Forum Description: Your latest numbers, events you attended and more
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90345
Printed Date: Apr/19/2024 at 9:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stock 401 Block/ Stock 401 Crank - Power Output
Posted By: PROSTOCKTOM
Subject: Stock 401 Block/ Stock 401 Crank - Power Output
Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 8:33pm
I was just wondering how much power has been made from a normally aspirated AMC engine using a factory 401 block and and factory 401 crankshaft. I will assume that 4-bolt caps would have been used and the crankshaft would have been treated to all the tricks as well. Friend of mine thinks 600 HP is the best you could get from these pieces and keep it living. I am thinking that there is still room for a lot more than 600 HP if you take care of the parts, so what say you? I am sure there are several guys on here that have done a lot better and lived to tell about it. Thanks Tom

Replies:
Posted By: stickshifter
Date Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 7:06am
I know I was in the 850~900 range before going to the dark side of nitrous.  And I believe Bill's blue Rambler is in the 750~800 range.

Is it a question of durability or power potential?  With a iron block and OEM crank I went 7.73 @ 174mph at 2750 pounds which comes out to 1100hp with some spray.  But that was with a completely filled block.  The block and crank can handle 1000hp but I would not want to push it past that very often.

-------------
   7.03 @ 196 mph

Posted By: jpnjim
Date Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 8:13am
I am a mere babe in the woods when it comes to big numbers like this,
but I would think it would also depend on what he's doing with it.

A 600hp road racer will see things that an 1100hp 1/4 mile racer may never see (and vice versa).

Just like a salt bed racer will see more WOT time than either of those.
Then again, an hour in rush hour traffic might kill any of those three engines.

Is your friend building something to see that max HP for 9 seconds, 9 minutes or 9 hours at a time?

(Just curious)

-------------
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords

Date Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 10:26am
The question was posted in the drag race section.  So I would assume that is the application.

-------------
   7.03 @ 196 mph

Date Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 11:29am
Originally posted by stickshifter stickshifter wrote:

The question was posted in the drag race section.  So I would assume that is the application.

You are correct, 
sorry
 I should have taken more notice to where this was posted. 

-------------

Posted By: Hurst390
Date Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 4:20pm
nevermind

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Date Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 8:06pm
I would have figured Kevin had built a monster with stock parts before moving up to Indy parts.
Probably had home ported iron heads on it as well. Sounds like 800 HP would be a good reliable point.
that wouldn't break a guys wallet to bad. My friend Jeff has a 65 Rambler drag car and wanted to step it up a little. 
Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.
Tom

Date Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 8:09pm
This is kinda misleading.  There is a difference between what an OEM crank and block can handle verses what an OEM block, crank, and heads can produce.  In the world of AMC OEM parts, the heads become the limiting factor far before the block and crank.  But that limit is still WAY above the normal for other brand OEM heads.

-------------
   7.03 @ 196 mph

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 4:41am
Considerations when stock stroke vs modified stock crank for more stoke?

Posted By: POS #1
Date Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 8:35am
iron block half filled, stock crank stroked to 3.80   indy sr heads...
dyno 748 hp,, has been living since 2007....
I would call that dependable....

Date Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

iron block half filled, stock crank stroked to 3.80   indy sr heads...
dyno 748 hp,, has been living since 2007....
I would call that dependable....

That sounds like a winner.

Tom

Posted By: amx390ssc
Date Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 9:51am
Any engine from the muscle car era for high end performance  1.8hp -2.0hp per cubic inch is attainable but Very very difficult!!!!!! remember no power adders
1.8 x 401= 721hp................2.0 x 401=802hp ( never heard of one making 802 with iron heads)

good luck!!!

Posted By: pfordamx
Date Posted: Jan/29/2018 at 10:56pm
where putting together a combination for a local stockblock class that has a couple rules that might change the answer to the above question, 1. no hardblock, don't ask me why i didn't write the rules, rule 2. no billet main caps, factory caps only. i think the idea behind 2 is to keep cost down we are going to use a stud girdle and they don't allow aftermarket cranks so we will be using 3.80 stroke 2.10 journal 401 crank the block is going to 4.185 bore 6.125 rods. were trying keep it under 420inchs which should make a 418. there is a 100lb weight break for being under 420 cubes and we didn't think we would gain enough power from a extra 6-9 cubes to make up for 100lbs on the car. also thicker walls might help with stability since no hardblock. theres a 230cc intake runner limit and we have some 401-srs that adkins is currently working on to port and fill to keep us legal, the cam hasn't been decided yet it'll be a custom ground solid roller we'll work that out once the heads are done any input would be appreciated if you guys no a good cam guy. compression is going to be in the 15.1 range were toying with intakes we have dominator flanged herman lewis and a indy we are also limited to a 950cfm 4150 so the herman lewis would have to be adapted. i'm open to any input on this combo but also curious if you guys think it will live.

Date Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 3:31pm
I'm not an expert on block durability,
but what oil mods are you planning?
Is that 15:1 with E85?
how much HP & what RPM are you planning on?

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 4:23pm
Yes on E85 more accurately probably closer to e87-e90 but anyway we ran Ethanol all last year and love the stuff and our carb builder doesn't think it will be an issue. the engine has a custom pan dual external line setup the line in the galley and a few other tricks John does to them, John Garland is assembling it. how much hp idk i hope for more than 650 but we will take what ever we can get out of it plan on shifting at about 7600 and trapping close to 8000 is my goal.

Posted By: kracex
Date Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 8:08pm
What ET do you need to run at what weight to be competitive?

-------------
69 amx racecar
70 amx BBG S.Mask
70 amx
73 gremlin

Date Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 10:15pm
currently the 1/4 mile record is in the 10.20s 1/8th mile is like a 6.43 however i have a feeling to be really competitive next year you will need to be solidly in the 9.90-9.70 range. and our car has to weight 3100lbs. race weight

Date Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 7:46pm
You should get there with what you have going on. Call Bullet cams tell them what your doing and where you what it to rev to. What trans you running?

-------------
69 amx racecar
70 amx BBG S.Mask
70 amx
73 gremlin

Date Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 8:20pm
727 torque flight with a brake and about 6000rpm Converter currently. we plan to dyno the new motor when complete and send the sheet off with the converter and get it tweaked to work with new motor combo. 

Date Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 8:46pm
I really love posting a topic on any forum only to have  the original subject diluted.

So if you guys do not mind please take your other discussions to your own post and let mine get back to  discussion about stock block/ crank information, not what your car runs, what cam you used, or what transmission/ converter you used, 

Thanks,
Tom

Date Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 9:18pm
sorry tom, i did ask if people thought it would live, and its pretty relevant since how many amcs built like this do you know of that still have factory main caps and cranks and no hardblock. however i do get you point and will probably start my own thread.

Date Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 9:32pm
10-4

-------------
69 amx racecar
70 amx BBG S.Mask
70 amx
73 gremlin

Posted By: 401jim
Date Posted: Apr/08/2018 at 6:32am
Tom , I raced a Hornet with a STOCK block and a 382 stroke and went 9.89 @ 141 M.P.H. 35 years ago. It lasted for over 400 1/4 mile passes before I sold all my stuff. I think a stock block will last up to 8 or 9 hundred horses! After that all bets are off! AMC made very good iron back then.   Jim

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net