Print Page | Close Window

Finally, American Racing Headers for your AMC

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made V8 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92524
Printed Date: Apr/18/2024 at 6:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Finally, American Racing Headers for your AMC
Posted By: A.R. Headers
Subject: Finally, American Racing Headers for your AMC
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 2:26pm

Finally, American Racing Headers for your AMC

UPDATE: PRICING NOW AVAILABLE!

These headers are now available to purchase on our web site. For more information and pricing, please visit

https://americanracingheaders.com/products/amc-amx-headers

We’re proud to announce that we will be starting production on these amazing new AMC headers immediately. This header proved to be a bit more challenging than the run of the mill header, mainly due to the intricate flange design which requires CNC machining for clearance around the spark plugs and cylinder head bolts. We apologize for the delay, but we assure you that the wait is well worth it!

Here’s the facts:

* Available in 1-3/4” or 1-7/8” with 3” or optional 3.5” collectors
* Made for the AMX, Javelin, Rebel Machine, and other related platforms
* Designed for the dog-leg style port that works with Edelbrock or factory iron heads
* Flanges are 3/8” thick and CNC machined to clear the spark plugs and head bolts
* Excellent tube routing for a great fit and to maximize performance
* Merge collectors with scavenger spikes standard
* A first of their kind for AMC, all 304 Stainless Steel material that is 100% USA Made
* Hand ported and tig welded inlets
* Fits standard and automatic transmission vehicles
* These headers come with euro-ball style connection pipes to give you a starting point for the balance of your exhaust

Guys, this is your last stop. If you never want to make another investment in headers, we assure you it just doesn’t get any better than this, and it’s backed by a lifetime guarantee for quality and workmanship

Please feel free to reach out to us and we will get into more details on pricing and part numbers for you.
You may email Nick@americanRacingHeaders.com

Guys for those that can't see the video, here's a link to our Facebook video.

https://www.facebook.com/americanracingheaders/videos/1873445582665997/

https://www.facebook.com/jan.phersson/videos/2318676554824569/

-------------
American Racing Headers
100% Made In USA Since 2005

Replies:
Posted By: goops
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 2:39pm
Any idea on cost for a set to fit 68 rebel ?

Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 2:44pm
Please reach out to us via email above for more information, thank you! 

Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 3:43pm
[QUOTE=goops] Any idea on cost for a set to fit 68 rebel ?

Goops, Yes I believe they will. We installed a set on a Rebel Machine and it was spot on.

Guys we are more than willing to work with any enthusiast that's willing to test fit them on larger body cars without the risk of having to return them and deal with a restocking fee. We will accommodate you as best we can.

Long term we hope to expand to the smaller body cars as well and from the looks of things it may happen fairly soon. At that point we'll need to track down someone local we can use to perform the prototype. Keep the question coming guys but if you email me a contact number I can call you and get into it in detail. Thanks.

Nick   

Posted By: rodhhrod
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 4:01pm
Well,,looked on your web site and couldn't find the AMX headers. Have any info for the 70 amx in particular.
Rod 

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 4:22pm
Just curious... can you offer flanges and pre cut outlet pipes as a kit, for custom special use installs?

I plan on a one off custom header, that for the most part, only needs a good flange and matched outlet pipe setup for a base to route from.

Not sure if straight 3 inch outlet pipes or curved ones will be needed, as still have to verify clearances. Just saying as others may like the base kit option for their needs as well.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by rodhhrod rodhhrod wrote:

Well,,looked on your web site and couldn't find the AMX headers. Have any info for the 70 amx in particular.
Rod 

Rod, they haven't been listed on our site yet but will be soon. I can help you regardless. No problem on any AMX assuming you have dog leg heads. I'll need to know more about what you have done for upgrades to recommend a primary size. As a general rule, it's safe to say our 1-3/4" headers will support up to 500 flywheel HP. Anything past that you're dwelling into 1-7/8" territory.

Having said that, you can bet that our design will outperform other current offering based on what our headers feature in the design. Please let me know how else I can help you. Thanks.

Nick

Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Just curious... can you offer flanges and pre cut outlet pipes as a kit, for custom special use installs?

I plan on a one off custom header, that for the most part, only needs a good flange and matched outlet pipe setup for a base to route from.

Not sure if straight 3 inch outlet pipes or curved ones will be needed, as still have to verify clearances. Just saying as others may like the base kit option for their needs as well.

304 Dude, if you're talking about a header kit that includes our flanges, tubing and collectors, that isn't a problem. Give us a call 631-608-1986 and we'll price it out for you. Thanks.

Nick

Posted By: 6t8amxetc
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 5:16pm

Which automatic did you fit them to? Were they tried with a stock Borg-Warner (dipstick tube) and also a 727 or T-400?

Thanks....Ty

Posted By: Rebel Machine
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 5:40pm
Keep in mind if you've retrofitted a 727 where a Borg/Warner auto used to be the 727 dipstick tube hole sticks out a bit. A header designed for a B/W auto might not clear the 727 case where the dipstick tube fits in.

-Steve-

Posted By: harry401
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 5:45pm
Very interested in a set for my Matador..... email sent

Thx
Harry

Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by 6t8amxetc 6t8amxetc wrote:

Which automatic did you fit them to? Were they tried with a stock Borg-Warner (dipstick tube) and also a 727 or T-400?

Thanks....Ty

They were fitted up with a 727 TF but we located all the clutch linkage to design around that. If you're running a T400 you may have more space. The 727TF is wider.

Our prototype car did have a dipstick that we worked around. I don't believe that'll be an issue.

Nick

Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 7:42pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I will be watching with great interest.
The stock Borg-Warner  M-12 in a 390 AMX has a large dipstick tube coming from the side of the pan. Could be an issue. Although I have already relocated mine to the front corner.
Thanks again...Ty

Posted By: jpnjim
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 9:46pm
Thank you for following through with this!

I just need to figure out if the ballpark price for 1.75" tube/4spd Javelin headers is the ballpark I'm in LOL

-------------
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords

Posted By: dbomb
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 10:31pm
Will these be ground draggers like most other brands or will they tuck up a bit higher and nicer. That was my concern with all the other long tubes I've seen my car is a street car driver gotta go up driveways and occasional speed bumps. Not just up a trailer ramp. Sounds great let us know more and pricing.

-------------
rebuiling 73 amx need parts

Posted By: gremlinsteve
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 10:57pm
I need some headers for my gremlin...

Posted By: AMoCoLite
Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 11:35pm
Dang it...why couldn’t just promise them...and then not deliver? I thought I was done with the AMX...here we go...again.

Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by gremlinsteve gremlinsteve wrote:

I need some headers for my gremlin...

I’ve got a Hornet that will need them also.

Date Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 11:50pm
I'm serious. We have just as many gremlin/ hornets around as we have javelins

Posted By: 4015spdJavAMX
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 12:37am
I could be very interested, have a 70 AMX with a 600 HP Indy-head 401 (dynoed with Hookers), but they hang too low for a street car. If yours tuck up nicely, could be very interested. Send more details for sure, I did watch the video.

-------------
1972 Jav-AMX 401 4-speed....T56 next?
1970 AMX 390 auto, now 5-speed
1970 AMX 390 4-speed, stock

Posted By: Boris Badanov
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 5:48am
Small body cars should be over half of the market.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 6:53am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

I just need to figure out if the ballpark price for 1.75" tube/4spd Javelin headers is the ballpark I'm in LOL

Guys, I'll gladly quote you all via email, nick@americanracinheaders.com Please feel free to reach me there.

It's important that everyone understands what we're offering here is so far removed from what you're used to in terms of material quality and design. These headers are extremely labor intensive mainly due to the dog leg style port and what it takes to shape the port and create a smooth transition while using a 3/8" thick flange. As racers ourselves we understand exactly how not to hurt performance by screwing up the inlet of our headers. The AMC port design requires much more attention, (an understatement to say the least).

The second factor are the flanges. They require an additional process of machining angles across the tie bar to allow for easy spark plug socket clearance. Again due to the 3/8" thick flange but it's worth it guys. Going 3/8" eliminates the possibility of warping.

Third, the 304 S/S material used will never rust or corrode. There's no need for ceramic coating. All ARH material is 100% USA made.

Fourth, our systems come with a lifetime guarantee to the original buyer. They are built to buy, install and enjoy indefinitely.

Guys these factors drive the cost but if you do a little research about ARH, you'll see we have an excellent reputation built upon our relentless pursuit to always raise the bar and go places and do things others won't. Since their inception, ARH is the exclusive supplier of headers for all Mopar'sV8/V10 Drag Pack's, GM's COPO's and Ford's Cobra Jet cars. All built to compete with each other. I recommend looking into these cars if you aren't already familiar.

Lastly I'd like to say why we decided to offer an AMC line in the first place. I've personally been a huge Oldsmobile fan and racer for well over 30 years. I know exactly what it's like to not have options for headers or that the options available weren't worth the material they were made from. I remedied that for Olds enthusiasts long ago and for quite a while I've wanted to take care of the AMC crowd. We're half way there with large body headers. In time, I assure you, we will get the small body cars done. I'm looking forward to that.

Nick

Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

Boris, without question we will get the small body cars done. We just need to see how things work out with these large body headers. The response has been great so far with many interested. Once these headers are off and running we will actively search for a small body car locally (we're in NY on Long Island) to bring in for the prototype. Stay tuned.

Nick

Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 7:04am
Originally posted by dbomb dbomb wrote:

Will these be ground draggers like most other brands or will they tuck up a bit higher and nicer. That was my concern with all the other long tubes I've seen my car is a street car driver gotta go up driveways and occasional speed bumps. Not just up a trailer ramp. Sounds great let us know more and pricing.

Dbomb, bottoming out our headers will require destroying the entire undercarriage of your car. Think Dukes of Hazzard 20ft cliff jump. It's not going to happen. We've got you covered.

Nick

Posted By: tomslik
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 7:04am
Originally posted by A.R. Headers A.R. Headers wrote:

Boris, without question we will get the small body cars done. We just need to see how things work out with these large body headers. The response has been great so far with many interested. Once these headers are off and running we will actively search for a small body car locally (we're in NY on Long Island) to bring in for the prototype. Stay tuned.

Nick

too bad you're not closer....

-------------

67 american 290/4speed

Posted By: steinercj5
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 8:27am
Great to hear that a new quality product is being offered for AMC. I hope the big car headers sell good. I have a small car (American) and agree that there might be just as many sales (if not more) for small bodies. Thanks   -Greg

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 8:36am

I'm serious. We have just as many gremlin/ hornets around as we have javelins

x2

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 8:48am
I also love seeing a new product out there for our AMC cars, but I do have a couple of questions.

I wonder why we can't have a header that works for both big and small cars as it would seem that a well designed header for the small cars would also fit into the larger engine bay. Maybe a little bit of additional design work, but you double your sales potential without having to carry two product lines.

Also, I know it's a tiny blip on the sales radar, but I can already see that these wont fit our Aussie right hand drive cars.

Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 8:59am
Sounds great Nick. Got any pics? I'm here in Nj and with ETown Raceway out of the question this car will be on the street more than anything   Raceway closing off Drag Racing really suxx

-------------

Posted By: tufcj
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 9:02am
I would definitely be interested in a set for small body.  May I suggest that you design a set that will clear the Control Freak front suspension on the small body.  There are currently no small body  headers on the market that will clear the Control Freak K member.

Bob
tufcj

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford

Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 11:39am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I also love seeing a new product out there for our AMC cars, but I do have a couple of questions.

I wonder why we can't have a header that works for both big and small cars as it would seem that a well designed header for the small cars would also fit into the larger engine bay. Maybe a little bit of additional design work, but you double your sales potential without having to carry two product lines.

Also, I know it's a tiny blip on the sales radar, but I can already see that these wont fit our Aussie right hand drive cars.

Westernred,   that's a good question. The truth is, if it were even possible to have a set for both, you'd more than likely have to make some concessions to the design for the smaller body chassis. Why would you want that to transfer over to the bigger bodies that have more space? The great news is that the bigger body cars did provide us enough room to design a real badass set of headers.

Of course, when the time comes, we will take advantage of every square inch given to us and build an amazing set of headers for the smaller cars.

Guys please keep in mind that we can provide all the parts needed to build your own headers for RHD models or any application that off the beaten path.

Nick

Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 6:41pm

Nick

Small tube headers are easy to get and reasonably cheep.
Those of us with big motors are kinda screwed.

A strong stroker 401+ would love a 1.875+ header even if unequal length
is required to make it happen.

Hooker still makes 1.75" small body headers.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Posted By: asifnyc
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 6:48pm
re how low they hang...

are there any pictures?  do they hang BELOW the frame rails?  on my road race Javelin I want (need) the exhaust to not be any lower than the frame rails.  I did this with shorties (which meant 1 5/8") but of course it cost a lot of HP.

Would buy these if they allow the exhaust to tuck up inside frame rails.

thanks.

-------------

https://asifnyc.com" rel="nofollow - asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects

Posted By: harry401
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 7:16pm

Guys, I'll gladly quote you all via email, nick@americanracinheaders.com Please feel free to reach me there.

It's important that everyone understands what we're offering here is so far removed from what you're used to in terms of material quality and design. These headers are extremely labor intensive mainly due to the dog leg style port and what it takes to shape the port and create a smooth transition while using a 3/8" thick flange. As racers ourselves we understand exactly how not to hurt performance by screwing up the inlet of our headers. The AMC port design requires much more attention, (an understatement to say the least).

The second factor are the flanges. They require an additional process of machining angles across the tie bar to allow for easy spark plug socket clearance. Again due to the 3/8" thick flange but it's worth it guys. Going 3/8" eliminates the possibility of warping.

Third, the 304 S/S material used will never rust or corrode. There's no need for ceramic coating. All ARH material is 100% USA made.

Fourth, our systems come with a lifetime guarantee to the original buyer. They are built to buy, install and enjoy indefinitely.

Guys these factors drive the cost but if you do a little research about ARH, you'll see we have an excellent reputation built upon our relentless pursuit to always raise the bar and go places and do things others won't. Since their inception, ARH is the exclusive supplier of headers for all Mopar'sV8/V10 Drag Pack's, GM's COPO's and Ford's Cobra Jet cars. All built to compete with each other. I recommend looking into these cars if you aren't already familiar.

Lastly I'd like to say why we decided to offer an AMC line in the first place. I've personally been a huge Oldsmobile fan and racer for well over 30 years. I know exactly what it's like to not have options for headers or that the options available weren't worth the material they were made from. I remedied that for Olds enthusiasts long ago and for quite a while I've wanted to take care of the AMC crowd. We're half way there with large body headers. In time, I assure you, we will get the small body cars done. I'm looking forward to that.

Nick

I have to laugh at all these folks looking for special accommodations for their particular needs in a niche market to begin with. Really a BW dipstick interference problem? A ground clearance problem on a lowered racecar? A big HP engine in a small body? RH drive?etc etc etc.... We should be fortunate anyone has invested R&D $$$ in producing even a good stainless header to begin with. A 1-3/4/1-7/8 big body header is the perfect starting point to refine the product for the rest of you and if that doesn't work for you then just spend the freaking coin on custom headers and shut up

Posted By: steinercj5
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 7:26pm
As I understood, people were asking what applications they might fit(or not fit). Not asking for a special "one off" for themselves. I also think it's a great starting point and just sharing out loud that if they sell well, I'm hoping for small body ones next. -Greg

Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 8:04pm

I have to laugh at all these folks looking for special accommodations for their particular needs in a niche market to begin with. Really a BW dipstick interference problem? A ground clearance problem on a lowered racecar? A big HP engine in a small body? RH drive?etc etc etc.... We should be fortunate anyone has invested R&D $$$ in producing even a good stainless header to begin with. A 1-3/4/1-7/8 big body header is the perfect starting point to refine the product for the rest of you and if that doesn't work for you then just spend the freaking coin on custom headers and shut up
[/QUOTE]

I didn't think asking if they fit the stock transmission in the car that they were designed to fit was asking for a lot!

Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 8:07pm
My cars not a race car
If I pay 1500 plus for a set of headers I'd be concerned on fitment too

Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 9:02pm

My cars not a race car
If I pay 1500 plus for a set of headers I'd be concerned on fitment too

And you'd have every right to be. This is why ARH is really a unique company. If our system doesn't fit we don't expect our customers to take a sledge hammer to them. We'll work to make them right or we refund your money back. It's that simple. Obviously we don't offer products that aren't made to fit. They should fit great and perform like no other can.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Posted By: asifnyc
Date Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 11:50pm
Hi Nick,

Despite Harry not approving of my question I'd still love to get some info/pics on the fitment in a car (Javelin).  The video of the headers on the table look fantastic.  Thanks.

-------------

https://asifnyc.com" rel="nofollow - asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects

Posted By: 4015spdJavAMX
Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 3:07am
I'm with Asif on this one, want to know how they hang relative to frame rails.

-------------
1972 Jav-AMX 401 4-speed....T56 next?
1970 AMX 390 auto, now 5-speed
1970 AMX 390 4-speed, stock

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 5:00am
IMO about hang with production header fittment... so all you guys who are nagging about hang are overlooking the fact of fit over function, and the wider compatibly option.

Sure someone could tuck a new header and make it be to your needs, but will it work for someone else who has a different engine tranny combo in a 70 or 75 body???

Greyhound did a beautiful thread on his mod to tuck a header to fit his ride. I assume if you want the cleanest fit while tucking them away, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE MODS TO THE HEADERS. I figured by my early question, that when someone wants to have a customised fit, they would be looking for a custom kit. IMO that is the only way to make it work when so much is needed in design for clearances.

One last point... I do believe the headers WILL be a lot better than what is currently available in fit, but for heat and ease of installation, it is not going to be 100% perfect out of the box, if you expect it to fit like a tight fitting pair of jeans.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 5:48am
I think it's really great seeing somebody bring a new high quality header to the market for our AMC cars. I think my question regarding RHD cars was addressed well, if we can buy them as a kit and build them with some modifications to suit our cars then that is a lot more than anybody else offers. If small car headers are in the pipeline, than that is awesome and the big car guys can have a high performance header without compromise to fit into the smaller body. Maybe a small car header that fits a big car would suit people with multiple platforms since these should last a lifetime and maybe move between cars as our needs change. 

Ground clearance is a significant issue for some of us, I know I smashed my brand new headers on the concrete the first time I drove my car out of the shed. I don't think you can realistically get them tucked up inside the frame rails but you don't want them dragging on the ground either. Some pictures of them installed in a car would definitely help,

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 6:02am
Make a set of 1.875+ for small body cars and you will have the back order situation from heck...

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 6:24am
Ha ha yes, I have a small body car in Australia and I put it back to left hand drive so that I could get off the shelf headers, just have to wait a little longer now.

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 7:24am
Guys,

If you read back thru this thread you'll see I've mentioned it a couple of times. Ground clearance WILL NOT be an issue. Other than compensating a little space for 3-1/2" collectors, our collectors are up as high as the floor allows. As manufacturers that have seen the garbage others sell for decades, we address ground clearance and all the others issues that have been plaguing header design for the past 50 years.

I don't have pictures presently but I will work on that with a customer that's local with a Machine and try to snap some photos. I still have his headers but will arrange to drop them off and bolt them up. Thx.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 7:56am
Good stuff A.R, you know we like pictures of cool AMC stuff more than porn around here.

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 9:18am
Originally posted by harry401 harry401 wrote:

Nick

had to chuckle at Harry401 response in some ways he's right about special accomdations custom headers might be necessary for some older models weird race cars etc I'm just concerned about the current cars. I know about 4 people locally with big body cars that would like good headers that won't drag ground even on a stock height car . Whether it be entering your driveway or pulling a wheelie it sucks when your headers slam . Seems every production set you see on these cars hang down like 2 inches too far. If Nick can shorten the tubes tucking them up it would be awesome One other thing is that most all the boxshipped headers I've installed on these cars seem to be copies of others. If Nick gets his jigs right he could possibly contract out and mass produce them out of mild steel and sell a bunk load to the non racers non car show guys that just want an affordable set of long tubes.   On the RH drive issue won't it mainly just be an issue of making a different RS header ? Of course he's gotta have a RH car to fab with. I think we all can agree that AMCs are a semi small market so kudos to Nick for addressing our concerns 👍👍

-------------

Posted By: Jan Phersson
Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 10:33am
I will install a set in my 69AMX next week. Pictures to follow.

Originally posted by asifnyc asifnyc wrote:

Hi Nick,

Despite Harry not approving of my question I'd still love to get some info/pics on the fitment in a car (Javelin).  The video of the headers on the table look fantastic.  Thanks.

Posted By: BrotherBamc
Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 11:01am
You can put me down for a set of small bodied when the come out. 
Gremlin with 401-4 speed please. Big smile

-------------
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
http://www.lxforums.com/board/garage.php?do=user_garage_view&id=19745" rel="nofollow - My Garage

Posted By: jblue1555
Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 12:03pm
2.100.00 dollars  

Posted By: THE MENACE
Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 12:13pm
I would like to thank ARH for spending the time and resources to design and develop headers for the AMC market.

Seems like a lot of people think it's easy to design headers. It might be easy enough to design a one off custom set, but it takes an extreme amount of time and talent to design a high quality set of headers to be mass produced. I designed and developed headers for Edelbrock for 20 + years and I can see that a lot of people don't realize all that is involved. First design and fabricate a prototype, then test fit the prototype on multiple vehicles to verify design and fit, then develop the bend programs from each primary tube. Then there are all of the many fixtures that need to be fabricated to be able to built the headers on a production basis. More hoops to get through than most think about!

These guys (ARH) make some really nice stuff, so I'm really looking forward to seeing these headers installed on a car!      

-------------
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by jblue1555 jblue1555 wrote:

2.100.00 dollars  

That is not correct. You were misquoted if that's what you were told. They are far less than that.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 1:11pm
how much less  

Posted By: 343sharpstick
Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 2:28pm
How did I miss this!?
If I didn't already have headers I would be all over these! If these can be bolted on with no modification, then any cost south of 2G is probably a good deal.

I like my Dougs headers, but I did need to do a bit of work to get them fit properly. I had to clearance the flanges for the spark plugs/boots. I had to clean up the inside of the tube where it bolts to the head so I wouldn't loose flow. I cut off the 3-bolt flange and bolted up a ball connector.
I had to modify the motor mount as well. and when it was all done, I sent them off to be jet-hot coated.

That all took a fair amount of time and additional money after the initial purchase. So as I said, if these are bolt-on, then that's a win for the customer over all the other options.

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 2:34pm
Menace, perhaps Edelbrock could test a set of these with that fancy new intake?

Mostly kidding, I know this would be unlikely.
I was just thinking that having a package available with the new manifold, efi, eddy heads, and these new headers, all finished off with the appropriate cam and a good EFI-tune would sure make throwing a 401 package together easy for the community.

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 2:46pm
[QUOTE=THE MENACE] I would like to thank ARH for spending the time and resources to design and develop headers for the AMC market.

Seems like a lot of people think it's easy to design headers. It might be easy enough to design a one off custom set, but it takes an extreme amount of time and talent to design a high quality set of headers to be mass produced. I designed and developed headers for Edelbrock for 20 + years and I can see that a lot of people don't realize all that is involved. First design and fabricate a prototype, then test fit the prototype on multiple vehicles to verify design and fit, then develop the bend programs from each primary tube. Then there are all of the many fixtures that need to be fabricated to be able to built the headers on a production basis. More hoops to get through than most think about!

These guys (ARH) make some really nice stuff, so I'm really looking forward to seeing these headers installed on a car!

Menace, you sound like someone I need to hire. LOL. I do appreciate you laying out what the process actually is. It is time consuming for sure but the AMC prototype was most especially difficult for reasons we've already touched upon.

Like I've already mentioned, I'm thrilled to be able to contribute to this community of nice people with amazing cars. I firmly believe it's a game changer. I certain wish we did this sooner.

Nick       

-------------
American Racing Headers

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by jblue1555 jblue1555 wrote:

how much less  

Earlier in the thread he asked that anyone wanting a quote email the company for it.

If he wants to go to all the trouble of seeking us out, then designing and building speed parts for our orphaned brand,
I can repect his right to quote privately, rather than publicly.

Lots of vendors operate this way on other sites so I don't blame them for doing it.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 4:12pm
And if I hadn’t posted the quote he couldn’t reply and I could have been overcharged

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 4:34pm
Guys,

We wanted to provide you an update. The headers are now available to purchase on our website. Please visit the following link to see more.

https://americanracingheaders.com/products/amc-amx-headers

-------------
American Racing Headers

Posted By: Hurst390
Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 5:14pm
Glad to see your making them..Lots of interest here..I hope it transfers into sales for you.
There is more to making a production header than one might realize. You have to design it so that each tube can be produced in a bender..That means you have to allow room for the clamp of the bender to fit between the bends. That limits your design choices..
When you make a custom header out of a box of bends then you can cut and weld to make whatever you want fit anywhere you want...
Again glad to see a new product out. I hope you sell a bunch..

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Posted By: SC397
Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 5:45pm
I have tried to get the company that I work for to make AMC headers as a one size fits all vehicles including the CJ Jeeps and the full size Jeeps.  The typical problem is, too low of volume for to large of company. 
As I have stated, If you included the Jeep crowd I would bet you would double sales.
Good Luck!

Date Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 9:05am
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

I have tried to get the company that I work for to make AMC headers as a one size fits all vehicles including the CJ Jeeps and the full size Jeeps.  The typical problem is, too low of volume for to large of company. 
As I have stated, If you included the Jeep crowd I would bet you would double sales.
Good Luck!

SC397,

Based on the enthusiasm we're seeing here I wouldn't rule out diving into the CJ's. We'll need more information when the time comes but the single best way to assess what we can do is to see one in person at our facility. If anyone is local that could stop in please feel free to contact us. Thanks.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 12:15pm
I have to respect you guys for jumping into what the majority of people would probably call a low volume, niche market.  Congratulations for showing the initiative, I hope it works out for you.  

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I have to respect you guys for jumping into what the majority of people would probably call a low volume, niche market.  Congratulations for showing the initiative, I hope it works out for you.  

Thanks 6Pak. Yes it's niche but we still felt this group has been neglected long enough. Every domestic muscle car segment deserves a high end stainless steel option that ARH is know for. We're happy to be that manufacturer.

-------------
American Racing Headers

Posted By: ScrambledEgg
Date Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 7:32am

Nick

Cool!!!

-------------
ScrambledEgg

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 8:51am
Nick,

After years of struggling with headers that I would not use to plumb a toilet it is fantastic to see a new choice in the market place. I can't wait to see if this will carry over to the small body market.

Thank you.  Clap

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Posted By: Brad
Date Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 12:15pm
Anyone have these installed in a 71-74 Javelin that could post some pictures? 

Date Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Brad Brad wrote:

Anyone have these installed in a 71-74 Javelin that could post some pictures? 

They got introduced to the public (on the forum) about 4 days ago...it’s unlikely at this juncture.

Date Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 4:18pm
Guys,

Stay tuned. With the response we're getting it won't be long before pictures are posted. Just a matter of time. Thanks.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Date Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 8:13pm
Thank you for you're efforts, and I hope they sell like,

is there an option for O2 bungs?

-------------

Posted By: texasamx
Date Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 9:18pm
Looks like you guys are going to make a bunch of AMC'ERS happy. Good luck and hope you sell a lot of headers.  

-------------
texasamx

Posted By: kingsX
Date Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 7:13am
I talked with Nick yesterday and ordered a set. He’s a very cool guy and great to deal with. I can’t wait for mine to get here!!!!!

-------------
73 AMX Javelin PC

Date Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by kingsX kingsX wrote:

I talked with Nick yesterday and ordered a set. He’s a very cool guy and great to deal with. I can’t wait for mine to get here!!!!!

KingsX, It was great talking to you as well and thank you for jumping on board and ordering a system. We look forward to getting them in your hands and bolted up to that Javelin.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Posted By: one bad rambler
Date Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 7:37pm
I saw the video and have seen there work first hand....Very impressive to say the least...I will be waiting for the small car version for the altered wheelbase and when the Concord gets the 401......This might sound like a ridiculous question but my son wanted to know if they would be offered in kit form ...being he`s a welder

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Date Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 8:21pm
Without question we'd be happy to provide all the parts in kit form to build a custom set of headers. We're just a phone call away guys. Thanks.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 2:30am
Headers just arrived to the shop. Dogleg port, 1 7/8 with 3" collector. Will test fit on the stock 390, after that send for dyno with the stroker 427.
I'll post pics for as soon we are done.

Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 10:56am
Pics from todays installation. (Survivor AMX 1969)
Theses headers are intended for a 427 stroker engine, did this to test fit and completion of exhaust system before shipping headers to be dynoed with stroker engine.
It took less then 1 hour to swap to headers, only thing needed to be removed is the clutch linkage. Great fit.

Posted By: Red Devil
Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 11:23am
Thanks for posting pictures. They hang a bit low .. but maybe a bit less than others? If possible, could you measure distance from top of collector tube to floor pan or bottom of primary tubes to frame rail or to engine cross member?

Also, one pipe looks a bit close to the sump on the pan. Could you measure from bottom of sump up to the tube or clearance between sump and tube? I have an Armando road race pan that is deeper than stock but 12" wide and just barely clears one pipe on Hooker 7103s.

Thanks,RD

Posted By: 71-SST
Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 12:27pm
Is it just me or do they seem to hang just as low as other headers. Saw the video on facebook also. Nice but..............https://www.facebook.com/jan.phersson/videos/2318676554824569/

Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 12:48pm
The only headers that may have more ground clearance would be the Dougs D-103, however those are only 1 3/4 and these are 1 7/8. The Javelin/AMX has only so much room under the floor where the collector sits. Based on what I can see these are as much ground clearance that could be expected with a 1 7/8 long tube header.
Nicely done.

Posted By: Ken_Parkman
Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 1:12pm
That's a very nice fit, very good for a long tube header.

Posted By: myrambler
Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 1:58pm
Im in if you can come up with a set that fit the 66-69 American that clear the strut rod on passenger side, tight fitting for ground clearance and in a 1-5/8 diameter for the 290 and 343 square port engines.

Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 3:13pm
AMC owners,

We would like to share our fist customer video with you, showing a walk around of an AMX 4 speed car with our brand new headers installed. 

As you can see, ground clearance is not an issue with the design of our system. Please let us know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns about the system that are not previously addressed. 

Thank you,
ARH

http://www.facebook.com/jan.phersson/videos/2318676554824569/" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/jan.phersson/videos/2318676554824569/

-------------
American Racing Headers

Posted By: addic
Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 4:19pm
ok ,I need two sets please.  

-------------
73 401 Pierre Cardin X P1
73 401 Pierre Cardin X F3     70 X 390 4spd
69 X 401 6 spd
69 AMX 401 auto BSO
73 AMX 401 4speed pc
73 vette 427sb 5spd
73 vette convt.?
08 zx14

Posted By: one bad rambler
Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 7:16pm
They fit really nice!!!!!!

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Posted By: cw05
Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 8:15pm
Maybe a stupid question but how does the heat transfer with stainless headers compare to ceramic coated steel headers? I assume that the stainless ones would be as hot (ie, not as cool as ceramic advertised) as a regular painted mild steel header but not sure.  Thanks and I look forward to hopefully seeing these made for CJ Jeeps.

Date Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 9:33pm
Guys,

The reason we manufacture all our products using 304 S/S is to avoid the need for coating. On the rare occasion that we coat it's usually because the application is boosted and spends a lot of time on a road course during the hot summer months. All other instances are when the customer simply insists on it and that's not very often.

If you must have it just let us know where to ship them to and we'll make it happen. It truly is not necessary or it would already be included in the package. Hope that helps.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Posted By: Ram Air Rick
Date Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 7:18am
 A.R.

Those look like a they are very well thought out and crafted. Your willingness to work with the AM community is refreshing and appreciated !   Beautiful !!!

Rich C.

Date Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 7:41am
I don't see why peeps are negative about the hang on the headers. They are perfect, and can't see a better product being offered.

Can't wait to order a kit if my designs pull through, or just by completed headers if not... It so happens not to be the right time for me to spend money on it.

The only issue I see is, they need O2 bungs for a nice bolt in for our guys with EFI. Maybe you can quickly make the small change up before the orders are all done. One thing that I would look for, even if a carb setup is used. Simple upgradablity for future plans.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles

Date Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 8:45am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

I don't see why peeps are negative about the hang on the headers. They are perfect, and can't see a better product being offered.

Can't wait to order a kit if my designs pull through, or just by completed headers if not... It so happens not to be the right time for me to spend money on it.

The only issue I see is, they need O2 bungs for a nice bolt in for our guys with EFI. Maybe you can quickly make the small change up before the orders are all done. One thing that I would look for, even if a carb setup is used. Simple upgradablity for future plans.

Guys, O2 bungs come standard on every set. Maybe you can't see it in every picture but they are there. In fact there's one on each side on the collectors so you can read each bank independently if you like. It's another base covered guys.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Date Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 9:37am
Bungs in each header just upstream collector

Date Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 9:49am
Pipes sit 1" under oil pan.

Collector 1.5" under frame rail. And remember that with the supplied V-band there is no collector flange.

Posted By: kingsX
Date Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 6:55pm
I just got my set in the mail today. Very good quality. The dogleg port couldnt be better. Super smooth transition into the pipes.   They also have great clearance for bolting up to the heads. I can’t wait to get my car out of storage and get my new stroker motor hooked up to these.   Big thanks to Nick for supporting AMC with a new great product!!!!!

-------------
73 AMX Javelin PC

Posted By: myrambler
Date Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 7:33pm
Hope they develop the small car sets soon. I love to put a set on my 67 Rogue. Just curious on how much you paid for a set.

Date Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 8:20pm
KingsX,

I really appreciate you as well for sharing your thoughts. I look forward to seeing your ride on the road and rowing through the gears. Keep us posted with your progress. Thanks.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Posted By: klvn8r
Date Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 2:20pm
Looking nice!!!   I will be considering these in the future for a vintage B/Prod road racer.

klvn8r

Date Posted: Feb/28/2018 at 11:05am
Just bringing this back to the top guys. Whatever you guys could do to get the word out through other forms of social media would be greatly appreciated. We're fairly certain that there's many hardcore AMC enthusiasts that still aren't aware of these new header systems. Thanks.

Nick   

-------------
American Racing Headers

Date Posted: Feb/28/2018 at 11:26am
double-post

Date Posted: Feb/28/2018 at 11:34am
Hi Nick,

Any plans to tweak the design to work with non-stock oil pans? Based on feedback from Jan on the 1 7/8" primary version, there's only about 1/4" clearance between the #6 pipe and the stock pan, so expect clearance may be an issue for those running Milodon, Canton, Armando or Aviaid road-race style pans.

Not sure if the smaller 1 3/4" pipes would gain enough room for road-race style wide-sump pans?

Thanks,RD

Date Posted: Feb/28/2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Hi Nick,

Any plans to tweak the design to work with non-stock oil pans? Based on feedback from Jan on the 1 7/8" primary version, there's only about 1/4" clearance between the #6 pipe and the stock pan, so expect clearance may be an issue for those running Milodon, Canton, Armando or Aviaid road-race style pans.

Not sure if the smaller 1 3/4" pipes would gain enough room for road-race style wide-sump pans?

Thanks,RD

RD,

It's hard to be everything for everybody. I don't believe the headers will be a problem for drag race style deep pans. I will say this, given the opportunity we won't rule out making adjustments if someone local to us was able to supply a vehicle with a road race style pan bolted up. It's also important to note that as good as our headers are, making a clearance adjustment to your existing pans, as long as it isn't too egregious, is time well spent. We do have a full refund policy if our headers don't work. We do not force anyone to keep our headers if they won't work with you application.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net