

I have a console with gauges and radio in my 66. It's the third one I have built, so I got a lot of flaws out of it !!!! hehehehehehe

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 11:45pm
Ollie, the Dakota Digital cluster looks super. Are you thinking of their universal cluster or have them custom design your original cluster bezel?

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt

Date Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 7:33am
Matthew,

I am planning on using a universal cluster, oblong and thin.

To tell you a bit of a story. I used to have a 65 Ply Satellite, my pre AMC days, and I had a 65 Satellite parts car. I cloned the parts car into a replica of Richard Petty's 65 Satellite race car. Petty actually removed the original dash cluster and replaced it with a piece of flat metal to hold the gauges. I did the same thing to mine with thin plywood and it came out great. That's what I got in mind.

The dash face itself is pretty close to flat. I am thinking of something along the line of 3/16 aluminum. Run it all the way across the dash. My friend has a laser cutting set up. He can cut out the gauge cluster hole, radio, Vintage Air controls, a/c vents, etc.

I really don't want to put everything in a console like I did in my 66 convertible. I had to go with a console because I used the postal jeep shifter and I needed to cover that up. In this build I want to use a Lokar shifter with a leather boot. I will build a junk catcher console between the bucket seats.

Nothing is chipped in stone at this point but just basic thoughts and I hope to get a lot of ideas here as the project progresses.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 12:19pm
Ollie, good story.  Curious about wiring up the Dakota Digital cluster.  I assume the existing Rambler wiring attachments are not correct for the new set up.  How extensive is the wiring for such a set up?

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360

Date Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Ollie, good story.  Curious about wiring up the Dakota Digital cluster.  I assume the existing Rambler wiring attachments are not correct for the new set up.  How extensive is the wiring for such a set up?

I really don't think you could use a stock harness to wire the Dakota Digital. Make your own wiring harness with different color wire.

In my case its going to be a lot easier to re-wire the whole car with EZ Wire or something similar. You know what wire goes where plus you got third brake light and etc.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

In my case its going to be a lot easier to re-wire the whole car with EZ Wire or something similar. You know what wire goes where plus you got third brake light and etc.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
I have done 5 cars so far using the EZ Wire 21 mini. Love their product. I think you will like it too.

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Date Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 6:42am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

I have done 5 cars so far using the EZ Wire 21 mini. Love their product. I think you will like it too.

I rewired a 41 Ply street rod with an EZ wire kit. Thought it was great. I am going to look at them when I go to the NSRA Show in Springfield, MO

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: a075923
Date Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 9:52pm
Going to be a nice one.  Similar was my wife's first car.

Mike

Posted By: SEdmonds
Date Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 11:21pm
It's neat as a pin, Ollie! I can't wait to see the project as it moves along.

Date Posted: May/10/2018 at 9:11am
Big update on the 69 American project.........

I plan on putting the 1983 258 drivetrain from the Concord in the 69. I have an Offenhauser 4 barrel manifold for an Edelbrock 500. Lokar all the way.

I spoke with Brent, "Fat Man", owner of Fatman Fabrications while we were at the NSRA Show in Knoxville, TN. I have decided to go with his front end. It will be rack and pinion with power steering and a Flaming River steering column.

It will be welded in, not a bolt in. I have contracted TJ and Holley's Rod Shop to due the fitting and welding. Looking about Christmas time for a start date.

I found out a very interesting story....Brent told me he has a soft spot in his heart for AMC. His father was a AMC dealer !!! Told me that he will personally handle this project. Thomas, owner of the rod shop will coordinate directly with him.

Also put my eye balls on the Dakota Digital instrument cluster we are going to use. Teresa loved it.

I been doing a lot of looking and planning on the 69 too. Wow, big difference in the front end grill and hood latch support area between my 66 and the 69. I got room in the radiator area to park a Mack truck!! All the support has been squared out.

The tanks on the stock radiator look perfect, single core is shot. I think my radiator man can re-core with a 3 row core. Plenty of room for a/c core. Plan on building a shroud with 2 cooling fans. Will look sharp with the serpentine belt. I want to be in a traffic jam, shaking because I am so cold from the Vintage Air. It will be built extremely overkill.

A lot of thoughts on the interior. Still thinking on the seats.

I cannot wait to get started. Starting in September when our vacation and summer is over.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 7:48pm
Today is the Official Blast-off Day for this new project....

I have been waiting for the weather to cool down a bit but that does not seem to be the case. Started pulling the 258 from the 83 Concord.

Trans fluid drained and drive shaft and trans linkage all removed.

All the carb linkage and wiring on this side removed and disconnected. Drained and removed power steering hoses.

Tomorrow need to drain the engine oil and get the right side of the engine disconnected.

While we were at the AMC Races I met up with Bob Hodson and got all the stuff to convert the 258 to a serpentine belt. All I am missing is the AC Bracket. I hope Vintage Air will have it.

I also scored the rear chrome that goes between the tail lights.

With a bit of luck the engine will be out tomorrow, but that maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 8:21pm
Ollie, Are you sure you wouldn't be interested in a complete, running '01, 4.0 liter for that? It's cheap! Wink  I'll even include the wiring harness with it. Thumbs Up

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Date Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 9:10pm
So glad to see work being done!

Date Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 12:22am
Sweet looking 69. The body really is a nice one. A great find.

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360

Date Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Ollie, Are you sure you wouldn't be interested in a complete, running '01, 4.0 liter for that? It's cheap! Wink  I'll even include the wiring harness with it. Thumbs Up

Keith,
You’re not the first person to offer me a deal on a 4.0 and trust me I have thought a lot about it.

I am not a mechanic and don’t profess to be. I was car guy as a young fellar and a Tug Boat Captain by profession. Life in-between had different priorities’ and now I am retired I like playing with cars.

I know that a 4.0 is fuel injected and the computer is mighty basic ..101… but I really don’t know anything about it. I figure at 68 years young I had better stick with what I know. I will have enough problems and issues as it is.

I have learned enough not to mess with Clifford Performance junk. I have located an Offenhauser 4 barrel intake that uses the factory exhaust manifold. Going with Elderbrock and Lokar linkage. It’s already proven to be a great combination for me.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 12:14pm
The 258 is finally outa of the Concord.

The exhaust pipe really gave me a hard time. I don't know what that bulge is in the pipe, it is welded together with the pipe. I could not get to the bolts to undo the flange. Every time I tried to pull the motor the bulge would get hung up on the cross member. I had to pull the intake/exhaust manifold.

I guess the Concord is officially a parts car now.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: 1970390amx
Date Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 1:24pm
bulge is most likely a catalytic converter

-------------
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box

Posted By: 5spdwagon
Date Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 3:48pm

I wish I would have done a 4.0 in my wife’s wagon

-------------
Real hot rods have 3 pedals

Posted By: Ryan91
Date Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 9:56pm
This thing is solid, Ollie! 

Posted By: maximus7001
Date Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 11:18pm
That bulge is a cat from another car that got welded in there at some point. The original cats were farther down the exhaust and clamped in, not welded. Was the O2 sensor still in the exhaust? I see the air tube from the smog pump.

Be sure to take all the front brake stuff. That is the best year Concord for swapping the brakes into another car.

-------------
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.

Date Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

That bulge is a cat from another car that got welded in there at some point. The original cats were farther down the exhaust and clamped in, not welded. Was the O2 sensor still in the exhaust? I see the air tube from the smog pump.

Be sure to take all the front brake stuff. That is the best year Concord for swapping the brakes into another car.

I am the third owner of this Concord and it's a really un-molested vehicle. I do believe that section of exhaust pipe is original down to the catalic converter. Here is a pic from my cut off by the bulge to the converter.

From the catalic converter on back, i.e., muffler and tailpipe were replaced at some time.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 2:55pm
Found this in the shop manual. "The Bulge" is called a pre-cat. It was used on manual transmissions only. Strange as the vehicle is an automatic. I am 99% positive it left Kenosha as an automatic because all the clutch plugs are there and I know the second owner bought it "as is". The first owner, an older woman, would have bought a automatic.
An AMC Mystery.

Moving on...got the motor mounted on the engine stand and pressure washed and cleaned up. Plan on getting the serpentine belt with the accessories mounted next. That would be AC, ps and 100+ amp alternator. I realize I must change the water to a reverse pump.

Test mounted my Offenhauser 4 barrel manifold. Fit perfect. Thanks Easydean. Purchased the intake from him.

Going to change out the valve cover to aluminum.

Trans cleaned up too.......

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 7:00am
That's the open plenum Offy intake. I like the Dual Port better for street performance, but the open one is a good one too. I did the 4.0L swap in mine and it's great to just go out and hit the key and go without warming up or anything. Driving a carbed vehicle in cooler weather is a bit annoying now! But I still remember what to do with one...  Can't blame you for sticking with what you know though. That Offy and Edelbrock ombo will be great, but would sure like you to upgrade that am with something like an Isky 256 Superam before sticking that engine in...

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 8:01am
Frank,
Thanks for your input. I really respect your opinion.

I used the Isky 256 on my 232 build and planning on the same with this 258.

I need to enter your knowledge bank regarding the serpentine belt upgrade. I have a shop manual but I am a bit confused. I am going to have AC, PS & alt.

In all serpentine belt applications the TSM shows a smog pump. Can this be left off and will the belt tension up? I realize I would need a shorter belt.

Looks to me as if the alt and ps brackets are all the same for v belts and serpentine. Correct?

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 2:52pm
Just got home with my "new truck"

1992 Ford Ranger. Going to pull the rear end for the 69. I used a Ford rear end in my Convertible and it has worked out really good.

I am working on the serpentine belt on the 258 and its going a bit bumpy but its coming on. I got a post in the 6 cyl section.
http://theamcforum.com/FORUM/serpentine-belt-help-1983-258ci_topic96542.html" rel="nofollow - Serpentine Belt

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/02/2018 at 2:45pm
Got the serpentine belt figured out now. I have a new vibration damper, 100 amp alternator, reverse water pump ordered. I plan on adding a tensioner to the system.

My PML valve cover arrived today....

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: Devilboy
Date Posted: Oct/02/2018 at 3:06pm
Coming along quick. Nice work Ollie.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
http://theamcforum.com/forum/devilboys-1965-american-330_topic88300.html" rel="nofollow">1965 American 330

Date Posted: Oct/02/2018 at 8:25pm
I like what I see! Can't wait to see it in person.

Date Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 12:12am
Another Ollie special! Lookin' good.

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360

Date Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 5:48am
Are you going to be running an AC compressor?With a tensioner you can get rid of that funky upper left pulley. Will just have to measure for the belt. A spring tensioner will be so much nicer than having to adjust with the PS pump like the 4.0L does!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 6:26pm
Been a slow go, but progress on on the serpentine belt and accessories. Got my new 100 amp alternator mounted and the bracket to tighten the belt is moving like it should. Installed the new lower crank pulley.

Thanks to Ramblin64sw for the info on the distributor gear. I pulled the gear off a points distributor and it fits the new  HEI  shaft perfectly. I took Bill D's advise and ground a bit off the flat end of the distributor shaft and it has end play just like the original distributor. 

I see i will have to pull the engine oil dipstick out of the old 199 engine.

Cleaned up the manifold bolts and got them both bolted on.

Still waiting on the back ordered reverse water pump. I will change that before putting on the power steering pump. I did pull of the PS v-belt pulley and cleaned up the serpentine pulley. 

I pulled the belt and tensioner off of the Ford Ranger. I don't like the style of that belt tension. It is a one bolt with a tit that goes into a slot to hold it ridged. I found one at Summit that is held on with two bolts. 

One more big order from Summit tomorrow. Sanden AC compressor, fuel pressure regulator, PS rebuild kit and belt tensioner. That should about cover all the accessories. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: 1982AMCConcord
Date Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 7:39am
Ollie,

How will you run the auto trans and the Offy intake? I have read in the product descriptions of that intake that they are supposed to be for Manual Trans only. I figured there has to be a way to use them on the auto transmission... so I am curious about how you intend on setting up the trans linkage. Thanks.

Date Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 11:04am
Use a Lokar cable. The Offy intake won't work with the factory kick-down linkage. 

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 3:42pm
John, Frank is correct. I will use a Edelbrock carb with a Lokar bracket and Lokar kickdown cable. When dealing with Lokar one must remember they are extremely proud of there stuff. 

The top cable is throttle and lower is kickdown.

Boy, I messed up big time when I ordered my AC compressor. I need a 508 style and when I dropped down the list to get a 6 groove serpentine pulley I changed mounting styles. 

Needless to say I saw it as soon as I opened the box. Ouch  I was good tho...only said 2 bad words !!! Angry

Got the wrong one to the post office and Summit will get the correct one on the way when they receive the wrong one. The only good thing was the wrong one was $25 more so that should cover my return shipping. The moral of the story is to check your order many times before hitting the buy now button !!!

Having AMC Fun, 
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 4:05pm
Hey Ollie, If it's not to late, I would suggest ordering a SD709 (7 cylinder) over the 509 5 cylinder. I had an issue with the 508 setting up a harmonic noise in my system. It was a loud moan while running at certain rpm's. After changing to a 7 cylinder, the noise was gone. The 7 cylinder units also turn easier because the displacement is lower per cylinder reducing the chance for vibration and belt stress. Most OEM's use a 7 or more cylinder compressor. Like I said, just a suggestion. Wink

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Date Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 5:47pm

Hey Ollie, If it's not to late, I would suggest ordering a SD709 (7 cylinder) over the 509 5 cylinder. I had an issue with the 508 setting up a harmonic noise in my system. It was a loud moan while running at certain rpm's. After changing to a 7 cylinder, the noise was gone. The 7 cylinder units also turn easier because the displacement is lower per cylinder reducing the chance for vibration and belt stress. Most OEM's use a 7 or more cylinder compressor. Like I said, just a suggestion. Wink

Is this the compressor you are talking about   http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-04709-vma/overview/" rel="nofollow - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-04709-vma/overview/

This is what i ordered  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-04808-vma/overview/" rel="nofollow - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-04808-vma/overview/

I got time to change them.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 6:32pm
Yes, that one. Here's a blurb about the difference.

The 508 series Compressors are made at the Sanden facility in the Republic of Singapore and the 709 series Compressors are made in the USA. The 709 is perfect for smaller engines and uses less Horsepower than the 508.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 6:54pm

Yes, that one. Here's a blurb about the difference.

The 508 series Compressors are made at the Sanden facility in the Republic of Singapore and the 709 series Compressors are made in the USA. The 709 is perfect for smaller engines and uses less Horsepower than the 508.

Thanks for the info Kieth. I will call Summit tomorrow and get it changed to the 709.

I am always open to suggestions and recommendations. Life is a learning curve.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 7:51pm
Your welcome my friend. For $10 more it's worth it not to take the chance on having noise. The guys at Vintage Air said it's uncommon for that to occur but it happened to me! Plus with using less power will help with a 6 cylinder too.
Are you still planning on using a Fatman IFS?

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

John, Frank is correct. I will use a Edelbrock carb with a Lokar bracket and Lokar kickdown cable. When dealing with Lokar one must remember they are extremely proud of there stuff. 

The top cable is throttle and lower is kickdown.

Boy, I messed up big time when I ordered my AC compressor. I need a 508 style and when I dropped down the list to get a 6 groove serpentine pulley I changed mounting styles. 

Needless to say I saw it as soon as I opened the box. Ouch  I was good tho...only said 2 bad words !!! Angry

Got the wrong one to the post office and Summit will get the correct one on the way when they receive the wrong one. The only good thing was the wrong one was $25 more so that should cover my return shipping. The moral of the story is to check your order many times before hitting the buy now button !!!

Having AMC Fun, 
Ollie

Wow... that looks great! I always wondered how to get around that! Thanks a lot! I am really looking forward to seeing this new 6 cylinder build up close! 

Date Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 8:33am

Your welcome my friend. For $10 more it's worth it not to take the chance on having noise. The guys at Vintage Air said it's uncommon for that to occur but it happened to me! Plus with using less power will help with a 6 cylinder too.
Are you still planning on using a Fatman IFS?

Yes, I am. 
I spoke with Brent at the NSRA Show in Knoxville, TN and he remember's you well.

Do you know his father was an AMC Dealer? 

That is a bit beyond my abilities, but I have a good friend that owns a rod shop. Is is a welder/fabricator genius. He will get measurements before we pull the 199 out of the 69 Rambler. Brent wants to make sure the oil pan will clear the cross member. He says it has enough beef to notch if he has too. 

TKS again my friend,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/16/2018 at 7:26pm
Still hard at work on the serpentine system. Big progress....all the serpentine pulleys in place. I finally got the idler pulley that i need to replace the missing smog pump figured out. That was a mind twister for me. There was a smooth pulley in that location but i needed a grooved pulley. 

Some close-ups of the new pulley...

Waiting on the AC compressor. 

Been getting alot of info and thinking about the cam i want to use in the engine build. Almost sure i am going with a Isky 256 Supercam. Its what i am using in The Rambler now. I did find out that i have the correct rearend gearing ratio in the Ford Ranger, 3:45, to go with a Isky 262. 

Rigged up my fuel pressure regulator. Could not mount it like i did in The Rambler as i used the AC bracket mounting holes. Put it on top of the intake manifold.

Played with my valve cover too. Sanding, shining and painting. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 6:52pm

Serpentine belt update...

My AC compressor arrived. The Ford Ranger belt tightens up good. 

I am concerned and need some opinions regarding the AC. Without the idler pulley below the compressor it does not look like there is enough belt contact with AC pulley. Whats your opinion?

If i need a pulley it will have to be a stock pulley. The mounting is a 3/8 course thread bolt. Anyone know of a direct replacement?

The tensioner that i am going to install will need some more modifications. I need to weld a plate to the existing bracket and lower it down. I think i need to support the plate with a bolt and spacer back to the intake manifold. 

Worked on the Ford Ranger. Rearend removed...

Got some bonding going on too....

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 7:03pm
That Ranger rear will be a good addition.  Kinda like how their looking each other over in the last picture Thumbs Up

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360

Date Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 7:29pm
I can not wait Ollie. I know you are having fun ideas for it.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
http://theamcforum.com/forum/devilboys-1965-american-330_topic88300.html" rel="nofollow">1965 American 330

Date Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 8:58pm
I think an idler pulley would be a good idea.  

Date Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 5:26am
You will likely need an idler pulley on the AC. Only way to know for sure is run it and see if it slips. On the tensioner, why not re-drill the mount and move both the idler and tensioner down?

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 6:42am
In echoing what some of the others have said... I don't think there is enough tension on the belt either.

Also.. Ollie... can you share the rear axle specs and what year/model Ranger you looked for? Did you have to shorten the long side axle and tube to fit the small body Rambler?

Posted By: nextofkin
Date Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 7:42am
Looks good on your build, on the idler and tensioner bracket could turn the bracket around the one held on with 2 bolts and mount the idler on the right and tensioner on left or top providing you have room for radiator hose or may need to drop it down a little by redrilling the 2 holes if you have hose clearance.

Date Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

In echoing what some of the others have said... I don't think there is enough tension on the belt either.

Also.. Ollie... can you share the rear axle specs and what year/model Ranger you looked for? Did you have to shorten the long side axle and tube to fit the small body Rambler?

John, if you are trying to put the Ford Ranger rearend in your Concord it is to narrow. The Concord is wider. To fit a American, 1966-1969, you need a Ford Ranger 1989-1993. I have the de-coding info as to the gear ratio for the Ford Rangers.

I agree about the belt.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by nextofkin nextofkin wrote:

Looks good on your build, on the idler and tensioner bracket could turn the bracket around the one held on with 2 bolts and mount the idler on the right and tensioner on left or top providing you have room for radiator hose or may need to drop it down a little by redrilling the 2 holes if you have hose clearance.

That sure looked like a good idea, I tried it. My tensioner was going the wrong way. Great idea...

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

You will likely need an idler pulley on the AC. Only way to know for sure is run it and see if it slips. On the tensioner, why not re-drill the mount and move both the idler and tensioner down?

I think an idler pulley would be a good idea.  

I agree, got Jeff Kennedy working on it.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 5:37pm
I spoke to Jeff about a pulley below the AC compressor. He said there is not one there. 

My good friend Pete came over to look at what i had. He said that if you could find a pulley to mount below the compressor on the AC bracket he would not expect it to last to long. He thought a 3/8" bolt with all that pressure into the aluminum bracket was doomed to failure. Pete agreed with Frank, lower the idler pulley.

I fabricated up a plate and lowered the idler pulley.

I can see from my previous pictures i have increased the foot print of the belt. I can't go much lower as i will interfere with the thermostat housing. 

Here is the picture in the TSM...looks about the same.

Now i have to run down a belt.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 6:02pm
I think the 3/8 would be okay. Most of today's vehicles use m10. It probably will be fine without the pulley, but I like having piece of mine. Guess you won't know till you try.

Date Posted: Nov/03/2018 at 8:19am
Making big progress on the serpentine system. 

I do believe I have it correct now. I see where the plate went that i could not figure out before. It was the plate used to mount a idler pulley in lew of the smog pump. I was able to remove the plate i fabricated for the idler pulley. 

I had to fabricate some bolt hardware that really stiffened up the mounting plate. I used 3/8" bolts to match the intake manifold threads.

I have all my accessories finished up now. Fabed up a bracket for my fuel pressure regulator and make a fuel line.

I need to pull the oil dip stick and put the one from the 199 in. This one will not clear the HEI dizzy.

I want to add a special thanks to Patrick, 232jav3sp, for all his helpful information about idler pulleys.
After a trip to Pull-A-Part I got the proper hardware. 

I made a really big score at Pull-A-Part. We were looking for seats and i really like the Sebring Convertible seats that we have in The Rambler. I had found a set in a Dodge 1500 pick-up that i liked. I was heading back that way when my wife hollered out "Ollie, come here, look what i found!"

We are doing the interior in black and white. What a match!! They are manual, but have adj seat bottoms, adjustable lumbar, and the backs move all the way forward for rear seat entry. Came out of a Nissan Versa. Saved $500 in upholstery work !!!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/03/2018 at 8:46am
Looking good Ollie! Nice score. Good eye Teresa!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Nov/05/2018 at 9:18am

Got The 69 moved in the shop and up on the lift. 

Got in contact with Brent at Fatman Fabrications and Thomas owner of TJ and Hollies Rod Shop. Thomas is going to do the front end installation. A bit to much for me. Brent sent Thomas directions on how to make the front end measurements. I want the two guys actually doing the work to speak to each other. They will make all the measurements before I  pull the motor and trans.

Pulled the fuel tank and it was 1/2 full of fuel. I was totally shocked that the fuel sending unit is 100% intact and working correctly. Guess being submerged in the fuel saved it.

This is the empty ohms reading. The unit cleaned up great with paint thinner, best thing i know of to get the fuel residue off anything. 

Checked the float overnight for holes. Here it is submerged  in water.

Just checked it this morning. Still in the same place. No holes.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 5:16pm
Just found out that the 2 core radiator in the 83 Concord is a direct bolt in The 69. 
What a deal !! Its a new radiator. Shroud and 2 electric fans and i will be AC ready. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 6:52am
Throughout the 60s and 70s AMC used basically one size radiator core, as in width and height. Tanks were even the same on most. The main variance was the thickness of the core and the front/back offset of the side mounts. you can generally fit any AMC radiator in any car just by changing or altering (usually drilling new mount holes) the side mounts. There are probably some exceptions -- one being full size Jeeps. I have a FSJ three core radiator in my 63 Classic. Just had to change the mount hole locations in the side mounts, but found that the Jeep radiator is about 1.5" taller than car radiators. IIRC CJ radiators are car size, just the FSJ radiators are taller. Had to make a mod to the body under the radiator to fit it in, but it wasn't much. Have a write-up on it in member projects.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 7:41pm
Progress has been slow on The 69. 

Been busy Car Showing. Went to the Florida Mopar Show in Ocala, FL. We had 17 AMC"s in attendance. Had a great time and winning First Place for AMC's was a real surprise and thrill. The next weekend we attended the Winter Rod Run in Jasper, Texas. A great way to end the 2018 Show Car Season. Put 1900 trouble free miles on The Rambler in two weekends. 

Now I am ready to hit the 69 full steam ahead. I did get the radiator fixed up. I took it to the Radiator Shop. He found a crack by the transmission line fitting. I may have cracked it removing it. Anyway he beefed up the fittings both sides. Also put in a brass drain plug.

Looks as if at some point something was dropped on it and bent the fins a bit. Got the shroud and 2 900 CFM Spal fans done.

Thomas my Rod Shop owner came and measured the front end. Spoke with Brent, owner of Fatman Fabrications and we are all set up for a Stage III front end. Should be in the Rod Shop in about 2-3 weeks.  http://www.fatmanfab.com/product/hub-to-hub-kits-stages" rel="nofollow - http://www.fatmanfab.com/product/hub-to-hub-kits-stages

With all the measurements completed I am ready to pull the engine and trans tomorrow.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: Hurley
Date Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 10:26am
Ollie, with the Versa seats, what seatbelt arrangement are you considering?

-------------
67 Rambler American - "The Golden Girl"

Date Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 2:38pm
WooHoo! Now you're rolling on this project! Big smile LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Hurley Hurley wrote:

Ollie, with the Versa seats, what seatbelt arrangement are you considering?

I am going with a lap & shoulder.

I will do business with Seat Belts Plus. I bought belts for Rapid Delivery (my Postal Jeep)  from them and they have quality stuff. 

I have the end that goes into the buckle and i will send it to them to sew into the shoulder belt. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/22/2018 at 1:41pm
Motor and trans out.......

I got lucky as my AMC friend Patrick, (232Jav3sp) wants the motor. Much better than the scrape yard. I am going to keep the trans as its the same as in Rapid Delivery.

Hope all are having a Happy Turkey Day.

Saturday we are supposed to be in the low 70's so i will pressure wash the engine compartment and undercarriage. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/25/2018 at 6:21pm
Finished up removing the wiring harness, E brake and speedocable cable and dash cluster.

Saturday was a beautiful day for pressure washing. Bet I washed off 100 lbs of dirt, grease, wasp and dirt dobber nests.

The engine compartment.

The under carriage is impressive too......

This is the only rot I have found.......passenger floor pan.

Got the fuel tank undercoated and ready to put back in tomorrow.

The seats from at Pull-A-Part are going to work out great. I played with them a bit today. Just shimmed with scrap wood. Alot more serious work ahead. They are going to sit high, I can see that. More comfortable that way. I sure hope the tilt column from the Concord works out. 

After i get the fuel tank in I need to move The 69 to the paint room. The Concord needs to come back in on the lift and remove the E-brake foot lever and steering column and a couple more items. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/25/2018 at 7:16pm
Looking good, Ollie.  A nice clean machine.  Curious to see how the Concord steering column will work.  

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360

Date Posted: Nov/26/2018 at 7:58am
I've got a late 80s S-10 tilt column in my 63 Classic. Wasn't terribly difficult to make fit, had to notch the gauge cluster where it fit over the column though -- something you won't have to do! I made an aluminum bracket to hold the column to the dash. 1/8" thick standard aluminum plate, not hardened so it could rip off in a serious accident -- the original mount had break-out inserts where the bracket bolted on. At the bottom end I just used an L bracket on each side drilled to fit up against the column and the two holes of the original collar ("floor hole cover"), then used a large hose clamp around the column body and brackets.

Yours is retained differently at the bottom. Can't tell from the photos, but from the TSM it looks like there is a clamp on the engine bay side that goes around a plate that screws to the firewall. The TSM just shows Javelin and big car though -- yours might be different, but if not, that should be easy to adapt to the tilt column, but might be a bigger diameter and need a new or modified plate.

Once you get that figured out the intermediate shaft isn't hard -- I "shopped" GM models at a pick-n-pull untill I found one close to the right length, but still had to shorten it a bit.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Nov/26/2018 at 8:44am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I've got a late 80s S-10 tilt column in my 63 Classic. Wasn't terribly difficult to make fit, had to notch the gauge cluster where it fit over the column though -- something you won't have to do! I made an aluminum bracket to hold the column to the dash. 1/8" thick standard aluminum plate, not hardened so it could rip off in a serious accident -- the original mount had break-out inserts where the bracket bolted on. At the bottom end I just used an L bracket on each side drilled to fit up against the column and the two holes of the original collar ("floor hole cover"), then used a large hose clamp around the column body and brackets.

Yours is retained differently at the bottom. Can't tell from the photos, but from the TSM it looks like there is a clamp on the engine bay side that goes around a plate that screws to the firewall. The TSM just shows Javelin and big car though -- yours might be different, but if not, that should be easy to adapt to the tilt column, but might be a bigger diameter and need a new or modified plate.

Once you get that figured out the intermediate shaft isn't hard -- I "shopped" GM models at a pick-n-pull untill I found one close to the right length, but still had to shorten it a bit.

Good info Frank, thanks.

I am going to pull the Concord column today. Yes, the dia looks bigger but i am not sure how much is just plastic cover. 

AS far as the length goes i can't do anything about that now until Thomas gets my Fatman front end installed. I am sure we will have some "rigging" to do.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/26/2018 at 7:02pm
That is a clean looking car Ollie. It's nice that you won't have to spend much time doing rust repair. I used a 91 Jeep Cherokee tilt column in the Javelin so I could put a double D joint on the end to start making the turn to the rack. The nice thing is that the turn signal handle also has the dimmer, cruise control and intermittent wiper switches on it. No more floor mounted dimmer and I'll have intermittent wipers now. Big smile

If you leave the headrests off of those seats, they should look pretty good. The headrests make them look to tall for sure IMO.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 8:51pm

.............  I'll have intermittent wipers now. Big smile.................

That's my only weak link; vacuum wipers, almost impossible to find a electric setup. I just got my motor back form Peter S. He did a great job rebuilding it. I have not had an issue with the convertible motor he did 5 years ago

My good friend Pete came over today and we tore down the motor. He doesn't see anything wrong with it. He believes we will only need standard bearings and rings. Off to the machine shop tomorrow.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/28/2018 at 3:32pm
One of these should work for you. They work really well. http://www.specialtypowerwindows.com/products.php?c=2" rel="nofollow - http://www.specialtypowerwindows.com/products.php?c=2

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 7:32am
That type works well. The motor is on one end, located under the dash or on the kick panel. Works well in the early Ramblers with "to/apart" swing rather than both side to side also.

That said, is the vacuum motor and the vacuum booster on the fuel pump is in good condition the vac wipers work very well. The motor also has to be in fairly decent condition also.. if about worn out it won't pull much vacuum. For only occasional bad weather use a vacuum storage canister can be used in lieu of the booster. You need a fairly big one -- I prefer the half gallon "juice an" type. They will provide wiper action up a modest hill and during modest acceleration. Wipers will slow, but shouldn't stop unless you floor it for more than a few seconds. Electric or mechanical vacuum pumps (found in diesel vehicles in salvage yards) are also a consideration, but new can be expensive, and you still need a good vacuum wiper motor. 40-50 year old vac wiper motors need to be replaced!!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 8:14am
To  be truthful about it, the vacuum wipers have never been that big of issue for me. I just had Peter Statches rebuild the motor. 

I gave up on the fuel/vac pump combination on the convertible because of leaking oil. I run just a plain fuel pump and get the vacuum off the manifold. 

If you need wipers just take you foot off the gas a second........if its raining that hard you need to slow down anyway.......hehehehehehehe

I got alot more issues to worry about first. That can be a later project........

Mr. Massey mic the cyl yesterday and figures about a .030 bore. But just a guesstimate. I found .030, .040 & .060 pistons readily available. I call him today with my findings.

Today i will remove the steering column and  E brake pedal from the Concord. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: fhpdave
Date Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 10:18am
Hey Ollie, I have been reading your posts, and have decided to follow your example and went with the Isky 256 cam for my Eagle engine rebuild. Looks like you are making some nice progress on this project too. Keep the post coming!

-------------
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care

Date Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 2:32pm
The next time you're in a salvage yard look under the hoods of 90s Ford trucks, Crown Vics, and Town Cars. You should be able to find a "juice can" vac reservoir easily. That will keep you from having to nearly stop in order to see in the rain! Will still have to slow down, but not so much!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Dec/01/2018 at 7:56pm
Got going on the steering column swap...the blue is the 69 American and the tan is the 83 Concord. 

You can see by the lines on the table the are mighty close.

This is where the problem starts, the mounting to the bottom of the dash. The Concord is larger diameter and the bolt locations are different. I tried swapping out the mounting brackets but no go. 

Had to do some cutting under the dash. I removed this piece, it was tack welded to the major support under the dash.

Had to do some cutting at the bottom of the dash so that the bracket on the Concord column would go up under the dash. It was stopping when hitting the bottom of the dash.

Now i got it pushing up under the dash.

This is the main support under the dash. I am going to weld a plate to the top of this support and bolt the column to it.

It lines up perfectly with the steering box and rag joint, great for pushing the car around until the Fatman Front End goes on. 

I will stay after the column until completed. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 3:00pm
I did the Concord column swap into my 66 American convertible. I cut down the outer collar of the column so it butted to the dash, and I had to cut out a little of the dash to clear the dimmer switch linkage. Then I cut up some mounts and welded them back together to work to mount the column to the dash while maintaining the collapsing features.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.

Date Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 6:31pm
I did not weld a plate as I thought yesterday.

I was able to use the two support rods that were already there. They had stoppers on the threaded portion that bolted to the column. The stoppers were not allowing me to tighten up the column. I ground the stoppers off and threaded them all the way to the first curve.

The column bolted right in. Now I have the column to tight against the dash. I will have to pull the rods out and add stoppers to them. Once i get that adjusted I can trim off the excess thread. 

The column is centered up in the fire wall hole. I will have to play with the plates there next.

I can see it going to work out great, plenty of room to access the electrical plugs on the column.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 8:11pm
Looking great, Ollie! Blue and orange....METS colors! My dad would approve.

Date Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 5:39am
If the rods are threaded up enough I assume your "stoppers" will be another nut? Then you can trim the bottom where it sticks down so far. Looking real good!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Dec/04/2018 at 8:13pm
Still playing with the steering column and I am learning alot.  

I thought all was lining up, but not so true. I did have to trim the Concord mounting bracket more to clear up under the dash. I have my "stoppers" figured out.  One side the stopper will be a nut and the other side I will have to weld a washer. That is not a problem. 

Now i have it fitting good, the "barrel" part of the column (the part that moves with the shifter) is rubbing the dash. I trimmed it back about 1/8" and that solved the dash fitting part. 

To get the steering rag joint to line up i need to raise the steering column about 1/2" higher into the dash. I don't want to cut any more on the dash because it looks so good now. I am not using the stock steering box anyway. My Rod Shop needs to connect it to the Fatman front end, so that is not an issue. 

My engine parts arrived yesterday so i went to the Machine Shop today. Massey did bore it .030. All the bearings and cam bushings are standard. He will hone in the pistons,change them out on the rods and put in the new cam bearings. I should be picking up everything this week.

Tomorrow i will tweak the steering column and see what all is involved in getting this foot operated E brake installed. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/04/2018 at 10:22pm
I've been anxiously waiting for updates! I'm also glad I get to see this car this weekend 😉

Date Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 8:02am

I've been anxiously waiting for updates! I'm also glad I get to see this car this weekend 😉

Looking forward to your arrival Patrick. We will be up all Saturday night "talkin' cars" hehehehehe

I am so happy that the 199 engine and back seat out of "The 69" are going to a good AMC home.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net